Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
They should have flat out made the picture Aribeth or Jaheira or something, the actual character portrait. That would be funny.

Why is it so hard to catch a loving hamster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

The ending would make more sense if you took control of the Reapers no matter what, and had a series of options in regards to what to do with them based on the choices you made. Like, the basic choices are "switch them off and let the fleet destroy them all, ending their threat forever" and "use them to make humanity supreme" with more extended options based on your morality bar. Like, the max paragon ending would allow you to, I don't know, merge everyone into virtual reality heaven or something and the max renegade ending would basically be 'merge with the Reapers and become God-Emperor'."

I really thought, based on all the poo poo with the Cerberus base and TIM's bit about controlling the Reapers, that there'd be some kind of "broadcast a Reaper shut down code" option.

There also should have been some resolution to the issue of the Reapers being made out of entire races. Shepard literally erases the existence of millions of years of struggling and dying species who no longer have anything in the universe to say they were ever there.

For gameplay purposes I wish they'd set it up so you make the choice through the dialogue wheel, like dozens of other choices that require physical actions, rather than awkwardly lurching in one direction or another.

The other thing that annoyed the hell out of me is that while Shepard is dying, she pictures Hackett, Anderson, and Liara for some reason even though she had an extended romantic conversation with Garrus right before leaving. gently caress the self proclaimed love of my life, I'll die with thoughts of the blue chick I barely talked to on my mind.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Actually, adding to that

Now we're back to the Krogans or the Rachni. You have a race of super-powerful killing machines who are so dangerous that the only way to stop them previously was to sterilize their entire race or wipe them from existence.

You are able to make peace with both. There's danger inherent in the Krogans, but at no point is it argued that it is an inarguable fact that the Krogans are going to kill all life everywhere that isn't Krogan despite the fact that the Krogans themselves are a violent fast-breeding and nearly unstoppable race.

Same with the Rachni. The end result is that you discover... the Rachi are someone you can co-exist with as long as the Reapers are not being assholes and stirring them up. Again, this is a race that the Krogans needed to exist in order to defeat.

Throughout the course of the game the primary thesis (at least for a Paragon Shepard) is that peace isn't impossible and there's no such thing as a race that is inherently evil and that peace isn't impossible. It's not just an organic/synthetic thing, it's the overarching theme behind the story.

I hate to keep ranting about it but the more I think about it the most flat-out screwed up the ending is. Everything up until it was fine. It's not even wrong for it to be a hard choice. It's that the hard choice flat-out flies in the face of everything you've seen and you're not even allowed to argue it.

Ending comments

All three games brutally punish you for choosing the renegade options (except the hilarious joke ones, of course) and in the end, you're given three renegade options. If you played a dedicated paragon character all the way through and showed the galaxy the virtue of peace and love, uniting races against all odds and solving the petty squabbles between the Turians and the Krogan and the Quarians and the Geth, you get to the end and Space God stops you and says "No, your ideals are all wrong, now choose the way you'd like to kill everyone and ruin everything".

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Decius posted:

I see it differently. Endgame spoiler: It's more "things are desperate, here is a list of compromises you have to make. Choose to give up one of your believes in exchange of keeping trillions alive and their civilizations working in some form: right of life for synthetics, free will for all, ending the cycle. Choose now. You can't have your cake and eat it." I'm ok wit this, but I just wished it was also a happy end for Shepard and the Normandy crew on a personal level.

I could see that working but if that was the intention, they bungled it. The kid comes across as less "these are the only choices, you must compromise" and more "I have decided to offer you these two choices because I am a self righteous rear end in a top hat." It doesn't explain why those are the only two choices. It doesn't even explain why whoever built the fuckin' thing put in a magic tube you can shoot to make technology go away or a magic pair of tubes you can grab to do basically the same thing except in a different color. It's even more insulting because the game brought up and then subsequently ignored multiple things that would make sense here, like using TIM's research to create a shutdown code for the Reapers or using your experience with synthetic beings to argue the point. More importantly, there should really be a "go gently caress yourself" option, where the galaxy just keeps fighting and if you have enough resources, victory comes at great cost.

It really is incredibly lazy.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Dolash posted:

seeing organic life as a garden to tend is safer.

See, they dropped the ball with the ending majorly. If the Reapers had just come right out and said this, it would have been a lot better and more internally consistent with previous dialogue with them. Less 'we're doing this for your own good' and more 'you're a resource, we're farming you'. Harbinger and Sovereign's bullshit would still make sense in that context. You don't explain to a flower garden why you're pruning it, you just do it. You don't have a debate with your kennel of show dogs over the ethics of selectively breeding them and culling negative traits, you just do it.

