Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I've literally not touched ME since I finished the third game. Is the updated ending worth a play-through, and is Leviathan worth a download?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Rutkowski posted:

Same here. I've bought every piece I've found for ME2 and I still haven't gotten Leviathan.
I'm in the same boat, which is why I asked.

They managed to really kill any enthusiasm I had for the series. The feeble stirring of interest I had in it was because I heard it had been released and rewatched that Take Back Earth pre-rendered trailer.

:effort:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Captain Oblivious posted:

Can't agree. Thermal clips improved the flow of battle and forced me to make actual decisions about which weapon to use.
Agree. Conceptually, I loved the overheat mechanic and the fact they were willing to try something so different from the typical shooter. However, from a gameplay standpoint the reloading and swapping made the game faster-paced, more frenetic, and forced players into trying new strategies compared to reheat, where players would be pushed to slow down play waiting for their guns to cool (after they put two explosion X or high speed rail X on them) and messing up the tempo of battles.

Thermal clips as a fig leaf for ammo is a stupid explanation and makes no sense in-universe (every backwater in the entire galaxy got rid of them in less than two years!) but it made ME2 and 3 more fun to play.

That said, I wish they could figure out some way to make cooldown weapons work. It's such a unique strategy, explanation, and concept in-universe, and meshes so well with the mass effect and futuristic themes.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I would agree, except that extra XP can potentially keeping you from doing another entire playthrough when you're 59 1/2 level.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

You don't have to do a full playthrough. I finished one at 59.8 or something. I just played till 60, got the achieve, and was happy with that.
You do if you're an obsessive completionist like me and can't stand to leave a game partially finished. :negative:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

PriorMarcus posted:

Everything in ME3 was the best of the franchise except the story, which was many orders of magnitude worse than the others.
ME3's story wasn't even that bad until it turned into a giant pile of poo poo at the end. The worst you could say about it was they didn't have much cogent explanation for why you were doing things and too many maguffins (the Crucible! the Catalyst!) and how you conveniently ran into all your old buddies...

Ok the story was terrible, but I had fun playing it at the time and in the moment didn't much care it was stupid.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

aegof posted:

With enough Lift you can Lift a Geth armature. Or whatever those big things you were supposed to fight in the Mako were. It was the best part of ME1, and one of the only things I had fun with.

ME3Multiplayer on the other hand is the best part of the franchise.
I loved doing the last assault on the Citadel since Lift and Pull (and anything else that removed gravity) was an insta-kill.

Giant Geth Destroyer? Not anymore! *yoink*

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Lotish posted:

So I was trying to start a run where Ashley was still alive, and I'm just to the tail end of Mars. Unfortunately, I've brought the Blood Pack Executioner pistol. When the cyborg woman is charging at you, she survives a single head shot, and then the reload animation is longer than the time it takes for her to kill you. I'm going to have to go back to the last time a bench was available.
I had the same problem with the Paladin, to the point three exact headshots (the gun's capacity at that point) weren't enough to down her. I even tried switching to the SMG I had, but by that time it was too late to. I solved it eventually, I forget exactly what I ended up doing, but I think I used a teammate's disruptor ammo or something like that and she dropped right away. See if you can't try something like that.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

White Phosphorus posted:

I played mostly paragon soldier through all 3
Have you played any of the other classes? If not, you really owe it to yourself to play some of the others. I did the same thing you did (well, I was only paragon soldier through 2 because 3 wasn't out yet) but I tried Adept and now I have a hard time playing anything else (except Vanguard). Adepts in ME1 are hilariously broken, but by 3 they get really fun to play when you map powers to buttons and limit how much you pause the action, and how you can bank them around corners. Plus, biotic and tech explosions! :hellyeah:

Aristobulus posted:

I feel like even mechanically, the gameplay improved in some areas and backpedalled in others. I don't really like global cooldowns, for example. And I liked biotics not just being magic missiles but having a variety of effects.
I disagree, global cooldowns made sure there weren't big variations in combat length. If you had fewer than five enemies, you just used every power and wiped the floor. If there were many more than that, you blew your wad then hid in cover waiting forever for things to recharge. With global cooldowns, the tempo was pretty consistent, and it favored strategies where you used quick-recharge powers frequently and saved the really big ones for when you need them.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I know it's been mentioned a ton of times before, but when should I do Citadel? I finally brought myself to give a drat about ME3 again after my first play through, and am just short of attacking the Cerberus base and killing that fucker Kai Leng. If I remember right, that's the point of no return. I wanted to play Citadel after the ending, so will I get a chance after the credits, or should I just reload my save?

