Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

kevdude posted:

So I take it this is a spoiler thread? :(

Emily Wong died over Twitter 45 min ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking

Shadowhand00 posted:

This I didn't realize. I will do that as soon as I get home from work tonight. I was wondering why I could constantly charge in the prelude but during the actual game, I was having trouble charging anywhere.

This is the case for all biotics and all classes. This is why I found it so frustrating yesterday when I was watching the IGN stream, and the guy was playing a vanguard with both an AR and a pistol. He's gimping himself by doing it, since the AR isn't that useful to vanguards.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

Lame. How so?

No pc gaming, but thanks for the suggestion.

Doesn't matter. You can create the save on your PC and transfer it using Gibbed's Save Editor.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Imapanda posted:

There really isn't a holster weapon option or am I blind? Like I'm seriously forced to wave my gun around in a noncombat setting with this terrible 50 field of view?

What the heck. :psyduck:

Yep. They took out the ability to holster your weapon.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Hey can anyone tell me in the least spoiler way possible how you earn bonus powers? I've gotten three in the past 14 hours of playing and aside from Fortification which came from the melee achievement in case you care I can't peg where I got the others from like Armor Piercing ammo?

You got piercing ammo from talking to Garrus, probably. That's how I got it. I also got Slam, and I don't think anything special triggered it. I had an email saying I should head to the medical bay and pick it up.

General Battuta posted:

Aren't they earned from your squadmates? I'm pretty sure Fortification came from Vega...

I'm pretty sure this is the case.

I'm pretty sure the bonus powers are unlocked by chatting with teammates.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

coyo7e posted:

I miss the film grain effect.

Also I was playing this last night with my cousin watching, and the first cutscene involving TIM had us both cracking up, he looks janky as gently caress walking around, and in one scene he raises his arm to take a puff from his cigarette and his shoulder and upper and lower arm just kind of folded away behind his back and then back.

He looked mysterious and powerful and intimidating in ME2, from what I've seen of this so far, Martin Sheen's voice sounds ridiculous coming out of that silly-looking stick figure.

I've had characters just straight up walk out of a shot during a conversation (while still talking). I feel like they tried to make the conversations TOO dynamic, and the tight shots mixed with random walking about makes for some strange conversations.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Jove posted:

gently caress.

I bought ME2 a few weeks ago to play through it again so I could have an importable save (I originally played through it on X360, but I own a PS3 now.)

Burned through the game, finished it yesterday. Picked up my ME3 preorder, fired it up late last night.

So much fun! Well, while it lasted. I got to be bit where you're fighting a cadre of Cannibals with Anderson when my PS3 unceremoniously just shut the gently caress off.

Reboot? No, no. Green light, yellow light, blinking red light. gently caress my life.

So, Imma go back to GameStop today and pick it for PC. Any good save game editors so I can revive Tiberius Shepard from the cold, dark grave of my PS3's hard drive? Any and all help greatly appreciated.

AFAIK, the save editor only works with the PC and Xbox versions of ME2.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Oh, I guess I deduced wrong since I got it like simultaneously with the achievement, oh well. That's interesting though because I only talked to those guys one time and apparently got two powers and I've talked to EDI several times, does she not give a power? I'm guessing Slam came from the DLC guy..

Yeah, I'm not sure. I have Fortification, Slam and Armor Piercing ammo, so we'll see what happens as I get more squadmates.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Yeah, ok I've chatted with Liara a few times but this time it actually had one of those "walk around the room while I talk semi-cutscenes". Afterwards I check the medbay and bam, bonus power. Thanks for the tip.

Glad to hear. I haven't gotten one from Liara yet. I'll have to do that today.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

ImpulseDrive posted:

I haven't even started playing the game, yet, but this face import thing is kind of bothersome. I was planning on possibly playing a new character through 1 and 2 before getting to 3 so I can relearn what I forgot and catch up on the DLC I didn't play for the second game. Hopefully by then a patch for the 360 will be available. Or barring that, some kind of save edit trick I can pull off. Kind of awkward, but I can't imagine Mark Meer's voice coming out of any other face than the one I created in the first game. Then to top it off, I gave him TIM eyes with the editor for the second game. Not certain that'll translate all the well with a face import.

