Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

gyrobot posted:

They removed the neutral options mostly now since almost no one picks them except for their "MASS CASUALTIES" Run.

I loved the neutral option in ME1 because it just had you acting like the most by-the-books person you could think of who had no opinions on anything. It actually sort of worked and made the ending feel more like an after-action report than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cheap Vodka posted:

Tali is literally a girl from a stock photo. No, I'm not making this poo poo up. :staredog:

Don't click this if you don't want the reveal kinda-spoiled.

Was just coming over to post this. I love it to bits, honestly. Photoshopping a public image that will look really out of place is almost the least amount of effort put into it that I can think of, and I applaud that decision.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

FairGame posted:

So...carrying 1 weapon (a shotgun) is precisely the wrong thing against them. Great.

Not if you're heavily into using powers. And you have something that works against shields/armor.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Yeah, Harbinger doesn't show up at all. He was the very first Reaper and he gets no screen time at all! It was disappointing, but the two main antagonists in ME3 are pretty good so it makes up for that.

Let me guess, this is going to be what the DLC is going to be about.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Holy jesus. For a scene most people probably aren't going to ever do, that was some amazing acting. The little details are incredible.

Especially how Shepard throws his gun away in anger. Outstanding work. Game of the Year.

Wasn't there a scene where you convince him to not go fix that by proving that the Krogans don't deserve being saved?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Category Fun! posted:

Jesus christ. I only just started playing but this dialogue is bad. Did someone at Bioware read the wikipedia page on Soviet Montage? Because it feels like the only reason things are happening or that people are saying what they say is to try and get an emotional response. I thought the demo was supposed to be missing scenes from the opening?

The textures were also supposed to be a lot better and there would be additions across the board. Nope! Not to mention the PS3 version's supposed lag was not fixed for release either, or so says Eurogamer.

Edit: Ahahah, I'm not sure if this was due to skipping a part of the conversation or what, but suddenly me and Liara are having a conversation by bouncing our words at a nearby wall, because why else would we be turning our heads and staring at it so hard?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Damnit, I passed every old check on Konrad's work except the Elkoss Combine thing, I was sure I had that but I guess I didn't .

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dorkopotamis posted:

The gamespot review said that you're inhuman if at least one of the in game events doesn't "hit you" emotionally.

I'd like to talk about that momentarily.

I think Mordin sacrificing himself made me frown a little bit, but I wasn't so invested in him by that point. Legion sacrificing himself made me say "I wish that hadn't of happened. I liked that character."

I was thinking to myself for most of the game Captain Anderson is gonna get killed and that's gonne suck when that happens but then it happened and I was strangely unaffected by it. I think it's the way it was executed.

The only real emotion to be invoked from me is annoyance over sword bandit's theft of the VI that knows what the catalyst is. What a jerk.

Were there any more powerful moments that I may have missed?

Well, I'm certainly hit with laughter at some of the animations in cutscenes. Not that it is generally bad but there are moments when things just go crazy or you wonder how that person is making that face and why.

But you're right, I had a hard time investing myself in this world emotionally so far.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

bear is driving! posted:

Game is fantastic so far! I just finished Everything on Tuchunka. Poor Mordin, I'll miss him so.

Seashells :(

Have to admit I didn't care as much as I should when that scene struck. Mainly because his voice was all wrong and I couldn't enjoy the speech by this fake-Mordin as I would the "real" one.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, I finally found a scene in the game where I actually got emotionally involved. No, it wasn't the Legion death bits because he felt oddly out of character even near the end. However, it was slightly earlier when Tali lands on Rannoch and gets handed that rock. Silly I know, but I did smile a bit at that. Probably at least partially to do with the callback music and how well the scene was posed. I didn't however care one bit when Thessia was hit because at that point you've already seen about , by my calculation, 5000 worlds or something as destroyed warzones.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I just remembered something I felt was out of place. I'm hoping I'm not making assumptions when I say that there's something very odd about the scene where you kill a Reaper with a bombardment of airstrikes .

It has to do with a certain memorable scene from ME2, Isaac Newton, and the scale mentioned in that scene.

Which is why at that point Shep should be flat as a pancake or scattered across the planet. Especially considering a few of the shots hit the ground instead of the main target, not that it would matter much.