Also, can Mordin show up as part of it? Does he have to survive Tuchanka, or is just being alive somewhere enough? What about Thane? Any other characters?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
It's clear that the game wasn't programmed with a shield-penetrating Lash (bonus power from omega) in mind, because it really makes Kai Leng look like even more of a chump and an idiot. I had to let him get up and do his scripted animations in both Thessia and the base. I only realized when his shield stopped going down despite several biotic explosions.

Also you can sometimes break the starting fight animation with a well-timed jab to the face, then yank him off his feet :shepface:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
And a section or two with Benezia.

But it was a nice subtle hint with how (do I even need to spoiler this?) Sovereign glows red inside during the tantrum, then the red cools off just as Saren does. Already the indoctrination was taking hold, and it was clear there was some connection between the ship and Saren.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

E: This actually makes me think it might be interesting to hear other peoples experiences on their first time through. I think there are probably some funny stories.

1 - What did you gently caress up?
2 - What did you do right?
3 - Did you miss anything important?

As for me. I actually made it all the way through the 3 games without screwing up at all except for getting Kelly killed in ME3. Full Paragon. Liara/Tali/Liara. I even did the suicide mission perfectly and didn't lose any of my crew. No walkthrough either.
I did miss the planet in ME1 that was full of Rachni. That solar system questline. I think it opens after Feros but if you don't do the terminal then you don't get it in your log and you actually have to fly to the system.
The way I play, I try to scour everything from every location as I play, so I tend not to miss stuff unless it's hidden well or obscured by mechanics.

I did pretty well in ME1, no real screwups that I can remember. I was reluctant to turn stuff to omnigel or to use it to unlock stuff, so I had a ton of equipment to sort through, and my choices were probably pretty suboptimal.

In ME2, I had Miranda do the biotic shield because she bragged so much, so she got carried off. I think Mordin died, though I did all the Loyalty missions; maybe from Hold the Line? E: no, I had him in the vents! :smith:

ME3 I don't remember any major screwups, besides picking Synthesis the first time through. :v:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Harrow posted:

I think I did, but maybe I didn't. I really don't want to have to buy the ME2 DLC again, but it's looking that way.

Ah, well.
Any chance you can contact EA support for help? They weren't super helpful when the code I used for Inferno Armor was actually for another Firepower pack, but they eventually switched it out.

I think the text help ended up being better in my case, but that was years ago.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Captain Geech posted:

I, uh, was just testing you all. Yes, that's what I was doing.
Garrus also had the decency to feel terrible about it, even though there's nothing he could have done. Zaeed on the other hand was much more lackadaisical about it, which makes sense given his character but can't have been good for morale.

:zaeed:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Police Automaton posted:

The real question is: Why are the sex aliens always blue?
Because blue is generally the most popular color (for people in Western society at least, which are the ones making movies and video games) blending to some shades of green.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I just finished DA2, and having wondered how people who got into ME3 late in the game weren't disappointed I think I understand. I went into DA2 with expectations fully tempered, and I was able to enjoy it pretty well. I got annoyed by the reused assets but was prepared for it, and knowing I would never leave Kirkwall let me focus on making it the best city I could. I felt I got my money's worth, but since I only spent $10 that's not saying much. I can only imagine paying $60 right after playing Origins.

So given the furor over DA2 and ME3 and the success of Inquisition, does anyone think EA/Bioware have learned their lesson? Namely, that you can't crap out an RPG worth its salt every two years? And that it's better to spend a lot more time up front with (relatively) cheap writers and have time to develop lots more assets?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Geostomp posted:

If DA2 had somehow failed to convince you that Kirkwall needed to be burned to the ground and that Hawke was a miserable failure as a hero before, Act III certainly will.

JawKnee posted:

no kidding, although I think the true nadir is a toss up between (plot stuff) moms hilarious death or "The Tranquil Solution" :lol:

Haha those were messed up, but what really made me :stonk: was First Enchanter Orsino going "Welp, they want blood magic let's give them BLOOD MAGIC!" and turns himself into a giant mutant corpse-thing. I mean really, why?!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Trapezium Dave posted:

Aveline was okay for the most part and is the only romance option worth going for.

As for the rest, I found the game more palatable when I tricked myself into considering they were going for a parody of Bioware games.
Sorry for turning this to DA2 chat, but there's no DA2 thread and I don't want to jump into the Inquisition thread before I've played it.

Varric, Aveline, and Isabela were the only ones I could tolerate. It had the added bonus of some pretty hilarious party dialogue.