If it makes you feel better, I imported my character from ME1/ME2, and remade my face by hand, and it was super easy to recreate. ME3 doesn't have a ton in the way of face options, so there are only so many variables.

It took me about 15 min to get the same face I had in the other two games. Start the game and give it a try. You'll be surprised.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Meeting David Archer again at Grissom Academy is so :unsmith:

That was really awesome. Recruiting him for the war cause was great, too.

Don't worry David, Cerberus will never get a hold of you again. :unsmith:

thetrin
May 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Has anybody else had the problem/bug of the Spectre terminal on the Citadel just flat-out not offering you anything? Like, I know I have the thing on Benning and the Heating Unit Stabilizers quest that both need to be solved from the Spectre terminal, but I'm not getting any updated information from them. I've also done a priority mission in between and they haven't reset. Kind of annoying. :(

Yeah, my Spectre Terminal hasn't updated in a while either.

In general, I find side quests badly constructed. The worst is the journal. The journal hardly ever updates when you get farther in a quest. It's a real pain if I take a break, and then forget what I'm supposed to do next in the quest, because my journal won't tell me poo poo except the initial quest setup.

Also, if I find an item for a quest, the quest doesn't update saying I have it. So, if I'm not paying attention to the bottom right corner, and don't know what I picked up, I have no idea I can finish the quest.

thetrin fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 8, 2012

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Shadowhand00 posted:

What happens if I told both of my LIs that I was still into them? Bad stuff?

No, obviously everything will work out in the end and you shouldn't worry about it in the least. :v:

thetrin
May 4, 2009

For those who have finished the game:

Do I just need to get my EMS to the MINIMUM line on the bar in order to get the best ending? Because even at 55%, my EMS is almost at that line.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Fenrir posted:

Your EMS needs to be just about double the whole bar. The bar turns full green at around 2500-2700 (I finished the game at about 3k but it was full green before that), you need 5k to get the best ending.

Wait, it need to be double the full whole bar? What does that mean? There are two bars?

kater posted:

How do I stop this game from having ridiculously low volume levels?

I wear headphones. Otherwise, yeah, you can't hear poo poo.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Fenrir posted:

No, it's just the requirement for the best ending is astronomically high. Multiplayer is required.

That is really stupid. God dammit. Does the game give any indication when you're near the end of the game? I would like to go play some multiplayer right before I reach the end so I can increase my readiness.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

turn up the volume

fake edit: Are you using one of those multi-system video cables? If you are, and you have it plugged into two or more consoles at once, poo poo is barely audible. They're meant to be hooked up to one console at a time.

I think he's playing on PC. The PC version has awful sound levels, even at max.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Fenrir posted:

Yes. It warns you, although it isn't as big of a blatant "Hey guys this is The Point of No Return" as the Omega-4 Relay was.

The whole concept of using multiplayer to affect the ending is astronomically stupid. They can't possibly not know that the majority of people who play video games play through the single player and THEN play the multiplayer.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

white house negro posted:

Can we stop spreading this misinformation unless someone proves this to be incorrect?

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mas...-9665384-1.html

So then if that's the case, what is the minimum line on the bar? There doesn't seem to be any other visual representation for how much EMS you need for the best ending.

I'd just like to know what I should shoot for.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

kater posted:

The dialogue box in More Info or w/e flat out says how good of an ending you will get.

Hmm, I don't think I know what dialogue box you're talking about.

I assume you're talking about a dialogue box in the war room display that I've somehow missed.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

kater posted:

Yea, top level of War Assets screen, there's an option that will overview your chances.

I'll have to check that out when I play tonight. Thanks.

Rei_ posted:

My big problem right now is never having any loving ammo. I constantly feel like I'm out of bullets despite landing the majority of my shots, once I upgrade my shotgun a bit I'm sure I can biotic charge more safely, but right now I feel like I'm spending most of my fights whittling down people with Pull by the end.

I don't even carry a shotgun. Do you have the Scorpion pistol? It shoots tiny singularities at enemies. That plus biotic charge is devastating. Despite the small magazine on the Scorpion, one or two shots will literally cause most infantry to explode.

