Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
The downside to playing a game on/just before release is that should I be stuck on a quest, I can't look up any directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
must go to sleep so I can get up at 6 and play another 12 or 15 hours of Mass Effect 3...

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

drat it how long do I have to wait to get Ash back from the Citadel?! I want her to be with me on Eden Prime.

Thane :(

Oh hello chick from the books, so that's what you look like.

Yup, she's fairly pretty. Also, Samantha Traynor looks uncannily like all of my femsheps.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

hypocrite lecteur posted:

It isn't an exaggeration in the slightest. I've played this game for like 2 hours and there have already been multiple instances of "defend this open area where enemies will literally drop out of the sky to attack you". It's really lovely design.

Nope. They're dropped off by shuttles, sometimes directly, and sometimes into a room above you that you can't access, and that's on open maps; on the closed maps, they simply get sent out from the areas you haven't yet reached, or, again, from shuttles. Enemies don't ever come from nowhere, not like Dragon Age 2.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I think it's at the far end of the refugee area by where Garrus hangs out.

I can't find anything that I can interact with near him, except the Shepard VI.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Schurik posted:

Well gently caress *upturns table*

No, I'm pretty sure I did it in that order too. I don't think anything but Priority missions change what sidequests are available.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
So, about fifteen hours in, just returned to a besieged Citadel. There's a new gun, the Talon, in a room with a door I can't open, near the beginning. How do I get it?

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

TheGreatDave posted:

Buggy quests ahoy in this.

Citadel Quest Spoilers:
Also having problems with the Kasummi Hanar quest. Also having problems with Aria's Eclipse quest. I said I wanted to find a different way to release the lunatic from prison but the quest dind't update. Anyone got any idea how to fix these?
Can't help you with the first, but as for the second, go to the D-24 non-Normandy area, there's a salarian named Sayn next to Garrus. He's Jona Sederis' second in command.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

CaptainCarrot posted:

So, about fifteen hours in, just returned to a besieged Citadel. There's a new gun, the Talon, in a room with a door I can't open, near the beginning. How do I get it?

I found it. Across the hall, there's a terminal for Door Control.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
How come the Silean Nebula only has one system? Are the rest unlocked by plot?

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Nephilm posted:

It was lackluster. You cannot change the outcome no matter what you do, regardless of how good you might be doing (the game is so easy), because obviously it's Bioware's story and gently caress giving options to the player.
Not sure about the 'easy' part, but it was definitely frustrating when my charges and shotgun blasts did nothing, and when I caught up to her on the ladder Shepard actually stopped to let her get the lead again. That was poorly done.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
god damned loving reaper kills me every loving time

mid-ish game spoilers: how many times do I have to hit it with the orbital strike to kill it, and why does it get to kill me if the beam is within ten feet?

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Alectai posted:

Needs about four shots, and he gets closer each time, the last one is basically a "Gird Your Loins" moment, as it's charging at point blank range, you just need to stay still and paint the fucker, and you'll trigger a bombardment just before he fires.

The trick is to dodge diagonally towards the Reaper, once the laser's past you, it won't turn back to chase you

Hmm, after looking at the IGN video, it's not actually that hard.
Start on the far right (or left, doesn't matter). When the beam starts getting close to you, move left, rolling if you have to. When the beam's above you, move back to the right as much as practicable to make sure you've got plenty of space, if necessary. Don't be reluctant to roll no matter how close the shot is to finished if the beam is almost on you: a few more seconds targeting is a lot faster than doing the whole thing again. Oh, and you'll want to roll on the last one. Don't know if you need to, but better safe than sorry.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
God, turrets are so much less annoying in single player. A shotgun blast and a charge just about does it by level 40 or so.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Kai Leng is such bullshit, and the writers are all in love with him and gave him copious cutscene magic.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Is the mission that says "committing themselves to the attack" a one-way trip to the end of the game, or will I still have room to boost my Galactic Readiness to max in multiplayer afterwards?

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

JaundiceDave posted:

can someone answer this

Hades Nexus and Silean Nebula don't unlock until about two Priority missions after you get sidequests for stuff in them.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Lawlicaust posted:

It's possible to heal all you old scars if you want. You get some medical supplies as part of a side mission an you can spend them on that.