Varric is just awesome, don't think anyone disputes this.
Aveline, while a bit of a stick in the mud, has your back if you help her out (and is hilariously stupid with relationships)
Isabela is just easygoing and fun, she knows who she is and what she likes and doesn't give a gently caress about anything. I can see how that would annoy some people, though. I was ticked at her connection with the Qunari, but since I had her in the party so much she redeemed herself in my game.

Merril is the worst combination of naive and dangerous, and is annoying to boot.
Anders is like the above, and is literally Hitler.
Carver I tried like hell to befriend, but he was dead set on being whiny and competing with Hawke over dumb poo poo. Whatever, man.

Fenris seemed cool and like he could be a bro, just never had room for him in the party/missed his loyalty quest.
Bethany died in Lothering, and I somehow missed Sebastian.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

Well, that was a thing.

I am developing a theory that over at Bioware/EA they don't listen to their QA folks or just have idiot writers and idiot QA people, too.

Had I been a QA person I would have played through that last level and immediately gone to the devs and said:

1 - On the last set of battles, when the game ends after, why are there so many things to loot? What's the point of that?
2 - The end fight with Mr Mage was fine because we had seen that demon type before. Knight bitch? No thanks. That was utterly stupid.

Actually gently caress it. That whole game was stupid. Anders seemed like he was written by completely different people who didn't understand the character in the first game. Or who were just angry at the world or something.

How about : Blah blah blah, okay, it's on! We gonna battle. Later.

What? You guys are facing off and walk off in different directions? She says, I'm going to go gather my forces and you don't attack her then and there? Who thought that made any sense at all.

What a car wreck that final bit was.

And the statues.

I'm glad I played it because there is no way to understand just how stupid all of that was without seeing it first hand.

Fenric: gently caress y'all...i'm out. Oh wait, I'm back now! Psyche!
Hey now! :mad:

I thought the statues were cool. Broke the battle's tempo up, and it was D&D as hell :black101:

The rest of it... yeah, I thought a lot of the same things.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

By "completed save," do you mean just reloading from the save before the Cerberus Base? I didn't think it was possible to load back into the game from an actual completed savefile.

I'm thinking I'll do Citadel just before Thessia, as that section of the story is pretty anemic anyway and it's sufficiently late into the game. I already know how the whole thing ends so I don't need it to be a literal epilogue.
I asked this before, but after the ending credits the game drops you back right before the point of no return. You can go and do Citadel right afterwards, if you like.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

fennesz posted:

I think I'll finally reconnect my 360 to the internet and throw down for that then. Thanks for the tip.

I'm not sure if I'll start it tonight or tomorrow but I'll drop by here periodically and give some updates.
Please do, this thread feasts upon the hopes and dreams of those playing through ME for the first time and their ultimate reactions.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
I think it was driven by another dumb scene, where your favorite characters (your love interest and most-used ally, respectively), presumably the ones you're most likely to bring when you're doing the final push, are magically not dead when harbinger zaps you and teleport to the Normandy in time for it to make its escape.

Basically the endings are still bad, and composed of crap layered upon crap.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
They've already stated that the new game won't be a prequel, but we've seen how well they stick to their official statements.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Lycus posted:

I don't think super-warp and super-pull are worth 15 bucks alone, nah.
Super-pull does have the option to ignore shields, which my adept exploited to ridiculous levels.

It also makes Kai-Leng fights a joke, to the point I broke the game so hard I had to let him get up and get some free shots in before the battle would progress :rolleyes:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Are these the books where he goes into Anderson's apartment and serves himself a bowl of cereal?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
That one is specifically on EDI's mission/point of no return in ME3. There's even a little pointless video clip gif with it.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Conrad Verner is a sidequest you can complete in ME1 where he's basically a giant fanboy, and his dialogue suggests his wife just tolerates his hobby of buying Shepard-based stuff to keep him out of the house. You can give him your signature and take a photo with him and a few other weird interactions, and if you don't crush his dreams he'll show up in later games (though the import was bugged in ME2 and always thought you did the harsh final response.) In ME2 he shows up in cosplay N7 armor acting like a hardass trying to be an investigator on Illium (he annoys Aethyta trying to do a drug bust for legal red sand) and talks about how he spends time rooting through crates for credits. I think this is where it's implied his wife divorced him.

Jenna is a girl working "undercover" in Chora's den for an unscrupulous C-Sec officer putting her in danger for his investigation. Her sister asks you to save her, and I think you can either get the information the officer needs or try to convince Jenna to quit on her own.

