Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Spartan421 posted:

How were they able to build The Crucible, a massive project requiring loads of resources, and the reapers never found out about it and never send a huge rear end fleet to blow it up? And where was it being built anyway?

It was almost certainly being built at some random meaningless star system somewhere in the galaxy. Space is really loving unfathomably huge, and their only real requirements for the system they're building it in are that it has no mass relay but is within FTL distance of one, it is uninhabited, and it must have a planet that's not too close to the sun, but any kind of planet will do because they don't give a poo poo if it's habitable. That almost certainly describes billions of star systems in the galaxy. If you also look for an asteroid belt or a planet suitable for strip mining and you're probably still looking at billions. Go up to being within two FTL transits of a mass relay and the numbers will get even larger.

Even in the Mass Effect universe, there's still a shitload of galaxy out there not being used. They could probably pick some system like that at random and be safe as long as they manage to keep the location out of the hands of the indoctrinated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Alain Post posted:

(and unlike ME3, ME2 insanity is actually hard)

ME2 Insanity is only hard if you've got no effective way to deal with shields/barriers in your toolkit, imo. If you do, it's still pretty easy as long as you're willing to be patient and sit in cover, because there's not nearly enough cover-busting effects to make most segments challenging. The only ones that I ever found particularly difficult were Garrus' recruitment mission, the Collector Ship, and the Suicide Mission itself. Most everything else is just a matter of sitting in cover until your power cooldowns come back up and bringing along some decent squadmembers to cover your weaknesses.

Alain Post posted:

Is there a way to make shotgun sentinel work in ME3?

It can totally work, in that it's effective/viable enough to beat the game, but you're a coverhugger. If you want to ignore cover and go raging around the battlefield with a shotgun in ME3, you are looking at the Vanguard.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I found ME2 combat to be way easier than ME3 combat because ME2 is decidedly lacking in coverbusters; as long as you're patient enough to just sit behind cover there's only like 3-4 missions that are even slightly challenging. Garrus' recruitment mission, the last room in Horizon, the Collector Ship, the Suicide Mission. Everything else is a cakewalk. In ME3 they'll at least grenade your positions.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kurieg posted:

The reload time if you gently caress up and it overheats is doubly punishing when you're trying to chain together a combo.

Don't gently caress up?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That's my favorite fight in the entire game because it's the only one that actually felt challenging.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kurieg posted:

It's super hosed up and one of the options is leaving him a gun with a single bullet and getting the gently caress off that planet.

Another one of the options is leaving him with no gun and all the crazy people.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Trast posted:

ME2 with a fully realized vanguard would be pretty baller.

You'd need better map design to really make it worth it. So many of the levels are nothing but corridors, which is why Vanguard could be problematic in ME2.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

My Q-Face posted:

Where do you get good weapons early on? I'm struggling with a level 30 soldier and it feels like the game is broken. Heavy Overload and an entire avenger magazine of maxed out disruptor rounds barely take 25% of a mech's shields down. In fact, I'm pretty sure it is broken, I started off with 7 medigel and when I hit Wilson I had to go to the machine and now I only have three.

I hate ME2 combat :colbert:

If you have the DLC you'll get the Phalanx pistol, Mattock AR, and Geth Plasma Shotgun right after Freedom's Progress and all three of those weapons are very strong.

Also, if you want to crush ME2 Insanity easily, roll Sentinel. Overload and Warp shred shields/barrier/armor. Tech Armor makes you hugely tanky, recharges your shields when you put it up, and at ranks 3-4 it also resets your allies ability cooldowns, so you can use it to fire off 4 overloads in 2 seconds or the like. It's easily the most powerful class of ME2.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It's also nice to have a setting that gets to ignore previous events so there's no need to account for things like Wrex/Wreav, whether or not you cured the genophage, whether or not the quarians or geth don't exist, etc. The Wrex/Wreav thing in particular is a gameplay decision that would 4 games back that would still be necessitating alternate content unless you completely ignored the krogan somehow.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

How in the world is it boring? It's fast paced, always on the verge of death, and has a super fun sound effect.

Now soldier is boring and repetitive. Infiltrator is boring and repetitive.

Charge has an extremely short cooldown, invulnerability frames, and it fully replenishes shields. Nova has a powerhouse AOE, invulnerability frames, and it only costs shields. The entire game is just endless repetition of Charge/wait/Nova/Charge/wait/Nova. The only time you have to do something else is when you have enemies in non-chargeable positions. Terrain doesn't matter, distance doesn't matter, enemy type doesn't even really matter(you can charge boss mobs all day long as long as you know how their sync-kills work). For added hilarity forget the shotgun and use the Tempest with incendiary ammo, extended mags, and the power enhancer. charge/spray/nova/repeat.

Soldier and Infiltrator are both more fun, especially shotgun infiltrator, because you actually have to move and aim and be more involved in the game than just 'point front at enemy, spam invuln frame attacks."

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

Are we ever going to have vorcha/batarian/elcor teammate or are my dreams never coming to life

thats all i want to know

Vorcha and Batarian showed up in the ME3MP, so maybe. I would not set my heart on Elcor, though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Node posted:

Is there a non spoilery way that someone can explain to me how to survive this so called Suicide Mission in ME2? The game is downloading now.

I definitely don't want to be spoiled, but I also don't want to lose it and be encouraged to play through the game again to do it correctly. I only like playing through RPGs once in a while, so I wouldn't want to find out I made some huge error and restart the game.

If you think things through, it is pretty hard to lose it, really.

This is the one mistake my friends commonly made, though: You might think that the assassin is a logical choice for sneaking through a vent. You should think again.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Tirranek posted:

Bugs me that Shepard didnt think to use lift to stop someone falling to their death in ME3

Her shields were up!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Use an SMG, get the explosions morph on your incendiary ammo, shred things.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

mangler103 posted:

No. Just Elcor romances.

Excitedly: This is what I have always wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

It does seem a weird mission. They can't report back unless their just like "ok guys well go see what's out there, be back in about 1200 years."

Would quantum entanglement communicators work at intergalatic ranges?

• Locked thread