Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

CaptainCarrot posted:

Nope. They're dropped off by shuttles, sometimes directly, and sometimes into a room above you that you can't access, and that's on open maps; on the closed maps, they simply get sent out from the areas you haven't yet reached, or, again, from shuttles. Enemies don't ever come from nowhere, not like Dragon Age 2.

I hate the monster closet design too. Although it isn't as bad as in DA 2 (aside from the more logical teleporting in of enemies, which was in DA 2 really that - teleporting in), where it made planning impossible, because you don't know how many opponents you might fight. You blew your long-CD AoE spells always right before a new wave spawns, thinking the fight is nearly over. At least in ME 3 the CDs are quite short, so it doesn't gently caress you over quite as much if you blew an AoE at the wrong time.

Decius fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Dan Didio posted:

He has some duds occassionally, but pound for pound, Giantbomb in general is a far more reliable source than most other game sites.

Most of the time, yes, but they do have some games they obsess over, tending to dismiss anything else available at the same time (Skyrim, Saints Row 3). Also, they tend to be too forgiving to games of their friends (but the same is true for Eurogamer and games made in UK).

keyframe posted:

Nobody is going to give this game less than 9 out of 10 because that means they will be losing EA ad money.

Or because it is a really good game. At least that's my impression after 5h.

quote:

The most annoying thing in this game is that loving force field thing that takes 5 seconds to walk through right before the bridge room of normandy.

It's actually a hidden loading screen.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

halwain posted:

So to anyone who has played the DLC and with the DLC Squadmate. How important/interesting is it?

I like him a lot, but he isn't really important in the grand scheme. Nor do you get some major insights into the lore. We already knew the Protheans were Imperialistic. Now we hear first-hand how much of a dick they were to less powerful races. And with how much disdain they looked onto Humans, Asari, Salarians, Krogans... the primitive tribal cultures of their time). Javik is a soldier, born after the Reapers started to devastate the Empire, and as such has not much to tell about politics, society or science of the Protheans, much to Liara's dismay. The DLC gives you 50 (and I guess 100 if you do the second mission) points to your Readiness score though.
He definitely has some great lines regarding a lot of things. Also, perfect fit for any Renegade Shepard.

Decius fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 6, 2012

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Cannot Find Server posted:

Does he explain why the Prothean statues in 1 look nothing like he does and he looks so much more like a Collector than what Protheans were thought to look like?

No, not where I am in the game now at least. Although one could construct his comment about "You would have become Prothean" about the question what would have happened if humanity was uplifted 50,000 years ago that every race had the choice to join the Protheans or be wiped out, meaning that "Prothean" means more than just one race. But that's conjuncture. In reality most likely: Bioware didn't care, didn't like the old design.

Decius fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Mar 6, 2012

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Morter posted:

Yeah that's what I was referring to.

So, this is real then? Do players really see that in this game?

Wow...

Thank you for the quick answer.

Yeah it is real. So what? That's what stock photos are for. I'm not happy with the look at all, but I don't really fault Bioware for not going out into the garden and shoot some picture of some female employee and then photoshop it. Or make a 3D model for one photo. I don't know what exactly would "Bioware doing it right" be in this case? Making a 15 minute CGI movie exploring every pore of Tali's face?

Regarding the rest of the "document"
The "the endings are totally similiar to Deus Ex" is incredibly reaching. You plunge the galaxy in a dark age regardless the choice - unlike Deux Ex, where it only happens in one choice.
Second option, you don't merge yourself (you die), the rest of the galaxy merges.
And the third option is also very different, since you again die (or ascend, but you aren't Shepard anymore) and the Reapers are gone until the next cycle. You nor the Reapers rule anything in the galaxy.

Edit: There are some things to criticize (like what the gently caress happens with the hands of people in several cutscenes - they seem to lose the textures, or the import issues or several crashes. Or some story decisions. Or the cliched sop-stuff with the little boy) But that stuff seems incredibly flimsy to complain about.

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 7, 2012

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Best Friends posted:

It is perfectly reasonable to expect an alien race to not look like a pretty human girl. .

I agree, as said, I don't like the look of Tali either, they should have made her far more alien looking, but the complaint is that they took a stock photo and just photoshopped it - and that's what I find a rather weak complaint. If they took a picture of some other woman (maybe bald and black for maximum Talimancer outrage) and edited it heavily the "stock photo photoshop" complaint would be the same, wouldn't it? If it was taken just for Bioware in their studios or if it was taken from a stock photo agency shouldn't be the issue.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

picture

Thanks for the tablebreaking, spoiler picture of something that was posted about 50 times in the thread already (like just last page). Cool thread-reading, dog!

