Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Mordiceius posted:

gently caress vanguards in multiplayer.

Playing an infiltrator with an overzealous vanguard on your team is annoying as gently caress.

"Oh let me just line up this snipershot. OH THE VANGUARD RAN INTO THE GROUP AND KNOCKED EVERYONE BACK."

It's okay, once you start playing on silver the idiot vanguards who can't keep their pants on will spend most of the game bleeding out in front of turrets while you hang out at across the map, getting hammered listening to Rush while popping heads off Nemesi and saying hello through Guardian mail slots all day having intense inner monologues about potential, like, Elcor wisdom, man.

Then you hit gold, and your super buffed headshots don't damage through shields anymore and you're running around in circles mainlining speedballs just to stay inches ahead of the phantom instant death glow sticks, giant robots with "feels good, man" painted on their auto dick-shattering cannons, and Enkindlers know what else because nothing you do works anymore but you keep bringing the dead back to life while invisible so maybe it's the drugs, maybe you're Space Jesus reincarnated and never realized it, maybe it's all just, like, a game man. Can't make space-rent playing bronze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So, if it can be done without revealing anything, it sounds like the ending runs like the terrible end sequence in Fable 3. Do all these things, get the forces you spent half the game gathering and preparing for, make enough money to fund it, huge buildup to massive, possibly world ending battle.... and you don't actually see anything because you go straight to the end level where your city is being sacked regardless of what kind of defense you supposedly put together, and you have a boss fight against a character whose name makes him sound like a giant magic-mechanical doomsday monster but is really just an ugly wizard. Beat him, cue happy everything is fine scene, end.

It can't be that bad, can it?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Wingless posted:

Convergent evolution stuff

Ancient tetrapod amphibians (like around the time walking on land was discovered ancient) tended to have a third eye that acted like a light sensor that had some minor uses like being able to tell when it was time to mate and such. They still exist in some groups but it isn't common or super useful. You're right on everything else though. Even arthropods with multiple eye sets tend to have a pair of primary eyes, or if they have compound eyes it is a pair of clusters. That sort of thing just works better.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Just wanted to say that I actually started playing the story yesterday and fired it up again today to do the DLC mission, so it was my first encounter with Nemeses. Apparently in single player when you kill them, they stretch out, then snap and fly off into the sky like some sort of human rubber band. As a person who was infinitely entertained by silly graphical glitches in Skyrim I can't wait to see what else this game can do. :neckbeard:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Yaos posted:

Some of these people in multiplayer are mind boggling. When there is an objective there is only one at a time and the maps are smaller than Call of Duty maps, so why the hell do I find myself being overrun while everybody else is doing something on the opposite side of the map? Why would multiple level 10+ players think they are supposed to rush the enemy instead of waiting at the landing zone?

Another one, I can't figure out if it's a MP bug, a lot of people will run up behind me and stop directly in front of me. Why do they keep doing this?

In some cases, the landing zone is an indefensible pit, and getting to the landing zone doesn't make it go faster. Also, it can force the enemies to spawn farther away so you don't get swamped as easily.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Dan Didio posted:

simply couldn't be killed.

This sounds like Wrex. A krogan with shields, barrier, AND immunity? I never let him bite it on Virmire, but even if I wanted to I wouldn't believe you could just "put down" an invincible raging space lizard berserker-biotic.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So on the Grissom Academy Mission does it matter whether you send the teenagers that survive off to be the biotic attack squad or keep them back to make barriers beyond a slight increase in how many war asset points and rep points you get? Does that ever come up again?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Sombrerotron posted:

Not sure what happens if you send them to the front lines, but if you use them for support, you'll get a heartfelt thank you from Jack - provided she survived ME2 - when you look her up in Purgatory.

