Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

cbservo posted:

Seriously. my only complaint so far, having loads of fun traipsing all over the galaxy and I love every single member on board the Normandy....except for her.

Regretting bringing her on board. :shepicide: She can rot wherever she is and never talk to anyone, as much as I care.

You can go down to her at any time to tell her to leave by talking to her a couple of times. I kept an open mind on the character when she was announced as I hadn't heard of the actress beforehand but her voice acting is easily the worst in the game. At this point I'm only keeping her around to see how much war assets I can crib off of her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

canada jezus posted:

A savegame editor that could change warscore would really just take care of this nonsense.

Funny you should mention this. I was getting sick of all this circular arguing about multi vs single and assets etc so I spent a few minutes testing with Gibbed's coalesed.bin extractor.

1. Backup your coalesed.bin file located in [your me3 folder]\biogame\cookedpcconsole
2. Download gibbed's coalesed.bin extractor. I don't have a link at hand but maybe someone can share it.
3. Drag and drop your coalesed.bin file on top of the executable and it will extract all of the configuration files into a seperate folder.
4. Open the file called 09_bioui.json and find the sfxgame.sfxgawassetshandler section which lists all of the assets.
5. When I did it I tested with the Kelly Chambers asset called GAWAsset_CerberusExPatriots. On that line you will see a value called starting strength as follows

code:
        "(ID=133,AssetName=\"GAWAsset_CerberusExPatriots\",Type=GAWAssetType_Military,SubType=GAWAssetSubType_Ground,StartingStrength=10,GUIName=715488,GUIDescription=715607,bIsExploration=False,UnlockPlotStates[0]=0,GUICategoryID=4,DebugConditionalDescription=\"Chambers Alive\",bShowNotificationOnAward=true,ImagePath=\"gui_codex_images.Codex.CDX_Cerberus_512x256\",NotificationImagePath=\"GUI_Icons.Notifications.GM_Cerberus_256x128\")",
6. As you can see it has a starting strength of 10. Edit this to whatever you feel is appropiate and save the file.
7. Drag and drop the folder on top of the executable to generate a new coalesed.bin file. Put this file in your cookedpc folder.
8. Load up a save game from before you recieve the asset in question. In Kelly's case it was when I read an email from her sometime after the coup and I had saved her life.
9. You will be awarded the asset at the value entered. Save your game
10. Exit the game and restore your backed up bin file to the cookedpc folder. You keep the new value as your asset and your bin file should be safe for using with multiplayer.
11. And most importantly from now on just enjoy multiplayer for the fun of it and single player for the fun of it and never the twain shall meet again.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

The Aberrant posted:

Does anyone know if gibbed's save editor allows you to change Readiness?

I had a look last night. In the version of it I had downloaded there is a section for editing each individual assets strength. I couldn't test it though since it didn't seem to want to save the file.

Edit: I also posted this guide earlier for changing asset values in the coalesed.bin file if you want to try that. It should work for any asset in the game and it only applies the value upon receipt of the asset.

1. Backup your coalesed.bin file located in [your me3 folder]\biogame\cookedpcconsole
2. Download gibbed's coalesed.bin extractor. I don't have a link at hand but maybe someone can share it.
3. Drag and drop your coalesed.bin file on top of the executable and it will extract all of the configuration files into a seperate folder.
4. Open the file called 09_bioui.json and find the sfxgame.sfxgawassetshandler section which lists all of the assets.
5. When I did it I tested with the Kelly Chambers asset called GAWAsset_CerberusExPatriots. On that line you will see a value called starting strength as follows

quote:

"(ID=133,AssetName=\"GAWAsset_CerberusExPatriots\",Type=GAWAssetType_Military,SubType=GAWAssetSubType_Ground,StartingStrength=10,GUIName=715488,GUIDescription=715607,bIsExploration=False,UnlockPlotStates[0]=0,GUICategoryID=4,DebugConditionalDescription=\"Chambers Alive\",bShowNotificationOnAward=true,ImagePath=\"gui_codex_images.Codex.CDX_Cerberus_512x256\",NotificationImagePath=\"GUI_Icons.Notifications.GM_Cerberus_256x128\")",
6. As you can see it has a starting strength of 10. Edit this to whatever you feel is appropiate and save the file.
7. Drag and drop the folder on top of the executable to generate a new coalesed.bin file. Put this file in your cookedpc folder.
8. Load up a save game from before you recieve the asset in question. In Kelly's case it was when I read an email from her sometime after the coup and I had saved her life.
9. You will be awarded the asset at the value entered. Save your game
10. Exit the game and restore your backed up bin file to the cookedpc folder. You keep the new value as your asset and your bin file should be safe for using with multiplayer.
11. And most importantly from now on just enjoy multiplayer for the fun of it and single player for the fun of it and never the twain shall meet again.

