Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
This is a franchise where the ME1 face builder was an arcane device that allowed you to create a character that looked okay only after 30 minutes of tweaking, and that you immediately regretted the minute he walked into the cabin and opened up his mouth because somehow his mouth is too small and oh god his neck isn't supposed to turn like that :gonk:.

Seriously if the option were there to take the default head and change the hair/eyes/stubble etc I would probably go for it because it's actually a fairly decent model. It's just bizarrely not one of the defaults that you can cycle through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Not to delve back into da:I chat, but how well does it control on the ps4. Will I be pulling my hair out trying to accurately target aoe as a mage without a keyboard and mouse?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The problem I had with da:o is that the radius of spells is absolutely massive and the minute you stopped holding the melee's hands they run straight into them. If the ai at least skirted the edges and tried to herd the enemies that would be great.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Counter-counter point, they seem to have found a way to make Slam even more useless than it was in ME2.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The worst part about the loot system in ME1 is that once you achieve a certain critical mass it no longer matters because everything you get is inferior to the rank 7 spectre weapons, so you get a surplus of omni-gel and credits. Yet you still have to laboriously go through and turn all the things you don't want into omni-gel while avoiding the things that are actually worthwhile because the game refuses to advance once you go over the 150 item limit.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yes, but you can't get them until you've already beaten the game once (they unlock at level 51).

At which point the problem only exacerbates itself since enemies are dropping loot like pinatas and you can only carry so much and have a cap on omni-gel.

There's also the problem where if you reach exactly 150 items in your inventory it's impossible to keep any random loot you acquire but you have to sit there and manaully convert it all to omni-gel watching those rank 10 frictionless materials and rage armors disappear because the 30 storm shotguns in your inventory are just too valuable to you.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yes and they are hilariously better than anything.

The Spectre sniper rifle actually makes using sniper rifles worthwhile. Whereas most sniper rifles before that point don't deal enough damage before they overheat to actually manage to kill something.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Lycus posted:

I don't know why they thought that pick up scene was a good thing to spend time on, it was so silly.

"Hey Sovereign! Time out! I need to have a poignant scene with my love interest, no shooting the ship now, remember? I called time."

"HOOOOOONNNNNK"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

It all actually makes perfect sense: The synthetic vs. organic solution was not a galactic inevitability but simply the basis for the original Reaper protocol. The Crucible (etymology: a trial, an ordeal, from Latin crux, cross) built by Shepard was the anomaly that caused the Reaper protocol, i.e. the Catalyst to reconsider his programming. By choosing to become the Reaper protocol itself in the Control scenario, the only ending that matters, Shepard thereby replaces it, destroying the Old Gods and ascending to the New Pantheon. Mass Effect 3, the most brilliant game ever written.

One of the many things that bothers me about the green ending is that the Leviathans apparently completely skipped cybernetics in their technological development. The ability to liquify people into sentient metals with which to build their giant squidships? Sure! Replace a broken tentacle with a prosthetic? Say what now?

Trapezium Dave posted:

Yeah, that was one of the two things I knew about DX:HR going into it (the other was "I didn't ask for this"). But knowing that, and going into it on the back of ME3, I thought the ending worked in DX:HR. It helped though that the cybernetics question that the buttons were tied to was the whole theme of the game and not something that sprung up in the last fifteen minutes.

It also helps that all the endings were distinct, and the "gently caress your choice" button didn't play a cutscene in which the game told the player he was wrong, but not to worry because someone in the future would come along and make the correct choice.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

guns have two upgrade slots, a regular and an ammo. It's the rightmost box on the weapon. Higher ranked guns have 3 upgrades, two regular slots and an ammo slot.

You also may want to hold onto your anti-personelle and anti-synthetic ammos for a while after you start getting the tier 3 ammo upgrades because they don't upgrade like the rest of them do.

Though once you get sledgehammer rounds your guns can join in the physics fuckery that was previously the realm of the biotics.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Omega gets you flare and lash, though. Which can be worth the price of admission.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Zoran posted:

Flare is actually one of the worst biotic powers.

An adept specialized for Flare is super fun, and viable, on Insanity. And Lash is better than pull in every way except for one, for some reason it can't pull the shields off the Armored Guys in the Citadel DLC, but pull can. It also lets you punk Phantoms hilariously by hurling them off of ledges.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

And the priiiizzeeeee.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Compared to Miranda?

He has inferno ammo, barrier, and pull. So he's good against armor and guys without any protection at all and can be hard to kill once he's loyal

Miranda has Warp, Overload, and slam, if you put her in your party you can now handle every kind of protection in the game regardless of your class, and occasionally you can make husks and abominations bounce out of bounds because physics are fun.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Lycus posted:

Pull is the most common squadmate power, and I generally don't care about squadmates having ammo powers unless I need the squad variety, and I'd often rather have Disruptor or sometimes Warp anyway.

