Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

evilmiera posted:

Well, I'm certainly hit with laughter at some of the animations in cutscenes. Not that it is generally bad but there are moments when things just go crazy or you wonder how that person is making that face and why.

But you're right, I had a hard time investing myself in this world emotionally so far.

My favourite one of these is when you first meet Kelly on the citadel. There is an interrupt to give her a hug. Then the shot cuts to a close up of Kelly talking and then cuts back out to show Shepard and Kelly in the hugging pose only they are standing a foot or so apart from each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of silly animations:

So, when I first played through the game while writing the guide, the character models would frequently just go into the standard 'ready' standing position, their arms held out to the side at an angle, their legs pointed straight down, facing forward with completely lifeless expressions on their faces (if applicable).

This would happen at random and never got old. This happened during a romance scene and I about died laughing.

Sometimes, the models would just shift position dramatically. Allers kept falling through the world one night, and Garrus was often found calibrating the guns while his head was stuck in the roof. I walked into the hospital to speak with Ashley, and she was floating roughly three feet over her bed, lying down in mid air. When she talked to Shepard, she would turn her head in a full circle to try to face him, but her eyes didn't follow her face, staying pointed straight at the ceiling. It was some horror-movie level stuff.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Romes128 posted:

Thane was killed by the sword guy if you interacted with him before that scene.

I was legitimately pissed at this and wanted revenge so bad. Made that renegade action SOOOO good during that boss fight though.

Commander Shepard, his hate is so strong he can punch through swords with his bare hands.

Thane in general had a real downer role in 3 though. The whole crippled assassin watching out over Kaiden in the hospital dialog bit was so good. I always liked Thane in ME2 and I was sad to see him go in this.

Man all my favorite characters bite it in this except for Garrus. Legion especially I was so hoping I could have rolled with team badass snipers again. At least Legion had a happy ending giving his people true life.

Bro-ing out with Garrus with beers and sniper rifles though.. Highlight of the game for me.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Regarding a scene where Shepard has a laser targeting thingie:
This is only hard if you try to shoot the Destroyer as soon as the laser is ready. Instead, just run off to the side a bit and start targeting it as soon as it is apparent the doom-beam won't hit you. Once you realise that the targeting laser stays active indefinitely once it is ready and that you don't have to rush it this scene is very easy. Also stay perfectly still while aiming, as moving slows it down. You are welcome.

Regarding Shepard's slow motion dream sequences, I thought they worked really well, although happened too often. I don't think he was especially upset about that one boy, it was that that one boy was a representation of all the innocent people of the galaxy that were going to die nightmarish deaths and it was entirely on his shoulders to stop them. Shepard tried to get the boy to come with him so he could save him but he failed. The way he slowly burns to death right in front of Shepard at the end is symbolic of his sense of powerlessness against the Reaper's annihilation of millions of people every single day while Shepard ponderously goes from place to place in the Normandy, light years from the real fight, desperately but agonisingly slowly preparing for a counter attack.

I'm very quick to call bullshit when people do pretentious "arty" stuff for the sake of it, but I thought that scene was done really well.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I just started the game, and jesus christ Jimmy Vega's problem solving :ughh:

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Huh my Shepard was a sole survivor and colonist so I saw it as him reliving those events and seeing how an entirely new generation would grow up just as he did. I guess it all depends on the context you put it in.

By the way sole survivor and colonist is a total downer. Everyone dies all the time and it's super depressing how everyone keeps mentioning it. Then again does make Shep out to be an infinite bad rear end where nothing kills him ever.

Siminu
Sep 6, 2005

No, you are the magic man.

Hell Gem

fivegears4reverse posted:

Speaking of silly animations:

So, when I first played through the game while writing the guide, the character models would frequently just go into the standard 'ready' standing position, their arms held out to the side at an angle, their legs pointed straight down, facing forward with completely lifeless expressions on their faces (if applicable).

This would happen at random and never got old. This happened during a romance scene and I about died laughing.

Sometimes, the models would just shift position dramatically. Allers kept falling through the world one night, and Garrus was often found calibrating the guns while his head was stuck in the roof. I walked into the hospital to speak with Ashley, and she was floating roughly three feet over her bed, lying down in mid air. When she talked to Shepard, she would turn her head in a full circle to try to face him, but her eyes didn't follow her face, staying pointed straight at the ceiling. It was some horror-movie level stuff.

Not quite related to animations, but every now and again (4 or 5 conversations), my Shepard's eyelids became transparent. I got to see full eyeball glancing and bobbling around all googly. It was strangely fitting after some of the creepier missions to have Shep's eyes bug out of his face.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I just started the game, and jesus christ Jimmy Vega's problem solving :ughh:

To be fair, he solved the gently caress out of that problem.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

Siminu posted:

Not quite related to animations, but every now and again (4 or 5 conversations), my Shepard's eyelids became transparent. I got to see full eyeball glancing and bobbling around all googly. It was strangely fitting after some of the creepier missions to have Shep's eyes bug out of his face.

