Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Raphael Sbarge (Kaidan) is being interviewed right now on BiowareTV: https://www.livestream.com/biowaretv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
RIP Emily Wong! :cry:

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Pharmaskittle posted:

Sorry to interrupt tertiary NPC/punching bag chat but how do I make my ME2 save file work with this game? Just the save file, I didn't keep the game installed.

If you are on PC, http://www.masseffect2saves.com/import.php do steps 1-5.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

On PC, follow steps 2-5: http://www.masseffect2saves.com/import.php

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

For anyone who's downloaded or uploaded a save from masseffectsaves / masseffect2saves, what can I possibly do (with 0 coding skills and only very basic html skills) to get people to read the front page, especially the stuff that's highlighted bright yellow, to understand how to import their saves? Maybe this is just a general "people hate to read things" problem but I started a message board and posted this answer clearly, I have the answer highlighted in yellow on the front page, I'm going nuts answering the same questions over and over.

Also, thanks to the jerk who emailed me with spoilers to ME3. They were trying to be "Helpful" but I saw poo poo I really didn't want to know before I closed the email. I'm at the point where I just want to stop checking email and go invisible on IM and leave the masses to their stupidity. :(

*edit* having someone with a PC copy taking a few screenshots for me so I can do a proper ME3 import walkthrough would probably be helpful as well. My PC copy isn't arriving til Thursday.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Mar 6, 2012

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Lame. How so?

No pc gaming, but thanks for the suggestion.

You can import saves to the 360, also.

http://masseffectsaves.com/xbox.php
http://masseffectsaves.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15

Nobody's figured out PS3 yet but it might not be possible.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

floor is lava posted:

Most games have encrypted saves on the ps3.

Yeah that's what I keep getting told, I found a site that says they have transferred save files for other games, not having much luck finding people to help me test what they did for PS3. Everyone keeps asking me but when I ask them help out they never get back to me. :v: I don't have a PS3 and am not going to get one so, oh well.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Darth Freddy posted:

What if you don't have a M2 folder? I got the pc game because I needed it now now right away but played the first two on the 360. Any way to import choices yet?

Just create them yourself. Look at the pictures in link and just make the folders like that.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I updated the masseffect2saves.com PC import walkthrough for ME3.

http://www.masseffect2saves.com/import.php

Feel free to refer people here who keep asking how do I make savegame.

You can import saves to the 360, also.

http://masseffectsaves.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Jiro Kage posted:

Has anyone heard anything about a saves database for me3? I moved and sold my old computers but didn't save my games, but I'd like to start with something close to my main me2 save which had my me1 games imported, too.

Edit: oh, the old site has them now? Sweet.

I own masseffect3saves.com (and run masseffectsaves/masseffect2saves.com) but I was going to wait until I finish ME3 myself so I know what the database needs to look like. Please don't tell me, I don't want spoilers. It might be a week or two until I finish the game at this rate between my actual job and all the work running the site right now is.

M6thrXeat posted:

Thanks whoever started hosting Mass Effect saves.

You're welcome. :D

Oh yeah, and I'm pretty psyched that the site got mentioned yesterday on The Escapist and Rock Paper Shotgun along with about a half dozen other places!

Annakie fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 7, 2012

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Birudojin posted:

For what it's worth, your mass effect save sites have been a huge asset to me personally for grabbing new saves without needing to play through ME1 and ME2 every time we need a new one. We can fake and hack a lot of it internally, but having a ready pool to pull from is great.

Knowing that in some small way I helped contribute to the Mass Effect universe is basically one of the most awesome things I have ever heard in my life. Thank you so much for letting me know. Really. :D

*edit* I've always thought that since nobody from Bioware ever told me to shut the site down that at least you guys didn't MIND it existed, to know it was actually being used and helpful to Bioware is, well, amazing.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 7, 2012

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

It's rare for one person's site to provide such utility for so many people. :cheers:

In just the last 6 days over 86k Mass Effect 2 saves have been downloaded. I don't have time to go add up the numbers (and there are a couple of gaps in the data), but if I had to guess, between the two sites since I launched them a couple of weeks before ME2 went live, probably about 750k - 1m saves have been downloaded.

And it's all because of you goons annoying me with your constant asking for save files in the thread that it started. Then spreading it around the internet after it went live. :v: I was planning on just hosting like a dozen to shut people up, now look at it, haha.

Annakie fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 7, 2012

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

PunkBoy posted:

That's awesome that even BioWare is using the save site. Annakie is a 25 War Asset.

:blush: Thanks!

