Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Anyone else having trouble with the authentication server? Can't even load my save game because it has DLC attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Important question: are there any functional hotkeys on the Galaxy Map other than 'escape'? I can't figure out how to rapidly enter orbit, enter scan mode, etc. with keypresses. This is pretty important when being chased by Reapers.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Charlie Brown posted:

drat it!
I played through ME1 and ME2 on the xbox, but I decided to start with a clean character on the PC version of ME3.
Importing saves seemed a bit different from how I played the first 2.

However - I'm 4hrs in and I've just realised that Wrex is dead!
Nooooo.

Just use the Gibbed editor to make a save where Wrex is alive.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Just gonna repeat this question as it seems pretty important gameplay-wise, does anyone have any functioning hotkeys in the Galaxy Map other than esc?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

tadashi posted:

This is the cannon choice from Virmire.

It's spelled 'canon', this drives me up a wall.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Ornamented Death posted:

Then the SP missions better give HUGE chunks of percentage points. I can't imagine I'm the only person playing this game that has a job and family and can't sit and play video games for 10+ hours a day anymore, and wiping out my progress because I can only do one mission a day or (god forbid!) go a few days without playing is complete and total bullshit.

Whoa, whoa, easy. What decays is your Readiness Score. This is generated by playing multiplayer, and it's a multiplier on your single player score.

So stuff you generate from SP (your War Assets, at least) won't decay.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 6, 2012

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Why is this game beating me over the head with constant and ham-fisted homosexual themes?

They're about as constant and ham-fisted as the heterosexual themes, so a better question would be 'is this game trying to sell itself with sex'.

The answer is yes

e: Given that it's Bioware writing any themes present are inevitably going to be constant and ham-fisted

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Brenwolf posted:

An hour in and I'm not sure how I feel about this. It seems like I have a lot less dialogue choices and that Bioware is doing most of the talking for me...

For what it's worth the first three or so hours are the worst about that, and it improves a bit later once the game opens up. But I do think the number of dialogue choices is strangely reduced all in all - they're mostly concentrated in specific, fairly deep conversations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Amateur Saboteur posted:

The first thing you hear when you get to the Normandy is your Yeoman's homolust for EDI's voice, then Vega AKA Flex Crunchlust hits on me after some homoerotic slap-boxing, then the Yeoman practically demands me to go downstairs just to hear the mexican dude talk about his dead husband that I personally give all of zero shits about.

This all in the span of the 20 minutes after tutorial.

So are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? :v:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Amateur Saboteur posted:

After you get done touching each other you have the option to say you like the pet name he gives you but even if you tell him to cut that poo poo out he says "your loss" with a lisp even. That still made me pretty uncomfortable and I'm not a homophobe IRL, I just don't like my Shepard having to go Renegade option and be a jerk just to keep from implying I want to blow a dude.

The entire game is full of stupid, awkward, hamhanded sex stuff, homoerotic and heterotic and otherwise. From the EDI sexbot and her banter with Joker to everyone's uniforms to the way a male or female character talks to Vega, it's impossible to go through the game without feeling like you're constantly hitting on people or being hit on or just enabling their weird relationships.

It feels like you're just noting the gay stuff in particular because it's more unusual.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

BobTheSpy posted:

How is Sentinel? I loved playing it in ME2 with my rad tech armor.

Weird. It's really strange to have to manually detonate the armor.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Yeah, instead of providing someone with a one word answer that would make their entire argument invalid (note: this answer doesn't actually exist) I like to just tell them they're making a fool of themselves on a comedy forum on the internet.

I do this of course with my faded text and cancer patient avatar that's a side effect of me posting in a subforum where pretty much the only objective is to post like an rear end in a top hat and embarrass yourself.

This is actually starting to get a bit embarrassing :v:

Bioware games are not as well-written as Obsidian games because Bioware's writers aren't as talented. Like I said, the whole game is full of dumb, heavy-handed sex stuff, some of it is gay. I'd honestly rather have overplayed gay poo poo than a total absence of gay poo poo because the idea of a society where gay people can be that open makes me happy. (i am straight)

I think that's pretty much all that needs to be said: Bioware is heavyhanded, there is gay stuff, the combination of these two factors is heavyhanded gay stuff. Can we move on?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

So does the game really gently caress you if you don't have any other ME saves? I really don't feel like playing ME2 again.

Just use the Gibbed editor.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

Lame. How so?

No pc gaming, but thanks for the suggestion.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter, can't you use Gibbed on 360 saves if you've got a flash drive?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

Probably has something to do with causing the death of 300,000 Batarians from the last bit of ME2 DLC, Arrival. v:downs:v

Nope, Shep actually doesn't do that if you didn't play Arrival - a group of Alliance marines handles the Alpha Relay problem instead. You can learn this from the War Assets screen.

