Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Sombrerotron posted:

Would you really have been happier if BioWare had just told a blatant lie?

That's called marketing. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The MSJ posted:

ME3 statistics. Linked because there might be spoilers.

http://i.imgur.com/J9Q1jzV.jpg

Jesus, all those poor sons of bitches who never got to meet Wrex.

I wonder what the numbers would be if the character defaulted to the female version and you had to manually switch it over to maleShep.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If you're bad at combat you can always use the Arc-pistol and stay charged up, hit 'shift' or whatever to ingame pause and just aim head shots from there - the gun will fire once you exit out of the pause.

Better than a sniper rifle.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

-Troika- posted:

Does Mass Effect Trilogy include all ME3 DLC?

There is no relevant DLC in those trilogy packs. Just the weapons packs and junk, no story ones.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

-Troika- posted:

welp

Is there any version that includes all DLC?

Nope. You have to buy the DLC separately.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I ended up getting ME3 for free as past of the SimCity fiasco. I really don't want to reward EA for screwing that up, but is there any must-buy DLC? I heard that Citadel is worth it, especially if you've played through the series from the beginning.

In my opinion, all of the DLC adds to the main game, but I would say that the Omega dlc is the least important (although others would say the opposite).

The Leviathan actually gives you some cool mission stuff, and yeah, Citadel is the best. From Ashes gives you a character that should have been included in the base game, story-wise, even if he is kind of useless as a character.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 26, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ainsley McTree posted:

I just really like orbital insertions in my sci-fi, that's all.

You get plenty of those in the Mass Effect series. :pervert::liara::dong::fella:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 1, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
They allegedly wrote one, but cut it before release for some reason. I liked it, to be honest.

http://i.imgur.com/Q9DmN.jpg

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
This might sound weird, but I was pretty impressed with femShep's knees when she wore the dress. As in, her legs really had a realistic texture definition. In Citadel, when she was wearing that dress, I was thinking 'wow, that model's leg art is actually really good'.

I'm weird, I guess. :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pierson posted:

So I screwed up and forgot to do the Zaeed and Kasumi missions before starting Citadel. Is there any way to un-flag the DLC as complete in my savegame so I can go grab those two and drag them to the party?

You can complete the citadel mission DLC and complete other non-dlc game mission before going back to finish that party.

Citadel mission and citadel party are two separate instances.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pierson posted:

I did all that already, that's the problem. :(

I literally forgot both of them existed, it's been so long since ME2. Which is weird since Zaeed owned so much.

VVV Nnnnnnope! Well guess this gives me an excuse for another playthrough.

Ahaha. You're not really missing much. Kasumi just turns invisible most of the party, pooping out to deliver wacky one liners and then roots through your underwear drawer and I forget what Zaeed does because he's dumb and smells like butt and he's a big fat butt.

Watch their youtube clips.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mastajake posted:

No. Leviathan should be done after the mission that introduces Banshees, but Omega has its own class of enemies not seen anywhere else, :words:.

The elusive couch. My white whale. :argh:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I guess that quest was Mass Effect's attempt at an "open world' quest. I was so used to being led by the nose I didn't realize there was an off-track place to look around. Ah well, no matter.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Burning Mustache posted:

Oh yeah, one more thing about ME2: Unless you want to use the Cain in specific missions, the best allround heavy weapon is probably the Prothean Particle Beam which you first get on Horizon, and you might wanna go with that by default (again, unless you want the Cain for a specific mission). Make sure to actually do use the heavy weapons too.
I find myself constantly with maxed ammo and forgetting that I'm even carrying one a lot of the time.

I've always felt the arc reactor was the best heavy weapon due to it's chaining and stunning abilities. It's also a pretty powerful damage dealer.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Duck and burger posted:

It's more that the weird motion capture (rewatching some TR, that was totally aces) and dead eyes that just took me out of the experience. The actual gameplay looked great. Just cutscenes and stuff, when it really mattered, were a jarring jaunt through uncanny valley, without any reference to other games.

I didn't gently caress around with any DLC weapon packs. Been using Black Widow, Mantis, Eviscerator, Geth Shotgun, M-12 Tempest, and Arc Pistol. What's wrong with Arc Pistol? Light, rapid, high damage.

I thought the graphics looked great in ME3 on average. It's shocking to hear people literally complaining about them (not you - I agree with the occasional 'dead-eyes' characterization, but that's animation not texture or modelling).