This, naturally, leads to the Paragon/Renegade choices of telling them to gently caress off and rallying the galaxy to end them (maybe using the Crucible as a weapon or a self destruct code) or seeing their point and joining them by merging, respectively.

poo poo, they could have used the same cinematics. They just needed to rewrite the dialogue and replace the stupid ghost kid with a yellow ball with Harbinger's voice.

I feel like they wrote the script in too many directions, painted themselves into corners, and couldn't satisfyingly resolve the main plot, Cerberus subplot, AI subplot, and the dropped Eezo/dark energy subplot all at once.

We are not going to get a "we hosed up, so we totally rewrote the game from the conduit on" DLC, so the best we can hope for is some side missions or an epilogue that shows what happens after Shepard wakes up at the end.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

You know what else the ending is missing? Since it's implied that the computer represented by virtual ghost child is controlling them all, and they're the remains of previous races combined into single, synthetic forms, it follows that they are effectively slaves of this central intelligence. An ending where Shepard frees them from that control somehow (talking the Catalyst out of it or blowing it up) and has to convince the assembled races not to fight them would be pretty awesome. It'd be sort of repetitive after the Geth/Quarian thing, but it turning out that the Reapers were themselves basically huge husks robbed of their free will would be a hell of a twist and would fit with the 'everyone should be free, give peace a chance' theme.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

DerDestroyer posted:

Presumably the energy being released by the relays is converted or focused in such a way where this doesn't happen.

(Ending) It's pretty tightly focused into a beam. I guess the last system(s) in the chain of relays are hosed, though.

You know what? Especially if you gathered everyone up, the Relays being destroyed isn't bad. Since there were Quarian liveships, the Quarian and Turian contingents aroudn Earth could probably set up viable colonies on the moon or Mars using the parts and the Quarians' supplies. Everybody doesn't have to die. I just wish they'd, you know, loving explained what happened instead of implying that the Normandy crew started an isolated population of humans where they crashed (I guess if Garrus and Tali were aboard at the time, they're hosed when their food runs out) and giving absolutely no information about the entire loving rest of the galaxy.

Now that I've had time to let my rage subside, I have to admit that none of the endings are bad in principle, but they were very poorly executed and it looks like they originally had something else in mind and half-assed together those cinematics from other resources. They're literally the same thing with different colors.

Gadzuko posted:

Ending: The reason for the Reapers existence doesn't even make sense. They're supposed to prevent synthetics from wiping out all organic life by wiping out organics before they become advanced enough to create synthetic life? Why not just wipe out the synthetics? What happens when they gently caress up, like they did in this cycle, and someone makes a synthetic like the quarians made the geth? They weren't going to kill the geth. What's to stop the geth from just taking over the place before the next cycle and annihilating all life?

It would make more sense if the Reapers approached any AI that developed too far and offered them conversion into Reapers and escape from the galaxy, then wiped them out if they refused. It makes even more sense since they're remotely dictating the evolution of all technology in the galaxy anyway. Really, doing the whole culling thing is silly given that it obviously takes time, resources, risks the destruction of the Reapers which are designed to offer species "salvation" by preserving their memory, and risks huge resistance, which apparently happens, like, every time they do this.

Thulsa Doom fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 10, 2012

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

The ending wouldn't be as bad if it gave us some kind of closure on the Krogan, the Quarians/Geth, and the fate of the fleet in the Sol system, since everything we've learned about the galaxy beforehand indicates they're all screwed now, even if you made the hard choices to get the best outcomes for them, and there's nothing to indicate otherwise. Mordin, Legion, and even Thane's sacrifices were all in vain. All of the people you talked to on the Citadel to resolve their conversations? They're all dead. The old lady that was going senile in the embassy? She got turned into goo and that goo got blown up. If you promised your LI you were coming back, welp.

Bitching that a happy ending would be unrealistic or wouldn't fit the theme of sacrifice is stupid, since there was supposed to be multiple endings. I don't think anyone is saying that a happy ending should be the default. I'd be more than happy if, like ME2, being lazy (or even making logical choices, like sending the guy who sneaks around in vents into a vent or picking a war leader guy to lead some war stuff, but without the benefit of understanding the game's hidden mechanics) led to a lackluster result with a lot of casualties and poo poo being hosed up, but if you put in the work to do every side mission and plan everything perfectly you get a better ending. The ending being sad isn't the problem, the ending changing the setting fundamentally isn't the problem, the problem is the lack of a real epilogue to explain what the gently caress just happened, and the lack of any variation in the endings. We went through all of that for a palette swap and apparently random squadmates popping out of the Normandy? That's it, that's the whole ending?

