Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Just a head's up that for those who bought the digital version off Origin, if you're missing any of your extras, double check that nothing hiccuped with the download by clicking the i button. I know some were missing thier artbook and/or soundtrack which for some reason didn't fire off installing like the game and DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Fat_Cow posted:

Any trainers out yet so I can just spike my Readiness rating to max?

I think one's in the works, but I'm not 100% on that. I'm a bit interested in something like what we had with the Gibbed editor for ME2.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Default femshep looks a bit weird. Thankfully one of the presets look like Diane Lane... so ME3 is actually Judge Dredd for me right now.

"I AM THE LAW"

The more I look at the new default femshep face, the more it looks like a female version of Jackie Earle Haley to me.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Lawlicaust posted:

I'm really debating if I want to do a NG+ now or wait to see what the future dlc will be. I kinda want to do a NG+ now because I had so many bugs that broken quests and characters.

I had about 5 missions that would update, I had a mission that wasn't fully implemented (I got access to a cluster that was flashing and had a planet with one of the big quest boxes but I couldn't interact with the planet at all), a few characters that didn't spawn (Most of the pre-invasion citadel events like Kelly weren't available), I had some really strange cutscenes/dialogue skips, and like most people I had the love interest ending bug (shows Liara instead of your LI).

After the ending, I just don't feel much motivation to do NG+ though. If that secret ending for NG+ rumor were true, I might give it a shot. Guess it's time to play a fuckton of multiplayer while the bugs get sorted out.

Only official spot where I've seen anything mentioned about NG+ is in the Prima guide stating "A secret ending is also available to players who complete the game a second time." and when looking at the listing of amount of points needed for which ending, it only lists the ones people are complaining about with mention of Liara's reward for keeping the paddlefish alive through an imported ME2 and ME3 playthrough . I've searched and asked around but no one's given me any answer on any definitive NG+ playthroughs. Closest said was that Xio guy who first leaked the endings from his Space edition allegedly said somewhere that he'd done an ME2 import playthrough and a NG+ playthrough in 20+ something hours with no change in endings.

Since I do question some of his playthroughs as some factors just don't seem to add up in my eyes, I'd really like to hear what someone else has to say about a NG+ playthrough ending. However since so many are posting that they're really not feeling it for any replays after going through the ending selection, I don't think we're going to see anything soon barring a Gibbed style editor for ME3 where you can just flag a fresh save to go through NG+.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

kuddles posted:

Well, I hope that someone finds a way to hack those numbers, because it will suck if you want to play this game 3 years from now or something and you have to do every single side mission to get the best ending because there is nobody playing multiplayer.

They've also said the iOS game and some Facebook game'll also raise readiness like multiplayer does, but so far the only Facebook thing I've found is that 'nag everyone you know to play the demo' one and I'm not buying an iPad/iPhone or the like just for a Mass Effect sidegame so I'm essentially stuck with multiplayer which while it's okay enough, I just really have to be in the mood to play it and I don't like that there's a strong possibility that I'll have to just to get an ending I want for the game. Since I also like to dig out old as gently caress games and replay, I'll still end up eventually hosed say 5+ or so years down the road and likely no servers still around to even try a solo multiplayer thing.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

The Aberrant posted:

Well, you can't really expect much from Jessica "Licked a PSP" Chobot or w/e the gently caress her name is.

Ever since a friend when looking at my screen thought she was Snooki, I can't unsee it.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

As I'm still nosing around to hear anything about the potential better ending from a NG+ game, I came across this post over on the Bioware forums regarding a player suggested option:

Quoted from Faraborne at the Bioware forums:
I received this from a friend who just beat ME3. This was his solution to the ending problem:

Proposal is as follows:
There should be a fourth option available at the end - and the beauty of it is that it would naturally branch in a way that satisfies both of the outcomes people are asking for.

Right now, the Guardian presents us with three options - destroy, control, and merge. Each are depressingly self-destructive in their own ways, and as we all know, we have no choice but to pick one. DLC could add a fourth option: REFUSE.

Shepard stabs a defiant finger in the Guardian's chest and declares it is not their right to "protect" us from the consequences of our own actions. If peace was forged between the Quarians and the Geth, Shepard cites that as proof that the Guardian's premise of inevitable conflict between synthetics and organics is wrong. If not, Shepard can simply deny the Guardian's conclusion and declare that we're going to go down fighting. Shepard delivers an ultimatum: take your abominations and go. Whether we live as a civilization or die by our own hand is a choice to be left to every one of us. So, f*** you very much, but thanks for thinking of us.

