Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:
Does anyone else have the bug where, if a character has any sort of defensive power (defense matrix, barrier, fortification and presumably tech armor as well), that you immediately go in to a super long cooldown when you load a save?

This basically means that if you die in a fight, and restart from a save, you can't use any powers until the cooldown has ended. Which puts you at a distinct disadvantage from the beginning of the fight.

You don't even need to put any points into the power, simply having it at rank 0 triggers the bug. Replacing a defensive bonus power with a "normal" one instantly fixes it.

All characters with defensive powers in the game seem to be affected. I have 0 points in EDI's defense matrix power, but every time I load I have to wait 10 seconds or so until I can use any of her powers.

edit:

magimix posted:

Bah! To hell with those heavy weapons they leave around the place. :argh: In every single boss-rush in the game I've done so far, I don't find the heavy weapons until *after* I've cleared the rush. :cry:

Yeah, I have the same problem. But in this specific case, one of the spitfires is directly in front of you as you enter the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

It took me longer than it should have for me to figure out that right before you're able to launch the final two missiles that the Reaper in the background lasers through 90% of the banshees, marauders and cannibals that show up. I think I spent more time at the loading screen than I did actually playing.

Huh, really? Does the Reaper kill them all when he lasers them?

I just said "gently caress it", activated cloak and leisurely strolled over to the button without even attempting to take them all out.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

I found the rocket launcher, used it on the first (single) banshee and then cursed myself a bit later when 3 of them appeared at once.

I also spent a significant part of the fight running back and forth between Garrus and Javik resurrecting one of them only to have the other one die. Cloak is insanely useful sometimes.

I don't know why I didn't just use medigel. I'm so used to conserving it that I kinda forget that I have the stuff.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Bruce Leroy posted:

I've read that you can't get the "perfect" ending on a single playthrough and either need to import a ME 2 or 3 save with a 4000+ EMS rating or need to beat the game again on a new game+ run. Is this true?

How would I know what the EMS rating is for my ME 2 import save?

I'm reasonably certain that there simply aren't enough points in the game to get a EMS of 4000+ without increasing your Galactic Readiness.

At 50% you'd need 8000 points, and there's only 8635 total points in the game, of which quite a few are mutually exclusive. From what I can tell everyone's attempts to maximize TMS top out at around 7000 points.

You can't really tell how many points you'd get from an import without tallying up all the effects your choices have, and I don't think anyone has made a comprehensive list yet.

ME3 NG+ imports don't give you extra points.

You could just use a save editor to give yourself extra points though.

edit:

Banjodark posted:

You may want to raise your galactic readiness level to at least 70% through multiplayer to ensure you're beyond 4,000+ points, but you don't even need to really do that if you do every single side-quest and a large batch of scanning.

Getting a Total Military Strength of 6000+ isn't difficult at all, but an Effective Military Strength of 4000 isn't possible without doing multiplayer (as fas as I can tell).

dwazegek fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 27, 2012

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Eh, it's no big deal, there's only minor variations in the endings anyway and the only endings you can't get without increasing galactic readiness are the 2 "Shep lives" endings, both of which amount to 5 seconds of extra footage that you could also just view on youtube.

And there's also the possibility that future DLC might add enough assets to push you over the 8000 point boundary.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Nucular Carmul posted:

edit: doing Mass Effect 1 so I can have a Shepard named Lola

:psyduck:

Allowing Jimmy to call me that was the worst decision I ever made.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

It also means that you'd have to center a playthrough around James in order to get the most out of it.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

magimix posted:

I feel like there should be some manner of emoticon too.

I think we've got enough ME smileys already.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Paino posted:

Do ME3 side missions only involve collecting stupid artifacts from planets and killing hordes of Cerberus dudes in sepia-toned/rocky desolate planets?

This game is the DA2 of Mass Effects, and it makes me so sad.

The N7 missions are pretty much that, the other side missions (Grissom Academy, Jacob's Merry Mutineers, etc) are a bit more involved.

That said, the squad mate interactions in (or after) side missions are better than they were in ME2, and the missions themselves aren't as disconnected from the main story, so I'm quite OK with it.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

magimix posted:

I should probably review the list sometime, to get a feel for the balance of 'types' of mission. Assuming any mission that doesn't have 'Priority' at the start of its name is a side mission, then its a mix of N7s (the 5 that use the MP maps), collectathons, and the more meaty stuff (Grissom, etc). I'd be curious to see the numbers.

