Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Anybody else having an issue with the game just randomly minimizing every minute or so for no reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I haven't gotten too far in yet but I am pretty impressed with the character direction in 3 and find it to a big improvement over ME2. For example the storyline involving Jack at Grissom Academy was a satisfying end to their arc, a little humorous and in a way touching.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Has anybody else had the problem/bug of the Spectre terminal on the Citadel just flat-out not offering you anything? Like, I know I have the thing on Benning and the Heating Unit Stabilizers quest that both need to be solved from the Spectre terminal, but I'm not getting any updated information from them. I've also done a priority mission in between and they haven't reset. Kind of annoying. :(

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

cell posted:

Have you actually been to do an N7 mission on Benning (it's the Firebase Ghost map from the MP demo for reference)?

No, I just get the quest text for it. I checked the wiki and it said my next step was to get the info from my Spectre terminal, but whenever I go to it, there's nothing. Benning's system doesn't even show on my galaxy map.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

cell posted:

If you haven't been to Benning then you can't continue with the quest; Hackett usually gives the N7 missions out just after a Priority mission. It's possible to complete the quest while on Benning but if you miss the opportunity (i.e. complete the N7 mission without completing the Ambassador's quest) then the item appears at the Spectre terminal.

Oh, so you're saying there's a point where I actually go to Benning as a part of the actual game?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

M_Sinistrari posted:

They've also said the iOS game and some Facebook game'll also raise readiness like multiplayer does, but so far the only Facebook thing I've found is that 'nag everyone you know to play the demo' one and I'm not buying an iPad/iPhone or the like just for a Mass Effect sidegame so I'm essentially stuck with multiplayer which while it's okay enough, I just really have to be in the mood to play it and I don't like that there's a strong possibility that I'll have to just to get an ending I want for the game. Since I also like to dig out old as gently caress games and replay, I'll still end up eventually hosed say 5+ or so years down the road and likely no servers still around to even try a solo multiplayer thing.

As far as I know your readiness carries across characters and it takes maybe 10-15 winning games ti get to 100%. It's also really really fun, and quite easy if your aspiration is just to slum readiness on Bronze.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

tadashi posted:

I'm really tired of the interactive movie genre and I think ME3 will be the last one of these I play for a long long time. The thing I like about video games is being able to find stopping points and walk away when I feel like it. I feel like ME3's writers were so involved with trying to create an immersive feeling that they forgot this is still a game and it needs to be broken up somewhat. There are parts in this game where you go like 30 minutes without a place to save and then it jumps to a cut-scene that you'll want to watch if it's your first playthrough. I mean, the game is creating quick saves, but I don't know where those are and might not be happy with what I come back to. I don't understand why there aren't more places in the game where I can create manual saves during the combat missions.

The game autosaves after just about every battle.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm going through the SP at a very deliberate pace so that I can enjoy the experience and don't get put off too badly by the ending, which many say is subpar. However, I just wanted to say that Tuchanka suprised me on an emotional level that I've never seen in a video game before. I actually felt completely drained after curing the genophage and watching Mordin's death -- it was tasteful, poignant, and really drew all the themes explored by his character back together. It was sad to see him go, because he was one of the few squadmates in ME2 that I genuinely liked throughout, but in a way that was the most fitting end, and humming Gilbert & Sullivan while the station was blowing up was an amazing little touch.

I have to ask though, for subsequent playthroughs: Is there a way to save Mordin at all by taking the Paragon route and curing the genophage? I got that you could probably save him by lying about the Shroud, but I didn't tell Wrex/Eve about the sabotage at all, only opting to reveal it to Mordin at the last moment because I thought otherwise they might pull their support or something. If I told them earlier, could I have saved his life?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I haven't seen the ending yet but I am just preparing myself to ignore what I don't like, because everything else about ME3 is great and the characters are so hugely improved and enjoyable. I hope Bioware acknowledges the criticism the end is getting and fixes it somehow down the line, the same way the LotSB DLC resolved a lot of weirdness about Liara in ME2. I thought that was an example of how DLC can take gamer feedback and transform it from what was previously a weakness into a strength.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Kin posted:

How quickly does the galactic readiness go up in multiplayer?

I just had a bronze game that went up to wave 11 or something before we died (when getting to the extraction point) and combined with a quick failed attempt just before that, it's gone up by 5% already and i got a ton of experience.

If you stick it on gold do you get a load more of points and readiness in one game or something? It doesn't feel like it would take more than an evening of playing to get readiness up to 100% on just bronze.

It seems to give you between 2% - 5% readiness for each random location game, 5-7% in a particular area if you pick the map, and as far as I can tell it appears to be completely random how much you'll receive. You'll be at 100% in about 20 games, which isn't hard to do because the MP is great.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Shadow Broker DLC made a lot of improvements to Liara's arc in the ME2 storyline that was met with fairly widespread criticism when the game was first released, so there's at least some precedence. I don't know how much of LotSB was planned out beforehand, but it feels like at least some changes were made in direct response to the community's wishes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just finished the Rannoch missions. I felt like I made the most agreeable decisions, given the circumstances. I let Legion upload the Reaper code and warned the Fleet - somehow that was the Renegade option? I lost Legion in the process but it seemed like there was no way to simultaneously save him and not lose the Quarian Fleet. What happens if Tali is dead in ME2? Do you just not go to Rannoch at all?