The Guardian blows off Shepard's ultimatum, and the Reapers continue to fight. At this point, the outcome is out of your hands. Shepard watches, unable to intervene, as the fleets continue to engage, the forces of the galaxy attempting to defeat the Reapers once and for all in conventional combat. The Guardian taunts you, trying to goad you into choosing one of the three options it offered, while assuming the forms of different people you've lost along the way: Virmire casualty, Anderson, and your love interest, dead or alive, just to screw with you. You can change your mind, or continue to stand and watch. If you gathered enough war assets (as in, much higher than the required amount for the "perfect" ending we're given now), the Reapers are defeated at horrific cost, but the Relay network remains intact, and Shepard gets to reunite with his/her LI and squad provided the Normandy survived the fight (itself dependent on other criteria). This would be the hardest ending to achieve, requiring the greatest effort and providing the most reward. You would really have to work your rear end off to do this, but as evidenced by this poll, most of the people here would be willing to try.

If you didn't have enough resources, the Reapers emerge victorious, and, having defeated the combined military might of the galaxy, they are free to harvest everyone else. The cycle continues. They win. Either way, you get to spit in the devil's face once more instead of bowing to the invariably self-destructive choice he offers you.

Me: I personally think this solution would be profound. Furthermore, it really gives five endings for the game. If you we're not fully prepared for the war, then Shepherd allows the Reapers to win without sacrificing his integrity (which would be a major win in my book). Finally, if you were fully prepared then you receive the most rewarding ending possible with what I think could potentially be one of the most creative boss fights in gaming history...a battle of wills alone.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/9655768/19#9704889 **Link leads to heavy spoilers and much wailing and gnashing of teeth**

I think this could work pretty well since it fits more in the vein of the previous games themes rather than the 'ZOMG!!1! last game in series needs to be deep since this is it!' crap we got .

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

randombattle posted:

So serious question now

Would people actually be interested in a Broken Steel sort of ending dlc pack that changed it up?

Personally I'd gladly drop 10$ bucks easy.

While on some level I'd like to say I would, for me it really depends on how Bioware addresses the situation. If they handle it in the manner they did the complaints on DA2, then they'd have to be packing a gently caress of a lot (think more on the lines of the old school expansion packs) into the DLC to get my money.

If they give us a wider range of endings such as the 'happy wedding with Chakwas catching the bouquet' and the 'Galaxy dead with Shepard laughing insanely as she breathes her last amidst the ruins' along with some more missions to help balance out this reported discrepancy between what's possible pointwise without multiplayer or to even help pad out previous choice repercussions, it'd ease some of my sourness over the situation.

As it stands now, I won't be doing anymore pre-orders of fancy versions of Bioware games, and if they handle this like they did in the DA2 situation, only thing I'd consider of Bioware's then would be a big maybe on Jade Empire 2.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Failboattootoot posted:

A little off-topic but how did they handle DA2? I actually liked it quite a bit so I ignored all the internet drama over it, but I would like to know so I have at least something to base expectations on for a fix to me3.

As Jarmel said, there was a good chunk of misalignment of expectations. From what I saw since I was only skimming the commotion as it happened, there were some pretty big flaws in the game (not just the usual fanwhining) that at first the official word was people weren't playing it right, they were misinterpreting things...etc... Surrounding all this was leaked script and I think a beta, writers and devs of the game posting like morons on the forums until I forgot how long after there was finally an admittance that the game wasn't as good as intended or something along those lines.

That Bioware's got it's people being very tightlipped at this point I'm figuring is a learned lesson from the DA2 commotion, and as much as everyone's thinking of a DLC adjustment, equally I keep thinking back to DA2 still not having the problems fixed despite fans having substantial lists of what needs fixing from interface, graphics and the rest.

Granted I can just be being a bit twitchy, but I'm trying to keep an open mind to what can or can't happen.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Banjodark posted:

FINISHED!

here's my thoughts:

I'm wondering what people like Count Choculitis think about Kaidan being open to male Shepards in the third game, does it retcon the character for you?

For me it doesn't change the character at all since in my eyes both he and Ash were pretty well developed characters from the beginning and now having wider orientation options is just another facet to the character which manifests depending on which of my Sheps is involved. For some he's the romance, for others he's the best buddy, and for others yet he's a pile of glowing ashes.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Aristobulus posted:

Someone spoil this for me, I never really played the game. How similar is ME3's ending to DA2's ending, and any outrage around it? I don't know a whole lot about DA2 other than that it's apparently a disappointing game.

If they are similar, I'm just surprised that Bioware went through with this, for their biggest game, despite already causing outrage over something similar in another series of theirs.

Really, if they don't do something about this, they are likely to sour their reputation for a lot of fans. I'm not going to be interested in getting invested in a new Bioware series after this, personally, if they never come out with an expansion or dlc or something that fixes the ending.

