Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Auuughh...going crazy. Can't wait to get home and play. The spoiler thread got all spoilery so I had to go away. Anyone else hoping they added a bit to the end? 4 gigs is an awful lot of new content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just finished a ME1 playthrough w/ Ashley as my romance. I ended up very impressed with her character arc. She starts off as the space racist, but by the end of the game she has turned around entirely.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

CharlestheHammer posted:

Debatable, I find Javik horribly annoying. Hell is "I am superior" much a character? Though I never got how people liked characters like him, Garrus, and whoever the mercenary dude is (can't remember his name), so whatever.

I couldn't stand Javik. His only use was as a plot helper.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Paragon Lost:

Good: Backgrounds, CGI, End "choice."

Bad: Heros like look very poorly done anime (like most anime.) The baddies look like crap you'd see on a Saturday morning, sell toys tv show. The dialog and plot up till the "choice."

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
One thing to keep in mind about ME3: no matter how cheaply you purchase the main game, you still have to pay around $50 or so to get the DLC, and you need the DLC.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You absolutely need From Ashes. If you don't have it, you aren't playing ME3. You are playing ME3 lite. You need Citadel because it is the best thing in the series. You need Leviathan because it is such a crucial part of the story. Omega is the only piece that isn't a major part of the story.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Drifter posted:

What does that even mean?

It means that From Ashes contains the main non-Shephard character. Javik should have been part of the main game and it is BS that they charged for him, but it is what it is.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

FauxGateau posted:

Yes, besides you don't want her to be some weird shut-in who spends all her time on that thing.

Yeah, it would really suck if she just sat on a couch all the time.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ineffiable posted:

Finally, I can start my ME1 insanity playthrough. What's the best squad for each planet?

If you are going for achieves, which guys do you still need to get the achieves for? That should point you in the right direction. My insanity playthrough will be Wrex/Garrus/Adept the entire time.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just started insanity. I got annoyed at having to redo most of mars because I had the wrong pistol for Eva Core. At one point I hid in the corner and went to the bathroom. When I came back the battle was nearly done and no one had died. This is like ME1 on easy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

IcePhoenix posted:

Just wait, he'll show up again. It usually takes me a few tries to catch him.

Yeah, this isn't hard at all. You can literally just stand there and look down and wait and then click the button over and over if you want to do it the lazy way. He'll come into your field at some point.

I just grabbed him this afternoon after running around collecting my model ships. What the hell was the point of the model ships being all over? I can see the hamster escaping. I can see someone loving with my quarters. I can't see them taking my models and hiding them around the ship.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Vanguard was ruined for me by playing a femshep. Won't do that again. Maybe I'll try vanguard again, though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I recently started a new playthrough of ME3. I am kind of shocked by how well done the game is while at the same time being awful to play. Everything is so much smoother in terms of story and gameplay, but the tone is so dark and bleak it's just a struggle to do much. It also feels much less free than the others.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Drifter posted:

I don't get this. Was it the voice acting - I don't even think there's gender + Class specific conversations? As far as I'm aware the gameplay itself doesn't change at all between genders.

Because I could never get into femshep. She never felt right. It was work getting through a game and a half with her. I never liked her and she started creeping me out in ME2 when she was talking to Jacob. I know the goons have a love affair with her but I could never get into it. Shrug.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Chasiubao posted:

I just stop talking to Jacob after his loyalty mission. Problem solved :shepface:

I did the same my last playthrough. I really liked him the first time, but the last time he just rubbed me the wrong way. I ignored him for the vast majority of the game. I also liked Miranda much more this time.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Mazerunner posted:

Same with Jacob. I mean, he seems to be set up as Miranda's nice counter-part- he's ex-Alliance, his motives are about helping people, he distrusts Cerberus and again, he's rather open and friendly up until after Freedom's Progress and the galaxy map opens up. As for not interesting- he was a loving space pirate how does he end up being so dull? He just kind of closes himself off, which isn't inherently a bad character, but in ME2's character roster being 'just a dude' doesn't really cut it, I guess.

Well Miranda switches sides because she sees what the collectors did. Jacob is distrustful of Cerberus until IFF and then he is gung ho.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It will be MME the MMO. You too can be an Asari.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Femshep is so loving Kirk its ridiculous.

