Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

LibbyM posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before but I don't want to read through the thread, as I am concerned of spoilers.

Is there a similer point of no return, like the reaper IFF in mass effect 2, when after you do that mission there's no time to do other missions?

It's the assault on The Illusive Man's Station

It is also very explicit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Lloyd Boner posted:

It barely affects the game. You can get every ending without it except Shepard living in Destroy but Destroy kills all the Geth so you're a genociding space racist if you choose it :colbert:. The best ending is clearly Synthesis. The loving kid even outright says it is..

Yeah. Should probably be put in the OP, but the magic number is 2800, which is reasonably attainable without MP. Well, technically, there's "better" endings, but that only depends on if you REALLY want to see a one second teaser cutscene to a finished series.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ymgve posted:

Even on Bronze, it's a completely different game than single player. I barely died in single player on Normal, but in multiplayer I've lost probably 75% of the bronze matches I've participated in. Doesn't help that the default weapons are awful compared to what you get in single player.

Setting the enemies to anything but Reapers makes things easier. (I find the Geth the easiest)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wizard of Wang posted:

How do I get From Ashes through Origin?

just start the game up and go into the DLC option from the main menu, it should be simple from there.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I have no idea what I missed in 50 pages, but I really liked that there wasn't some stupid bullet sink final boss fight that had nothing to do with how you played the rest of the game; just a completely balls-out battle with a shitload of Brutes and Banshees (even though Banshees are kind of "stupid bullet sink bosses")

I didn't even mind the brevity of the ending that much, the only bits of awful writing that stuck out to me were the opening attack on earth (Shep's monologue to the Big Table Guys was horrible), and Grunt falling off the face of the earth after his mission.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Shepherd clearly possesses EDI's body, and proceeds to make sweet transhuman love to Joker until the heat death of the universe. Canon.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
By the way, is the day one From Dust DLC a Zaeed kind of thing, where it's obviously not core game content, or is it a Shale-From-Dragon Age thing?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

serewit posted:

I think all of the enemies in MP are pretty well-balanced, except Reapers. gently caress Banshees. :shepface:

The stupid Rachni that love to knock you down to half a sliver of health from the opposite side of the map are my least favorite, both in MP and SP. gently caress those dudes.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
By the way, I am VERY disappointed in the lack of an achievement for never romancing any character in all three games :colbert:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The best way to take out reapers in MP is to go solo and gently caress everything with the spike shotgun :q:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

thetrin posted:

Never finding space love is its own reward.

I maintained a professional work environment for three games over like five years, and what do I get for my efforts? Nothing. God drat Bioware

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Psyker posted:

Endgame conjecture

The ending simply shows them punching out, but who knows from there? Maybe slaughter those rear end in a top hat Salarians?

No, everyone should learn live in peace until the end of days.

Except the Quarians, who should be blown up at the most convenient opportunity. Screw the Quarians.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Schurik posted:

I just got the Black Widow. Game. Over.

Three Rounds, each one kills everything without shields or Armor with one shot, everything that has shields or armor gets a tactical cloak headshot: instant death. I got myself some armor-piercing ammo as a bonus power, which makes Atlases hilarious. Also I have 40 spare rounds and can puncture through 1m of cover. I don't even carry a sidearm. This is on hardcore btw.

When I got that, my first thought was "Well, this thing can't possibly be worth $300,000".

A few moments later, I was all "Oh".

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

jcp982 posted:

I don't get the design logic in this game that says let's break up the action with a lot of slow walking. It happens like 5 times in the game. Why??

it's really one of the poorer decisions in the game, along with the removal of the Mission/Assignment separation in the journal (so you can separate Actual Missions with "find something on planet, give to guy on citadel" missions

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

MadRhetoric posted:

The lack of variance between ending cinematics seems slapdash, but the thrust of all the endings are pretty ballsy, especially for a big budget lowest common denominator space opera game. You wanted consequences, you wanted real ballkicker choices, you got 'em in spades. Everything ends, but not everything ends happily ever after. It's to be expected for Space Jesus and the ending of Shep's story, if not exactly completely cathartic. Honestly, I feel that the catharsis already came at the point you're apparently kicked back to for the inevitable DLC: you're ready to rock, have made most of the hard decisions, and have consigned yourself that this is the final ride. It's pretty much all over but the crying by the actual endgame.

The presentation is pretty rushed feeling, though.

(ending spoilers)
I actually got a "bad" ending first (less than 2800 War Fun Dollars, so I didn't get the synthesis choice, and sending the Reapers back killed me), and it really felt "right" in how bad the war had been for everyone. Mordin had died, Tali had died, Garrus and Liara died at the conduit, the game started off with Kaiden nearly dying, and all that. It felt right for it to end on a bittersweet note like that, and I really didn't miss not having a Fast Times At Ridgemont High "what they did now" slideshow.

The stupid stargazer thing was dumb, though

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I haven't gotten to any zero-g segments yet. I'm only ~8 hours into the game. When should I expect to play one, and what's so bad about them?

there's a part in the Quarian mission where you walk in zero-G through a docking tube, it's just a really slow boring walk that takes way too long. It's only one part, don't worry about it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

jcp982 posted:

Ohhh right. Yeah that was a weird segment. Clearly some snipping was done here or something.

It actually seemed more like padding than snipping. Ditto the sections with shitloads of waves that take forever on any difficulty above normal.

