Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That Reaper thought it could scare her.

They were dead Wong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Count Choculitis posted:

I think I love you. :love:

We'll see if that's the case if we play in multiplayer when I keep using the Wong puns!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Emily Wong is back in the wrong place at the Wong time!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rirse posted:

Needs a entry about Nova and the chargeable melee attack.

Also needs to show best weapons.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Boy oh boy. Those endings are as bad as advertised.

Game is fun as hell though, and all the characters are really great. So I dunno what happened at the ending.

Anyone seen if there is a "secret" ending for new game plus like the guide said?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Robzilla posted:

Oh this face cracks me up every time.

masseffect3endings.jpg

Oh, and my war asset report: I was at around 7100 total after completing every mission and importing and making the right choices in-game. I had to play multiplayer to get my EMS over 5000. So I very much think the "best" ending is impossible without multiplayer right now.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Mar 9, 2012

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I hope everyone who played ME2 and misses one of their pets goes down to engineering where Jack used to stay!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DerDestroyer posted:

I apologize if this has already been asked/answered but is there any way to edit galactic readiness to 100%? I just realized in spite of getting something like 6900+ war assets the readiness basically drops me down to 3400 so I can't get the best ending even though I thought I did.

Just play multiplayer for an hour or so and you'll be fine.

Gibbed posted this earlier if you wanna try editing stuff. http://svn.gib.me/builds/masseffect3/

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Blue Kazoo posted:

So I recently acquired an Xbox 360. I previously played ME1 and ME2 on PC, but my computer is at the bottom end of the spec range. I'm leaning towards getting the 360 version, but will not having an old ME2 save to continue from make my gaming experience suck? I'd rather have a good time than perfect graphics.

You will miss a lot of content if you don't transfer saves, and a lot of things are simply impossible without importing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I bought the shotgun at the Spectre shop and loved it. I could carry that, an SMG, and the Carnifex and I had about a bonus of %175 percent recharge. You can get the damage really up there.

I have no idea why you'd want to heavy melee instead of use the shotgun according to that new flowchart. Heavy melee isn't as strong, has a windup time, and you still get the time dilation to line up shots after charging.

For brutes, I'd say charge-nova-rollback-charge-nova-etc. is a better strategy. But you don't always want to nova in groups.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DrNutt posted:

I'm not sure if it's a testament to the awfulness of the endings as given to players by BioWare, or the obtuseness of nearly everyone in this thread, but it's hilarious to me that people keep thinking of this as the "best" ending because Shepard can live.

Because at least then I can make up poo poo to make me happy.

Like so!

All the aliens around earth realize they have a shitload of ships and can go home by putting everyone on a few and using the fuel from the other. It'll be a few years, but eventually they'll all be back home.

The leftover geth who didn't get reaper code are all like "look we never wanted to fight anyway and this Legion dude was chill" so they keep helping the quarians and start building new relays.

Edi kept part of herself in the Normandy systems that was when she was a rogue VI and eventually gets back to being a full AI. Liara still can direct poo poo as the Shadow Broker. Tali remembers she's a loving genius and with Adams and Ken and Gabby they get the ship fixed and head toward Earth. Some of the crew decide to stay and they are assimilated into the locals which leads to the epilogue.

Shepard recovers and is like "I gotta find my space bros" and right when he's ready to go they all show up and then he lives with his/her LI and retires from saving the galaxy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

cranky pomme posted:

Yanno I know people are getting worked up about the ending and that's totally understandable. But I don't have the mental capacity to get too upset because oh my god this soundtrack is so good and I cannot stop listening to it. Say what you want about the plot, but the composers have consistently knocked it out of the park.

The only good thing about the endings is the music.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

No Faunts, no deal. :colbert:

Umm... Faunts has music in the ending.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ash1138 posted:

Staying loyal to Ashley is a goddamn thankless job. SHUT UP ABOUT CERBERUS ALREADY GODDAMNIT. This is why I run with Garrus and Vega and hang out with them and Liara.

I was surprised how much I liked Liara in this game. I didn't like her in ME1, but she was good in Shadow Broker and that carried over to this game extremely well.

Plus she's an awesome squad mate. Tossing out singularities and warps every two seconds.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Are there any spoiler free walkthroughs out? I'm really paranoid about clearing areas because I don't want to miss war assets or anything. Also really unsure about what order to do quests and side stuff..I don't want to get screwed out of missing something.