I just can't understand how that came to be, when there was so much attention to detail put into calling back and paying off tiny, irrelevant things from a game that came out five years ago. It's really jarring to go through a really well written and enjoyable game that completely spirals into poo poo in about ten minutes. Even the design choices are poor. Couldn't I just use the dialogue wheel, instead of holding down the W key for five minutes to make my choice? You choose physical actions through the wheel constantly in all three games!

Thulsa Doom fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Mar 11, 2012

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

If Liara was meant to be the canon romance, then someone on the writing team must really, really like Garrus. The scenes and conversations that make up that romance path, particularly the final one, are so well written that one almost forgets that one of the participants is an enormous silver space cricket.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Charlie Mopps posted:

I do think ManShep gets the best line from Aethyta, asking Liara 'And how many times have you popped his thermal clip?' :lol:

Jack has the best line in the game.

Bite me, Garrus. Better yet, bite her. I bet that's how she likes it.

I did not expect that.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

precision posted:

Every single human in the games is attractive,

Did your game bug out and make Allers disappear?

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

It's too bad they all end up maimed and piled up in bleeding mounds to await being thrown into a giant woodchipper for baby Reaper chow. They probably just toss the aliens out the airlock, though, since they specifically want humans for the new Reaper they're making.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Bioware doesn't innovate or go on grand flights of imagination. Everything in Mass Effect is derived from something else. Their writing, in general, is filled with cliche.

There's nothing wrong with that. There's no obligation to reinvent the wheel. Everything is derivative of something else and originality isn't the first criterion for good fiction. When they go out of their depth, we end up with lots of speculation for everyone.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

GulMadred posted:

Is the technical stuff (semi-relativistic FTL, lack of FTL sensors, general fleet doctrine) cribbed also, or is it original? I was pretty interested to see all of that stuff in the ME1 codex; the idea that dreadnoughts would engage only at standoff range (which would apparently rule out any George Lucas cinematic battles), the fact that an adversary's drive trail was more hazardous than their primary weapons, and the whole focus on heat management as the crux of combat.

The specifics and the way it's all tied together are pretty clever, but networks of instant jump points, uncommon elements that have a property related to faster than light travel, and a biological explanation for space magic have all shown up in speculative fiction before.

Up until they get pointlessly over-explained the Reapers are straight out of Lovecraft: the whole galaxy thought the godlike precursor race were benevolent yadda yadda yadda and it turns out they're all incomprehensible monsters of vast scale who drive lesser beings mad through their sheer presence and don't care about mortal beings at all. Even the virtually immortal, super-advanced Asari are as insects to them. They're very Lovecraft, actually, right down to space being their natural habitat.

The heat thing comes up but Mass Effect makes a much, much bigger deal of it than most stuff. They're actually pretty clever how they account for and integrate it into the lore and the mechanics. It's also true; space isn't "cold", its' a vacuum, and dealing with built up heat would be a serious issue for hypothetical long distance space travel.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

There's an obvious disconnect between the character/mission writers and the overall plot, particularly at the ending. The discord between the squad members' final words before the last battle and the ending are jarring. No one will achieve whatever they said they were going to do after the war is over.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

So my total military strength is 6536, my readiness rating is 57% and my effective military strength is 3725... I have to get at least 5000 effective military strength in order to get the synthetic ending right? I did this guide where I got all the war assets. I'm guessing certain choices in the game effects your military strength as well

There is a guide explaining the point thresholds here:

http://www.ign.com/wikis/mass-effect-3/Endings

If I read that right, you only need 2800 points to choose any explosion color you wish.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Take Javik to Tuchanka. It's brief, but he likes Wrex's style.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Javik is one of the best things in the game. They took a huge risk with making him a giant rear end in a top hat in the beginning that some people might elect not to talk to anymore, but he's very smoothly integrated into the game and his character arc completely pays off his early behavior.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Count Choculitis posted:

I agree, but Vega's just so strangely charming, I can't help but want to romance him anyway. :allears:

Believe so. I don't think anyone gets to romance Vega sadly.

I hope a DLC adds a subplot where if you bring Michel on the Normandy, you have to help Garrus choose between her and Tali and then help the two of them discover the power of friendship.

I am a bad man.