That's a common problem in ME2 where most of the squadmates have really bad power combos. Mordin has Cryo blast and Incinerate, Samara has Throw and Pull, Jack, the strongest biotic known to mankind, has pull and shockwave. Tali has AI hacking and Drone which makes her useless in any mission that doesn't involve the geth.

I mean gently caress Jack's unique bio-amp only affects one of her 3 abilities.

I think they wanted to make the player do most of the work but all it really does is ensure you use Garrus/Thane and Miranda all the time occasionally swapping out the Garrus/Thane slot for Mordin or Tali depending on the mission.

The enhanced focus on power combos in 3 and having more points to play with forced them to give squadmates more variety in powers.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nothing except warp detonates anything in ME2. Shockwave is mostly worthless on Jack because of the way party power targeting works. If jack uses shockwave it originates from her, if you force jack to use the power it originates from your current position, and Jack's AI has no idea how to use it properly.

Shockwave is a good power for Shepard to have in ME2 because it follows the ground, has a very long range, and knocks people out of cover. So you can throw it through a wall of cover and round the corner to find everyone scattered like ragdolls ready for killing. Shockwave in ME3 lost most of it's range, no longer follows the ground, and just isn't quite as good for other reasons I can't really quantify right now.

sassassin posted:

This is deliberately designed to give an advantage to the player that thinks ahead, picking their party based on the types of enemies they expect to be facing. The codex entries for the mercenary groups state outright what types of equipment/protection etc. they use.

Tali is useless against anything but Geth. This is characterisation i.e. good design.

Shockwave is one of the best skills. Miranda is the most versatile option but that really only makes her great at a couple of missions in the game. Garrus is poo poo (in all 3 games).

Hoo boy that's a lot of bad opinions. Picking your party around the threat you're going to be facing is good, but even since ME1 they've been driving into our head that versatility is good, overspecialization is bad. That's why they had the combat/tech/biotic bars. Warp is good against health/barriers/armor, Overload is good against synthetics,barriers,shields, both are worthwhile to have on every mission The only mission you can really afford to overspecialize on are Geth missions because them being Synthetic overrides the Armor.

Tali being useless against anything but Geth isn't good design. It means there's only one mission that she's useful on outside of her own loyalty mission, two if you download Overlord. And the AI for the hacked enemies is terrible, I've had them stand there and stare at a wall rather than attack a cloaked hunter that everyone else in the party can see because I've been painting it with shotgun shells for the past 30 seconds. There's a reason they changed Sabotage to have a use against non-geth enemies in 3.

Also: Since when is garrus bad? In 1 he has Assault Training, Electronics, Damping, and Decryption. As well as Assault Rifles and Sniper Rifles. in 2 he has Overload, which is good, and Concussive shot, which isn't terrible. His armor piercing rounds are probably one of the better ammo types outside of Warp ammo. In 3 He's exactly the same except he has Proxy mine (which the AI isn't smart enough to use so you can either babysit or safely ignore the power)

You probably think he's bad because you give him rapid fire sniper rifles when the AI is programmed to fire the Sniper rifle one shot at a time. Give him a black widow, Krysae, or Javelin and he rips enemies apart.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Well the loyalty thing is part of surviving, basically.

I just mean in terms of things that actually make a real difference in the next game. There are lots of minor things, but I can't think of another thing from 2 that makes a difference in 3.

Oh wait...keeping Kelly alive. And making sure to do Conrad part 2.

Keep Kelly alive and invite her to dinner so she takes care of your fish.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Alain Post posted:

Miranda dies no matter what if you break up with her, which is really weird.

Only an explicit on-screen breakup causes her to die, if you get past the romance point of no-return with someone else before she asks you if you still want to have a relationship she can live.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

Synthesis is Shepard and co. finally being cool enough to not be murdered by the Reapers. It turns out that all along the problem ... was with us.

It is bad.

ME1: "gently caress you Reapers, Humanity is the master of it's own fate and I'm going to kill you no matter how powerful you are and I'll survive."
ME2: "gently caress you Collectors and by extension Reapers, Humanity is the master of it's own fate and I'm going to kill you no matter how powerful you are and I'll survive."
ME3: "Oh, shoving my hands into these blue thingies will end the war? Thanks dubiously helpful space baby."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Right. Which is why I was kind of miffed that there wasn't an option to say 'gently caress you, I won't do what you tell me.' to the Catalyst like there was to Sovereign in 1, and Harbinger in Arrival. Since we apparently used up our quotient of that telling the Prothean AI that "WE'LL STOP THEM!" We end our 3 game streak of ignoring what the reapers tell us by accepting one of the three options given to us by the reapers, and refusing those options just results in our untimely demise and a smash cut to Liara's time capsule.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, playing a novaguard in the final mission is crazy. Just dancing on clone!shepards head while occasionally dashing over to give his girlfriend a shotgunning before returning over to the clone to smash his brain in a few times is a glorious feeling.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Javik is #1 by far. Javik is the #1 DLC of any of the games.
#2 is Citadel.
Then Leviathan
And finally Omega.