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

coyo7e posted:

I hope you're at least getting some ad revenue or something, to balance the hosting costs. :)

I put ads on the site about two years ago after running off donations for the first couple of months. I tried hard to make them as few and unobtrusive as possible while still earning enough to make the sites pay for themselves. (Domains with ID protection, yearly bandwidth/hosting costs, Flickr account for thousands of screenshots the fangirls love to use, giving a bit to my developer friend for the databases and upkeep, etc.)

Last year when traffic was steadily low I still managed to pay off all the related costs of the sites and maybe made... $100 or so. Last month, this month and maybe next month will be huge and I'll hopefully make enough to pay for like 2 or 3 more years of the site alone. If Bioware decides that ME3 saves will be useful at some point and masseffect3saves.com gets traffic well, that'll take care of another couple of years.

So I don't really make money off the sites, especially considering the time it takes to keep them updated, but seeing a few hundred thousand people happy pretty much makes it all worth it.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I already have a N7 hoodie (one of the originals) but I wouldn't say no to a Kaidan Alenko litho autographed by Raphael Sbarge. :swoon:

I'd settle for Garrus / Brandon Keener.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So, can I only ever go above 50% war readiness if I never play MP? Because I have zero desire to play MP.

Have you tried multiplayer yet? There are a lot of us in the thread who were very ughghghgh multiplayer... ugh... until we played multiplyer. Now we love multiplayer. (With goons or friends or other non-pubbies.)

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Riso posted:

The beginning, just like in ME2, is bad mostly because you cannot skip it.

You can shorten it considerably on ME2 if you're on PC by moving a bunch of movie files out of the movie folder then putting them back in when you wake up. I have the list at the bottom of this page:
http://masseffectsaves.com/tweaks.php

Basically you still have to listen to Miranda/TIM talk, then Kaidan/Ash/Liara runs up to you with the Normandy on fire, then you have to run through the Normandy and talk to Joker, and then you go straight to waking up on the Cerberus station by doing this. So it's still a solid 5 minutes, but it cuts about 5-10 minutes out.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

HelloNewman posted:

So I'm a huge idiot and have gone from 360 for Mass Effect 1 to the PC for Mass Effect 2 and now back to the 360 for the 3rd game. Is there any way for me to transfer my save from Mass Effect 2 on the PC to Mass Effect 3 on 360? I'd like to carry over my progress if possible.

http://www.masseffectsaves.com/xbox.php

Avocados posted:

How do you import a Mass Effect 2 save if you don't have it installed on your PC? I formatted a while back and the only thing I took with me was the save file. Where do I place it?

http://www.masseffect2saves.com/import.php

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Mackers posted:

So I just spent like 4 hours wondering why the save I downloaded from Annakie's site wouldn't be recognised in ME3.

I just realised I've been putting the save file in the Mass Effect 3 save directory this whole time :suicide:

I really should make a "List of obvious reasons people might be having issues with their imports" somewhere. Message board, I guess.

It still sounds like there might be reasons saves aren't importing for unexplained reasons but I bet at least 3/4ths of them are this, or they didn't do the folder structure right. And "WHAT? You mean I had to finish ME2 to import the save to ME3?"

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Blue Kazoo posted:

So I recently acquired an Xbox 360. I previously played ME1 and ME2 on PC, but my computer is at the bottom end of the spec range. I'm leaning towards getting the 360 version, but will not having an old ME2 save to continue from make my gaming experience suck? I'd rather have a good time than perfect graphics.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Finished it an hour or two ago.

Hated the ending. Too emotional to make a non :goonsay: post about it right now but... wow that was really terrible and upsetting. Loved most of the rest of the game, though, with a few complaints. Time to go read 130 pages worth of black spoiler bars!

*edit* Just realized exactly how true Kaidan's lines in my custom title are. :v:

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I take a lot of Mass Effect Screenshots. If you want to use any of them for wallpapers or make icons or whatever, that's what they're there for, so feel free. The ME3 collection is here.

There are already 230+ ready made for SA icons from ME1 & 2 here, I'll get around to doing it for ME3 or take requests from what I have already if you want.

I've also been making some videos. So far I just have a "funny Joker lines" vid and the complete Conrad Verner in ME3 (in case you missed a huge chunk of his dialog, which a lot of people do) both here. I also have a set of Kaidan romance centric vids here.

ANNNND I've sent the masseffect3saves.com database design off to my programmer friend, hopefully he has time to work on it soon. If you want to take a look and have any suggestions of things that need to be added, it's here.

