Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RIP Emily Wong her last name was also the sound effect her tiny ship made as it uselessly ricocheted off the reaper's hull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Slake Fistcrunch posted:

Oh God.

SERIOUS ENDING SPOILERS:

I just watched the Control ending, and it is loving horrible. Shepard gets vaporised, and it's drawn out and graphic. His face melts. That was awful.

Seems like it's worth it considering the payoff though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ENDING STUFF:

Buddy Holly posted:

Both the Control and Synergy endings are so hard to watch. Bioware is going to force me to watch Shepard die. Thanks.

Does Shepard actually die in the control ending though? I thought it was a "shed your mortal form to become master of all the reapers" type deal.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cheap Vodka posted:

Tali is literally a girl from a stock photo. No, I'm not making this poo poo up. :staredog:

Don't click this if you don't want the reveal kinda-spoiled.

This is insane. Between this and the ending background from deviantart. Did BioWare outsource some of the art assets to a South Korean company that just did google image searches or what?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mice Everywhere posted:

For fucks sake

Pretty sure that was an intentional parody.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

1stGear posted:

Its a picture you only see if you romance Tali in ME2 and ME3, if I understand correctly. They probably expected most people wouldn't see it so didn't put that much effort into it.

So much content and detail has been crammed into this game that some of the edges ended up getting pretty frayed. But writing the whole thing off because Bioware phoned in two images is juvenile.

It's more incredulity at the fact that a triple A massive budget mainstream title fleeced some its art, even a teeny fraction of it from simple google searches.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

"Hey, did you use a stock photo site for its intended purpose?"

"Yeah"

"GOTCHA!"

Really? Is that the defense we're going with? "Hey we put in literally the bare minimum of effort to make this picture, but we didn't technically do anything wrong so suck it?"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Teenage Fansub posted:

Anyone?

In the red hood? Nope.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Giant Moth posted:

How is the adept playing out in Mass Effect 3? I used to do one in the 2nd game, and while the warp + singularity combo was hilarious, Adept felt extremely lacklustre due to lack of guns, and the powers didn't really balance that up.

ESPECIALLY not if you played on anything harder than normal, where shields and armor would completely block your powers.

Copy/pasting from the multiplayer thread but all of it pretty much applies:

quote:

The human adepts lose a lot of their punch on silver and higher where a majority of the enemies have a defense layer to be stripped before their singularity (or shockwave if you bother with it) will do anything.

It's not as bad as in ME2 though because
A) There's at least a few defenseless shlubs still hanging around
B) The weight system allowing you to game your cooldown bonuses super high
C) Heavy pistols actually being worth a drat at stripping all defense layers instead of just armor as well as having the ammo to back it up
D) Warp having its burn damage/additional weapon damage effect back
E) Variety of ways to set up/detonate warp explosions

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 7, 2012

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Ah, so he is. They never used his first name until now.

Missed a chance for it to be Elvis. Can't decide whether I'm impressed or disappointed.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Nephilm posted:

I'm glad you're not in Bioware's writing team.

To be fair I'd also be glad if Bioware's writing team wasn't in Bioware's writing team.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zoolooman posted:

Generic point about video game writing:

Video games are about the player assuming a role. Almost universally, forcing that player to lose in any sense will end in disappointment.
Especially so for single player games, and especially especially so for single player role-playing games.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I, too, think discussion about Mass Effect 3 should be given its own thread, separate from the thread used for discussion about Mass Effect 3.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So I'm getting my saves in order for the eventuality that I'll end up playing ME3, and apparently the shadow broker install file from bioware's site has been completely fubared for months. Is there a way to get it from Origin? Apparently the only fix around, and the way Bioware's tech support has actually recommended getting around it, is to e-mail a random person on the Bioware forums and get the install file from them, which is sketchy enough that I'd rather not bother.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Seriously, I've downloaded the shadow broker install file 3 times in entirety and it's come up screwed each time. Is there a way to get it on origin?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

I forget, do we ever see another spectre in the games besides Saren and Nihilus? You'd think with all the poo poo going down you'd see a few more of them.