Hank Morgan fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Mar 9, 2012

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Zmanl0p6 posted:

If I could throw Allers out of the airlock I would. I will instead have to settle for inviting her onto the ship and the immediately telling her to gently caress off once she gets on board. I only kept her around this first playthrough to see if she did anything interesting and she didn't. It doesn't help that Jessica Chobot's face doesn't transfer over to the video game world nearly as well as Yvonne Strahovski or Male Shep and whoever they modeled Jack after did.

My character ran into Miranda the other day and I could swear that she has added another storey onto her forehead.

Whats the effect of getting rid of Allers? I know you get small boosts to readiness if you keep her.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

evilmiera posted:

Well, I'm certainly hit with laughter at some of the animations in cutscenes. Not that it is generally bad but there are moments when things just go crazy or you wonder how that person is making that face and why.

But you're right, I had a hard time investing myself in this world emotionally so far.

My favourite one of these is when you first meet Kelly on the citadel. There is an interrupt to give her a hug. Then the shot cuts to a close up of Kelly talking and then cuts back out to show Shepard and Kelly in the hugging pose only they are standing a foot or so apart from each other.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Just finished the game. Oh boy was that ending an amazing tribute to Ultima IX (another game in which a previously unstoppable force of evil is defeated in the most haphazard of ways). Other than that the game was fantastic.

The good points:
The game got the mix between ME1 style RPG and ME2 combat right for the type of game it should be.
Most of the main quests are done really well. When the game needs to sell big moments in these sections it really does it well.
Call backs and reappearances of old characters were done well. Character death spoilers:The death fakeouts I got for Kasumi and Grunt had me on edge momentarily and the actual deaths of Thane and Mordin were exceptionally well done
Multiplayer is just fantastic fun. Any doubts I had about that mode have totally dissipated.
Voice acting is almost entirely spot on. Even material from the leaked script that had me groaning managed to get saved by the actors.

The bad:
that ending ugh.
The idea of the war score to me devolves the importance of making decisions when make a decision is made on the basis of what arbitrary number it awards you rather than the intrinsic effect of the decision to the story.
Lack of decent block of side missions like the N7 mission from 2 and a lot of the side quests in 1. The few N7 missions in 3 are just the multiplayer maps and beyond that you just have the few mission like Grisson and a couple of ME2 squad mate missions.
Following on from that the planet scanning is something that wasn't fun in 2 and isn't fun here. A few of the scanning objectives would have been better off getting turned into short little side missions.
Dream sequences. Just a small annoyance seeing as you only get a few of them but when I finally get around to doing a failure Shepard I'm going to name him Max Payne Shepard.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Does anyone have any save game for the conversations with Kaidan where you can unlock his bonus powers? It seems as though the career where I kept him alive is lost in dark space.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Elysiume posted:

Looks like it only affects ME3, though, and I'm still doing side missions in ME1. If I finish the third main story mission (Noveria/Virmire/Feros), I can still do some side quests before I get locked into the ending, right? Will doing Feros lock me out of anything? I know that something gets me banished from the Citadel but I'm not sure when, what, or why.

You get locked out of the citadel immediately after finishing the fourth/last planet so wrap up any side-quest involving that location before going there.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Paino posted:

So, I decided to finish a couple of side missions by reporting them in to some random Citadel dudes and I get involved in a Cerberus clusterfuck. Meanwhile, there's still a bomb I have to defuse.

I say to myself, ok, the game won't be so stupid to let the bomb explode since it FORCES me to land on the Citadel. Quest isn't greyed out. I finish the Cerberus clusterfuck quest, I check again, my journal is still intact. So I think oh well maybe I was a bit too harsh in criticizing this piece of poo poo of a rushed game, side missions aren't so badly conceived after all. I'll do it as soon as I leave the Citadel, let me just overhear dozens of conversations and play the creepy Shepard. A lot of character drama and poo poo happens at the same time.