Something is broken with the import function: Kasumi died in her mission because apparently she wasn't loyal, despite me doing her loyality mission in ME 2

Mordiceius posted:

Okay, the DLC companion is A++. I cringed when it was announced but I think the mission to acquire him was quite well handled.

Yeah. I'm the most Paragon boyscout, but I just love his attitude and hate. He is perfect for Renegade Sheps.

Decius fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Mar 7, 2012

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Who are the returning permanent party members? Do they just leave the spaces empty or do they get similar people?

Garrus, Tali, Liara, Kaiden/Ashley. That's it. If they didn't make it through ME 2 (or if you throw Kaiden/Ashley off the Normandy for being shitheads to you) there is no substitute for them. New party members are EDI, Vega, Javik (DLC). All other former party members have cameos as pure NPCs, but Anderson is the only non-permanent party member.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Anal Tributary posted:

I'd love to know what happens if Mordin isn't alive in your game. I didn't import, so I enjoyed the wonders of not-Wrex. Does Mordin have a twin brother too? :v:

You meet his stunt double. Really, it is Mordin with a different name and less personality, like Weav instead of Wrex in ME 2. Same for some other characters too.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I sure hope so. No really, I would pay $15 for a "Kill Harbinger" DLC.

"This costs you, Shepard"

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Capt Happhypants posted:

Wait so are you telling me I don't get a chance to get frisky with Miranda again in ME3? That makes me sad in the pants.

Relationship spoiler You can continue your relationship with her, but she doesn't join you on the ship.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nelson Mandingo posted:

What also kind of bugs me about Synthesis ending is my Shep was a pretty paragon guy these last five years, who stuck to his guns with the mantra that "Organics defining trait is they choose for themselves.", "I'd rather die on my feet than live as a slave", "I won't let fear compromise who I am.", and "I'll win this war and not sacrifice the soul of our species." Even during the final conversation, he explicitly says, people have a right to live and make their own choices. This is a predicament because Synthesis is the only ending where everyone maintains their fundamental right to live, but in doing so Shepard completely takes away trillions of people's personal choice to become synthetic-organic.

Ending spoiler:
Yes, Paragon Shep is for free will and for allowing the synthetics live their life. But I like that she has to make the hard choice. What to choose between being able to keep only to one of your beliefs? Between sacrificing a whole people and one of your friends versus altering away one of the most fundamental things of everyone (their genetic structure) with unknown repurcassions but aboiding a genocide. Since we don't get a good ending anyway I rather like the dilemma.

@ImpAtom: about AI
The game doesn't say AI is inherently evil. Bioware goes out of it's way to show AI that is not inherently evil (EDI, the AI skimming money in ME 1, Legion, the whole mission inside the Geth server. Hell, EDI and Shepard, EDI and Javik, EDI and Legion have several discussions about this topic, including the whole "creator's attributes vs. Resulting AI's attributes". Just because the Reapers/Control and Javik/the Protheans insist on this viewpoint doesn't mean it is the right viewpoint, nor did I get the impression Bioware intended you to walk away with this opinion.

Decius fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 9, 2012

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Ravenfood posted:

So, Collectors/Vega spoilers: His squad was betrayed by a Cerberus agent working with the Collectors. The only drat time Cerberus did something right was fighting the Collectors, but because Bioware needs all of the squadleader type people to have not made mistakes, they get betrayed. By the only organization that's hunting down the very enemies that they're supposedly betraying them to. It just makes Cerberus' goody image in ME2 even weirder, since in ME1 they make sense as a secret rogue black ops group, in ME2 they're just a pro-human militia, and in ME3 they're a cartoonishly evil group of people who have cyber ninjas for some reason.

Collectors/Cerberus
The Collectors paid lots of money and technology for help. Not hard to imagine some guy rather getting rich than keeping with the Space KKK (and it was the Space KKK in ME 2 already, no idea where you get the "goody image in ME 2 from. ME 2 just showed there are good people in Cerberus despite being incompetently evil and your and their goals alligned. But even as Renegade Cerberus was pretty iffy.) Not the first betrayal nor the last.

Decius fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 9, 2012

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Ambiguatron posted:

Ending comments

All three games brutally punish you for choosing the renegade options (except the hilarious joke ones, of course) and in the end, you're given three renegade options. If you played a dedicated paragon character all the way through and showed the galaxy the virtue of peace and love, uniting races against all odds and solving the petty squabbles between the Turians and the Krogan and the Quarians and the Geth, you get to the end and Space God stops you and says "No, your ideals are all wrong, now choose the way you'd like to kill everyone and ruin everything".