Sure, the scene is just there to look cool, but it's still fun to consider.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Ok that endgame level with the cannon in London just nearly gave me seizures. Maybe it is because I am already worn out and sick but who thought it was a good idea to have a giant pulsing white light flash repeatedly while trying to aim on shaky ground was a good idea? Had to stop playing five minutes in because my eyes were going blurry.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Is that last dialogue option with TIM supposed to be greyed out no matter what? Fairly sure I always used paragon options or persuades on him in ME2 and 3, did I miss something? :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Considering I'd been prepared for it I honestly didn't mind the endings much. It was a breath of fresh air for Bioware games actually in some respects. What I did mind was the lack of any real difference besides the whole color-coded relays business. Doesn't feel like the end choice made much of an impact!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Malrauxs Place posted:

I think it was mentioned earlier that she shows up as a banshee during the mission in the ardat-yakshi monastery.

Why? Why would she be anywhere near that place? Trying to free the others?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pladdicus posted:

This, basically, but Shep facing down Harbinger and getting lasered is just loving great no matter how you spin it. The whole hell walk to the beam was the highpoint for me.

That walking section requires a lot of pinpoint firing , at least on Insanity, and it works in making the scene very intense and taxing on you. Loved it, but I didn't love the very similar section afterwards. Way too long, but very cinematic I agree.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If I'm ever going to do a newgame+ I hope there will be a savegame editor out for ME3 saves. Hated losing out on Conrads complete work all because I was missing that drat license and there's no way I'm making a character from scratch in ME1 just for completion's sake.

And I'll try and figure out why I failed at the final persuade check :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I was surprised that my squad (Liara and Kaidan) were actually able to hold down a Banshee while I solo'd another one during the monastery mission, they're a lot tougher than in ME2. I don't recall ever seeing a single instant kill attack performed on anybody during my entire single player run though, and I was playing as a vanguard so I think I was extremely lucky that a Banshee never grabbed me.

I couldn't get over how easy the game felt in comparison to earlier titles, especially considering how durable squadmates are. I don't think I ever used any medigel (wanted to save some of that sweet exp), and only rarely suffered from it. I kept thinking "Well, that was easy, I wonder how hard this will be on Insanity). And then I realized I was actually already playing on Insanity. Sure, I died a few times (mostly in the last few fights, partially since I brought awful squadmates), but overall I never really felt overwhelmed like I did for a few missions in ME2 and bits of ME1.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

TyroneGoldstein posted:

I played as an infiltrator and I just could not handle those things properly. I tried warp ammo as my extra tack on power and juiced it up, but still no go..I had to hammer the drat thing forever and hope that Javik could tank it long enough for me to empty enough shots into it.

I had an easy enough time kiting them and getting her hung up on geometry, they're just so resilient that the time they stay up becomes a problem, especially during the final push.

Any tips on this?

I'd ask you first and foremost what weapon you are using, if you've upgraded it any and who else but Javik you bring along to these fights. You need helpers who can break both barriers and armor preferably. Keep running away because these are some of the most resilient enemies in the game and you probably won't be able to take them down easy no matter what you go with.

FCS, 5000 if I recall is the limit for the "best" ending, and unless you've screwed up real bad you shouldn't lose assets to any greater degree, at least not to the tune of 500 points. But as this is an RPG, you can never stop doing fetch quests. At least if you're as crazy as the rest of us.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

dissin department posted:

Am I the only one that almost prefers the combat in ME2? On the one hand, zipping everywhere without giving a gently caress as a vanguard is great. On the other, I feel like ME2's combat with it's slower pace (dictated by the much slower cooldowns and lack of a weight system, which in turn leads to greater versatility with weapons for the biotic classes) had something going for it. On my insanity adept run, I had to be calculating in each battle. This enemy has shields, I'd better have Garrus overload them. This enemy is armored, I'll warp him. Time was spent in the powers menu surveying my situation. Now these are still viable options, yes, but why do any of that? With the lower cooldowns, the adept can now self detonate very quickly and efficiently. Almost every encounter is handled the same way.
At the same time, the vanguard has changed a lot. In ME2, the charge had to be used very strategically, or you'd die pretty quickly due to the lack of nova and the higher cooldowns. Like I said before, I like the new vanguard, but most everything can- and should- be charged without much thought (besides banshees, really).

Well, ME2's combat in general felt more challenging, especially once I'd finished ME3 on insanity and couldn't remember more than two really difficult (instead of just tedious) areas in it and they were all endgame stuff.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

pacman posted:

In Mass Effect 4, Sheperd is going to wake up on the original Normandy. No one is going to know anything about Reapers. You make your way to the front of the ship and walk into Kaiden and Joker wondering aloud why a Turian Spectre would be on a shakedown run for an Alliance ship.

When you go to Eden Prime, you save Jenkins' life due to your mysterious foresight.