It's weird if they felt the need to pad the game, I rushed through it (didn't listen to any side convos, only did about half the side missions) and got 18 hours played, that's a ton these days.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

hunted by a freak posted:

What exactly determines the "Galactic Readiness"? It's been 50% across the board for the entire game for me so far despite my "Effective Military Strength" meter being completely full.

It's filled by playing Multiplayer.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Gaseous Snake posted:

My readiness seems to have gotten worse since doing multiplayer.

It dropped one point for me for some reason, I'm not sure why.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
fyi the "magic number" (unless you really, really want to see one second of teaser footage) is 2800, not 5000, which is pretty reasonable to attain with 50% readiness.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Roving Reporter posted:

This game looks pretty awesome but from what I can gather is pretty plot heavy(one of the reasons it drew me in). Will I be lost if I just jump in here? Or is it worth picking up 1 or 2 to get a good feel for the series?

1 is kind of trash from a gameplay perspective, but unfortunately, the plot kinda goes through all three games. 2 is great, and still the best in the series for me, but you might be lost without knowing what happened in 1.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Oh christ, why didn't I try using the Scorpion before

Put a scope on it and it murders everything

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dan Didio posted:

Arrival is easily the worst of the mission pack DLC's. Go Overlord.

EDIT: Overlord isn't particularly mind-blowing, either, but it's much better than Arrival.

Arrival has one cool feature, which is that you can actually wait for the big countdown clock to reach 0 and lose the game, for whatever possible reason you would want to do that.

Other than that, it's stinky.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Depths posted:

Anyone who is not playing this game without a proper audio system is really missing out because the audio is really good. It's an awesome feeling when a reaper shoots his laser beam and the entire room rumbles.

This is true, it's some of the best audio work I've heard in a game since Battlefield 3.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wingless posted:

^^ the emergency induction port is one of my favourite ME3 moments

it's kind of weird since she does it even if Miranda lives

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, Jacob's mission is just... kind of there. Maybe it'd be more interesting if I had used the character I completed Overlord with, but I doubt it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
By the way, as someone who really did not like Jack in ME2, I have to say that I enjoyed her side mission much more than I thought I would.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

The MSJ posted:

You know how people said Shepard sounds so horny when talking to Jacob in ME2? I saw a video of a Femshep who romanced him meeting Jacob in ME3. She sounds so.... stalker-ish. It's creepy.

I love the Shepard/Jacob scenes, because they're like something out of a "Sexual Harassment in the Workplace" educational video

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
e: ignore

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Capsaicin posted:

Just started, so I'm pretty much going to have to play multiplayer to get the "real" ending? :\

The Normandy feels so different, but looks so the same :(

If you get 2800 War FunBux, you can get the "real" ending, and that's easily attainable with no MP play. Just do lots of sidequests, and scan lots of systems.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I liked that the whole deal about time-sensitive missions had the opposite effect intended, I ended up delaying all the "PRIORITY URGENT DANGER" missions under the reasoning that there's no way they'd let the story missions expire :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Cart Mountain posted:

Do you know if I could go back to any save that I had during that mission and change it, or would I have to do it before I even start that mission?

no. i've reloaded saves during the final missions when my EMS went up from playing MP, and I still got the "bad" ending. you have to start the final series of missions when you have at least 2800 WarBux.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

sassassin posted:

When do you ever have to move in the middle of a fight to collect more ammo? You either have powers or a poo poo load of other guns to fall back on.

on Insanity, a shitload of times. It's actually kind of cool

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

WarLocke posted:

I just finished Grissom Academy. That atrium fight, gently caress I was completely dry on ammo at least twice. Thank god for respawning thermal clips, but gently caress dashing out to grab one while a turret spins up. :black101:

I was kind of disappointed there was no squad banter (Liara/Javik) though. And the last fight I just stomped around in a mech and blew guys to poo poo, it was kind of anticlimactic.

I managed to lose that fight once because the very last guy got thrown off the map, but didn't die, so the squad kept shooting at the roof. That was not a good moment.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
There are some dumb things about ME3 but I'm pretty sure a giant bomb exploding if you don't defuse it (I really hope "A bomb explodes if you don't defuse it" isn't a spoiler) isn't one of them

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RBA Starblade posted:

I went to the Citadel after every side mission and basically did laps everytime I did a thing and I still completed every mission. I didn't even know there was a time limit beyond "you lose missions as plot progresses". How do you even mess up that badly as to let the bomb explode? I did it as the very last thing before the priority mission.

I think you actually have to do the priority mission first for that to happen

which would be dumb, except the game basically goes "hey, you should probably do both of these missions before the priority one, hint hint"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

UnknownMercenary posted:

How did you manage Vanguard on Insanity? :psyduck:

having an instant "recharge shields" power actually makes it much easier

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
OK, god drat. Anyone have tips on getting through the triple Geth Prime fight on Insanity? There aren't even any rocket troop mooks I can overload/sabotage hack :smith:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
wow, i am an idiot

I kind of wonder if "sabotage works on shielded geth primes" was intended behavior, considering that it doesn't work if you blow off their shields and try to use it on their armor bar :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
also I think I'm going to just stop using the Widow on my next run, I went from bouncing all over the map blowing people to bits with shotguns and ARs, to sniping people across the map with my $300K Black Widow. Which is significantly less entertaining. (also the Javelin sounds so much cooler anyway)

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 31, 2012

• Locked thread