Yeah, I had that a few times with my shep. There were definitely some scenes that could have used a bit of animation tweaking.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006
They really should tell you what system a secondary mission is in, it's been so long since I played mass effect 2 I don't remember crap like that. Alt-tabbing to the wikipedia is the only option. loving Elcor.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Well, I just saw Tali's real face.

Never mind that I had to go through the cheesiest, gayest, most BioWare-esque hamfisted romance scenes ever. I want to know how you still have a lush, thick head of hair when your head's been in an enviro-suit since you were born.

Of course, all was forgiven after the Kai Leng boss battle. That goddamn Renegade interrupt where Shepard turns around, snaps his sword in half, guts him, then goes "That was for Thane, you son of a bitch" got me all :black101:.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

I didn't care for Thane in ME2, but they really stepped up his story in 3. I was impressed.

Also, I didn't talk to or see a single hanar the entire game. Except that ad for Blasto 6: Now with Elcor Sidekick.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

I've been checking lists of powers and it looks like Shredder Ammo, Flashbang Grenade, Geth Shield Boost and Dominate aren't in the game any more. What happens if you transfer a Shepard with those powers? Would be nice to know if I need to respec my ME2 Shep before importing...

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Gato posted:

I've been checking lists of powers and it looks like Shredder Ammo, Flashbang Grenade, Geth Shield Boost and Dominate aren't in the game any more. What happens if you transfer a Shepard with those powers? Would be nice to know if I need to respec my ME2 Shep before importing...

Everything gets melted down to points and you can assign them to the powers that are available to you.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Longshot007 posted:

Also, I didn't talk to or see a single hanar the entire game. Except that ad for Blasto 6: Now with Elcor Sidekick.

Kasumi's shortish questline involving fixing up hacker's poo poo or something has a couple of indoctrinated hanar in it, but basically their world got completely totalled iirc

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Longshot007 posted:

After one of the first Priority mission you'll get an email from a Salarian Spectre, go meet him for a sidequest involving hanars.

Though now that I think about it, you probably only get that sidequest if you did the Kasumi DLC in ME2. (If so you aren't missing much beyond the cameo, it's literally a fetchquest.)

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Alter Ego posted:

Of course, all was forgiven after the Kai Leng boss battle. That goddamn Renegade interrupt where Shepard turns around, snaps his sword in half, guts him, then goes "That was for Thane, you son of a bitch" got me all :black101:.

He killed Miranda, too, in my run. Shepard stabbed his kidneys for both of them. :unsmith:

e: ^^ I got the quest without any of the paid DLC in ME2.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
"Message from Admiral Hackett!"

Bzzt. RROD.

Thanks, Admiral.

A Humble Emperor
Dec 30, 2007

With a big big crown!
The ending.. What. :psyduck: How did the Normandy get to another solar system so it could crash on a planet? How did Tali, who was on Earth next to the conduit, get into the Normandy? Did all the ships around Earth just explode or something? The reapers didn't seem to be exploding, they just turned green a little bit.

Why did Shepard do nothing while Kai Leng killed Thane and stole the Prothean VI? Kai Leng is a terrible antagonist and is layered so thick in plot armor I really think someone high up in Bioware must have come up with him.

Why did the Shroud blow up when the Thresher Maw crashed into it a little bit? Why was it exploding and overheating? Just so Mordin could die a pointless death and make me feel mad?

Why are all the Mass Effect 2 squad members around but I don't get to use any of them? The VAs are there and they already have a shitload of lines, why not just let me take them on missions god drat. Even for a little while.

The ending may even be worse than Deus Ex Human Revolution and that is a pretty mean feat. Oh yeah and gently caress that dumb dead kid what a terrible way of creating drama.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Gato posted:

Your points don't get automatically distributed when you import a new character, you just start with a ton of unassigned points.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

Your points don't get automatically distributed when you import a new character, you just start with a ton of unassigned points.
That's not the case. I started with about four or so powers boosted to their first choice, and 20 points.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I love Tali's combat mask outfit that I guess you get from From Ashes. It's cool.

Also, Legion continues to own incredibly hard. "No. Based on empirical evidence, they are not."

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 9, 2012

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Revenant Threshold posted:

That's not the case. I started with about four or so powers boosted to their first choice, and 20 points.
Me too, but I think those are the ones non-imported characters of your class being with. I could be wrong though.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

I just watched a video of Jalik on Tessia. Unfortunately the guy didn't do any of the optional dialogue. The parts he added were definitely interesting, and if I'd had the DLC he would have gone everywhere with me, regardless of how good/terrible he was.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Longshot007 posted:

I didn't care for Thane in ME2, but they really stepped up his story in 3. I was impressed.

There's at least one in a sidequest.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

There's at least one in a sidequest.

Oh yeah, I vaguely recall not doing that one because the instructions were incredibly vague and apparently its buggy and you can't finish it if you leave the citadel or something?

Porpoise With A Purpose fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Mar 9, 2012

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I just figured out what the ending reminds me of.

The second "V" mini-series from the 1980's, "V: The Final Battle." The Visitors are dying because of the red dust, and Diana has activated the Mothership's self-destruct mechanism.

How is it stopped? Elizabeth, the half-human/half-Visitor child, steps up to the console...and puts her hands on it, there's stupid glowy special effects, and voila! The countdown stops, and everyone is saved.