Going from what I've watched on my fiance's screen when he's played DA2, it essentially doesn't matter which choice one makes at the end for the factions since the leader of it's going to go crazy and fight your Hawke and both factions always end up to go the worst of their depiction even when it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. So I figure the DA2 comparison's essentially the fact that no matter what your character does, it's as if it were nothing.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

randombattle posted:

I can't comment on the track jacket but I got the N7 hoodie a few days ago in the mail and it is loving amazing. All the stuff seems to come from the same manufacturer so this might help you.

The hoodie is about twice as heavy as I thought it would be which is fantastic. The seams so far seem very well done and I've only had a few spare threads come out. The Stripe is double stiched on so it's nice and snug with out anything sticking out. The sitched in N7 has a few strands starting to come up but that's no big deal. Pockets are nicely lined.

If the track jacket is even half as well made as the hoodie I'd say go for it. I do not regret my purchase at all and for the 50 bucks it was on sale a hoodie this warm was a steal.

Only thing to possibly add is the sizes do tend to lean towards the small end since with my N7 hoodie I got the next size up and it just makes it with a thick sweatshirt or sweater on underneath. If I went with my standard size it wouldn't've been able to zip shut.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

NihilCredo posted:

Speaking of armour, does anyone use the Collector armour? Bonuses or not, it looks pretty retarded. I could see a crazy melee guy wearing the fantasy-style arena ones, but the grey goo is just...ew. The Cerberus one feels pretty silly too from a flavour point of view, although it looks good otherwise.

One of my renegade Sheps did, but then he was all into that 'wearing the flesh of my enemies to strike fear into others' kinda thing in ME2. Any time someone'd go kiss him with that on I'd crack up.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

etjester posted:

Some pretty unsurprising statistics:

From the Final Hours app.

I still don't put much stock in those numbers since they can't account for those who don't play connected online or those who are just playing a friend's copy as a tryout.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Verviticus posted:

How does some small number of people that probably constitute a very similar breakdown change the validity of those numbers?

There's no reason to believe that less people play soldier or as a female because they didn't log on.

I look at it as more of a 'these numbers that are touted as set in stone fact' aren't 100% accurate and should be taken as an approximate. We don't know how many aren't factored in. It could be a small number or something more substantial.

A comparison would be presuming the entirety of the loons over on the Bioware forums constituting a valid representation of people who play Bioware games when the actuality is it's more just the really vocal subset of the particular subgroup of people who are motivated enough to seek out and join a particular company's message board.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Aristobulus posted:

They are also only the xbox360 version. Though I would imagine the numbers for PC are pretty similar.

I'm not really surprised that "male soldier" is the most popular Shep. For one, it is what default Shep is. For two, it's the most "normal/standard" configuration. So people that want an easy, simple game will pick that. Not that soldier necessarily is easier or simpler, but when you're just starting the series out, and don't know the classes, you're likely to think it is, just like a lot of people assume warriors are the easiest class to play and figure out in mmos.

And, incidentally, it seems that usually the most standard, normal races are some of the most played in MMOs. Like, aren't humans/orcs the most played of the races in WoW?

I'd have to say it's a hard call for PC players since from what I've seen, PC players tend to lean more towards the non-casual type as opposed to console players. Of course if anyone has anything stating otherwise, I'd like to read it since I'm honestly curious.

I can see male soldier being most common first choice on a playthrough since if memory serves is the first click option to just get in and go. Me, it was female adept.

As far as MMOs go, from what I remember of my WoW time it seemed to depend on server as to what preponderance was there. Considering this was some time back, I vaguely remember on my main server it was heavily human/belf, but if you looked at my last guild it was more like drunk zombie brigade.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Noxville posted:

Books can be rewritten after publication too. Tolkien revised parts of The Hobbit to mesh with he story he told in LotR about the discovery of the ring.

In the case of Jack Ketchum's Off Season, publisher requested the ending changed because it was that much of a sledgehammer downer so the first run of the book had the different ending until it went out of print. Ketchum had it re-released with the original ending some years back so both versions are still out there.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

The MSJ posted:

Wouldn't be the first grieving widow a Bioware protagonist romance. There was Jaheira in Baldur's Gate 2.

I think it's a Bioware standard for there to be some possible romance character who's a widower. Carth, Sky...

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Android Blues posted:

I honestly don't understand it. I don't mind the "damaged character is healed by interaction with the protagonist" thing, even though it's hacky, but what on Earth is romantically appealing about freshly grieving widowers? Why is that a thing that recurs to such a degree that it feels like someone at Bioware's fetish?

I say this liking Cortez. It's just the profusion of romance-able characters using basically the same weird hook in their games that baffles me.

I know the grieving widower archetype's been a staple of romance novels for as far back as they've existed in print, so it wouldn't surprise me that Bioware's milking that staple for all it's worth and then some.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Wibbleman posted:

I got mine about 5 days after release. I guess its just that EA/origin is crappy. Considering everything else just got dumped onto my origin account, not sure why the guns couldn't be.