I see it differently. Endgame spoiler: It's more "things are desperate, here is a list of compromises you have to make. Choose to give up one of your believes in exchange of keeping trillions alive and their civilizations working in some form: right of life for synthetics, free will for all, ending the cycle. Choose now. You can't have your cake and eat it." I'm ok wit this, but I just wished it was also a happy end for Shepard and the Normandy crew on a personal level.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Imp Boy posted:

That bit was one of my favorites from the game. There are really some excellent moments that flesh out all of the squadmates from previous games, and it makes me wonder what they were thinking with the endings after paying all that attention to the characters that make up the core of the story.

Also, it even gets better, she then makes a drunken call to Javik to tease him about acting all gruff and aloof but actually liking them.
There are many great moments, and many funny ones, a lot of them provided by Joker, Garrus and Vega.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

evilmiera posted:

I didn't however care one bit when Thessia was hit because at that point you've already seen about , by my calculation, 5000 worlds or something as destroyed warzones.

Mid-game-spoiler:
I found the whole beating up themselves Liara and Shepard did over Thessua rather odd. Them not getting the plans for the catalys because of plot-stupidity in regards to Anime-assassin-poo poo Kai Leng didn't change the fate of Thessia. The catalyst would have taken weeks to build, so the same millions would have died anyway. The handful of soldiers defending the outposts died in vain, but that's war. Sure, I understand Liara being sad to see her homeworld burn like Palavan or Earth, but they make it sound as if their failure to stop supersayan Leng was responsible for the dead.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
@Lawlicaust:

Endgame:the Dark Energy had probably the issue that the tech is the reason that Dark Energy builds up, so the savest thing would be bombing every civilization back before they develop FTL, not after. Also, Reapertech would be the major generator of DE, so the whole thing is seriously illogical, even if you assume the DE somehow dissipates in the 50,000 years instead of building up and up.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

DrNutt posted:

It's funny that people in this thread are clamoring that THE BEST ENDING ISN'T POSSIBLE WITHOUT MULTIPLAYER FUCKERS, when it's obvious that BioWare never considered that to be the best ending, by the way the endings themselves are done.

I mean, there's no way an ending where I genocide the Geth and murder EDI is the best simply because Shep can live through it.

When Bioware said the best ending is available without MP they pretty sure meant that Earth is ok and all of your squads survive. Not that Shepard survives, which seems more like an Easteregg with artificially high requirements.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Verloc posted:

Is the $200,000 spectre shotgun worth the purchase price? I wound up rolling with the Scimitar (AKA Michael Flatley's Lord of The Shotguns) pretty much exclusively during my vanguard playthrough but I'm wondering if it's worth saving the big pile of space ducats for it on another playthrough.

I loved it, it is a Widow with a bit less damage, a rather big magazine and 3 shots before reloading. If you intend to spend your time mostly sniping it is great, since you get the real Widow quite late in game (and the reload after each shot nearly makes up for the improved damage).

Edit:Argh, Misread it as sniper rifle not shotgun. No, the shotgun isn't worth the money invested.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What is the point of no return?

Attack on TIM's base

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

randombattle posted:

Not in End03_LondonRedVap.bik everything is vaporized on Earth. It's left a grey wasteland.

And then the relay explodes anyway so it also doesn't matter.

Also the citadel explodes in every ending too.

This only happens if you go in with a lovely EMS score. Only Reapertech/sentinent AI is destroyed by the Crucible, not all tech. The Mass Relay destruction is apparently vented in a way so it doesn't destroy the planets. The Citadel is more of a problem, but the wreckage isn't necessarily that big of a danger and can be removed by the remaining fleet before the bigger part rains down on Earth.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Dominic White posted:

Not sure about the exact way to go about getting that plot branch, but Eve ends up sharing power with Wrex, becoming the wise voice of reason leading the Krogan into a new age.

She also plans to get the females (who are generally much smarter than males) more involved in the political process in general. So yeah, the best possible outcome of that entire story arc is 'Things are looking very good for the Krogan'.

Post Tuchanka spoiler
Doesn't change the underlying problem that both the Krogans and maybe the galaxy are hosed if they don't invent and strictly control effective birth control. The Krogan population would spin completely out of control in just a few decades. Which means either starving children, Krogans dying in internal fights in their billions or starting again the search for more Lebensraum. I don't seehow Wrex and Eve can stop this - maybe by asking the Salarians for a modified version of the Genophage, that reduces the birth rate to a promille of the current one.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Anal Tributary posted:

Isn't this what the Genophage already did, though? Took it to like "1 in 1000" births make it, which is enough for the species' survival?

Post Tuchanka spoiler
Yes, but it changes it to less than sustainable in the most cruel way (stillborn children). Having a form that allows for 10-50 children in a lifespan (1000 years after all) without dead babies would make the whole thing bearable by the Krogans and save them.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Zoolooman posted:

For the audience, however, the game was about succeeding at the impossible dream. For most of them, even a suicide mission ended with all hands alive.