At first I thought the Scorpion kind of sucked, because I wasn't entirely sure if it was hurting my enemies, but it basically shoots tiny, timed singularities at enemies, which stick to them, and then explode after 2-3 seconds. The damage they do is a little ridiculous.

thetrin fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 8, 2012

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Nephilm posted:

Between 2800 and 4000 depending on what your definition of "best" ending is. You need 2800 for the helios ending and 4000 for a 5 second after-credits cutscene on the tracer tong ending.

I'm pickin' up what you're throwing down. I won't bother with 4000 EMS if it's just a 5 seconds supplementary cutscene. I'll still get as many war assets as I can, but I won't bother playing multiplayer just to up my readiness. I do like playing it though, so maybe I'll just play with my roommate in the evenings after a couple hours of SP.

floor is lava posted:

I'm running around with a full team using the laser rifles. We absolutely destroy anything. It don't take any time at all to take down a mech. We look like a bunch of ghost buster shooting beams and poo poo.

Imo, the Scorpion and the particle rifle are the two most awesome weapons in the game. The particle rifle is like some crazy beam weapon, and the Scorpion is like a tiny sticky grenade launcher.

I really hope I get a Scorpion in multiplayer...

thetrin fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 8, 2012

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I was actually hoping for more of the party members to be returning members, rather than new ones. How many total party members are there (including DLC)?

thetrin
May 4, 2009

tadashi posted:

Thanks so much for this. I really didn't mind space mining in ME2 compared to running around the galaxy randomly guessing where to find things in ME3.

The worst quests are the ones marked Citadel in the journal. I have no loving clue where I'm supposed to look most of the time. I've managed to finish them all so far, because I'm totally OCD, but it's still kinda silly.

Though, I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, but the ones listed as Citadel are always found in missions. The ones where you have to scan are the ones where the system is listed.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Stroth posted:

It's an ultra-rare drop, so start praying.

I would think so. The drat thing shoots biotic grenades.

Crum Bong Shuffle posted:

So last night after finishing the Palaven mission, I did the Pillars of Strength sidequest and it said I got the Batarian Fleet as a war asset but when I go to the war room it's not listed among my assets. Is there something else I need to do to actually unlock it?

I hate to ask a stupid question, but did you expand the Alien heading to see if it was listed under there?

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Marx posted:

I completely agree, the character adds literally nothing to the game. I hate to be one of 'those guys' but it's totally just pandering to the nerdiest portion of their base.

Hell, the Salarian that tells you to stop playing with the thing (spoiler:feces analyzer) on Sur'Kesh is a stronger, more eloquent and altogether better presented character than both Allers and Traynor combined.

That's because his dialogue is awesome, and I kept pressing it just to see how much he had to say about me pressing it without permission.

Davincie posted:

I've been trying to keep myself spoiler free, so I probably missed this if it was talked about : Are there some critical you gotta do poo poo before this point missions like the Collector Ship in ME2?

Afaik, all of the side quests on a given priority mission planet must be done before the main planet mission.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

i looked it up and no you don't. There is more than enough poo poo in SP to get the BEST ending and it has nothing to do with War Readiness. You just have to get above a certain level of military strength. Playing MP fills in the gaps for whatever little quests or poo poo you missed. If you didn't import a save from me1 and me2, you have to play MP to get the best ending because you won't get enough military might.

Well, if that's the case, I'm very happy I imported my save from ME1/2.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

ymgve posted:

Actually I find the Geth harder. loving rocket soldiers.

(I also suck at playing, but let's not discuss that.)

Geth are definitely the easiest. Cerberus has Phantoms that can seriously gently caress a team up.

But I don't know. I finished Silver when I played the demo. It's not THAT hard. You just need teammates that aren't total idiots.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Fag Boy Jim posted:

By the way, I am VERY disappointed in the lack of an achievement for never romancing any character in all three games :colbert:

Never finding space love is its own reward.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Davincie posted:

Okay this is gonna make me sound like a moron but, I just got off Earth and this elevator broke down, you have to climb up somehow. How? I found this pile of boxes but I only get 2 jumps up and then my guy gets stuck and refuses to move. What am I doing wrong? :saddowns:

You should be able to climb up the boxes and then turn right and jump across. You have to raise the platform in order to do so.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Chexmix posted:

Is there any way to save Lieutenant Victus? :ohdear:

I don't think so. But hey, at least he isn't Garrus, right?