Also I just loaded my maximum fuckups Shepard and the memorial wall on the Normandy is so long....
Late-ish spoiler: I was really disappointed when I got an email after the quarian-geth alliance about a squad of quarian marines doing tech support and all of them dying, including Kal'Reegar, and he wasn't on the memorial wall. He was awesome! He deserves it!

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Speaking of this, I was surprised that they included the names of the red shirts that died in the Collector attack on there but not Navigator Pressly.

No, he's on there, near the top.

Can anyone find Tank's post with the necessary Galaxy at War scores for the various endings, or will 5462 (with readiness of 79% or so factored in) be enough for all of them?

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Fhqwhgads posted:

This really upsets me. As someone who never really does multiplayer anything, I figured I'd buy the game on the 360 because I have the ME1 and 2 saves for it, burn a few Amazon gift cards, and now I have to pay even more and am going to be time-limited into beating the game to get the 'good' ending. Had I known that, I would have just bought the PS3 version and downloaded savegames.

If you're a completionist, you don't need multiplayer.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Lawlicaust posted:

Side quest spoilers (Samara): In 2 Didn't Samara say the only Ardat-Yakshi were extremely rare and the only ones in existence were her three kids? But now there is a monastery full of them?

Yeah, she did. I don't know what's going on there, but frankly this way makes more sense.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
I hate banshees so very very much, with their teleporting and instant-kill attack.

I doubt it would even help to turn the difficulty down.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
The Mass Effect 2 N7 missions that provide War Assets in 3 are the abandoned mine that husked the miners, the Javelin missiles, and the Firewalker prothean artifact, right?

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
The whole "NG+ gives you an ending that makes more sense" is a rumor with no known supporting evidence, correct?

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Nephilm posted:

Well, that's good for the game to make you feel that way I guess, but ME3 rapidly approaches a point where it barely qualifies as an RPG, at least in the western traditional sense, and it also makes me question what RPGs you have played in your life for that context.
How is it barely an RPG? You customize your weapons, skills, and choose various things in the story.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

seal it with a kiss posted:

Elcor question/problem How do I accomplish the mission to the Elcor homeworld for the Elcor ambassador? I scan the planet and nothing happens. I had already been there before to pick up the artifact.

Then you're done. Just talk to him again.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Fenrir posted:

...welp. (Ending) Really? How in the bloody hell did that get past the cutting room floor? You couldn't put an ending that horrible in a 3rd grade play and get away with it, and this was a multimillion dollar production. I mean... Really? What the hell were you thinking, Bioware? :ughh: And right up to the point Shepard got hit by the laser this was one of the best games I'd ever played.

You know what? gently caress that. Here's a fun thought exercise that will be much more satisfying. Make up your own ending and forget whatever that bizarre bullshit was. My Shep is drinking wine with Liara at a beach somewhere and yelling at a little blue kid not to wander off too far. :colbert:

Granted, that's not the best example of said thought exercise but that one sentence I thought up in about 10 seconds is better than the real ending. Jesus Christ.

You know what, I'm gonna have fun with this. Same thing up to the kid, but destroying the synthetics amounts to rendering all Reaper tech inert rather than explosive. Shepard can no longer Charge and such, the mass relays are (temporarily) nonfunctional, the Citadel shuts down, and the geth go back to brains in numbers. Joker manages to pilot the Normandy safely to Earth, and rescues Anderson and Shepard from the Citadel; Shepard and crew attend his funeral, and there's a little epilogue for every race and character: geth and quarians rebuilding Rannoch, Eve holding Wrex's balls in a vise to make sure the krogan don't screw up their second chance, etc. Last scene of Shepard and all the living squadmates having drinks, and Shepard leaving either alone or with LI.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

white house negro posted:

Can we stop spreading this misinformation unless someone proves this to be incorrect?

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mas...-9665384-1.html
This is a lie. Plain and simple. You cannot get the best ending without 5000 warscore, and you can't do that without multiplayer.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Dreggon posted:

Wait, you mean that this isn't a possible ending? I can't imagine why they wouldn't put something like this in.

As far as I can tell, basically every ending goes like this:
"Alright, we defeated the Reapers!"
"Yeah!"
"Nice job!"
"Great work, Shepard!"

"..."
"..."
"..."
"...Anyone want a drink?"
Vega: "To the Reapers!" [stunned pause] "May they burn in hell!"
Liara: "To the ones we lost along the way."
[specific eulogies]
EDI: "To Shepard, without whom none of us would be here now."