6 N7 missions
8 Side missions
And a whole bunch of collection stuff.

And there's the 2 minor missions on the citadel if you imported a ME2 save with Kasumi and/or Zaeed alive.

I'm counting the 2 non-priority missions on Rannoch as side missions, because they're not marked as "Priority", and you only need to do one of them in order to advance the plot (and it doesn't matter which one).

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

If you kept the Prejek Paddle Fish alive through ME2 and ME3, you also get a new research upgrade when you start NG+, +10% weapon damage or +10% power damage if memory serves.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Wouldn't that also slow down AR's cooldown? Right now with it maxed and 200% recharge it's up in like 2 seconds, I use it all the time.

The way cooldowns are calculated, combined with the massive amount of cooldown bonuses you can get, means that the 60% or 30% penalty can be barely noticeable.

For example, with a 30% penalty, my vanguard's charge cooldown goes from 2.7 seconds to 2.9, a 60% penalty would give me 3.2 seconds.

edit:

Burning Mustache posted:

Oh and the Raptor sniper rifle is pretty much the single best gun I've found for the Soldier. It's like a scoped Mattock, except with a higher rate of fire and even more accurate. You can fire as fast as you can click and it basically has an instant reload. I mostly ran with that and, incidentally, the N7 Hurricane SMG modded to be practically weightless and with a ridiculously large magazine capacity for close encounters, and just used the Raptor for everything else.

I've been using the raptor (as only weapon) on my vanguard, it's pretty drat awesome.

dwazegek fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 27, 2012

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Only yesterday I learned about tech detonations, why didn't I know about them earlier? :stare:

I knew you could detonate incediary, cryo and biotic powers, but wasn't aware that you could do the same with overload. The cryo and incendiary stuff feels gimmicky and biotic detonations are old news, but tech detonations are really useful and completely trivialized a couple of fights.

In other news, I also found my hamster :3:

JackMackerel posted:

Why the heck were the Vindicator and Mattock nerfed this time around? Even the M8 had more viable firepower against random Reaper rushes, unlike the Vindicator.

Granted, I was playing a soldier.

The Mattock was (intentionally) incredibly overpowered in ME2. The whole firepower pack was basically just a collection of really powerful weapons intended for people who had already finished the game so they could gently caress around with awesome gear, balance be damned. Including it as-is in ME3 would make almost all other ARs superfluous.

The vindicator did seem really sucky in ME3 compared to the ME2 variant though. There are some other weird changes (the viper sniper rifle is really fast firing in ME2, in ME3 it's quite slow, the ME3 raptor feels more like the ME2 viper).

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Elysiume posted:

Playing ME1 is blowing my mind. Tons of skills? Massive amounts of weapons? Weapon mods? Ammo mods? The sniper crosshair has massive play? :psyduck:

Massive amounts of identical or nearly identical weapons.

Is it at all possible to interrupt an Atlas' or banshee's insta-kill grab attacks in single player? The only time I die is when I'm unable to get out of a banshee's range in time.

I managed to prevent one of my squad mates from dying by setting of a biotic detonation while a banshee was holding her, but I've never managed to save myself.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Elysiume posted:

I actually like ME2's way a lot more. Far fewer weapons, but the differences are more than statistics.

ME3 is also good in this regard. Sure, there are some weapons that could've been scrapped and some DLC weapons make the "normal" weapons redundant, but overall there's quite a bit of variety.

One complaint I do have is that certain weapons are only made available really late in the game (e.g. the locust and saber), so I don't get to mess around with them as much as I'd like. I'll probably just add them with the editor in future playthroughs though.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Sombrerotron posted:

Arguably, that's what NG+ is for this time round.

True, but I just don't really see the point in replaying the game again using the same ME1 and 2 decisions and the same class.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

The Particle Rifle was the only real fuckup in terms of weapons, it makes ALL the other ARs look stupid in comparison, especially for squadmates who don't care about weight. You might give something like a Saber or an Argus to Ash/Garrus who only use the AR for close combat, but otherwise...

The Particle Rifle should have been restricted to Javik alone, IMO.

Huh, I only tested it on the shooting range and completely dismissed it. It seemed interesting enough, but ultimately not very useful. Guess I'll have to revisit it some time.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Geostomp posted:

Hey, what's the best bonus power for a Vanguard? So far I've been rolling with Carnage, but I'd like a second opinion.

Any defensive power is good, especially if you're making heavy use of nova. The cooldown penalty is barely noticeable.

I want to like inferno grenade as it has no cooldown, so it seems like a good fit. But every time I've tried using it I was anything but impressed by its damage.