I have a feeling I'm going to be explaining this a lot :spergin:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Amateur Saboteur posted:

Hey can anyone tell me in the least spoiler way possible how you earn bonus powers? I've gotten three in the past 14 hours of playing and aside from Fortification which came from the melee achievement in case you care I can't peg where I got the others from like Armor Piercing ammo?

Aren't they earned from your squadmates? I'm pretty sure Fortification came from Vega...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Ryan-RB posted:

How do I get Ash back on my ship? She's out of the hospital already, and a Spectre. Yet I can't find her anywhere on the Normandy or the Citadel. I'm about to cure the genophage, and I feel like it's late in the game not to have her on the crew. :(

She'll become available after the genophage mission and the event after it

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

RONALD REAGAN posted:

Does Allers ever actually do anything except take up space on the Normandy?

Yes, you can do interviews which affect war assets.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

OldTennisCourt posted:

Hey, I got an email about those two engineers from ME2 being held in the Citadel, where are they exactly?

You just use the Spectre office to release them

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So, is it just me, or are the squadmates a LOT less aggressive this time around? Even when I order them close to the enemy, it's like pulling teeth to try and get them to fire their gun. I watched James sitting in cover right next to a guy and wouldn't even fire on him when I ordered him to, and they hang back a LOT more than they need to.

Let me know, maybe I'm just getting myself into odd situations or something.

Yeah, I'm seeing this too. It bugs me given how great the enemy AI is.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

nuncle jimbo posted:

What is going on with this bullshit. What origin fuckery must I carry out to import an old me2 save, exactly?

Shouldn't have to do any. Sure the save is in the right place?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

rock2much posted:

I'm breaking my Soldier streak to try Vanguard, since apparently goons love it. Here's to hoping I have no regrets.

Oh God you're going to have so much fun. Be sure to spec points into Charge and Nova, maybe one point into Pull to handle Guardians. Travel light, charge is your most important weapon and it has to refresh as fast as possible.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It's not the fact that it's MP and I have some adversion, it's ME3 MP. I refuse to play it out of the mentality that I would prefer it didn't exist.

This is how I felt but then I played it during the demo and it turned out to be a ton of fun and something that added to the game as a whole. You probably won't feel the same way but you never know!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I am generally feeling positive about this game right now but there's just enough dumb nerd fan service to make me feel kind of slimy playing it. Did you have to lovingly model in cameltoe? Seriously?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Don't quote it god drat it

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

rock2much posted:

I capped out Charge, did most of Fitness and Nova, should I complete those or start placing points in other places?

Complete Charge, make sure you get the one that restores your barrier to 100, then complete the others. One point in Pull to handle guardians.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Dolphin Fetus posted:

What the gently caress? I just came into this thread and is this a real spoiler? I haven't even played ME3 yet. Are people allowed to post unmarked spoilers now?

I don't know if it's real or not but I would advise just staying out.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Hahaha what the gently caress what even happened with this game. Up until the last ten minutes I was ready to call it an absolute triumph. Then that loving kid appears and starts talking about 'a new DNA'.

I have three principle complaints about this game.

1. Creepy-rear end fan service. EDI's cameltoe in particular just seemed so grotesquely calculated to titillate the virginal neckbeard. It might only have been apparent with the white outfit? I don't know but it had me and :siren:my girlfriend:siren: cracking up.

2. The total loss of the glints of real, clever, hard-SF writing we had in Mass Effect 2, principally in the characters of EDI and Legion. With the guy who wrote those characters gone from Bioware even before ME2 released, it's no surprise. They also completely dropped a number of the more interesting plot threads about the Reapers -- the notion that they each contained a civilization, the idea that they were somehow connected to dark energy in suns, and, well, really, any notion of the Reapers doing anything at all. What did the Reapers do in this game beyond serve as background props?

3. The last ten minutes of the game.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I want to know everything it's possible to know right now about this game's development history. What changed, what was cut, what was rewritten? Something smells really fishy here.

e: I made the mistake of thinking about the ending a little more. Did the writers even play Mass Effect 2? Did they just decide to drop all the foreshadowing from that game? What happened to all of Harbinger's ranting about the genetic suitability of each species? Were the humans the only ones who were going to be 'ascended'? Did they just decide to ditch all their lovely pseudoscientific buildup about how special humans are?