I got my email on release day yet my fiance didn't get the email at all. I don't think it helped that the header for the email with the codes is something generically referencing a pre-order so it's more likely to be ignored or deleted than draw attention to 'Hey, the rest of your pre-order goodies are here'.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Lloyd Boner posted:

There is nowhere near enough red for that to be accurate.

It's about on par for here. Now if we were going by the Bioware forums...I'm not sure there's enough of the right hue of red needed.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

magimix posted:

There is one instance I know of where hand-ins *don't* show up on the map, but otherwise yes, they show up on the map, and the map for a floor can be accessed whatever other floor you may be on. Also useful on the Normandy to keep tabs on people, since they sometimes move around.

Wait...the Normandy's got a map?

:negative: At least I take some comfort in for once it's not me posting I found something obscure.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Doc Dee posted:

It's called Bring Down The Sky. I don't know if it's still available for free, but that'd be pretty awesome. Way better than not being able to get either DLC since ME2 came out via XBL.

Figured I'd help in some way. :eng99:

It's still free for PC, though because of something getting bolluxed up when they did the forums changeover so you will need to speak to someone at the Origin helpchat to get you a registration code as anything that was on file before got wiped. the new code is tied to your account (found that out when I tried to use the one my fiance had) but I would suggest writing it down so you don't have to go through the bs again if you have to reinstall down the road for whatever reason.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

evilmiera posted:

I honestly wouldn't mind something like an alternate universe where all of ME2 and ME3 never happened, just rewriting everything that came after 1 to introduce new threats and chances to explore more of the universe from an ME1 mindset. And obviously, they'd bring back the Mako. And maybe rides on elevators.

I'd actually consider paying for this or a Mass Effect 3: Redux with all the good parts that were cut restored and a rewrite on the parts where the ball was dropped in the storyline and design handling.

As much as that'll likely never happen, and despite how sour I was over the endings fiasco and how lovely they handled character dialogs from when I last posted in thread, I still cling to a bit of fool's hope. Hell, I'm still debating the Leviathan DLC since I keep bickering with myself over what's the point since it's not really going to affect anything besides war assets so the multiplayer becomes more of a 'if I want to' instead of a 'have to' thing.

Though speaking of the Leviathan DLC, has there been anything released as to numbers sold since we were all debating how well it'd sell in light of how the ending fiasco went?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121913-Zaeed-Massani-Voice-Actor-Dies

Just found this out a moment ago. Robin Sachs has passed on.

edit-should've checked the other thread first.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Monni posted:

So, has anyone tried out MEHEM? Yeah, apparently someone made a literal Happy Ending Mod for Mass Effect 3.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/368/index/14795358/1

Sounds kind of pathetic, but the fact that it completely removes Casper intrigues me. It's probably just adding Shepard to one cutscene and removing everything else. Although it's impressive that the creator has managed to change anything, considering that there has never been any sort of modding scene for Mass Effect games. I guess when you're desperate enough, you can move mountains.

I know this is from a bit back but no one's responded yet.

I've tried this one and the MEEM mod, and both are worth giving a go to see which works better for you. Calling it the Happy Ending mod's a bit of a misnomer since that title makes it seem like it's going to pull a Tali's Picnic Party kinda thing when all it does is fix a lot of the bs still present after the EC DLC. In my case while it still leaves ME3 with some eyetwitching level of flaws, it did improve things enough for me that I at least don't feel queasy anymore when I think of how much I spent on the pre-ordered collector's edition. I do hope it opens the door to further modding, but if it doesn't, so be it. The main thing for me is it did rework things enough that I'll get more than one playthrough out of the game.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Sylphosaurus posted:

You know, I was thinking of doing a completionist run through the entire ME sereis and I think I'll have Kaidan as the Virimire survivor this time. The above quote only reinforces this fact.

Specced well, Kaidan's pretty solid. Running with him and Wrex or him and Liara and mobs end up in the stratosphere before you notice.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

And by less often - never. The DLC never goes on sale. It's extremely frustrating.

The closest to any breaks given with any form of DLC from Bioware's been that one where they allowed the unlocking of all pre-order bonuses for both Dragon Age games.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Unclouded posted:

Xbox users had the ME2 DLC go on sale a few times. I know I picked up both Kasumi and Overlord for half price a few years back when Lair of the Shadow Broker first came out.

Strange in that they'd treat PC differently from console with sales on DLC. I likely would've splurged a bit more on DLC if there had been any sales available for my format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What are some good mods?

I don't care about combat at this point, since I've beaten the game sans "fixed" ending dlc. I'm doing a new playthrough so I've seen the story at this point.

Well, traditionally there's not been much as far as the modding front goes. With that said, I did find this a bit ago: http://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/ As it is the Nexus, peruse at one's own caution.

• Locked thread