Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
opblaaskrokodil
Oct 26, 2004

Your morals are my morals. Your wishes are my code.
Anyone having any luck buying the DLC if you didn't already have it? I'm just getting an error each time :(
Damnit EA, let me give you money!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opblaaskrokodil
Oct 26, 2004

So, what's the deal with buying the DLC? Do I have to do it via Origin? (PC)

I'm trying, and it keeps just telling me there's an error when I press the "Buy Now" button...

edit: what the fuuuuuuuuck I load up an older save game and I'm level 1 with no money (or fuel for the ship for that matter). :mad:
well, at least I had a save from not that far before that, where I still have my stuff.

opblaaskrokodil fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 8, 2012

opblaaskrokodil
Oct 26, 2004

Sighhh... I really wanted to play this game again in a sense, but I feel so completely drained of desire to do so after that terrible ending (and yes, I had over ~5500 War Assets).

I'm a big loving sap, but I just want my happy ending where the galaxy survives (yeah OK lots of people died, but it gets back to normal and stuff over time) and if I do all the things right, then all my crew + Shepard survives, live happily ever after, yada yada. Mass relays not destroyed, citadel not destroyed (I guess move it back to where it was)... kind of conceptually like the galaxy was before the reapers ever showed up, except better off because a) Shepard did a bunch of good as part of uniting the galaxy and b) the Reapers aren't about to show up.

I have no problem with it being really tough to get that ending, such that I have to do everything right. poo poo, I'd even go back and play ME1 and ME2 in order to make the right decisions to do it.
I could tell myself that the ending in the game isn't the "real" one, but it's just not the same to do that :(

Also Illusive Man: what the gently caress was up with the illusive man? Indoctrinated, OK, but what was the surgery he was referring to in the video and have no anesthesia? I thought it meant he'd transferred himself to a robot or something, and maybe that's what was up with his face at the end? (I figured that was the result of indoctrination, rather than some roboticness).

Considering I've played 0 online FPSes in the past, and generally don't like doing things in co-op situations, it's a sad fact that I actually have more desire to continue playing multiplayer (I did it to get the "good" ending - what a loving farce) some more than to go play singleplayer again.

e: for reference, I played through ME2 dozens of times :/. I'll probably do a second playthrough of ME3 sometime up through like the start of the Cerberus Mission just so I can see the renegade options (full paragon as my first run through), but I can't see myself ever playing the earth invasion part again.

opblaaskrokodil fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 10, 2012

opblaaskrokodil
Oct 26, 2004

ThePutty posted:

I don't know, I haven't played ME3 yet but I know of the ending. In a way, I think the entire idea of defeating the Reapers ultimately undermines their entire character. They're set up as an amazingly technological, indefeatable race that's continued their cycle for a countless amount of years. By defeating them with the "crucible" which I assume is a deus ex machina weapon, it shatters their character completely by reducing them to braindead villains who even though managed to wipe out all organic life for a billion years, couldn't even foresee the oldest trick in the book throughout sci fi endings. I would have had ME3 end in a way that satisfies yourself and the actions you've taken, but also gives patronage to the Reapers as an unstoppable force. Maybe people don't care about the Reapers enough to have survived, but I genuinely didn't want Shepard to beat the Reapers, I wanted the Reapers to beat Shepard, but didn't manage to stop him.

I haven't played the game yet though, so maybe it's handled better with a clearer context.

But it was set up that (plot spoilers including specific endgame dialogue spoilers) galactic civilizations have been working on and improving the crucible, such that each successive civilization (so long as the chain isn't broken) has a greater chance of defeating the Reapers. Also keep in mind, due to the Protheans' meddling, the Reapers were showing up significantly later than they usually would have - again, increasing the odds of the Reapers losing.
Basically, there are several factors that have been put through the game as being evidence that this cycle could be the end of the Reapers. Back before ME3 came out, I thought it might be kind of cool to have an ending where the Reapers win (and maybe I'd even have picked it for some runs), but I have to say now that I just found it incredibly unsatisfying that on my paragon, save everyone, everything goes right, etc. run, I can't end it that way.

Also the crucible was something that was built. It wasn't something "unforeseen" specifically by the Reapers in the way they're designed - the catalyst specifically mentioned that the crucible changed him, and that's why the choices are possible whereas before they weren't possible.

opblaaskrokodil
Oct 26, 2004

I think part of the problem with the kid thing is that I just didn't care about the kid. Good god, Shepard's seen so many people die, including people he was close to, and lots of other children.

Also end spoiler: I totally agree with whoever said that the Catalyst, if you imported a save that went back to ME1, should've been whoever died on Virmire

opblaaskrokodil
Oct 26, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I am reminded. Is Commander Shepard's mother ever referenced if they're alive (based on your backstory)? You'd think that might get actual important resolution considering Shepard's having space PTSD the entire time.
Yes, at least for the background I was using (spacer) she's working for Admiral Hackett - you never actually meet up with her or anything

opblaaskrokodil
Oct 26, 2004

Aristobulus posted:

Large quantity of text
Hm, where did you find (ME2 NPC) Aethyta? I never ran into that character :(.

On the whole, I totally agree with what you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opblaaskrokodil
Oct 26, 2004

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

ending:

Do you even get to talk to the kid during the ending, or is it non-interactive?

You get
one line IIRC. Paragon Shepard says something about how people have no hope if they have no future, and the kid says something about how people don't need hope.
I can't bring myself to do the whole last section, which takes like half an hour (can't save during it...) just in order to go through that fuckery again, so someone else can mention the renegade side...

• Locked thread