Okay, the teenagers seemed pissed that I didn't let them run off and get their heads bitten off by banshees, but there you go.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
This is probably minor, but does renegade interrupting the Salarian Dalatrass during the diplomatic meeting on the Normandy have any consequences beyond pissing her off? Since reputation and alignment are separate things now I like to take renegade interrupts now and then but this seems like a situation where it might backfire to get the leader of an entire council race consternated at me.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

The Grumbles posted:

It's a shame all the collectible war asset stuff doesn't do anything beyond filling up a bar. I mean all the flavour text you get when you obtain a new asset is cool, but I think they really missed a trick by not making all these collectibles have a more tangible effect on your experience of the game. One of the best things about Assassin's Creed 2 was the fact that you had this town, and as you nurtured it by opening/upgrading shops, or collecting poo poo in the game, the town itself came more alive. Streets would get cleaned up, banners would appear, broken windows would get fixed, that kind of thing. It's a shame there's nothing cosmetic like that in Mass Effect 3, like even having your fleet following you around or amass by the Citadel would have made the whole process feel a lot more tangible and rewarding.
Or maybe it's just that I'm a fool for spending ages in every system collecting all the war assets.

I agree, but since I haven't played very far into it yet, I really just have one concern since the ending is apparently so bad. In Fable 3 you spend most of the game doing exactly the same thing as Shephard does; uniting several factions to fight a common threat in a giant apocalyptic battle. Except you never actually see that battle. Or any of your forces. Or anything at all to indicate that you did anything. You just fight some dudes in the street. ME3 doesn't do that, I hope.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I knew there were time sensitive missions that had to be completed before doing a certain amount of priority things, but I didn't realize that the little Citadel fetch quests were included in that list too. Welp, looks like Barla von isn't getting his mercenaries and the tech in front of Purgatory isn't getting her power infrastructure upgrade either. The mission design could have used some more thought. Also, :cry:Mordin:cry:.

Is anyone getting bugged "arguments" with Citadel citizens? I picked a side between two C-Sec officers and the war assets log says C-sec is bogged down with minor crimes even though I sided with the officer who said to ignore them. Has anyone run into any consequences for letting the Batarian Terrorist off the life support, by the way? There doesn't seem to be any feedback beyond some rep/exp/money.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I've read that some people suspect that it has nothing to do with the officers because they are supposed to show up earlier, but are bugged to show up after Tuckanka, and if you don't pick a side in an argument before the next priority mission you do, the game picks a side for you. Supposedly it's the argument at the cafe between the business owner and the c-sec officer over the vids, and what seems like the result of siding with the officer is actually just from a Spectre authorization. Seems a bit over-complicated and counterintuitive for a bug though.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
You also have to consider the inherent chance that the mutations culminating in some "novel" gains-of-function phenotype is extremely low. It's true that what mutations "stick" isn't random at all, but whether those mutations happen is. It's all part and parcel in evolution along with "noticeable" evolution taking 10^x generations the more complex the animal is. Bipedal forms might be extremely uncommon just by statistics. Now whether bipedal animals are more likely to develop socially in such a way that they develop space travel, so much so that they have a plurality in the "body plans that made it to space" group, is another concept entirely.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It honestly makes little sense with the retcon too. So Asari just happen to be able to produce pheromones that induce desire and attraction in species from all across the galaxy, even those that have no concept of those terms in a sexual context, or even the same DNA chemistry? The type of evolutionary miracles that would have to occur for that to even be conceivable biologically would make a creationist salivate at such preposterousness in their most hated concept. The only way that would occur is if the Protheans intentionally tampered with the Asari endocrine/exocrine systems to make pheromones of wildly different chemical compositions to stimuli they wouldn't even meet for tens of thousands of years yet. The Protheans had to intentionally make the Asari the space opera equivalent of the drunk girl at the bar following around every man in the establishment that didn't lose eye contact fast enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I doubt they would be interested in scales. Amphibious species, like the Salarians are so often joked about being, tend to have extremely thin, non scaled skin that they can do some minor gas exchange through. Scales to them would be like us looking at a pangolin and thinking "yeah man, totally hot".

:goonsay:

• Locked thread