Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I like how the start of ME3 has the first and (thus far) only chase sequence in the series and it was FANTASTICALLY done, Mars in general was a awesome jump off into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Haha, I love James already

James: Hey doc, you ever find dinosaur bones digging down there?

Liara: *big long explanation about the difference of her field and paleontology, realizes its a joke*

James: Hey... I just like dinosaurs, that's all :)

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Is it just me or is the Normandy full of creepy assed sounds? You always hear footsteps coming from weird places and this one girl's grating cackle.

Also what the hell is up with that charred body in the AI room? Is it the girl from Mars? I mean it looks like her, but we're just leaving this corpse lay around? Also the music in that room is creepy.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Seriously? The loving "You can't click or use any powers randomly as gently caress in battle" bug returns? loving hell.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Soooooo, is the thread being downvoted because people don't like the game or what?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Why oh why would a game design team think I'd want to see blobby static texture people in the far off hallways and undersides of corridors in the Citadel rather than nothing or ANYTHING else.

There's even a really bad part where they have a 3D C-sec officer walking around through them.

Not to mention the awful ones in Purgatory that are made to be "dancing".

I understand I'm supposed to swing my view over them quickly and not even notice, but I like to dig deep when I'm exploring, so it's kinda grating. Can a couple dozen more 3D assets be that bad?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Help with some Eclipse stuff:

Okay, so i'm uniting all 3 merc gangs for Aria, for myself. The one where you talk to the bitch in jail, Joda or something, she pissed me off with her wanna be badassness, so I declined to release her, and Shepard just say "i'll find another way", so my quest log hasn't updated, Bailey doesn't say anything now, Aria doesn't say anything.

She mentioned her second in command being a little bitch, so I figure I can just leave her rot and lean on him to take command, but I have no earthly idea where I find this guy, any hints? The quest log hasn't even updated to tell me to do that, and I can't talk to her again either.

EDIT: Nm, found him.

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 8, 2012

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Bwah. Anyone seen this yet?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Tuchanka: Okay, I jumped out of my seat cheering when Kalros tackled that loving reaper and dragged it under the earth, so god damned awesome. Then I actually choked up a bit at Mordin, curing the Krogan and singing his little song, so many great moments in this game so far, loving hell.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I've definitely felt the difficulty increase on normal mode. The enemies are way more fun this time around, tossing more grenades, taking more cover, love the mixing up of shielded/and LITERALLY CARRYING A loving SHIELD stuff going on.

Also:

I tried the MP for a bit and didn't like it at all, how long does it take to get to 100% galactic readiness?

Has anyone loaded CheatEngine to see if you can just change it to 100% brute force?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Okay, so I haven't finished the game yet, but I've been wildly spoiled a hundred times by now, so can I ask: Do the reapers, after harvesting, seed life on the viable planets again or just let it re-occur "naturally"? Because it'd seem 50,000 years isn't nearly long enough a time. Also: If they seed, maybe that AI is to prevent an even more malicious AI from destroying all organics and then making the planets unviable for life ever again to ensure only an AI galaxy forever? I'onno.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Blue Kazoo posted:

So I recently acquired an Xbox 360. I previously played ME1 and ME2 on PC, but my computer is at the bottom end of the spec range. I'm leaning towards getting the 360 version, but will not having an old ME2 save to continue from make my gaming experience suck? I'd rather have a good time than perfect graphics.

How old is your computer? Mine is getting pretty old at this point and ME3 runs gorgeously. I have a 2.7GHZ quadcore and a Radeon 4850 and 4 gigs of SD2 ram.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm surprised people aren't on board with sniper rifles. I'm pretty much using one exclusively at this point with my Sentinel Shep. Great for armor, I have overload for shielded units, and with upgrades, it holds 21 bullets,which is more than enough for a battle that you can ammo up after.

The only lovely thing is walking around with it not reloaded because I interrupted the reload and Shep decides to NEVER RELOAD AGAIN.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
So if I didn't meet Miranda on the Citadel before Cerberus' invasion, did I miss my chance? Because she's not where she said she'd be, but the entry is still in my quest log.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Okay, just finished, so why is everyone butt hurt about the endings?