I could also use the help of someone at least a little good with graphics as I need a masseffect3saves.com image made (starring default Femshep) for the image on every page of the site. If anyone can help, I will pay $25. AIM AnnakieSA or email annakie at masseffectsaves.com. Thanks! :)

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Banjodark posted:

(heavy me3 spoilers below for like EVERYTHING, you've been warned.)

Recruit Zaeed after the suicide mission, leave him to die during his loyalty.

Zaeed spoiler: You could also do, but fail, his loyalty mission in ME2, and then he dies on his mission in ME3. That way you kill Din the volus, too, I believe.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Yeah, as someone who did, and liked, the Jacob romance in ME2, (except for the priiiiiiiiize part) getting dumped is really disappointing. It's almost like they destroyed what little fanbase the character had on purpose. :(

Now I'm going to have to switch around plots in 2 of my saves so Kaidan is alive but cheated with Jacob, and he's dead in my Garrus romance playthrough just so Shep doesn't turn completely suicidal.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

dkj posted:

Are there any other places to get ME1 saves than masseffectsaves.com?

If there's nothing like you like there, just use gibbed's to fix whatever you don't like on one that's close and use that.

1) get save that's fairly close to what you want
2) import to ME2
3) save game when Shep wakes up at cerberus
4) open save in gibbeds, change plot flags you don't like
5) flag save as "Lived to fight again" in the last tab
6) import ME2 save

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Elysiume posted:

Mass Effect Saves. Pick your romance, then pick the save that has what you want.

I was exploring the ME saves website:
ME1 Decisions That Effect ME2
This list was taken from the Something Awful Forums Mass Effect 2 Thread

:haw:

Also, that list is better formatted than the one on the wiki. Not sure which is better, though. This one's just more readable.

If only the person who runs it was a goon... oh wait, I am. :v:

dwazegek posted:

And masseffectsaves.com is a good idea, but generally only describes the important stuff, so you're still out of luck on the flavor stuff.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get people to include as much as I even ask them to? Most people don't bother to read anything at all... I end up deleting at least half of anything people upload and spend 10 minutes trying to get half of those that I keep readable... :sigh:

Alteisen posted:

I saw that but I don't really understand the process of getting a PC file to work on my Xbox.

Quoting myself here:

quote:

What you'll need:
* Copy of ME2 on your 360
* a USB drive of at least 1 gig
* Modio
* http://masseffectsaves.com/xbox.php - links to everything can be found here

1) Plug your thumb drive into your 360 and format it for 360.
2) Start a new game on 360. To be extra careful, I made this save as close to the Shep I wanted to import as possible (same name, class, background). Save the game when you wake up at Cerberus station.
3) Move the save to your thumb drive.
4) Get the save you want either at masseffect2saves or whatever you already have. Run it through the PC --> 360 converter site. Rename it to Save_0023.xbsav or a similar number.
5) Plug your usb drive into your PC. Open it with Modio. In Modio, right click on the FILE CONTENTS, and then click INJECT FILE and insert your 360 save file. Click on the top-left tab, GENERAL FILE INFO and click REHASH & RESIGN and then click SAVE TO DEVICE (read the bottom two instructions in the walkthrough here: social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/128/index/2277020 for screenshots
6) Plug your usb drive back into your 360 and copy the save back over to your 360.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

WarLocke posted:

Why is there a section for female saves having romanced Miranda on masseffect2saves.com when she's strictly hetero?

Or did I miss something? :tinfoil:

Someone hacked their save so they could do a Miranda/Femshep romance, and it doesn't seem to break the game at all so I left it up there. There's also some MShep/Kaidan ME2 saves up.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Dunno, but I emailed the person when they sent it in and they confirmed that's what they did.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

If you missed the entire Conrad conversation, I made a vid of it here.

Basically AFTER you get the quest for the contaminated medigel from the doctor in the holding area ward, THEN Conrad shows up on the map. They really should have put a medigel right next to him that you had to go get because a LOT of people miss him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

I've been going back and doing a trilogy playthrough the last month or two and as a Vanguard the difference between ME2 and ME3 combat is night and day. I never charged much with my Vanguard in ME2 in the early release days because I just wasn't good at it and died a lot and it made me feel like I was a lovely player. My goal was to charge a lot more when I got to ME2 and although it was better, it felt like a chore half the time and was still really dangerous sometimes. I still ended up liking staying back and using pull and reave (bonus power) better than charging most of the time. Honestly at times I liked ME1 combat a little more than ME2, just for fun powerspamming.

In ME3 it's all charge, all the time and it's always fun and awesome. Plus I found my new favorite gun *ever* (the shotgun looks like a 20's gangster tommygun). It honestly feels like there's just not enough combat in ME3 at times.

• Locked thread