Dark Channel is an interesting choice as it jumps targets if you kill its initial target, so you can set off multiple biotic detonations with it. But you might as well have squad mates set them up for you instead.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Just set off a biotic, tech and cryo detonation with one nova :black101:

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

And only planets have anything useful. Stuff found floating around is always fuel, and seeing as you can get a full tank for free just by docking at the citadel, there's no real reason to scan anything except the planets.

Although finding everything so you get 100% on a system/cluster does make it easier to ensure you didn't miss anything.

edit:
The following clusters DON'T have anything in them, all other clusters do (although not always every system in each cluster has something).

Annos Basin
Far Rim
Horsehead Nebula
Kepler Verge
Ninmah Cluster
Perseus Veil
Petra Nebula
Serpent Nebula
Shadow Sea

dwazegek fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 28, 2012

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Also it's really neat how characters move around, I just talked with Cortez on the Citadel after I persuaded him to take some time off. Is there any sort of rhyme or reason to these things (like, they 'update' after each mission, or whatever) or am I doomed to running around the Normandy/Citadel forever trying to catch all of these moments?

The Citadel only really changes a few times, once after Palaven, and again after the Cerberus attack on the Citadel. There are a few conversations to be had with Ash/Kaidan, so you might want to go back once every while to do those.

The Normandy changes after each mission (even side missions, and certain characters will comment on side mission stuff). But it doesn't take long to just run past each deck.

WarLocke posted:

edit: Also, I've found a bunch of weapon mods on missions, do I still need to buy ones from vendors or are there enough to max out just from finding them (ie, can you find 5x a particular mod or is it more of a 'you can find 2 pistol barrels + there are 3 to buy from vendors' thing)?

There's exactly 5 of each mod. 3 can be found, 2 can be bought. Just check the Normandy's requisition computer after each mission to see if the shops have updated.

edit:

skoolmunkee posted:

With the mods you have to buy them and find them. You can only get to level 5 in the first playthrough.

Mods don't go any further than 5, even in NG+.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

magimix posted:

So what is the pay-off if you have both the writings and the license? On my own run, I only had the writings.. Still, got a sweet 1-point boost to my military strength :3:

+3 war assets.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

HoveringCheesecake posted:

Regarding the statement that only planets only having anything useful: doesn't the wreckage of Arcturus Station have a Shadow Broker upgrade? I think that isn't the only non-planet upgrade/scan in the game, but I'm not really sure.

Yeah, it does. It's highlighted on the map though, so I didn't count it as just floating around.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Just finished my first insanity run. Had an easier time playing insanity vanguard than hardcore infiltrator.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

I only really had ammo troubles with my ME2 infiltrator, because the temptation is pretty high to just sit in cover in one position and take out enemies with the sniper rifle.

Basically, the game encourages you to stay mobile.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

The cutoff is when you assault Cerberus' headquarters.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Cart Mountain posted:

Do you know if I could go back to any save that I had during that mission and change it, or would I have to do it before I even start that mission?

I've never tested it, but from what I've heard, it's set when you start the mission.

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

If you unlock a bonus power in one playthrough are they unlocked across all playthroughs? I want to use one of my ME2 savefiles (which has one virmire survivor), but I also want Reave as a bonus power...

Across all playthroughs.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Elysiume posted:

I know that LotSB is pretty much geared for after you hit the Omega 4 relay. When are Kasumi and Overlord aimed for?

LotSB really doesn't matter, and seeing as it gives a whole bunch of upgrades, you might as well do it as soon as possible. The only thing that changes if you do it after the end game is a few lines of dialogue when you invite Liara up to your cabin.

You can also just do the entire mission as soon as it's available, grab the upgrades and only invite Liara up after the end game, that way you get the best of both worlds.

Overlord really doesn't matter.

Kasumi I'd do as soon as possible, especially if you're playing a class that uses SMGs, as the locust is drat useful to have.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Elysiume posted:

So you can just do it before the Omega 4 relay, wait, and invite her up after you hit the Omega 4 relay?

Yep.

404notfound posted:

What changes if you invite her up after the end of the game? Are there any other missions in ME2 that take the end into account?

As far as I know the only other mission that changes is Arrival. The most noticeble change is that if you do it pre-omega 4, you converse with a hologram of the collector general, if you do it post-omega 4, then you get a Harbinger hologram.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

magimix posted:

Haven't tried Defensive Drone yet - would be interesting to have a build that can put *three* active elements into the field at a time :shepface: Engineers are so loving awesome. They were always a clsoe second after the Adept, but in ME3 they close the gap even further (and thats saying a lot, because Adepts got amped the gently caress up in ME3 too).