There were 3 final choices with distinct outcomes, I guess everyone is whining about "lol you basically get to pick the color of the explosion", but that is Shepards last choice in the game, and it affects every living thing in the galaxy, Shepard's story ends with that choice, so, what do they want? like a big 10 minute abloobloo post script or what?

and I chose the synthesis ending of course, best ending, the geth prove that synthetic life is viable and if the merge is the way to end the cycle once and for all, then good way to wrap the series.

Great game, great series, lots of awesome moments and great characters, dunno what the hell anyone else wants.

The arc played out perfectly, from a storytelling point of view. The most dramatic reveals occur at the pitch perfect moments.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

CJ posted:

Well the transhumanism bullshit came out of nowhere. Also no matter which option you choose galactic civilization is hosed without the Mass Relays so pretty much everyone is going to die.

How did it come out of nowhere? It was telegraphed twice with EDI's metamorphosis and the Geth.

And define "hosed"? There are plenty of local worlds for the populations to inhabit, and the Reaper's are presumably now a part of the galactic civilization with the change, and they possess the knowledge of Mass Relays and that of however many thousands of species they harvested before. I'd say everyone is in good shape.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

stuff

Man how does anything in the ME universe work, relays, "holographic" shields, asari mind melds, the prothean stasis pods; "space magic" has always been in the cards from the start, sufficiently advanced technology yadda yadda, why gripe about this thing?

And I haven't read any twitters, just taking what I see at face value

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Are you kidding me? This is your argument to defend synthesis?

I'm not questioning how it works per say, I'm question what it does. What does it accomplish? What does getting glowy bits on everyone do? How does everyone becoming synthetic and organic solve the Reapers core problem of created rebelling against creators? Why does it cause them to leave? There are plenty of synthetic and organic hybrids in Mass Effect. The Reapers and their hybrid soldiers are a mix of synthetic and organic components, but they sure as hell aren't peaceful.

So what exactly does the synthesis ending accomplish? I'm not asking to know how it works, I'm asking to know what it does. Because taking things from face value, it doesn't do jack poo poo other than give everybody glowing lines. None of the problems are solved. The conflict that was going on a minute ago could continue right away. There is nothing holding the Reapers back, and from what I can tell there is no reason for them not to attack again since the problem they are trying to solve has not been solved.

The endings fall apart once you put an ounce of thought into them.

It's explained pretty clearly that the synthesis is the next evolutionary step for organic and synthetic life.

Shepard is final piece of a cycle that has run thousands upon thousands of time, literally no organic being has ever made it to his position. The VI that started and maintains the cycle prepared for this event by having a series of choices ready for that special lifeform that finally makes it.

The crucible is finished due to a special property of organic life; their sense of free will, survival, and shared identity with other organics (interacting with prothean tech to get information about the reapers, warnings, and the blueprints for the crucible, carried down from civilization to civilization, passed along and protected like an egg.

The synthesis choice unites organics and synthetics, it imbues synthetics with the best attributes of organics; free will, self, identity, maybe evolution, and organics with the best attributes of synthetics. Most likely tissue regeneration, long lives, bolstered immune systems, etc.

Presumably, no organic life will not be part synthetic, and no synthetic life will not be part organic in that it won't be built into a servitor role that eventually gains will and rebels, it will always have that will. Life in the galaxy will probably more or less go on the same way except that a synthetic threat is no longer viable.

And the Reapers stop attacking because the goal of the cycle is achieved, I'm sure the Guardian VI can throw a switch and introduce new behavior, or, the Reapers can just elect NOT to keep destroying everything, remember EDI's revelation about becoming self-aware in the middle of a crisis on Luna? Imagine how crazy it must be for a Reaper.

I also don't mind that the finale boiled down to the choices that it did. Everyone clamoring for Bioware's head for not "giving them the ending they chose" or whatever should run the logistics of literally having a dozen dozen major choices impact the end of the game, this one dead, that one alive, this choice taken, that one punched. You get to play the whole experience the way you want, the other games had few endings as well, what kind of insane branching system of 800 endings were they expecting for ME3?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Hey, far be it from me to go against the :goonsay: I'm way outnumbered.

The levels of butthurt in the spoiler thread are reaching critical mass.