I rather doubt that is true except for us few nerds who bother to look up lists on the net or play it several times. I'm sure most lost several people and even more started with the default ME 3 state, where more than half your comrades died. At least that's my experience with non-nerd friends. I too lost three people on my first playthrough without looking up stuff (Zaeed totally has experience, so he should lead the fire team. And Thane said he likes warm places like the Vents...)

Decius fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 10, 2012

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

WAR FOOT posted:

Kai Leng:

When Kai Leng's fighting Thane, it bugged me that Shepard and Co. just stood by and kinda watched. Especially my Renegade Shep not having fifty interrupts to pour on fire. It's not until Thane goes down that Shepard starts shooting.

Mid-game spoiler
The thing that pisses me most off with the Anime Assassin is that he only works/gets the better of Shepard because of plot armour and cutscene stupidity. That's such a bullshit mechanic to make an enemy menancing. If you controlled Shepard you would put a Widow-fired bullet in his then exploding head. You would stasis him, warp-explode him, Incinerate him, freeze him, charge him and put a shotgun shell in him. But no, because it is Cutscene-Shepard you stand there with your dinky default pistol looking on with one of the best Biotics and an excellent sniper (or whoever your squad is - all of them at least Kai Leng's equal) instead of acting.
Habinger and Sovereign were so amazing adversaries because they were believably more powerful than Shepard and his squad in and outside of cutscenes.

It is nearly as lovely a plot device as the "arrest the protagonist by a couple of mooks and take their awesome weapons away for a level".

Decius fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 11, 2012

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Bongo Bill posted:

Call me crazy, but I liked the elevators in ME1. Though I also found ME3's loading times were so short that nothing of the sort was necessary this time.

On a PC that's true, even from my 5400 RPM HDD the loading times are too short to even read the first sentence of the hints, on a SSD it's probably faster than the screen refresh. But having seen videos from consoles it can take you minutes until the poo poo loads.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Psyker posted:

I need to quote this from like, 30 pages back to ask:

Why the gently caress would a developer not have the lead writer for a blockbuster series of theirs tied into a contract through it's completion? After the success of ME1, I would have had Karpyshyn at a table signing his name through ME3. So silly that they wouldn't.

Karpyshyn was with Bioware during ME 3's development, he just was doing the writing on SWTOR instead. I don't know the reasons obviously, but since Karpyshyn has done a lot of Star Wars releated works beforehand it might be that he likes it better or that they needed someone deep in the universe, so Marc Walters did the ME 3 writing. How much they collaborated is anyones guess.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Hentai Tentacle Demon posted:

That IS pretty damned good.

Although it relies too much on (obviously endgame spoiler) having made peace between Geth and Quarians. It's pretty much the only argument Shepard has besides "freedom of choice". But yeah, a fourth "reject and fight the Reapers" option would be great.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Speaking of which, I just finished that mission - how far only the main plotline am I at this point? 50%?

35 % I'd say. It's not very far from a very obvious half-point of the game.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Crows Turn Off posted:

I have a couple of questions about saving characters' lives...
Does Thane have to die?
Is there a way to save Ashley's life that doesn't force me to shoot Udina myself?

Mid-game-spoilers

If you don't talk with him at all he won't die. From a sword wound. He has a mortal disease after all.
If Thane saves the Salarian councilor (or Kirrahe if Thane is dead) Ashley/Kaidan will side with you if you have a high Reputation score and either you (if you take the Renegade interrupt) or her/him shoot Udina.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Baron Bifford posted:

I'm about halfway through the game and I'm already bored. The combat is so repetitive. Also, there are too many tank-and-spank bosses.

Bosses? Tanking? You're sure you're playing ME 3? Because there is no tanking and there is maybe one single enemy that's something like a boss-fight (mid-game spoiler) Anime-Assassin Kai Leng

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Also, Javik is a dick and I never speak to him despite my obsessive need to chat to everyone post every mission because, gently caress that guy.

Javik is a great character and he has some of the best dialogues with you and your fellow crew. You're deliberately locking yourself out of some really great stuff.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kurimus posted:

Is ME3 worth of buying?
And if it is, when I can buy it from Steam.com?

I like ME1 and ME2 but usually sequels are not so good.

Yes; never; and not really true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Count Choculitis posted:

So I got the Mass Effect Datapad app installed and it is already awesome. I hooked it up to my Origin account, and it pulled the quests I'd done yesterday and sent emails from the characters about them. So cool (then again, I am a big nerd).

Just make sure you don't use the "Galaxy at War"-part. It is yet another microtransaction game.

• Locked thread