I don't know if any other weapon does this, but the arc-pistol is pretty powerfully gamebreaking if you use it exclusively in a specific fashion. You take a second to charge it up and shift-pause (or whatever) and then you just aim headshots while paused, and when you unpause it's a fully charged autoheadshot. :allears:

You can pretty much one or two shot anything (except the god drat banshees :argh:).

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Duck and burger posted:

Don't get me wrong; the graphics are good. Not great, though. ME2 with the texture packs was definitely superior. (High res Garrus... :allears:) And then there's the fact that Dr. Chakwas is the same build as femshep and everyone else, which I think someone mentioned not too long ago in here.

That arc pistol utilization is dirty as heck. Haha.

I remember looking at my Femshep when she was wearing that fancy cocktail dress (what a stupid dress) and thinking that her knees were really nicely textured. The model itself is weirdly hunched and bad for their millions of dollars budget, but no matter what anyone says I will always be impressed by Bioware's knee texture work.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Jerusalem posted:

What's this about ME2 texture packs? I shifted my old retail copy to Origin and am currently playing through it and think the game looks pretty great as it is, but there are optional hi-res texture packs I can get from somewhere? I didn't see anything on the DLC page.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/128/index/5314761/1

It's not officially sanctioned, they wouldn't have it as shop DLC or anything.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

forever gold posted:

By applying a few game mechanics I was completely glossing over -- equip less weapons for faster ability recharge times and use power combinations. Also I brought Edi. I was able to take out the Brute in almost an instant.

No matter anything else, EDI is one of the, if not the most, powerful teammate.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lt. Danger posted:

I think Cerberus works best if you ignore ME1 and 3 and just look at 2, where it's just a human shadow government/military. ME1 is just all over the map anyway: sending a squad of marines into a nest of giant monsters for research is really stupid writing.

Well duh, but it wasn't research they were sending out the marines for it was :airquote:Research:airquote: Muwahahahaha.
And that makes all the difference, so that's why the writing is okay. :colbert:

I prefer the take that Cerberus in ME1 is an alternate reality Mythbusters where it just so happens that living people are cheaper than pig carcasses...and they're just REALLY inquisitive.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Doctor Reynolds posted:

What? You don't need any DLC. Unless you're talking about multiplayer stuff, but that's free...

I would argue that if you've been involved in ME since 1, Citadel and the one with the Ocean were both really good additions.

The one where you fight back for Omega was not really relevant, and I don;t remember anything from it. Fallen Ashes was a dlc that SHOULD have been amazing, but it just ended up being meh.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

You absolutely need From Ashes. If you don't have it, you aren't playing ME3.

What does that even mean?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

It means that From Ashes contains the main non-Shephard character. Javik should have been part of the main game and it is BS that they charged for him, but it is what it is.

Javik as written doesn't make any difference. He's literally just a grumpy alien who's spouting off random poo poo about survival of the fittest, and I aside from the one time on the Asari planet, doesn't really add to the story beyond what's been already known or explained. Don't mistake the character or DLC as something that could have been, instead of what it is.

leviathan at least made up new stuff to explain, or added depth beyond fluff to what was already there.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 26, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fwoderwick posted:

:words:
Also did I miss/forget the bit where it's explained why they don't look like the statues in ME1 Ilos/ME2 Kasumi DLC?

The art was stylized? I don't really know.

And I'm not saying those couple dlc are worthless and should never be played. I'm simply speaking in context of having to pay for full price dlc.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lycus posted:

Wait, why would it be game breaking if the enemies are always scaled to your level?

I think because you have all of your skills or something at that point, right?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

RickVoid posted:

I am on the PC.

Figures. You'd think they'd have thought to put it in the controls section.

'E' and 'Q', to get in and exit, respectively.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

Vanguard was ruined for me by playing a femshep. Won't do that again. Maybe I'll try vanguard again, though.

I don't get this. Was it the voice acting - I don't even think there's gender + Class specific conversations? As far as I'm aware the gameplay itself doesn't change at all between genders.

I've only ever played as an Adept, since the first game. :smuggo:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

SubponticatePoster posted:

This should be an option no matter who you romanced.

That would be awesome. Romance Jack or Garrus, get in an argument and yell a bit then walk away in a huff; walk up to Jacob, slap him and walk away.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm eagerly looking forward to the next Mass Effect game which will undoubtedly include cat-people aliens.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VirtualStranger posted:

Um, that's loving gross? Thanks, but I'd rather not give the player the option to have Shepard become an accomplice in rape and sex slavery.