Take Tali with you, 4 drones and a turret!

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Elysiume posted:

"Shepard can also invite Liara aboard the Normandy for a tour of the ship and to catch up. If Shepard refuses to have Liara come aboard the Normandy, she will sadly accept the refusal. When walking away she will stop to look at the Commander, only to have the Commander not look at her." That sounds like a downer. What actually changes if you invite her up after you hit the Omega 4 relay compared to before?

Going from memory here, so this might be off. There's some dialogue about how Shep feels about the upcoming suicide mission and the collectors, which changes to how Shep feels about the impending Reaper invasion if you do it after the relay.

It's a pretty minor change, but the general consensus is that the stuff about the Reaper invasion seems more fitting.

You could get both dialogue pretty easily though, if you just save the game, invite her up before the relay, then revert to that save, do the relay and then invite her up again.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Mattock + scope = poor man's semi-auto sniper rifle. :zaeed:

Then again Mattock + scope + Adrenalin Rush = gently caress you, you're dead. Might not be quite as effective with classes that can't go slo-mo.

If you're going to slap a scope on the Mattock, you might want to look into the Raptor sniper rifle. It's basically the same weapon, with comparable damage, firing rate, clip size and weight, but it already comes with a scope, so you don't have to use a mod slot to add one.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Elysiume posted:

Oh, so it doesn't really change that much if you do it before. Are there any effects for the longer term story if you do it before or after? If there's no actually story changes, I'll invite her up early on because quite honestly there's a chance I'll forget in the 20+ hours between LotSB and hitting the Omega 4.

Not that I'm aware of. There's a couple of LotSB references in ME3, but I don't remember seeing anything referencing Liara's visit, let alone when that visit took place.

WarLocke posted:

^^^: I'll keep that in mind. I'm on my first playthrough and at Priority: Sur'Kesh, so not sure where/when I'll get one of those. But my MO tends to be to pop out of cover with Rush going, scope in on some fools and pop-pop-pop take off their heads. :black101:

I think you get it on Sur'Kesh :v:

One possible downside to it is that its zoom is probably a bit stronger than the AR scope's so you might have bit more tunnel vision with it.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Every time I start thinking all the callbacks are going to start feeling all fanwanky, another one pops up and :iia:.

I think the only callbacks that felt overdone to me are the four or so mentions of Garrus' calibrations.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Is there any real point to kicking Diane Allers of the ship? Aside from being annoyed by her, I mean.

It seems that you only stand to benefit from having her around as her reporting is the source of a number of war assets.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Red Baron posted:

I was planning on just doing as many non-priority missions as I could between priority ones, is that a good plan?

Yes. Like Lord Hydronium said, certain missions have to be done within a certain period, otherwise they auto-fail, but this is never really an issue, unless you do priority missions first. E.g. Grissom Academy will fail if you wait 3 missions but the only way to get to that 3 mission limit is to do priority missions.

If you want to be certain to get everything, just do non-N7 side missions first, then N7 missions, then priority missions. Make sure to do all available scanning stuff *before* you do priority missions, and visit the citadel to turn them in.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

funakupo posted:

I kept wondering why for 2x plays I haven't seen any of these conversations with Gabby and Ken that lead to you being able to support Gabby in a conversation choice. Turns out it is looking for an Ashley flag and I have not done any runs yet with Ashley alive.
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/325/index/10147092/2

Huh, I was wondering why I got so much more dialogue from them in my second playthrough. I figured I just managed to miss it, even though I made sure to do a complete run through the Normandy after each mission.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

magimix posted:

Man, that bums me out. In my first playthrough I *could* have had that banter, but just missed it. I was keen to rectify that in my second playthrough. This Kaidan-romancing FemShep. :doh: Oh well, there is always playthrough three or four.

Have you found the hamster yet? :3:

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

magimix posted:

I certainly have :3: The OCD RPGer in me ensures that I scour every inch of every location, so once the smoke cleared after the opening missions, I went over the Normandy with a fine-toothed comb.

I generally do to, my first priority after getting the Normandy was restoring my collection of model ships. But because the hamster moves around I managed to miss it (I guess I wasn't paying attention to the sound either). I only found it because Javik decided to take a stroll to the basement at some point, otherwise I never would've visited that part of the ship again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

Is the engineer's turret on a separate cooldown timer? I'm asking because it strikes me as odd that all the other classes get a cooldownless power, but as far as I can tell, the engineer doesn't.

• Locked thread