The best way to avoid getting locked out is to do those things before doing priority missions. So when a side mission pops up, go ahead and do that before doing the next priority one. Priority missions advance the plot and can lock stuff out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Deep Space Hitler posted:

Are there any missions like the suicide mission in me2 where you have to do them asap or you get a worse outcome?

No. But missions can be missed if you don't do them soon enough.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DerDestroyer posted:

Interesting observation, the endings are color coded to your alignment.

No they're not.

Destroy is the paragon choice, as represented by Anderson. And it's red.

Control is the renegade choice, as represented by TIM. And it's blue.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Why in the blue gently caress would they do that? What the hell is that supposed to imply? It sounds really dumb.

Why would they do anything with the endings they did? It's all dumb.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

mistermojo posted:

Can someone tell me the general quality of the side missions?

I did two of them so far (defusing a bomb and arming the artillery) and they were very short and pointless, is that what I can expect?

Also some of the missions say N7, or Citadel, does that mean those missions are on the ship or citadel or is that just where they started?

N7 missions are on the multiplayer maps and sort of play out like them. Citadel missions mean they came from the Citadel or are finished there, and those involve finding items on missions (or buying them from the Spectre terminal if you miss them) or scanning planets or running around the Citadel itself.

The true side missions are better, though there are only three (or four if you get From Ashes).

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

Welp I just finished Priority: Tuchanka.

I was worried that nothing in ME3 would be able to compare to Lair of the Shadow Broker. It would seem I was wrong.

Man I don't even know how that mission is supposed to hash out with Wrex (and Mordin for that matter). Fortunately I don't have to worry about that since I've never killed Wrex.

A lot of the missions are on par with Shadow Broker, I think. The game is really amazing with the gameplay and character interactions. Then the last 5 minutes kill it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nelson Mandingo posted:

You know I'm watching these Femshep videos in ME3 and while Jennifer Hale is a great actress, I think Mark Meer hulked out on actor juice and did a much better job.

I can't compare since I haven't seen much of Femshep, but Meer definitely put in a great performance. As the game goes along and you can see the weight and pressure Shepard is under, the delivery matches. And the ending part talking to TIM and where you have a short conversation with Anderson while sitting on the Citadel before he dies was just great acting all around with every party.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Markkei posted:

I chose to continue my Liara romance and thought that was satisfying as well. The gift scene was really touching. How are the other romances?

I did the Tali romance and I liked it. Lots of extra moments added to some parts of the game, and really funny party banter on the first priority mission with her concerning it.

The scene you mentions plays out regardless if you romance Liara and it's touching still, as is the last conversation with her where she shares her memories with you.

Like I said, I'm really surprised how much I liked Liara in the game and will probably follow that romance on another playthrough.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dominic White posted:

Huh - maybe you don't get that option unless you've made certain decisions? The Citadel explains that there's a third option, to change everything, and presents it as a middle road and results in a green wave rippling across the galaxy.

You get the third option by having a higher EMS rating. If you don't get a certain level, you don't get that option.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Brainamp posted:

It helps if you have a high readiness percentage rating as well.

Your EMS is after factoring the readiness. So you can have assets totaling 6000, but if your readiness is 50%, your EMS is 3000.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Ugh..so I'm at the first area of the game before the priority mission on Surkesh and I'm trying to do the little citadel quests where you go to clusters and look for stuff. The problem is that a good chunk of them, like the shrike system, have reapers. Do I just have to wait until they leave or do I have to play keep away with the silly space bugs if I want my extra assets?

When you go to a Reaper controlled system you won't be chased immediately. Only after scanning do you raise their awareness and they chase you. You can escape by leaving the system or taking a relay out. After you complete a mission you can go back and it resets their awareness.

And so everyone knows, docking at the Citadel refuels the Normandy so if you don't wanna pay you can do that.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dominic White posted:

For the record, I managed to get high enough EMS to get that particular ending option without touching multiplayer at all.

Giving it a little more thought:
Also, seriously - anyone who thinks that any ending that involves killing off the Geth and walking out unharmed is the Paragon ending, simply because the cutscene shows Anderson hasn't been paying attention through the story. Even Tali was ready to wipe out the Geth, because good people can make bad calls.

Your mistake here, concerning the ending, is you're assuming Shepard has the geth, and you think Shepard is walking out unharmed. Shepard is going to die in all of the endings (the only way to save Shepard is completely unrelated to the plot and a gameplay mechanic) so that doesn't matter.