It wouldn't be *rape* rape. The women would just be in a very vulnerable emotional condition. I'm sure they'd all really come to appreciate you after a while.

You know, like Jack eventually did.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

"Rape" rape. As opposed to "RAPE!!" rape. Grape ape.

The Grapist.

And you guys are silly if you can't read the facetiousness of my previous statement. I was pointing out how it's been close enough done by Bioware already, in ME or especially in SWToR. Sillies.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:40 on May 1, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Milky Moor posted:

Holy... They got all the weird Talimancer references there: "No, that gets handled by my suit! Those are just my hips!" "Don't do that in my helmet, it just gunks up the filters!" :staredog:

I...I need to know what those two quotes relate to. Every time I stare into the abyss it blinks, and I am forced to lend my gaze deeper still down its inky depths.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

IcePhoenix posted:

I love how literally anything in the series can be handwaved away with mass effect fields.

Cancer? Nah, the Mass Effect fields sent it into remission.
Running late? Nah, Mass Effect fields'll bend some space-time for me so I get there early.
Oversalted my stew? Mass Effect'll suck out the extra.

The number one reality TV show on earth better be a group of chimpanzees (or toddlers) running around with portable mass effect field generators. It's truly the only thing worth watching.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ineffiable posted:

Still..... There's

Shepard.
Wrex.
Shepard.

:respek:
Shepard

Shepaaaaaaard

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

VirtualStranger posted:

But the Collectors were able to detect the Normandy in stealth mode during ME2, and the Collectors were created by the Reapers. :psyduck:

Mass Effects. :pseudo:
:iia:Reaper Tech.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 7, 2013

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ThCawdor posted:

Is any of the DLC worth picking up asides from the multiplayer stuff?

All of the story ones, sure. Citadel is fantastic, Leviathan has some neat stuff in it and is pretty crucial to the story, it makes sense to have From Ashes - even though he's not that interesting as a character. They tried to subvert your expectations but it was done poorly.

Omega's kinda unnecessary.

Play Citadel after you beat the game+other dlc proper. It's the ending to the game that's better than the ending to the game.

Plom Bar posted:

Depends on how much you like the game and the series overall. Assuming that you like both, then yes. And you should definitely get the Extended Cut

That said, Citadel > Leviathan > From Ashes > Omega

If you DON'T like the series however then Citadel is nothing more than 4 GB of the game jerking itself off.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say anyone who doesn't like the series shouldn't be considering buying ANY dlc. That's kind of a given.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Aug 6, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Plom Bar posted:

I never assume anything with regards to goons, liking things, and spending money.

You know, I suppose a great many of us are very capable of and oddly willing towards hate-participating in things.

Point to you, sir.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

If they had like actually forced at least 75% of your team to die in the suicide mission no matter what. And Tali gets PTSD, Garrus develops a serious drinking problem and Liara has survivors remorse because she wasn't there to help. Then they could totally do the ending they did for ME3 and it would fit tonally with the rest of the series. Just well... not thematically which is also a problem of the 'one right answer' part of Bioware's choice system.

Who cares if anyone dies in the suicide mission or not? Those three characters could easily have the those same traits anyway while everyone lived.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

rypakal posted:

I absolutely don't get people who think Leviathan did anything to further the plot of the series.

I don't think anybody says it furthers the plot, it simply fills in information.

It is an expo dump. But it's still pretty alright.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Has there ever been a consensus or official denial about the idea of indoctrination theory? When I convince myself all of the plot holes can be wrapped up by this, I can just choose destroy and enjoy the series, but accepting everything SpaceBieber says as absolute truth when their are clear examples of why he is wrong makes me all :smith: . Have they ever explained away the plot holes like how Anderson gets to the room first, or how choosing destroy gets you the extra cinematic?

I want to like the game so much, but the synthisis/control BDO solution is beyond the pale for me if it isn't the fevered dream of an indoctrinated Shepard.

Just accept that everything after you get beamed up is going to be the shittiest of stories and there's nothing to do about it except hope that the writers were very uncomfortable writing that last part.

Indoctrination theory doesn't make sense when you consider that anything that happens after you get beamed up is literally the shittiest of stories. By definition, Indoctrination Theory is also lovely, since that is when it would come into play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

itsjustdrew posted:

Yes, it does, do I need to restart my playthrough?

Why would you play Citadel BEFORE finishing the game?

:sotw:

(it's fine, you're just probably out of new dialog for now - not a bug)

• Locked thread