Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

So, just finished it.
Here are my thoughts.

Bah gently caress taking plot discussion to the spoiler thread.

First, gently caress banshees. I don't know if it's intended but numerous times they have done their annoying pick you up and stab you with a giant arm motion from like 10 feet away and I've been dragged towards them. That last fight on Earth was bad enough on Normal, I'm dreading Insanity. Interestingly first few times I saw that animation I thought they were just stroking your head and doing some weird twisted Reaper-Ardat Yakshi thing where they steal your soul just with a touch. Then I noticed the other hand, lol.

On the whole, I thoroughly enjoyed the game. It is certainly not world-shatteringly good or about to completely break a mold, but I got a lot of enjoyment out of it (when I really should have been studying.)

Honestly, my biggest complaint of the game (as anyone who has played multi with me will know) is that I am a member of team Quote Stack. That scene where you are fleeing a Cerberus base and hundreds upon hundreds of troops are pursuing you... I was practically shouting 'LET ME AT THEM!' Would have been SO much fun.

Man, that was way longer than intended.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Mar 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Seriously the more I think about it the more I hate Banshees. They are so aggressive with their mini-charge and the moment they get near you you're hosed. That final survive until you can fire the missiles fight was loving torture because I kept backing away and getting smoked by the Reaper's laser. I don't mind Marauders, Brutes, any of the other enemies but gently caress I hate Banshees.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also I'm mad that the achievement for him was 'kill an old adversary'
Good job killing off Saren in the first game Bioware, he could have been that old adversary popping up throughout all the games to gently caress you over every single chance he got and you finally track him down at the end.

LibbyM posted:

I didn't think the Banshee's were so bad in the end. But my whole everything was built around fighting Reapers. I was a Biotic with Energy Drain as my crew skill. So I could regularly refill shields off of banshee's that still had their barrier, and I could burn down their armor fast with Warp. On top of that I had Liara (warp), and Garrus (party wide armor peircing ammo). Banshee's went down fast.

I'm a Vanguard usually with just a shotgun. Ouch.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I read books. posted:

Is anyone else as annoyed by the Prothean's obnoxious voice as I am? Seriously, who's idea was that?

It bothered me that they thought 'hmmm.... ancient, alien. Oh I know, African!' Reminded me a lot of the voice Whitaker? puts on in the Last King of Scotland.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm going to talk about what ME3 did rightest.
It made Shep yell like a madman during charge and nova. He just sounds like he's having a great time bringing out his inner Viking and roaring at the top of his lungs as he smashes through wave after wave of enemies.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Someone needs to update the Vanguard gentleman's guide.
START:
Have you maxed out Charge, choosing radius and 100% barrier refill? YES
Have you maxed out Nova, choosing Piercing and increased power damage? YES
Are you carrying only one weapon to bring your recharge time to 200% or as close to it as possible? YES

1 Choose an enemy
Is it chargable?
YES - Go to 2 (angry shep face)
NO - Go to 1
2 Is your enemy in the middle of a group?
YES - Go to 3
NO - Go to 1
3 CHARGE
Is your target dead?
YES Go to 1
NO Go to 4
4 NOVA
Is your target dead?
YES Go to 1
NO Go to 3

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress it. Second run. Did a Vanguard my first time, suggestions for character?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I need advice, going to do my Insanity run, Vanguard again or something else?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

What is a good bonus power for an Infiltrator?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's like a totally different game, playing as an Infiltrator. Vanguards are completely loving broken, wow.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

OrangeGuy posted:

Why is that?

[EDIT]: I just keep second guessing myself since I still enjoy using guns in Mass Effect 1 but also really enjoyed using a sniper rifle when landing on a planet to pick off enemy sentries at the entrance to a base before moving in. Then again, I wanted to try giving a biotic-enabled character a shot since I never toyed around with it when I first rented the game several years ago.

Granted, I am still at the very beginning of the game and it has been a few years since I played last. I can take sniper rifles as a bonus talent as a Vanguard, right? Even for now, Pistol + Marksman makes for good medium-ranged sniping whereas shotguns are always great.