I find it a bit annoying however, that everyone can cast a philosophical eye at the themes and underlying issues of the series as a whole up until the ending, but the ending itself is lambasted obtusely for having "space magic" and "lol colored explosions", my interpretation was just trying to go in a different direction.

Again, I don't know what Bioware could have done to appease the 300 different Shepard's out there, I took the choices aspect to be more of a journey over destination thing, all things considered.

Some of the hyperbole is nuts, betrayed? Disgusted? Sick to your stomach? Duped? Christ people.

In the end, some sage advice:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I just don't understand why the ending of the series has everyone so knotted up. The ending is just an ending. Stephen King illustrated this so well in the last volume of Dark Tower.

It's always about the journey, and more specifically, the climax, a good story has a slow build, and then a ramping up of events that leads to the top of the rollercoaster, and then it's all winding down. Remember how you felt after Harbinger blasts the Hammer squad, Shepard is half vaporized and stumbling toward the beam, and manages to barely hold his pistol up to put 4 more reaper troops on ice as he stumbles into the light? THAT'S the good bit. That's the peak of the story, it illustrates Shepard's entire character perfectly. Everything after that is the winding down, the tieing of ends, the capping off.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Doing a full replay of the series for the first time, this time as paragon femshep (first play was renegade dudeshep).

Aside from ME1 being the slog I remember (it comes together incredibly well at the end, I always have to say), ME2 was just... unbelievable the second time. I don't even know if I fully appreciated it the first time, because ME3 was launching soon and I wanted to finish 1 and play 2 to get to 3 as it came out, but holy poo poo.

Of the several incredible moments:
The introduction was fantastic.
Thane's storyline.
The conclusion of Project Overlord, what a fantastic DLC. Same with Lair of the Shadow Broker.
All of the collector ship/base setpieces.

But really just from top to bottom a legendary game.

I only have maybe one or two minor gripes. It's weird how renegade interrupts don't really detriment you in any way if you're playing Paragon. Once you max your class skill, you'll have Paragon maxed long before you cross the 3/4ths mark of the game, especially if you're doing sidequests and DLC. I guess scars and Samara "romance"?

Also I wish Shepard's class played more into the plot interactions. I played biotic and Shepard literally never uses biotic powers in the plot points. Every time you need a magic wand to solve a problem, it's always her pistol. Also your interactions with Jack could have been more meaningful, you don't even mention being a biotic and neither does anyone else. Granted, Bioware threaded in thousands of player choice preferences into dialogue and mission plots throughout the series, but this seems like a weird blindspot.

Anyway, onto ME3!

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Wow. The janky animations and models in ME3 are a slap in the face after cruising right in from ME2.

I just do NOT understand what the hell happened here. I was basically laughing at Anderson and Shepard running around the catwalks and debris of earth. Also the lip synching is way worse. It's just really, really ponderous how this happened. Why not just use the same damned systems from ME2, what are you doing!?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'd pick something with overload or incinerate, because you can never have enough of those, but with squad powers you can pretty much be anything and still have access to the most important poo poo, so a biotic class is good because of the extra benefits it gives biotic powers damage/cooldown wise.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Do combat classes have bonuses to like, reloading and rate of fire?

I carry a big gently caress you sniper rifle on my biotic because it's just more fun/easier than tapping with an assault rifle, but the reload time is forever.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I love the Mako and I'll fight anyone who hates it I will fight the whole world :colbert:

Just know this about the Mako: you CAN drive over it, with enough time, and enough wiggling, even if its an 80 degree slope.

Also ME1 is a bog you will wade through, but it finishes incredibly strong, so it's worth playing and making your own decisions to enhance ME2. When you get to the galaxy map just jump right into Noverria because it takes forever and you just want to get it out of the way.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
When's the last time you played? I just did a month ago, by the 4th or 5th time you trudge across the giant office building for the fetch quest to get you past the lone dopey guard preventing you from saving the galaxy you want to die.

The lab complex portion was pretty good, it just takes forever to get there.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
So, finished ME3 again.

Spoilers I guess since there's some first timers around:

Tuchanka was as amazing as I remember. Fist pumped at Kalros killing the reaper so hard I almost threw my back out.
Also fantastic was the Quarian homeworld mission. Shepard hopping out of the shuttle to target the reaper, so badass.