In ME3 someone tries to assassinate you in the refugee ward. Conrad throws himself in front of you to save you, while Jenna will disable the assassin's gun with Sabotage. If you did both quests, Conrad looks like a goof ("Did I help, Shepard? Strange, it doesn't hurt.") and Jenna is impressed with his bravery and they'll head off for a date or something.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

JFC posted:

Still doing my ME3 first playthrough.

Situation Report: I can't look at the nose of the Normandy SR2 without seeing this guy

SR1 had those dangly bits too

http://www.wallpapervortex.com/wallpaper-19059_mass_effect_normandy_sr1_vs_sr2.html

Although I think those two stubby tail pieces look dumber than the t-tail on the SR1

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Sombrerotron posted:

Shepard was Harbinger/the AI/Conrad Verner all along.
It's like poetry, it rhymes! :monocle:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

I liked Miranda but I feel she had a lot of wasted potential as a character. I was so hoping that it was really Miranda who orchestrated the events at the start of me2 as a way to clean up the operation. Get rid of the scientists and keep Shepard a secret, while blaming it on the scientist guy.

Any video medium, be it movies or videogames needs to show and not just tell. I feel like they tried really hard to show her as being sexy but never really bothered to show her off as being the ice queen or the extremely talented agent. Like they drop the "ice queen" act literally 5 minutes after you meet her.

Everyone else has some badass moment. Like kasumi jumping on top of a helicopter in motion. Garrus fighting a one man war. That assassin fish guy dropping out of vents and annihilating people. Miranda at her most capable and badass was giving Shepard boringly obvious advice during the suicide mission: "send the hacker robot to hack the door Shepard" some of which turned out to be wrong "pick me I can totally do a biotic shield"
Yeah, they wasted an opportunity with Miranda. Besides all the stupid shots of body parts there were hardly any scenes demonstrating why she was a top Cerberus agent and the supremely capable person she was introduced as. The only evidence is her gameplay bonus to squad mates, which is easily overlooked.

I was also supremely annoyed with what they did to Ashley. I loved the fact in the first game your first introduction to a woman is (an idealized but still) realistic female soldier, overwhelmed but still a capable warrior. She had realistic proportions, a no-nonsense haircut that made sense for frequent helmet wear, and no makeup. Sure she was in a form-fitting white and pink spacesuit, but the guys' were just as clingy so it could be the way they worked. Then in 3 they give her heels, a boob job, a cleavage-window suit, a tousled long hairdo, and a bunch of mascara eyeliner and eyeshadow. :rolleyes:

There were other problems, like the portrayal of her fondness for poetry and the racism, but it was all so unnecessary.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Adolph Shepard

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Calling it now, jetpacks are going to be the Mako thrusters of ME4 i.e. embarrasingly weak, enough to only get you a short little hop, and only fun when you mod them to be ridiculously overpowered.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Prediction: the N7 character will be the starting tutorial level and in a shocking twist will either be the villain or will die before the game proper starts.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Fifty Three posted:

The leader dude (Griffin?)'s voice really sounds familiar to me. Like a cartoon character played by David Cross or something. This is gonna bug me.

Still, though, thanks for sharing. That was fantastic.
It's Griffin McElroy, the babyest brother of the McElroy brothers (also Justin and Travis) who do a ton of podcasts, including "My Brother, My Brother, and Me", "Adventure Zone", "Sawbones", "Bunker Buddies", and other weird poo poo. They're pretty consistently funny and rag on each other constantly (and their dad, who features in Adventure Zone and is clearly where they get it from) so that may be where you heard them before.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
However, it doesn't take long for other collectors to mow you down if you're knocked out of cover, especially if your shields or health haven't fully recovered

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Oh hey, there's a lot of activity in the thread, I wonder if some new information about Andromeda dropped!

:yikes:

So has anybody heard anything new?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Waltzing Along posted:

Bioware looked at this thread and cancelled MEA out of shame.
If Talisweat couldn't do it, nothing will.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Halloween Jack posted:

How is Adept in ME3? I'm thinking about going back to zapping people with biotic zaps, looking forward to doing that in an improved overall combat experience.
I loved Adept, I minimized my cool downs as much as possible and boosted my biotic explosions and was pretty much unstoppable. Also because you can arc your powers you can direct them a little bit, yanking enemies out of cover or blasting them off ledges. If you get Lash from the Omega dlc you get completely broken, because your biggest weakness (shields) can now be affected and detonated.

The only trouble I had was with wraiths because you can't stunlock them or take them out quickly like most enemies, and you can have defense and mobility issues if other things are shooting at you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
It's post-ironic :ironicat:

• Locked thread