Edit: What happens if you sold Legion to Cerberus in the last game? Anything special?

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 19, 2012

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Do the 75 points in War Assets you get from promoting a level 20 N7 character stack? I ask this because I'm kind of interested now in making a total fuckup Shepard who gets everybody killed, breaks alliances, saves no one, and still wins the day because of some N7 buddies. Yes, I know this would take a considerably long time to do.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

There were bugs here and here, getting stuck on geometry, both Shepard and enemies. Nothing major.

Probably the biggest thing was the issue with Conrad's quest.

I'm glad they referenced that for Conrad's appearance in ME3. "I'm sorry if I accused you of pulling a gun on me, even if you didn't. I was under a lot of stress at the time."

That whole exchange was really funny - I laughed at a video game's attempt at humor, and that never happens. Does Conrad get shot for real if you didn't help that girl at Chora's Den? That seemed like a really random insert.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Charlie Mopps posted:

If they still think they need more feedback on what people want i do not know what the gently caress they are waiting for. THe people who like the ending to finally start posting? :psyduck:

Uh, don't you think redoing the entire end sequence of ME3 would take considerable programming, artwork, VO work, money, etc. that requires a little bit more planning than "people on the Internet are unhappy, avert course immediately!" I mean good on them if they respond to player feedback but it ain't gonna happen tomorrow.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

GruntyThrst posted:

You also need to have used every Blue/Red dialogue option ever available with that character. It doesn't have to be all blue, or all red, but it has to have been one of the two every time. occasionally they are hidden behind the left "investigate" side of the wheel.

How do so many people get to the 3rd game in the Mass Effect series and not know to always exhaust the left wheel options first. :confused:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ambiguatron posted:

Javik is one of the best things in the game. They took a huge risk with making him a giant rear end in a top hat in the beginning that some people might elect not to talk to anymore, but he's very smoothly integrated into the game and his character arc completely pays off his early behavior.

I felt really smart for predicting way in advance of ME3 that the Protheans were actually huge galactic jerks that subjugated other species, which explains why you only hear about them in the last cycle while this generation has so many sapient races.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

VaultAggie posted:

Insanity on Mass Effect 2 wasn't really hard except for a few exceptions. That flamethrower rear end in a top hat on Mordins mission can go gently caress himself though. I died more times to that guy than to anything else in the game.

Don't you mean Garrus' recruitment mission?

All the truly rear end in a top hat moments in ME2, redux:

- Archangel - The accursed shutter doors
- Kasumi - That stupid friggin' gunship
- Horizon - The two Scions and Praetorian
- Collector Ship - Spinning platforms with the Scions
- That Random Base with the 2 YMIRs - Ugh
- THAT STUPID QUARIAN WITH THE VARREN - Hardest mission in the game on Insanity, no joke

That's all I can remember off the top of my head.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Smart Car posted:

I've been replaying Mass Effect 2 as an engineer and I just finished Horizon, but the game seems to be much harder than I remember it being. So I'm wondering if I'm doing anything wrong. I'm currently using the Locust SMG and Phalanx Heavy Pistol as my weapons. I went and maxed my drone power first, picked the explosive evolution, and I try and make sure there's always a drone harassing the more annoying enemies, I also have Incinerate maxed and evolved for higher damage, Warp Ammo is my bonus power.

I felt really weak compared to how I remember the game being against the Praetorian you fight at the end of the Horizon mission in particular. I had Miranda and Mordin with me since they have good powers for dealing with Collectors, but it felt like it took ages to kill, and I'm even playing it on Veteran this time around while my last playthrough was on Hardcore.

So anyone have some tips on playing an engineer in Mass Effect 2?

Well if you're coming back from ME3, one thing to remember is that the pace of combat is a lot more deliberate in 2. As in, enemies will take out your shields in half a second once you pop out of cover, but won't try to flank you, use grenades, or any of the fancy stuff you see in 3. You can afford to be a lot less aggressive and play conservatively. One thing to keep in mind if you don't do this already is use Q and E to have your squadmates fire their abilities on your current target. Focus firing makes things die much faster.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Scuzzywuffit posted:

It's pretty definitely this, because the people that I took on my run to the beam who should be dead, back in London or both came out in my game.

Did you have an EMS under ~3000, because that's the threshold where it actually shows your squadmates die en route to the beam. Otherwise it's just Shepard soloing it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Elysiume posted:

I'm kind of sick of side missions in ME1. Driving the Mako gets old. Which ones will actually affect me in ME2, or at all beyond just getting credits/exp/loot?

None of the side missions in ME1 that I can recall have much of an effect on ME2 besides the occasional cameo/email. As it turns out though that random girl in Chora's Den does play a not-insignificant role in ME3, so don't skip out on that one!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

"They don't make soldiers like Jenkins anymore..."