But frankly, the endings are so bad and poorly implemented that it's not worth arguing them because each of them is full of plot holes and you don't know what exactly happens with each choice anyway.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Aberrant posted:

Anybody know how to edit my Paragon score/decrease renegade? I think I got two points of renegade by buying those marines in Purgatory a drink with James and now I can't select the last loving paragon coversation for the illusive man! :argh:

Your checks are decided by your total reputation, not your renegade/paragon score. My bar at the end was about 95% paragon and I could choose any renegade option if I wanted to.

As always, choosing the passive that buffs your reputation is the way to go.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Eejit posted:

Two things:

1: I wasn't aware Shep lived in all three choices. I thought he could only live with the renegade choice. The paragon choice explicitly states self-sacrifice and the synthesis choice seems to show him dying too. Can anyone confirm survival through the paragon and synthesis endings?

No, you misunderstood, Shepard dies in all of the choices. You can only save Shepard by choosing destroy and having an EMS of 4000 or 5000 depending on if you save Anderson. Shepard effectively dies in all of the endings except for that specific set of circumstances, which is just a gameplay mechanic. Shepard doesn't know that they can survive a certain option because their score is 5000. You as the player know that. So saying that Shepard knows they'll walk away in one ending is incorrect, because as far as the character knows, they're gonna die no matter what.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Unnamed One posted:

Finished it. Decided to choose Control, but probably because I knew the Relays explicitly blow up in the other endings, while in this one it's somewhat ambiguous.

The stupid kid explicitly says that the mass relays are destroyed when the Crucible fires. The relays blow up in every ending.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Unnamed One posted:

I try to go by video evidence. In Control we see some damage occur, but never blowing up, unlike in Destroy and Synthesis.

I know I'm jumping through some hoops, but it's not like Bioware formed any sort of closure with this.

You're looking at videos and not going by what is told to you in no uncertain terms happens.

But that's okay, because everyone else is making up their own endings too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DerDestroyer posted:

In short, gently caress you Bioware. These endings are a slap to the face and are the worst thing a writer can do in video game fiction. The only thing that would make them worse is if it turns out it was all a dream.

Actually, it would be better if it was all a dream.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Oh no! Tali Just killed herself by leaping off a cliff after I upgraded the geth, and I was too slow on the interrupt to save her.gently caress that, I'm replaying from my last save to see if I can save her. Though the Wiki says you can make peace between Geth and Quarians, but I cannot figure out how to do that

You need to have met a certain number of goals and have imported an ME2 save with them and/or do certain things in ME3. If you didn't import an ME2 save, it's impossible.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Its an imported ME2 save that I rewrote the Heretics programing and such.

Then you might be in trouble.

You need at least 5 points and high rep.

Destroying the heretics: +2
Rewriting: 0
Tali not exiled: +2
Peace between Legion and Tali in ME2: +1
Complete the sidequest with the crashed quarian admiral: +1
Saved the admiral: +1

If you didn't activate Legion or Tali was exiled, peace isn't possible.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Everything on that list I did except destroying the heretics. Tali was not exiled, I made peace between she and Legion, and saved the Admiral. If I can't catch the interrupt this time, I'll just take the easy option.

You need high reputation as well, which I think is four bars. You should have the option at the start on the left.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

And for everyone who missed a mission but kept going: if you didn't save Grissom Academy, on the last Cerberus mission you'll fight a Phantom that's named Jack.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm glad the endings are so universally reviled and it just isn't the creepy fanbase. I hope it puts pressure on them to fix it.

I just don't even know how they can look that over in the first place and go "that's great! Everyone will love it!" It's like writing a story then passing it over for someone else to finish and they go in a completely different direction.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

nwin posted:

So is there no consequence for the reapers catching your ship? I got a game over screen and then it loaded me right back where I was, sans reapers.

That's your consequence!

Really, only planets are gonna have things. Fuel is gonna be randomly around. It's really just easier if you scan like a madman until caught, then when the save reloads you know where everything is. It makes scanning much quicker.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

kevdude posted:

I read a few posts saying that (ending spoiler regarding war score) in order to have Shepard live if you choose the destroy ending, you need 5k war score. This is not true. I went in with 4.1k, chose destroy, and he lived.

Yes, it is true.

If you have 4000 and you save Anderson, you get the Shep lives ending. If you don't save Anderson you need 5000 EMS.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

astr0man posted:

So which shotgun do people prefer for vanguards?

I bought the Wraith and enjoyed that. It's a more powerful Eviscerator, but lighter and only one less shot before reloading.

But really, what I found is go with the guns that you have fun with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Overheating wouldn't have worked with the biotic charge strategy, therefore is terrible.

• Locked thread