Infiltrators actually have to use cover. It's a strange feeling after playing as a Vanguard so long.
I'm talking about from ME2 on, by the way.

In ME1, make sure you create your high-powered assault cannon by putting high explosive rounds and as many scram rails as your shotgun can hold. It'll send anything but a Krogan sprawling, it's awesome.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's been a while, but isn't there an ability for 'no overheat' in ME1 with ARs? If there is, I've always wanted to slap high explosive rounds and just blast everything in sight. Anyone tried that?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

I know it's going to be a massive ballache but if I want to get the insanity achievement in ME1 what class should I play as and should I start at 1 or import an already completed the game once Shepherd? Think I have an Engineer at 50 and a vanguard at 56. If I imported that would get me the level 60 achievement as well so I suppose that's probably the best way to go.

I played an Adept. Insanity is just a pain in the rear end and Krogan in particularly can really wreck your poo poo because of how fast they regen. Biotics are a big help.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Maybe it was a bad idea going straight to insanity with infiltrator but I'm loving awful with it HOW DO I DO THIS

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Revenant Threshold posted:

I went Insanity Infiltrator to start with, and while there are certainly particular sections which are really difficult, it's worth it. Basically any kind of enclosed arena where you start surrounded is going to massively gently caress you over, likewise with irregular cover points.

I tend to save my cloak for "they threw a bomb at me, time to relocate" (which doesn't always work, because at Insanity it can only take one stray shot from enemies who know where you were to kill you non-shielded, but eh). Banshees are no problem. Phantoms, on the other hand, are arseholes.

Having said all that, I just picked up my Black Widow. Glee.

Alright I'll have a crack on a lower difficulty see if I can get used to it and work my way up. Seriously... after the invincibility of a vanguard I just feel so frail. It's going to take a total shift of my thinking to get anywhere.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Viperix posted:

And I did one with Javik, because while I have problems his character's personality, he comes around, and his dialog is great and often entertaining.

Honestly Javik is the loving best. He is a total rear end in a top hat and basically says repeatedly that the Protheans were total dicks. Love it.

Such a total subversion of expectations, the way Liara goes on you think they're some enlightened race and then he comes along and he's like 'haha, nope, we were total dicks to everyone'

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

:respek:

Don't need no biotics to save the universe, son.

I still can't get over how the massive split that you see in scores in Multiplayer. I think everyone here would agree with me Vanguards tend to absolutely dominate the scoreboard. The strange thing is I die a LOT and yet my score is almost invariably number 1 - last game I played I was well over double the score of the closest person. Then Banshees came along and I died like a bitch to the very first one on my first Charge, gently caress that pickup attack.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

What is the deal with this chick who licked a PSP, why is that something to be known for, why is she in this game, why does she have no bearing on anything, what is the loving point?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Viperix posted:

For the record, I found no area that seemed to prevent Vanguarding to its fullest extent.

The final defend the missiles bit when they attack from the flank - worst mistake you can possibly make is to charge up to the platform they come down onto, because they come down from the roof and can fire on you, but you can't charge up there.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Was pleasantly surprised that they made references to Overlord though.

The 'square root of 906.1 is... Hello, Commander Shepard' was very heartwarming to me. Good to see he was doing so well :unsmith:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Magil of Shadow posted:

Honestly, I saw that scene for the second time this week, and it got me JUST as much as it did the first time. The entire Academy was loving awesome, but seeing this kid actually healthy, and doing well, was loving perfect.

It was really, really cool to see such a nice callback. That was one of the few times a game has made me feel physically disgusted, when you find out the truth in Overlord, so it was a really nice surprise to see him happy and healthy.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I hate to write fanfic, but I can't help but feel the best possible way to end this series would be the camera shot behind Anderson and Shepard as they sit there dying and watching the space battle with an end once and for all playing, and maybe as it becomes apparent they are both dead 'something' can be seen to be happening but with no indication of what. Seems more appropriate to me, particularly since this is Shepard's story, and it ends there.

Or something completely new, hell, I dunno.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Urdnot Fire posted:

You can't just make a non-white Renegade Shep, though.