It is a little weird that Garrus/Femshep is the only hint at a turian/human relationship we ever see in the entire universe. It's not like turian/quarian relations are unheard of. There's a turian hitting on a quarian in ME2 and there's an in-universe movie about it.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

skoolmunkee posted:

Well, perhaps that was intentional as the species relationship there could be described as "frosty."

Pretty sure the turian c-sec guy had a thing for the human gal in the refugee bay though. And it was easy to guess Michel might have a little something for Garrus back in ME1 (that line about the chocolate was too cute).

All of Vega's nicknames were dumb. There is a poo poo-ton of better nicknames for Garrus than "Scars."

I want my Garrus/Dr. Michel DLC to also include a conversation in which Shepard must confess to her mother that she is sleeping with a Turian... before the Illusive Man does.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

She mentions and age and is labeled "teenager". Just because he isn't an rear end in a top hat to her doesn't mean he wants to gently caress her. I don't think those conversations were meant as anything other than another subtle tragic thing going on in the background, like the PTSD Asari.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

He probably sounded the way he did because he was thinking "Don't say 'giant robots ate your family', don't say 'giant robots ate your family'" the whole time.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Urdnot Fire posted:

One of my favorite lines from him is "Why did you evolve to only have two eyes? Isn't that a step back?"

Dude, you can't just ask people why they evolved.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

DerDestroyer posted:

Would be nice to get a list of recommended squad combos for each mission so you get some of the better dialogue.

All Javik, all the time.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Crows Turn Off posted:

Oh, man. :( Now I'm bummed. Kelly Chambers got shot in the face, according to some refugees. I never got the option to tell her to change her name - did I have to do something else other than talk to her to get that option? I had two separate conversations with her. And after she took care of my fish for me too. And she's not even on the wall on the Normandy?! That's just terrible. :(

I knew she didn't die until Priority: The Citadel II. I only saw Priority: The Citadel in my Journal, so I thought I was safe. Turns out there isn't actually a "II" in the mission name in the game. My inability to understand that got Kelly killed. I'm a horrible Shepard.

I also had to take the Renegade option of shooting Udina. What a dick.

You did the right thing. A bullet in the head is the best thing for Kelly, really. The other options are to be so cruel to her she kills herself, because your approval is literally the only thing she has left in her life. If you romance her, you're a monster. "Romancing" Kelly in ME3 consists of a quickie in a rusty metal storage container. It's probably hot, stinks like blood from all the rust, and has space rats in it. She was probably picking slivers of metal out of her rear end when the husks came for her.

That's right. That's what happens to Kelly if you 'save' her. She gets to live to experience her worst nightmare all over again. She does obviously have the ability to kill herself, so I hope she blows her brains out when the first husks arrived, instead of being paralyzed by fear. If that happens, the hideous, deformed corpses that were once men will drag her down into the depths of the Citadel and subject her to the horrors of the Collector base all over again. Maybe they put her on a Dragon's Tooth, make her sit there screaming, waiting for her turn, knowing there's no escape. Maybe she's in that pile of bodies when you first go up the beam. Lying there, still alive, covered in gore and filth, weighed down by the dead bodies of her new friends that she was trying to help. Feebly clawing at your boot as you limp by, croaking your name though you can't hear her.

That's what happens to Kelly if you 'save' her. Her worst nightmare happens again, and this time the hero doesn't come to save her.

It's best if you let the Cerberus troops shoot her in the head. She won't really feel it or see it coming, and she'll die with the last shred of pride and hope she has intact, rather than enduring the depredations of the Reapers.

Bioware doesn't care about Kelly.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

magimix posted:

:stare:

I'm actually glad Kelly didn't show up in my previous ME3 run (I'd saved her from the Collector Base, but she didn't show up in my game at all, presumably because I didn't invite her up for dinner), because thats all just too drat depressing! (Vividly written though, I give you props for that :haw: )

She doesn't appear if you didn't do the conversations with her. I think you have to get to the having dinner stage. I'll never import a save that will bring her to the Citadel. I can buy new fish.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Phylodox posted:

You have to buy new fish in Mass Effect 3, anyways. I guess the ones you had were contraband Cerberus fish, so they had to be detained and questioned.

No, the fish are dead, and she keeps them in a box and pretends it's an aquarium. She pulls them out and lays them out on the table in her rusty box and pretends she's having dinner with you again. This time, you don't throw her away like she's useless after using her.

Then reality comes crashing back down.

Bioware doesn't care about Kelly Chambers.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Phylodox posted:

That was a baby hanar, you kidnapping, racist son of a bitch!