It's doubly frustrating because this game actually had some fantastic writing in it. I genuinely love enormous swathes of ME3, the ending just shits all over them.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Mar 9, 2012

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Here's the best ending. It's the best.

Conversation with the Catalyst. Just when he mentions that he's an AI installed on the Citadel who controls the Reapers, renegade interrupt prompt pops up.

Without hesitation, Shep hails Admiral Hackett. "gently caress this," she says. "There's an AI on the Citadel that controls the Reapers. We know that killing Saren dropped Sovereign's barriers. Destroying this AI should do the same thing for the entire Reaper fleet. Destroy the citadel."

"But Shep," someone says, "that'll kill everyone aboard, including you."

Dialogue wheel: destroy the Citadel or continue with the Catalyst's options.

If you destroy the Citadel, the Fleet opens fire but Harbinger attacks them. If you don't have enough war assets, the Fleet is annihilated and you lose. If you have enough, the Fleet destroys the Citadel and Shep is killed, and the remaining Reapers are driven off/mopped up. If you have a truly vast amount, the Normandy can fly in and extract Shep.

Your choices and war assets matter, it plays well with the established material, and it's satisfying.

e: I should probably add that this is a fan ending I just made up, not one that is in the game.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Mar 9, 2012

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Ouhei posted:

- There's been mumblings of more flushed out endings that were removed pre-release (this could have been Bioware forums people just hoping though).

Sources on this? I'm really not doubting you, I just want to follow the breadcrumbs towards some kind of hope. :smith:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's almost laughable how little sense one of the endings makes. Ending spoiler The synthesis ending - what the gently caress does this even mean? Does all life now contain tiny nanomachines or some poo poo? Have the colossal Reapers been impregnated with organic cells in little tumorous clusters? How does that change the way they think, their objectives? Aren't they all each already a civilization?

All the guardian said was 'a new DNA' :wtc:

And how the gently caress does an entire civilization fail to realize the correct way to save itself from a tank-fired missile attack is to shoot the missile tank with its giant laser while it's sitting exposed in the street :spergin:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Cross posting this from another forum for shits 'n' giggles.

Please link me to this forum, I know it's the one where the guy who wrote EDI and Legion hangs out and I desperately want to learn anything I can from him.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Dolash posted:

:words:

Ending:
The problem is that the game offers no evidence of any fundamental incompatibility between organic and synthetic life. It's possible to bring EDI to true humanity and to resolve the conflict between Geth and Quarians. In fact, every time a synthetic life form in Mass Effect has attacked an organic, it's been in self-defense. There's no buildup to this 'inevitability'; it seems completely evitable.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

nthalp posted:

interesting... the main "endings" bitch thread on bioware forums (1k+ posts 25k something views the one they TOLD us to post in) just vanished from the forums..

I'm sure it was a total accident.

Tell me you're joking.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Congratulations Dolash, you have now clearly put more thought into this than the Bioware writers ever did.

I'd be more fine with the endings if any level of philosophical depth or consequential exploration seemed evident.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I have the art book and have read lots of interviews. They aren't stupid and have given it a lot of thought.

I believe they're smart, but this ending seems like it was a desperate patch-in. I don't think they ever quite figured out what to do. It's clear from earlier leaks that they've changed their minds regarding the Reapers' overall purpose and plan several times.

animaCartographer posted:

but seeing garrus and kaiden be killed right in front of me because of the reaper blast was IMO a great moment in which it had a lot of impact

Ending spoiler I don't think this actually happened, don't they show up perfectly fine on the stranded Normandy? They did for me.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Is that a serious thing in the game or just a joke easter egg? It really looks like something I'd fine on deviant art.

e: nm i'm an idiot, but yes, it's serious

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

tadashi posted:

The first time you go to the Citadel, there's an Asari who's freaking out and wants to be transferred someplace with no humans and is obsessing over getting a gun. Is this a reference to something else somewhere in the ME universe or just a random encounter?

You'll get more of her story as you proceed through the game, come back a few times and you'll overhear more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Holy Calamity! posted:

This game has so many references to past events and in-universe jokes it's insane. I'm about 20 hours in and every mission has gotten progressively more awesome, I really can't believe what a great job they've done with everything, ending be damned.

Femshep still reigns supreme. Dr. Chakwas spoilers:
Just had our yearly drink and I absolutely lost it at Shepard's slurred toast to the doctor. I'm sure I'm just a sap, but this game is hitting all the right spots in terms of being both poignant and hilarious.

I really agree. It's a spectacularly written game on the emotional level, which makes it all the more incredible what kind of an impact the last ten minutes have.

I can't believe they're satisfied with that ending. I can hardly believe the same people wrote it.

• Locked thread