There's the asari one in the shadow broker dlc. Which I still can't get installed by the way.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Riso posted:

Seeing how even support told you to, :filez: seems to be your only solution.

Yeah, once I get the chance I'm going to give gibbed's suggestion a shot and then it's time to fly the jolly Roger.

The weird part is over the four times I grabbed it last night I did manage to actually get it to run once: by starting it from the command line with /ncrc on the end which I assume overrides the CRC check. That time the installer gave up halfway through, but it means that the files aren't all corrupted in the same way.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 12, 2012

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Zedd posted:

I had that once, it was a bout a month before my old computers RAM died and my HDD's died.
So yeah.

The problem seems a little too widespread to be something specific on my end, so I'd have to guess your harddrive failure was unrelated. I hope.

My actual guess is something's screwy with bioware's download server such that it's dropping packets like skrillex drops a sick dubstep beat.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So having successfully installed the shadow broker using the officially supported method recommended by Bioware tech support, I noticed on loading up my old save that all my achievements got wiped. Is that going to have an effect on my ME3 game?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Man, playing ME2 again after experiencing the ME3 demo makes me think stasis was even more broken then. One-shotting a YMIR mech from full health on insanity with a charged geth shotgun blast :allears:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I registered my Steam version of ME2 on Origin for shits and giggles. Is it supposed to launch steam in order to launch the game? That's kind of funny.

edit: I just launched it through steam and now I have both the steam and origin overlays available :stare:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

fennesz posted:

:ssh: It was almost as good in ME2. You were just a lot more vulnerable if you missed a Charge.

As a guy who's playing through ME2 now I can say while the charges are definitely slower the guns are way more powerful (than the ones I got to use in the demo). Between the mattock and the geth shotgun I've creamed my way through everything without breaking a sweat.

The only times I've died so far are when I've tried to charge Geth Primes or YMIRs without remembering that I can't automatically re-charge every two seconds to get my shields back, in which case I've stasised and instagibbed them instead.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 13, 2012

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Just polishing off this save to get it ready for ME3 and I'm wondering: where exactly does the break point occur for importing saves? I've just completed the Legion mission and the crew is about to be kidnapped before I can start his loyalty mission. If I complete the endgame before doing his loyalty, will it freeze the save there to be imported? Or can I finish the endgame, sweep up his loyalty mission and all the little clutter I have hanging around in my journal and have it all count for the import?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bongo Bill posted:

It saves after the Suicide Mission, unless it lives up to its name. You can then continue playing; ME3 will import any save in which the Suicide Mission is complete.

Yeah, what I'm asking is if I do the suicide mission, will it lock the save there and not change anything, or if I complete a bunch of stuff after the suicide mission will it add it on top of that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dan Didio posted:

It'll add it.

Simple enough, thanks!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ME1 enemies were basically pokemon if you think about it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

IWILLDESTROYYOU used AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

It's not very effective...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

natetimm posted:

So, I go back and re-do the ending of ME2 so Garrus lives. Jack dies. gently caress. I go back and do it again and everyone lives. Yay. I put in ME3, download the day 1 DLC (gently caress you Bioware) and during the opening segments I accidentally kick my xbox when getting up to take a leak, causing the machine to utterly ruin my disc. Now I have to go back to Best Buy and return it. In a monsoon.

It's just like my dad always told me when I was a young boy: "Don't kick your xbox when getting up to take a leak".

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

GruntyThrst posted:

I'm pretty sure it's just Bioware being dumb and not writing a check to make sure that character doesn't emerge with that ending, not some subtle hint that the starchild was lying. Occam's Razor, people.
Are you insinuating that people latching onto every single minor inconsistency easily explainable by simple reasons as all adding up into an epic conspiracy that Shepard hallucinated the entire ending and that DON'T WORRY PEOPLE EVERYTHING'S GOING TO BE ALL RIGHT are in the throes of insane hysterics?

Because I want to insinuate that.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Someone makes a snarky comment about how a hardware upgrade rendered it obsolete. That's the extent of it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Banjodark posted:

I played insanity as an adept. I only had a locust at that point in the game. poo poo took forever to die.