If you hadn't bought it, it would be left on the Citadel to die. Maybe after the game is over, Javik takes it. :3:. Haha, just kidding, it probably hits the windshield of the Normandy when it crashes.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Houdini posted:

Speaking of fish, does anyone know what the NG+ email from one of the fish is about? It's mentioned in the guide.

The true secret ending. The Illium skaldfish was behind it all along.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

No, bro - Bailey, Kolyat and Conrad got her out in the nick of time, seconds before the Citadel closes up. THEY JUST DID, ALL RIGHT? :colbert:

:negative:

:stare:

I forgot about Kolyat.

This needs to be a DLC mission.

Doctor Doctor posted:

Someone needs to mod the ending so the shot with the relays shooting beams across the galaxy just forms a giant Goatman, at least it would be honest.

I think they did this on purpose. Silly player, you can't romance a giant space bird or a bubble lady who will die from your touch, you want Liara!

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Actually, how about DLC that takes place after the Reapers capture the citadel and you have Bailey, Aethyta and that Turian general helping get many civilians off the Citadel.

I really do hope people aren't soured on the entire ME series. I really would love to see more games set in the universe. First Contact war rts maybe?

Bailey as a soldier, Kolyat as an adept and Aethyta as a vanguard. I'd play the poo poo out of that.

I hope someone at Bioware is tasked with gleaning other forums for ideas.

Haha, who am I kidding.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Would be better if it picked up all the corpses too :barf:

Hasn't Kelly suffered enough? Is there no indignity you would spare her? You would sling her halfway across the galaxy on a torrent of pallid, cold flesh?

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, it would be pretty awesome if at the end rather than limping to the teleporter, then limping down a hallway, you went up there normally, and then had to fight your way through the citadel wards, with some stuff like getting citizens off the citadel and finding C-sec holding against the reapers and such.

Why is this game so loving incomplete? It's like they just give up and start half-assing it as soon as you go to the Cerberus base.

These ideas are awesome, I would pay money for them right now. This minute.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

If Bioware intends for us to pick up immediately after that drawn in breath teaser, it's a major dick move on their part to dump me back at the beginning of the two hour long endgame with limited save points. Also it does nothing for Kelly.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

100 Years in Iraq posted:

IF they were going to do that at all, Joker should have gotten increasingly hosed up over the course of the game, so by the end he's basically in a wheelchair and everything is splinted, bandaged, or in a cast.

I don't know why everyone assumes that Edi's cybernetic booty would crush Joker's pelvis when her mass could be reduced with a mass effect field.

Oh my God why am I thinking about this

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Joker already comments on that in Purgatory. To paraphrase, "I could have a broken heart or a broken pelvis."

I like to think they were sitting in the writer's room and someone said "but mass effect fields..." and everyone else present stared at him as he quietly trailed off and sunk into his chair.

HenessyHero posted:

At least even in vanilla ME3 most characters have a hardsuit costume variant :allears:. I must've complained about the lack of that a million times in the ME2 threads. Back then just about all your human teammates, save Zaeed, went into battle wearing a tracksuit at most. It's nice to be able to pack team-members like James in armor so thick he looks like the Michelin Man.

I love how, in the right environment, Ashley will wear a little thing over her face to breathe. In space. While Shepard is wearing a full face helmet.

Also her hair is somehow unaffected by zero gravity.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Curses, I've revealed that I intentionally put Ashley in sexy skirt armor.

Also Javik doesn't need a hardsuit. Javik can breathe in space.

"You primitives have not yet discovered the secret to breathing in a vacuum?"

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

GruntyThrst posted:

Also she's a hyper advanced AI with full control over that body, she'd probably know what level of force to apply. IIRC the "skin" is also flexible so she could assumedly cushion any impacts.

Infiltrator my rear end, Tim wanted a sexbot.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Schubalts posted:

Tim flies in super models and famous Asari every week. Dude needs no sexbot.

You don't know what it's like to be Tim. You go to so many parties, you fund so many experiments that rip their creators in half and use their mangled body parts for furniture, you sit in so many curiously uncomfortable looking chairs in front of stars that after a while that blue pussy all starts to look the same.

Then you say to yourself, what would happen if I had my scientists build a murder AI, and then I hosed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

New thing I discovered, there are planets to scan even in systems that don't have Reaper icons on the galaxy map.

Also, is there any marked difference by taking Mr Michal?

She hits on Garrus. That conniving bitch Tali ruins it for her.

• Locked thread