*goes down like a punk in the first 5 seconds of the game*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I went back to ME2 to finish up some DLC on my characters and found the combat to be just plain Not As Fun as what I'd grown accustomed to with ME3. While it was a tremendous advancement over the first and great fun in its time, you really notice the over-reliance on cover and lack of visceral CQC that was added into the third game. Most of the time the winning strategy is to remain behind one piece of cover and plink away until every enemy in the room is dead, which contrasts starkly with ME3's greater emphasis on dynamic movement and melee. The fact that the multiplayer community is still going strong despite being a shallow single-mode option is a testament to how fun and rewarding ME3's combat can be.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There was a bug, at least in the PC version of Mass Effect 1, where you could get infinite money by buying from one of the Citadel vendors and then selling to Dr. Michel or vice versa. This wasn't particularly useful since the game was easy enough and you never particularly wanted for credits, but it was fun being able to afford Spectre weapons before you even left the Citadel.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

precision posted:

The inventory system doesn't annoy me at all. It's not nearly as annoying as Fallout 3/New Vegas.

Well, that's certainly true for me. FO:NV is the only game with an inventory so bad that I outright stopped playing because of it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

There were other problems with the game for me too, mostly that I had to stop playing for a couple weeks and completely forgot where I should go or what I was supposed to be doing. The environments were monochromatic and stale, and the game ran like poo poo on my system. This was like the third Obsidian game goons salivated over that I ended up disliking, so never again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Is that really supposed to break the game? I think on one playthrough I left Legion in my crew when I did the Reaper IFF by mistake and nothing seemed to happen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I have a hard time imagining that Bioware is going to go with an entirely new galaxy, having to develop all new art assets, technology, characters etc. from the ground up with the exception of I guess Reapers. With how self-referential even the second and third Mass Effect games were and how the fans ate that poo poo up, I can't believe that Bioware wouldn't set the next Mass Effect in our galaxy even if it was a different time period / setting / alternate universe / whatever.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think the best way to move forward post-ME3 is by taking the Deus Ex route and pretending all endings happened. The Reapers are (mostly) destroyed, Shepard wanders the galaxy as the God-Reaper, and the machine races are augmented with organics, or something. Barring that, I think Control would result in the most interesting setting following the Reaper War.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

For a more amusing end, pick Jack for Fire Team leader.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The war table from Dragon Age: Inquisition is really what I think the Galaxy at War feature from ME3 wanted to be. You build power and influence all over the map by dispatching your specialists to perform tasks for you, gather resources, research upgrades, and unlock new areas. Unless you play 100+ hours you don't really have the time to do every little side mission so you have to pick and choose which ones you do. It's so much cooler than spamming spacebar while flying your toy ship around a star system until the Reapers arrive. I kinda wish ME3 had the feature first because it would have gone a long way toward making the gameplay feel like you were amassing this huge galactic coalition, even if in practice not much would be changed.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It would also be nice if any of those things did gently caress all.

Well like I said they get you items, increase influence, unlock new areas, give resources, and sometimes lead to funny things like sidequests, mount prizes and judgment dialogues. It's not the main game but it's enough to be interesting and way better than "fly around solar system spamming the scan button."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I think that when Saren throws his fit after Eden Prime may be one of the weirdest scenes in the series.

The really weird part about it to me is that it's the only moment in the entire Mass Effect series, besides the intro with Illusive Man in ME2, that isn't from Shepard's perspective. Just very out of place.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think the scene was probably hastily written out of convenience, in a "poo poo, nobody will actually know who Benezia is unless we show this" kind of fashion.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

ME2 kind of let you off the hook easy with the loyalty missions, as most were impossible to fail and they gave you extra game content, so why would you miss them on purpose? I guess if the series ever got a revamp, I'd want to see harder choices and perhaps the crew arguments not being possible to resolve with enough Renegade/Paragon, so that you really had to think carefully about who you wanted for the suicide mission.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hannibal Smith posted:

People are always saying that, but I paid attention to his stories the last time I played and it's really not true. Only one of his stories actually involves his entire team getting killed (the Turian ship). He does mention casualties in a few others, but the rest are either successful missions or he doesn't mention anything about anyone dying. In a handful he even specifically mentions people surviving, like the kid who became a governor.

When you're going through the vent sequence with Zaaed as fire team leader, he has "we're doing good" dialogue that all other non-qualifed fire team leaders do not. So it was speculated that Zaaed at one point could have been a capable choice but the option was later removed. Either way you shouldn't pick Zaaed because the game practically beats you over the head with Miranda, Jacob or Garrus for that role.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I recently got a $10 promo code from Origin for buying DA:I and wanted to use it to finally play the ME3 SP DLC, but as it turns out I guess Bioware points are ineligible for that promotion. :( What a bummer, does this DLC ever ever go on sale?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

As I recall there's a way to resell items to the doctor during your first trip to the Citadel that lets you buy Spectre gear ASAP, which you can then use to steamroll the rest of the game. I think that's what I always did whenever I just wanted to burn through all the content.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Does the base Mass Effect download already come with Bring Down the Sky included? There doesn't appear to be any place on the BSN page that lets you download or register the DLC anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Actually, no. Kill all Batarians.

• Locked thread