Look at how wrong you are. Black shep best shep.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I been thinking about it and Marauder Shields would have been a lot funnier if they had stuck to that whole thing of him shooting down retarded ideas like the one where he goes 'synthetics don't have DNA. shields out.'

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK

I don't really even understand this whole holding the line bullshit

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Cbouncerrun posted:

Does anyone have any tips for the Atlas Hijacking achievement? I always tried to aim for the cockpit glass when it's shields were down but it always died before the glass broke. Do you have to use a low damage weapon or something?

I actually did it with a Graal spike thrower. The main thing is to keep your companions off it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I just got forwarded this and the Legion bit had me in stitches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hY8B7Gje4k&feature=share

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

To be honest I have real trouble with all of the romances because they're just so painful to watch.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

They didn't really playtest single player all that much did they? Two harvesters, scripted so I'm down to one bar of health, and the game took away all 8 of my medi-gel. And I can't aim at them in cover. And the barrier engine next to them is invincible. :thumbsup:

What part of the game was this?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

DerDestroyer posted:

Anyone got any weapon loadout suggestions for an infiltrator? I'm currently rockin a black widow and paladin. I find the paladin does it's job decently but I need something for the final few missions where you get swarmed by lots of enemies.

Locust? I've been using it recently and it destroys everything.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Banjodark posted:

If you're playing insanity, I'd take full barrier recharge on charge and half-barrier use on nova. The additional survivability and not blowing out all your shields after a nova can buy you the precious,few seconds you need to survive between charges.

What's a good bonus power for a vanguard? Is barrier worth the cool down reduction for the increased survivability and the detonate power (lift everything around you then charge/nova and blow it up)?

I am using Energy Drain. It's fantastic for fights when you can't easily charge (Grissom Academy, gently caress YOU) and a good option to keep your barriers topped up.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

dwazegek posted:

Huh, really? Does the Reaper kill them all when he lasers them?

I just said "gently caress it", activated cloak and leisurely strolled over to the button without even attempting to take them all out.

Horde-type things I usually breeze through without too much trouble. This one I panic-sprinted straight past absolutely everything and smashed the button the first chance I got.

The only other time I've had this is in Halo ODST when you're falling back up the hill towards the ONI building.

I'm not sure what was more intense.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

Javik is not racist, he's imperialist. Learn the difference :colbert:

Seconding the Shadow Broker and Overlord recommendations, with Arrival as a third option (YouTube that one if you don't get it).

Overlord also has one of the most satisfying callbacks in ME3.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

My new favourite thing in the entire series is pulling the Renegade interrupt on the dying Reaper and getting it carpet-bombed. That loving owns.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

When you have the option to talk to it you have to choose the bottom-right option, then the interrupt comes up when it's going on about order and chaos and Shepard's just like 'hard luck bro' and wastes it. It is one of the best interrupts, I think.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

As annoying as Kai Leng is, I forgive him simply for 'that was for Thane, you son of a bitch'

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

All of which is empirical proof that Renshep is the best shep.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Just dropping by to say that An End Once and For All is an utterly fantastic piece.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Zoran posted:

(which is the best setup power ever, because if you use Throw on someone at the apex, they explode, go flying 400 feet, and are suddenly yanked back down to the ground from a dozen stories up).

This is awesome. I must try this.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Yeah and having played Mass Effect 1 chatting up the one you down on Ranoch just doesn't measure up.

If you are talking to that one, you're doing it wrong. That Rennerupt is the best one in the series.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Count Choculitis posted:

Haha it really should be! I've got the instructions on how to do Rannoch in the OP, but I feel bad jumping in and yelling IT'S IN THE OP every time someone asks. :\

I stand by my argument of gently caress THE QUARIANS and also my argument of 'they are worse than the Batarians.'

Seriously, gently caress the Quarians, if I didn't need their fleet...

Also there are some mandatory renegade interrupts that should be added to the OP - punch Han'Gerrel and call in another airstrike on the Reaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

gently caress QUARIANS

• Locked thread