Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

I said come in! posted:

Default Sheperd let Wrex die. Honestly that's all I got, but let's not kid ourselves, Wrex is the best character in the series.

Which is probably also part of why he hasn't been a real squad member ever since. gently caress default Shephard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

jcp982 posted:

This was my initial reaction when I read about the endings before the game came out. Having played through it, I now think more that they made a mistake not providing the option of a reunion of some sort at the end. Or an option closer to a bad rear end action flick. Because I think Mass Effect was really strong at emulating that style - I think they set up certain expectations with the last 2 games - and I can definitely see why some players were like genuinely creeped out once Shepard woke up on the Citadel. A lot of the stuff - with Shepard bloody and burned - was genuinely unnerving to me. It was a genre switch for sure.

What's especially jarring about this is that the ending of Mass Effect is precisely that sort of "just kidding, good guys win" type ending, and the ending of Mass Effect 2 has that "we're going to beat the odds and bring fuckin' everybody home alive" option.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The whole (ending) synthesis thing just feels dumb to me. That kind of transhumanist stuff works in Deus Ex, where it's a pervasive theme in the story, but it feels massively shoehorned into Mass Effect. Honestly they should've just given us the choice between "destroy the reapers" (paragon) and "harness/control the reapers to benefit humanity" (renegade). Then expanded the possible results for the ending by showing slides for squadmates and worlds based on the choices we've made throughout the series, some of which (like some of the Tuchanka/Krogan/Wrex slides) could only be seen with certain choices from prior games. The Fallout thing.

Would many people have been dissatisfied with that?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Noxville posted:

Gosh that anime ninja super assassin is embarrassing for Bioware

And yet the flamboyant spanish elf assassin in Dragon Age was awesome

Perhaps the solution to that guy is making him an elf?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The White Dragon posted:

The solution is to make him a bumbling, likeable, but ultimately evil Antonio Banderas.

Well, I feel like that would work but Bioware's actual solution in Mass Effect 4 is going to be bringing back this guy as also an elf instead. Maybe they used elf cells to regenerate him.

Also, from the ME Wiki page on him: According to the Mass Effect novels, Kai has both Chinese and Russian heritage, with the Chinese being the dominant of the two.

It's like we've regressed to 1960. The red menace is coming!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Skychrono posted:

This is more like "you'll never be able to fly, you don't have wings."

Dying and coming back to life is pretty close!

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

magimix posted:

[1] The shooting in ME1 is way inferior to ME2/ME3, as that game is saddled legacy RPG elements in the form of weapon skills, meaning dice-rolls behind the trigger pull, regardless of what the retical might indicate.

The best of these is how sniper rifles are basically useless until you have like 8/15 points in the Sniper Rifle skill, because until then what your reticle indicates is that Shep has parkinson's disease. Somewhere out there is a guy who went through the game using them on a class that wasn't Infiltrator or Soldier, and that's hilarious.

EDIT: Also I have to add that I have no clue how you crazy people have beaten any of these games 10+ times, I dunno whether it's more absurd to imagine you reading all the dialogue every single time or skipping all the plot stuff because you can't wait to shoot all the Geth for the 20th time

Baku fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fag Boy Jim posted:

The only other possible excuse is that "Hey, maybe Starkid's lying", but even then, wagering the lives of an entire race on a hunch doesn't really sound like a Paragon thing to do.

Well, it's kind of a root problem with the ending that the scenario is so contrived and strange that there's no actual reason to believe the Starchild's telling the truth about anything and it's equally possible jumping into the beam will just incinerate Shephard or shooting the destroy all Reapers console will actually give them all a firmware upgrade.

Shooting a thing at least felt like the option least likely to have a beneficial outcome for the Reapers!!! Or something

• Locked thread