Shadowbroker was stupid because I rushed into it as soon as possible and the fight turned into 15 minutes of kiting him around the back area of the room using singularity to make him stumble --> warp then finally a few seconds of shooting before I had to set it up again. More than a few seconds out of cover and he'd kill me as well.

It just got really boring when his shield came out and in retrospect I probably did it all wrong but it took forever and mechanically was the worst fight in me2 for me to play on my adept.

None of this poo poo was hard - it was just slow, frustrating and boring. Kiting the praetorians around in circles is anti-fun.

I had a lot more fun fighting banshees, that 3 geth prime fight and the wave of brutes during the reaper/tuchanka fight than I did through most of me2
Yeah, a lot of adept gameplay on insanity in ME2 was wars of attrition and having your big strong squadmates do the heavy lifting for your flailing little purple sparkles. I certainly don't miss that in ME3.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 30, 2012

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

magimix posted:

At least you said, 'feel like', I guess :colbert: The fact of the matter is that there is *nothing* in ME2 that cannot be quickly dealt with, if you use the right tools for the job. That certainly goes for Praetorians (incidentally, position your guys right, and the Praetorian won't even attack them) and the Shadow Broker (who, for all his bluster, goes down like a big wimp. Also, stay on the opposite side of the room from Liara, to keep the Broker alternating between two fronts).

I agree that those bosses aren't the funnest to fight, but for me that is the case *no matter the class*; I don't see Adepts as particurly worse off, in that respect. Again, its nonetheless welcome to see DoTs and status effects return for many of the talents, and ME2 would have been *even better* if it had those things too.

Aren't you the guy who has done literally over 20 playthroughs of ME2 and yet still didn't understand how singularity worked on things with defense layers? I don't trust your gameplay advice one bit.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

magimix posted:

Yeah, the Derelict Reaper mission was *made* for Adepts. Bring a couple of AoE armour-strippers with you, plant a Singularity at a handy choke-point, then train a buttload of enemies into it while mass-stripping their defenses :supaburn:

As with any mission, tailor your party with respect to the expected disposition of the enemy. Combined arms :argh: Edit: There are so many characters in ME2 I can't think its even possible to be in a siutation where you can't build an optimal party (end-game fuckery notwithstanding).
Because relying on having the proper squadmates to carry you is something every class has to do and not just the adept.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gasoline posted:

They kinda killed the chance of an MMO with that ending. Unless the MMO is a prequel :v:

Or they could just say there were some ancient blueprints lying around on Mars that just happened to be found at the most opportune moment. You know, like with everything else in the series.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The one reaction to the endings I don't get is this idea that it has permanently precluded any game ever taking place after them at all. This is the Mass Effect series, where problems NOT solved by ludicrously convenient Deus Ex Machinas are the exception rather than the rule.

Hell, they could just straight up say "Hey remember that ending? gently caress it, that didn't happen". It's this thing that fictional series do a lot called a "retcon", and Mass Effect does it ALL THE TIME. Hell, this thread can't go three pages without people bringing up how guns had infinite ammo and now they don't and boy doesn't that make no sense whatsoever.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Aristobulus posted:

Seriously, doesn't it speak volumes that we're seriously encouraging they resort to a retcon instead of something more natural?

I don't know about "encouraging" but yes I do think it speaks volumes about BioWare's/EA writing abilities and how people seem to hold them up on this pedestal of good storytelling for some inexplicable reason and exactly how many fucks they give about being consistent if it'll make them money.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Elysiume posted:

Priority means story. It's the same as when you find out which hallway is the correct one and then go down every single other one first.

I always liked how Dead Space had the "go in every direction but this way" button.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The adept's heavy melee doesn't have the slight amount of auto-aim that the other melee's have, and it doesn't do as much damage. What it does do is ragdoll just about anything without defenses, and if you've taken the force/power damage multiplying skills like a good adept should, lets you start your own manned space program one "volunteer" at a time.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 30, 2012

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hang on to as much of it as you can. If you manage to hit level 50, Even Better Spectre gear shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Burning Mustache posted:

Thank god they got one thing right about the ending at least. Having TIM pull an Albert Wesker would have just added insult to injury.

You say this as though Wesker isn't one of the greatest videogame characters of all time.

• Locked thread