Time to leave the Cita- WAR ASSET: MASSIVE EXPLOSION

Yay! 3 hours of gameplay down the drain. Not only this game has timed side-quests which is a horrifying concept in itself, its horrible design decisions ambush you. This is a loving ambush. Why don't you grey the quest out immediately. Why don't you warn me BEFORE. WHY WHY WHY

Just live with it. You made a bad decision and now there are consequences. It's all part of the appeal of the game.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Paino posted:

No it's not. It's retarded game design, and Bioware deserves all the flak it got, horrible metacritic average included, because this is the DA2 of Mass Effects.

No one would want a massive bomb to explode on a friendly planet if you're playing Paragon, and I bet even 99.9% of Renegade players would've reloaded a previous save. This bullshit of locking you out of planets randomly and timed sidequests has reached JRPG levels of idiocy. This design decision only makes you waste time, and it's loving useless.

The bomb went off because you felt it was a better use of your time to deliver a power unit to a nightclub rather than defuse a bomb that threatens the safety of your allies.

These kind of quests have to have some bit of urgency about them because otherwise you may as well just be ticking items off of a list. It actually kind of bugs me that missions flagged as priority in this game are anything but.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Sombrerotron posted:

While I disagree with the notion that there is something inherently wrong about including timed missions or locking you out of content depending on the order in which you accomplish things, I'll grant Paino that the player should've been informed of this in some way. Most missions in ME3 are presented as being pretty urgent, just as they were in ME2, but generally there's no rush at all to complete anything within a particular timeframe. It makes sense to clearly distinguish the exceptions to that rule. That doesn't necessarily mean displaying a countdown or a big, bolded warning in red capitals, of course; something a little more oblique like a verbal reminder by another character that time's running out would suffice, I think.

I agree it should have been sold better to the player.

Wrex: SHEPARD! It's appears to be speaking.

Shepard: What is it saying?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeLqsvFO31o

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Mass Effect 3, DLC 4: The Mystery of that God drat Life Support Room

Shepard finally opens it only to discover Gianna Parasini's skeleton clutching the keys to the Mako.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Finished my latest ME1 playthrough and figured another run through ME2 would be in order. But no, says Origin. See, for whatever reason, none of my DLC works or even installs. Origin spent a good while automatically downloading all the DLC, but none of it would install. The install buttons did nothing, which is no surprise because I didn't actually have the installer files anywhere despite the long-rear end download. So, I delete the installers folder and try to download all the DLC again. Well, now it won't even download more than 17 KB of any of the files. :shepicide:

I have never had any real issues with Origin, but gently caress this. I'll try to download the DLC installers from the Bioware site later, I guess.

I had something similar happen to me. I had the steam version of ME2 which I then registered on Origin just to have it there. Of course one day I accidentally launched ME2 from Origin and ever since then everytime I load origin I get an installer popping up for each individual piece of dlc released for the game. The installers won't do anything but sit there until I cancel them.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

VirtualStranger posted:

Is there any way at all to get the default Female Shepard face from 1 & 2 to show up properly in 3? Whenever I try to import that face from ME2, it always come out hosed up. It would be nice if there was a face code to recreate it.

I'm referring to the one that looks like this:

I don't see why they felt the need to change the default to a new on that looks worse, and then not even give you a way to keep the old one.

Also, that hair color seems to be completely gone from ME3.

I used the Lazarus program linked here to get my femshep right. It works by converting the face morph files that the gibbed editor generates. Apparently it doesn't work with male Shepard though.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

That robotic dog in the Collector's pack is the biggest letdown in the entire trilogy. It doesn't do anything but pace up and down the cargo bay. It doesn't even do this.

They did release all the Dragon age promotional stuff a few months back so hopefully they'll do the same for the ME2/3 items at some stage.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Just out of curiosity I had a look at the list of achievements on my Origin copy of ME3 and there are about 9 place-holder achievements with generic string identifiers if I scroll the list all the way to the end. I assume they are Citadel related.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Two Finger posted:

I guess I am, at that. Sole Survivor's the one that got attacked by the thresher maw, yeah?
I thought there were different quests for every background...

There a different quest on the citadel for your family history (earth born, spacer and colonist) and those ones for your military career history.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

2house2fly posted:

Do the social scenes with squad members expire? Like, when Liara asks to see me in my cabin will the option to invite her up no longer be there after X mission? Or meeting Garrus for that sniper match? I like those scenes but when I get them I might not be in the mood for it right that second, know what I mean?

No. Do them whenever you want to.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

I'm kind of wondering: Has anyone here actually done the "get so low a readiness rating that everything fucks up at the end" run of the series? Stuff like killing the Rachni Queen in 1, then saving her replacement, or letting Samara kill herself, then killing her daughter, for example.