I was eight years old and rolled my eyes. She had seen Diana use the console time and time again, why couldn't she have just mimicked Diana's actions, or used her "advanced brain" to figure out the termination code?

I thought it was dumb then, and the ending reminded me of that, and it just makes me sigh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Longshot007 posted:

Oh yeah, I vaguely recall not doing that one because its incredibly vague and apparently also really buggy.

A guy asks you to see him in a specific location, then you walk and press a button ~4 times.

How could that get bugged?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

CobiWann posted:

I just figured out what the ending reminds me of.

It honestly reminds me of Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions. Everything is pretty swell until you enter a room with a verbose dude with absurd intentions who creates a cycle of death to prevent death. Then, rather than ending on a high note, you have to make a convoluted and ridiculous sacrifice.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I just checked all the other endings on Youtube. Is there no ending where the portals don't explode? And what about the third ending, where you merge with the synthetics? You'd expect semi-synthetics to not grow old, why the same epilogue?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kiwi Bigtree posted:

It honestly reminds me of Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions. Everything is pretty swell until you enter a room with a verbose dude with absurd intentions who creates a cycle of death to prevent death. Then, rather than ending on a high note, you have to make a convoluted and ridiculous sacrifice.

Jesus Christ. That's it. It's the loving Matrix. Right down to it being a cycle. God drat it Bioware.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I just checked all the other endings on Youtube. Is there no ending where the portals don't explode?

Nope!

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Denial is the most predictable of all human responses. But, rest assured, this will be the sixth time we have destroyed it, and we have become exceedingly efficient at it.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

A guy asks you to see him in a specific location, then you walk and press a button ~4 times.

How could that get bugged?

The buttons you have to press don't work. Like, at all. Even if you activate the quest properly they fail to show up.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Ending:

The synthesis ending is also very close to (BSG spoilers) Battlestar Galactica. Humans must mate with synthetics to offer a new race of half-synthetics, half-humans, in the hope that this would end the constant cycle of synthetics kill organics.

Ham fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Mar 9, 2012

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Combat Pretzel posted:

I just checked all the other endings on Youtube. Is there no ending where the portals don't explode? And what about the third ending, where you merge with the synthetics? You'd expect semi-synthetics to not grow old, why the same epilogue?

Hahahahahaha. Holy poo poo. I honestly thought they were going to rip off the ending to Gurren Lagann [similar concept of cycles, but with giant mecha fighting, and a titantic, literally, galactic last battle], but I can't believe they decided to rip off a complete failure of story-telling.

The thing is, for me, half the game was exactly what I wanted, and the other half was laugh out loud bad, so I could deal. I could deal, that is, if they gave me a half-way decent closure. Screw artistic license. I just want to reload at the Shadow Broker console and spy on all my friends in the post-Reaper11 world.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 9, 2012

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
End game spoilers There is an AI that controls the Citadel and the Reapers and its function is to protect organic life by destroying and harvesting organic life so that organic life can't create AI because those AI would then destroy organic life. To achieve this, the Citadel AI culls organic life using AI it created long ago, mushes them into a paste to be used as the building material for more AI that would destroy organic life in order to protect organic life from AI. To do this, one of the AI has to send a signal to the Citadel so that it can open as a relay and let more AI to come into the galaxy to destroy/save organic life, but the Citadel AI can't activate itself despite it being in control of the AI that is determined to save/kill organic life.

If the Catalyst/Reapers opposed AI so much, why don't they just pop up to destroy just AI?

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Spent all night finishing the game. Saw the ending. Thought I made a mistake. Tried it again. Alt-F4d the game and took a shower, where all of the holes and fridge logic hit me. For some reason I couldn't pick the last P/R option on the Illusive man, even though I had max Paragon. Whatever.

Siminu posted:

Kind of like... this!?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Is this game worth 59.99, or should I just wait till it goes down in price? Do you guys feel you got your moneys worth on the game, as in a satisfying ending, good story, good gameplay, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryan-RB
Mar 19, 2006

If we knew the will of God, then we'd all be Gods, wouldn't we?

randombattle posted:

I totally agree the whole reaper goal since ME2 has been so dumb.. I mean come on "YOU DONT UNDERSTAND WE HAVE TO KILL YOU ALL OR ELSE YOU WILL DIE!" it's just so loving stupid.

I was hella pissed when there was no real way to tell the catalyst gently caress you and shoot him. I spent all that time building up my war forces just to push a magic loving kill the reapers button at the end? So drat lame.

I wanted the ultimate renegade "gently caress you MY WAY!" ending where Shep accomplishes the mission. Not the oh well this child says so then I must do what he says.

I wish I had been right about 2/3rds of the way through when I thought the Crucible would turn the Mass Relays into super accurate railguns that would annhiliate the Reapers in one salvo.

Don't forget: You're there to save Earth too. Not that it redeems the WTF ending and the lack of real options, but you can only save Earth from destruction if you collect over 2,000 in war assets. You have to collect over 2,500 to save Earth from near-total devastation, and you have to collect over 4,000 for Anderson to live.

• Locked thread