She'd look good in a red shirt.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
"Rape" rape. As opposed to "RAPE!!" rape. Grape ape.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sentinel Red posted:

Awesome how our baby brogan turned it around and won everyone over, huh?

He's another one I liked a lot less on my second playthrough. Dude comes off as psychotic. I was very disappointed. In general, I liked everyone less the second time through except Miranda and Kasumi, who I liked more, and Samara and Zaeed, who I liked the same. Garrus no longer felt like a space bro. Grunt was psycho. Jacob boring. Jack was still a huge bitch, but this time I NSA'd her.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
No Legion, either. At least they got Shep, right. :colbert:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jerusalem posted:

Many people would say gender too!

I meant gender.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Okay, Jacob.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ashley starts off racist but after working with the space bros and space hos she changes her mind.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Not everyone is an early adopter of new technologies.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Fangz posted:

The ending is fine, as long as you keep expectations under control.

Yes. Expect utter shite and you'll be okay.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
ME1 is my favorite and it's not close. It has the best intro. It has the best ending. It has the best version of the Citadel. It's the only one where your choices really do make a big difference in an apparent way. Choosing whether or not to do loyalty missions or who goes with what team are not real choices. I'm talking about who is gonna live and die.

The galaxy feels like a big thing to explore. You don't get that in the other ones. Also, 1 is a RPG and the others are shooters. No comparison there.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't get the Arrival hate. It seemed, to me, to be a solid piece of DLC linking 2 and 3.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wish the reapers were only hitting a planet at a time. Spreading throughout the galaxy just struck me as lame and overly impossible odds.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I love the Mako and think it is one of the funner parts of ME1. It can get annoying when it becomes challenging, but it's a game, they are supposed to be challenging.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I find those terrain challenges fun. 180 degree turns are kind of broken, though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jerusalem posted:

ME1 also gave you huge amounts of equipment AND a set-limit on how much you could carry, so you'd suddenly find yourself having to click,"Okay I get it I'm nearing the 150 cap" on every single new piece of equipment you got. I'm sure many people just hit the "take all" button so they could continue playing the game, so having to click through each item and then take the time to go through your inventory of mostly useless equipment to convert to omnigel was a pain. Plus your omni-gel capped out at 99, so you really needed to sell that stuff which you couldn't do till you were back on the Normandy or flew to the nearest planet with a merchant.

This was bad design but should only happen on your first playthrough, and only partway through. Once you learn that you need to manage inventory, you should be able to. It's still the one bad aspect of ME1 as opposed to the other games.

But ME1 is a RPG and the other two are shooters.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
E: ^^^ You forgot how much better the Citadel is in ME1. It actually feels like a place rather than...well, whatever they did in the next two games.

Why does EDI sit with her legs crossed in the cabin?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
From Ashes > Leviathan.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
And once you have finished the game, please come to the spoiler thread to rage a bit. No one has gotten that cycle going in a while. Then, in a month, get Citadel because it is the best thing ever. Don't get it until you finish the game, though.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jerusalem posted:

Haha yes, this time around I saved my cash instead of blowing it on clearing out every store on the Citadel and picked up the Black Widow and now dudes are literally exploding when I shoot them.

I'm playing on insanity and anything that has no shield/barrier/armor is dead in one shot. It's funny taking out three dudes in a couple seconds.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Daionus the 23rd posted:

Recently got the three games on Amazon for the 360. What are the reccommended DLCs?

1 - Bring down the sky should come with it
2 - everything
3 - everything except Omega.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Daionus the 23rd posted:

Sentinel it is.

I'd say Sentinel last. Infiltrator is the way to go for a first play through because in 2 and 3 the survivability is highest.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Bouchacha posted:

I bought each game in the series for $6 each. Thus, I have a really hard time convincing myself that a $15 DLC is worthwhile. Do they ever go on sale? I assume not.

Nope, and part of the reason you got them so cheap is the expectation that you will buy DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ainsley McTree posted:

With only $30, I'd say Citadel for ME3 and Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME2. They're consistently ranked as the most popular.

I'd say From Ashes is far more valuable at this point.

Get From Ashes and Leviathan. Then in a month or so when you have scrounged up 15 bux, get Citadel. Citadel is the epilogue to the story and works best if played after the game is over.

• Locked thread