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Category Fun! posted:

Did Udina's accent change? I could've sworn he was German but now he sounds Irish.

He always sounded kind of Indian/kind of South African to me.

His accent was bizarre.

Wingless posted:

Basically things that evolve in similar circumstances tend to evolve to be similar in form, I wouldn't be surprised if we met aliens that had a pair of forward facing eyes. You need at least one to see, two for 3D vision, but a third would be a waste of biological resources.

Yes, but Javik suggests 4 eyes would make you a better sniper!

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Darko posted:

I'm surprised at how many people took Mass Effect's plot "seriously" in the first place. Seeing people saying they cried at points is completely baffling to me.

Unless you play complete Paragon, which is boring as poo poo, the entire series is basically Space - Archer The Game, with some elements from other sci-fi series thrown in. The whole point to the plot, for me, is creating situations that make me laugh the hardest, with a little bit of drama thrown in from time to time.

I will say that, being halfway or so through ME3, it seems to falter a bit at how over the top a lot of stuff you could do in the KOTOR games and ME1 and 2 were. I did a lot of random killing of people in quests in ME2, for instance, tossing people out of windows and such, and 3 isn't giving me an option to be as big of a jerk as I'd like. Now, Paragon and Renegade choices lead to the same immediate outcome, and there isn't nearly as much silly stuff to do that makes me laugh.

Well, I got a bit misty at a couple points, but it has nothing to do with the story. There's something to be said for having seen these characters in previous games, and gotten them through some poo poo that could have gotten them killed. It's like a nice little video game reunion, and then everyone at the reunion DIES.

What can I say? I'm a big ol' softy.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Darko posted:

If it's character attachment just from them being around for so long and playing as them, it makes sense then.

For me, it's 100% character attachment. Grunt's big battle cutscene had me on edge. Not because Grunt has had the most amazing characterization, but because I got him through Mass Effect 2, and I wasn't about to watch him die after all that.

To be honest, that's most of the appeal of ME3 to me. Things I did and people I know from ME1 and 2 are coming back, and even if it really doesn't affect the game greatly, I liked seeing decisions I made in ME1 come back to either haunt me, or help me.

I can't speak for anyone else, but character attachment and finishing the story is my main reason for playing ME3, and so far I haven't been disappointed.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Byers2142 posted:

Charge <--> Nova

Do you really need more of a chart? Hell, I think I took maybe fifty pistol shots the whole game, when it wouldn't let me loving charge.

I'd love to hear reactions from my companions on my suicidal tendencies. "Brutes! Don't let them get too..." *CHARGE* "... for gently caress's sake, Shepard."

Charging into brutes is pretty much the most badass thing imaginable.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Crows Turn Off posted:

Anyone buy Mass Effect: Infiltrator for the iOS? I had left-over points on my iTunes account, so I gave it a whirl. It's actually pretty decent and the controls work better than I thought they would. It seems to have high production values (like actual spoken dialogue). It's a few hours long, which might be steep for the price.

However, the cool thing is that you collect Intel throughout the game. You can upload this Intel to Galaxy at War, which ups your Readiness percentage (similar to multiplayer). It's great for days like today when I won't be home to play Mass Effect 3, so I don't have to worry about my Readiness dropping that whole percentage point! :v: And once you beat it, you can upload the character into Galaxy at War as a war asset (I think he's worth 40 points, I don't remember exactly).

I'm playing New Game+ right now, and I wonder if I can upload the character again.

I downloaded it but I haven't played much. How long is the whole thing?

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Darko posted:

You're thinking of the next big fight after that. The fight everyone is talking about is the forced big room fight right before that one.

Hmm, I had no trouble with that fight, but I play a vanguard, so I spent most of that fight in a blurry blue haze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetrin
May 4, 2009

Spikeguy posted:

I liked Leng's fights. Felt different. And come on, when has there ever been a great boss fight where they were anywhere as good as when they are in a cutscene?

New Topic: What did you think about the soundtrack compared to the first two games. I really liked it, more than the others even (and the suicide mission was my jam for a long time).

I thought the Kai Leng fights were a lot of fun, especially the one on Thessia.

I beat the game last night with an EMS of 4100, and did each of the endings.

WHAT THE gently caress. What awful endings.

What the.... GOD DAMMIT.

:(

• Locked thread