This is my preferred gently caress up run. I don't know how it rates with Galactic readiness but I think it gives a decent bad things happen score to the entire trilogy.

quote:

ME1.
Colonist, sole survivor either gender. Make sure your face is ugly as sin.
Recruit Liara last for added craziness.
Don't recruit Garrus.
Let Wrex live on Virmire.
Romance either Ashley or Kaidan but pick them to die on Virmire.
Don't help Kirahe's team on Virmire.
Kill the Rachni queen.
Be a general dick about executing people etc.
Don't do the Jenna quest on the citadel but do all of Conrad's quest
Don't save the council

ME2
Don't release Grunt from the tank until after the Suicide mission
Sell Legion to Cerberus
Pick Morinth over Samara
Shoot Conrad in the leg and do his mission
Only have the following loyal team mates Jack, Morinth(unavoidable if you recruit her),Tali and Zaeed.
Romance Jacob or Thane if female (may need extra loyalty but it won't affect anything)
Romance Tali if male. (the payoff is in ME3)
Have dinner with Kelly so that she appears in ME3
Take all upgrades for the ship
Send Jacob into the vent. He dies.
Have Zaeed lead the fireteam (makes no difference)
Use Miranda for the bubble and have Garrus and Kasumi as your teammates, this kills Garrus.
Send Morinth back with the crew and save them (the death pay-off is in ME3)
Have Thane lead the second fireteam. He dies.
Leave Zaeed, Tali, Mordin and Kasumi to hold the line while Jack and Miranda go to the final battle. This should leave Mordin and Miranda dead.
The only survivors of the mission will be Zaeed, Morinth, Tali, Jack and Kasumi. However you can now wake Grunt but leave him disloyal.
Save your game and go romance Morinth.

ME3
Do Kasumi's side mission. She dies there.
Don't rescue Jack and the students at Grissom, Jack appears later as a phantom.
Morinth will also appear later as a banshee.
Save the cloned Rachi queen. Send Aralak company to their deaths along with a disloyal Grunt.
Not doing Mordin's quest in ME2 means you don't have Maelons research. Eve dies.
Betray Wrex by siding with the Salarians.
Kill Padok Wiks when he discovers the sabotage.
Kill Wrex when he shows up on the citadel for revenge.
Side with the Geth on Rannoch. Tali commits suicide.
Kill either Ashley or Kaiden during the coup. The councillor will die due to Thane and Kirahe being dead.
When Kelly confesses to spying on you for TIM get angry with her. She will commit suicide off screen.
Do Conrad's quest on the Citadel but he will get killed due to you not doing Jenna's quest back in ME1
Romance Diana Allers
Since Miranda is dead it is now possible for her sister to die on Horizon.
Go to the final battle with as low an EMS as possible. Whomever you bring to the beam assault will die
there.
Zaeed lives.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

There's his loyalty mission as well - I always tell Garrus and whoever is with him (Miranda or Zaeed usually) to stay behind cover just before the YMIRs come out, and do they listen? Nope, so I have to tell everyone to hightail it to cover under fire and usually both go down and I have to solo the bots :argh:

VVVV - Grunt also makes a good distraction

Pro tip for this mission. A carefully timed overload on the cranes is a one shot kill of the YMIR's.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Kameh posted:

When does Liara's mission in me2 unlock? After horizon? I downloaded shadow broker, but it's not a mission yet.

Once you get to Ilium for the first time. You may have to read about it in your email first.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

The unskippable "dream sequences" in ME3 is far worse than any unskippable in the ME3 intro. Seriously gently caress those stupid bits where I have to run around chasing a drat kid.

If you run away from the kid enough times the game will give up and just jump to the dramatic moments where you catch up with the kid.

Milky Moor posted:

Didn't someone figure out that the turret section at the base is only there to cover a load time for the next sequence?

You can beat that turret section without firing a shot. In general for most of those turret sections you can just skip using the turret at all. Those sections are a lot better if you stick to using your powers or melee.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

I have the sinking feeling that Kai Leng will be a party member.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Lt. Danger posted:

"headcanon"

The "Lore" is pretty high on the list too.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

sassassin posted:

Kaidan is the strongest squadmate.

That's why I always choose for him to stay and deal with the nuclear situation.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Transmogrifier posted:

Ryder confirmed as the name of the protagonists, the woman at the end of the trailer yesterday is one of them, and they are apparently brother and sister with different achievements associated with them if I understood correctly.

Perfect surname for a Mass Effect protagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

It's going to be Cerberus behind it all.

• Locked thread