I honestly wouldn't mind something like an alternate universe where all of ME2 and ME3 never happened, just rewriting everything that came after 1 to introduce new threats and chances to explore more of the universe from an ME1 mindset. And obviously, they'd bring back the Mako. And maybe rides on elevators.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

2house2fly posted:

She ruled Omega with an iron fist... but the people were free.

That was the line that made me decide that I didn't care enough to buy that dlc.

Actually, I never bought a single bit of DLC for this, whereas I bought all of it for the last game. Even the pointless costume changes. Aria being an awful character didn't help.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yanick Roy: "…with new characters to fall in love with…"

I know that's probably supposed to indicate they're going to be proper characters with depth or who are fun to interact with but it just reads in a way that makes you very, very sad. Or :shepface:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Geostomp posted:

The first time, there was always something about all the missions that seemed off to me, but I accepted it barring for a few bigger issues like the Cerberus' absurd power-increase or everyone completely forgetting about the Citadel's powers. It wasn't until the infamous ending that I was soured on just about everything in the game. You can accept a lot if you think it's building up to something better. Having it all build up to the Starchild and his RGB space magic shatters all those illusions.

This illustrates why I enjoy Mass Effect 1, but only slightly enjoy Mass Effect 2 and absolutely loathe 3. 1 had terrible design decisions almost everywhere but with how the ending turned out and those final sequences, my playing experience was molded by that final couple of scenes and put everything in a different context, making future playthroughs more enjoyable. 2 had the idiotic terminator baby and Cerberus in general, but because the gameplay was somewhat solid and actually trying to keep your crew alive was intense and I was sort of invested in some of the crew I could look past all that and somewhat enjoy the game, even if the story bugged me. But it also made me put higher expectations towards 3 to present a better, more coherent story up until the script was leaked and I realized the writing team had no idea how to resolve the game's plot in the time they'd been given. By the time 3 actually came out my expectations were extremely low, and I was hoping the leak would make them change something at least to make the final product interesting again.

But it wasn't. 3 was boring through and through, barring the one or two scenes that actually worked. The goodwill built up by 1 was strained in 2 and 3 had nothing left to build on and hence collapsed under the weight of a schedule they couldn't keep, a more complete switch in main writers and expectations to cram in stuff from the first two games in a way that was meaningful. Which also failed more or less.

I hope that whatever comes next in the Mass Effect universe is better, or decides to go a new route not tied directly into the main story or even makes a whole new universe to explore with similar themes. They can figure out what works and what doesn't for a good story with the time they've got, right?

Edit: ^^^^ Just to be that guy, I never pre-ordered 3, got it for quite a bit of money off at a later date because I was skeptical (but really enjoyed the MP), and unless I'm seeing a great improvement via reviews or the impressions people show here and elsewhere, I am not buying 4 at all.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 15, 2014

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Fag Boy Jim posted:

I get angry about how dogshit ME1 was daily.

I mostly solved my anger issues with the game by pulling up Bioware's twitter account and shouting "I will destroy you!" at my screen while biotic god-spittle sprayed from my mouth.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Axe-man posted:

The one true ending of course: Destroy. :smugdog:

My favorite ending is the green ending because that's my favorite colour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dapper Dan posted:

That's tough. What I want to see and what's feasible are two different things. I think a sort of 'Lost in Space'/'Quantum Leap' story would work the best. You're the captain of a ship shortly after the Reaper War and repairing a Mass Relay. Suddenly, it goes haywire and flings you and your crew off to an unknown universe. You and your crew would get to explore and at the end of the day discover another relay to travel to. The next few games would you be jumping from universe to universe, righting-wrongs and right hooking Space-Assholes in the face.

This has the benefit of ignoring all the poo poo from the end of the third game. And at the end of the game (or games) when you finally get to go home, so much time has passed that the universe is unrecognizable from when you left.

Optional: At the end of the game(s), it is revealed that the mass relays are possessed by a Space Reaper AI Ghost who wants to atone for all his wrongs and killing by sending you to help a galaxy in need. However, that was only the first galaxy. You could always return home after your mission, but the collective will and selflessness of your crew kept leading you to help galaxy after galaxy, alien after alien. You choose to keep going, you and your crew never returning home, but making the universe a better place :unsmith:

Might be easier if that transportation thing came about before the end of the war, what with the issues of incorporating the endings from the last game. Then again, a Control ending crew would probably be one of the few things that could impress a whole new galaxy with your arrival in their space.

Edit: Meant Synthesis. Then again, all of them would impress them for different reasons.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Aug 11, 2014

• Locked thread