This, but I'd put Omega above Leviathan, but not by much.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Just have a plume of rapidly condensing air shooting out of the pigtail holes (because there's going to be two, of course) constantly.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The look on Shepard's face when he mentions that he has a doctorate and did his dissertation on dark energy is priceless.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

It yells at you that your saves are out of sync but you can tell it that your locals are the master copies and it will gladly upload them to the server.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

My main complaint with the ME1 citadel is that you couldn't fast travel to your ship, or even fast travel to immediately outside your ship, you had to fast travel to the C-Sec headquarters, then ride a loading screen up to your ship, followed by another loading screen to get into your ship.

My other minor complaint are the otherwise identical interstitial hallways between areas when you know there's a quest npc in there but you can't remember which one and there's no easy way to get to them to check

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Zigmidge posted:

Is Vanguard the only other gameplay-interesting class besides Adept? Engineer is just a crappy adept, soldier and infiltrator both ask you to shoot the same gun for 120 hours. The last one is just a combo of adept and engineer that ends up weaker than either?

The Vanguard probably has the most transformative effect on gameplay, but all of the classes are good, they just have different focuses.

Soldier lets you play with the more exotic forms of weaponry, or if you prefer to focus on powers, Concussive shot has a rank 6 evolution that will inherit the effect of your current ammo power, which will let you set up and detonate both tech and fire explosions.
Infiltrator is all about cloak, a properly specced infiltrator can take out heavy targets, say a Banshee, ridiculously quick, where as a vanguard would have to charge nova dance for a while to avoid getting sync killed.

The Adept, Engineer, and Sentinel are all about combos, it's just that Adept has the most visually impressive effects. Engineer is a workhorse class, you can strip defenses and set up and detonate both tech and fire explosions, as well as deploying lots of drones to the field to drive enemies out of cover or away from your flank. Adept can only set up biotic explosions but is the best at detonating things since Warp's rank 5 upgrade is the only combo ability that increases the damage of non-biotic explosions. Sentinel can use it's powers less often than an adept or engineer, but they hit harder when they do it, and the sentinel is much more durable.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Then Novadance on everyone's heads with my blessing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, there's a reason why they made it so you can't physics people with shields/armor in 2 and 3. Though I will miss casting Singularity in an office building and watching the entire room get turned into deadly physics projectiles

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ME2 was a society of consensus, they were perfectly happy existing together and just thinking as one mind. ME3 everyone got reaper code so now they're all individuals that just happen to have FTL communication built into their brains.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

If you don't talk to her before the cerberus raid and convince her to change her identity they kill her in the purge.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Miranda doesn't show up unless you A: do the things that allow her to survive and B: wait until right before the point of no return.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The dumbest thing about keeping Miranda alive is that if you break up with her she refuses your help in saving her sister. There's no option to go "look between the reapers and cerberus I really don't have the emotional capacity to keep this going but your dad's an insane maniac so of course I'll help you save your sister."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

You can find Javik there between missions, doing his weird DNA-thing on thane.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Bring up the map between missions while you're on the normandy and it will tell you who's in what room. If they're outside of their normal place they usually have some unique dialogue if you find them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I can't remember which mission but I distinctly remember it happening and the line "I sense sickness in him"

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, That little cutscene with Steve where he tells you about how much better it is to have the armory down by the shuttle instead of up by the CIC and shepard agreeing with him makes me a little mad every time it happens on a new playthrough.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

JFC posted:

Finished my first ever ME, ME2, ME3, and all DLCs playthrough.

Situation Report: That was a lot of fun. I'll definitely come back to these in a few years for another run at it. I was fine with the way ME3 ended, but I remember hearing about it getting poo poo on when it came out. What was so bad about it that Bioware had to add an Extended Cut? Was it just really hard to get the "good" ending or something?

It wasn't that it was hard to get. It's that the ending was unsatisfying and confusing. After the laser hit you there wasn't any sign of your crew. You chose red blue or green, the laser shot off, the relays exploded, you saw the Normandy trying to outrun an explosion in relay-slip-space, then you saw Joker/edi stepping out of a ship and looking at the sun. Occasionally joker's hat had circuitry. There was no explanation of what was going on with your squadmates, and there were a lot of people wondering about the Quarians and Turians and how they'd survive in Levo-space with the relays destroyed

Though there are some bits of it that are a little ridiculous in the EC. Normandy leaving the front lines, flying down for a pickup and being able to safely extract your crew while waiting long enough for you to have a chat while protected only by an overturned tank and Harbinger watches honking approvingly is a little much for my tastes.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The events of Rannoch alone make planning a sequel difficult. Notice how even in DA:I they've rather surreptitiously avoided the possibility that there's an entire society of elf-cursed werewolves out there sworn to the service of the Gray Wardens. I expected a war table mission or something, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I was replaying ME2 to get a vanguard ready for an ME3 playthrough. Miranda and Garrus glitched the hell out trying to jump down a ledge. They weren't dead but the game had them flagged as dead and started slowly elongating Miranda in some very odd ways.

• Locked thread