Leviathan was okay DLC, the underwater section was neat. Omega was meh.

I was full Paragon and dug it, I also took Synthesis ending again. Once you rule out destroy because of EDI and the Geth, it's a pretty easy choice. I was planning to do destroy but just didn't want to.

I like the extra stuff they tacked on for the "extended cut", it was pretty much exactly what I thought with the reapers helping to rebuild and now having access to all the past civilizations. The only bummer is Shepard being dissolved to make it happen.

To me the entire series peaks at the last rush to the beam, Shepard getting cooked by Harbinger and plowing forward with a pistol IS the whole character to me, everything else is whatever, but that moment? loving perfect.

It got sloggy at bits, and the Citadel DLC is basically a joke, but this may still be my favorite series of all time.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
It took every ounce of control not to punch the reporter 3 times over my replay of the series.

You can actually finish it up and make kinda nice by ME3.

It's also hilarious how long you get for some interrupts, like on Tuchanka in ME2 where one of the Weyroc Krogan who has the females and Maelon trying to cure the genophages is rambling about how they're going to dominate the galaxy again and how everyone sucks, it gives you like 3 chances at the interrupt and it lingers so long, basically begging you to fire the gun into their little set piece, haha.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Are you able to kill both the geth and the quarians?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
The most baffling thing to me is why people thought there'd be meaningfully different conclusions to the third game after this just plain didn't happen in the first two games (I understand the developers said there would be but why did you believe them?). Where was this amazing experience that didn't exist at all beforehand supposed to come from at the end of ME3?

ME1: Save the council or don't. Save Ashley or Kaidan, who cares, we'll use the living one for our purposes.

ME2: Save the collector ship or don't. Let a bunch of people die or don't, who cares, they'll have standins when we need them to move the main plot along. Let them die? Great, less quests for you idiot. Didn't do the Arrival DLC? No worries, some Marine unit will have done it, did you do it? Who cares, maybe like 3 Batarians will give a gently caress in ME3.

I mean there just never was that much divergence whatsoever. Even if you're the perfect stooge for the Illusive Man and like every idea he has about what humanity should do with regards to the reapers, you still end up as enemies on the other side. At no point was this game ever not on a pretty straight set of rails.

Loving Life Partner fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 30, 2013

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Your choices never really impacted the game at all until that point though, how was it all supposed to matter at the end?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Mako vs ground units was generally fun.

Oh hey a group of geth, BLAMMO, and the bodies rolled on fire.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Striking Yak posted:

On a completely different note: Did anyone else get worried that James was indoctrinated? His "do you hear that hum?" line when he's run out of new dialogue on the Normandy had me a little worried.

I'm surprised there wasn't at least one crew betrayal in the series, between Cerberus and The Reapers, it probably should have happened once, would have made for a good run up to the end of 2 or 3.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I just think it's a funny image.

I don't really have any strong opinions one way or the other about the issue. I think the way Bioware handled it is really awesome top to bottom, and I probably enjoyed my play through as woman Shepard more than male, because the VA was amazing.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I always advise people to play ME1.

It's a chore at times, but I still think it a premium RPG experience, also it's the only time they get to enjoy the BIG Citadel experience (which I genuinely love, I guess ME3's is pretty big as well), and other little things.

The story is great, and the ending awesome. And it adds that much more attachment to the other 2 games.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Makes me wonder why the Salarians had to elevate them to use them as weapons. Did they broker a deal with the Krogans to trade tech for war support? If you're going to use another race as a weapon and have the capacity to inflict something as horrific as the genophage seems like they'd have been able to just air drop krogan hordes into rachni territory as true weapons.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
It's stupid that they made the romances so friggin' simplistic. If talking to the opposite sex politely on a regular basis always led to sex there'd be no MRA movement. There should have been a third rail to explore dialogue neutrally.

Instead, you're in a binary "let's gently caress" / "gently caress you" construct.

I had to stop interacting with James in ME3 during my femShep game because you're like a pick-up artist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I found the N7 Valkyrie to be the best gun on my last play of ME3. It's the really strong assault rifle that fires in 2 bullet bursts.

I was basically just painting everybody's head with it, usually dropped most things in like 2-3 bursts, loved it.

• Locked thread