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Lawlicaust posted:

You can get it with 4k though which is doable without MP (though you have to perfectly make every decision in 1,2, and 3). You have to use MP if you mess up some decisions.
Again, no. You can have 7k assets max, which get cut to 3500 if you don't do multiplayer.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

The Year 20XX posted:

Quarian/geth question: I just blew up the Reaper on Rannoch, and now I have to choose between the quarians and the geth. There isn't any sort of "peace" option. Did I not do enough to work towards peace, and now I have to choose one or the other?

If you're talking about the first choice, no. First you have to pick the geth or the quarians, telling Legion to keep uploading the data or stop. Then, if you have the reputation and paragon points, you can get both the quarian and geth fleets. You also need the choices from 2 and 3 that Tank mentioned previously, like having Legion and Tali both loyal and saving Admiral Koris.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

jcp982 posted:

I don't get the design logic in this game that says let's break up the action with a lot of slow walking. It happens like 5 times in the game. Why??

Also, the turret section between talking to people before beginning the assault on Earth. It breaks the flow tremendously, and it's not even interesting.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
Can you take Ashley to Eden Prime? If so, does she have special dialog?

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

LazyDivey posted:

So this NG+ happy unicorn and rainbows ending rumor is bogus right?

IGN claims otherwise. Beats me. On the one hand, it's a weird thing to say if it's not true, and you'd think they'd explore it fully, but on the other hand, video game 'journalism'. Once I finish my second playthrough, I'll do one and see. (My first one had some stuff I didn't like, so I'm going with this instead.)

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Ham posted:

Ending stuff:

I think what they mean is that in the Destroy ending, Shepard can actually survive if you have enough war assets. They show him/her moving and breathing for a couple seconds after the Normandy crash sequence. Otherwise, there are no pre-rendered cutscenes in the game's folder to indicate a secret ending.

No, they described that as a regular ending.

IGN posted:

If you complete a second (New Game+) playthrough of Mass Effect 3 there is one additional ending you can unlock.
Seems pretty unambiguous to me. I guess we'll probably find out in a few days, assuming someone's that dedicated and spreads the word.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Shroomie posted:

How in the blue gently caress are you supposed to paint the Reaper on the Quarian homeworld with a targeting laser without getting loving killed?

I've died like a dozen times now.

I know exactly what you mean. It's easy if you know the trick, and impossible otherwise. What you need to do is start on the right edge, and move left to avoid the laser, rolling if necessary. Once it passes above you, move right a few feet so you have plenty of space to continue moving left and finish the strike. After each strike, move to the right edge again, and repeat, though the Reaper beam will reach you more quickly since it's moved closer to you. At the last one, when it's slow-motion, I'm pretty sure you don't have to move. I rolled, because that's what happened in the IGN video, but whatever. Also, even though rolling doesn't help the targeting laser, no matter how close you are to firing, roll out of the way if the beam is close to you. It's tempting to keep moving normally, but not worth the risk.

All of this works the same for beginning on the left and moving right, of course, but I figured it'd be clearer to explain the strategy for one direction and note afterwards that either one works.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Ham posted:

Perhaps they were talking about the perspective of a newcomer to the series? One that didn't import an ME2 save? Because I think these guys don't get the after credits "The Shepard" sequence unless they complete the game again.

I don't think so. They addressed importation. Here's the page: http://www.ign.com/wikis/mass-effect-3/Endings

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Smash Tokio posted:

I wish this was a possibility as well. Give the fans their happy rainbow ending and this.

That would be great. Go out of your way to be Failshep, and the Reapers can win. Go out of your way to be Awesomeshep, and the galaxy isn't hurt too horribly. Sure, it's a little ridiculous for the Reapers to be dispatched so cleanly, but given the nature of the Crucible they kind of balance out.

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010

Someday posted:

Say I want to progress the plot and I stick to the priority missions for a while. Will doing so lock me out of any side-missions or assignments? Does the game prevent me from gaining or completing quests if I move into Act 2 or Act 3? Is there a point of no return? Trying to stay away from the thread, sorry if it's been covered.

Yes. They'll stay for a couple missions, especially since several sidequests can't be completed until you've done two or three, but generally you have to be on the ball for those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
What Priority mission locks out Grissom Academy? I'd like to level up as much as possible before dealing with that balls-hard fight.

• Locked thread