Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Transmetropolitan posted:

Also, let's not forget the most important piece of art ever produced for this series:

To update it for ME3, just add Nova. :D

Needs a entry about Nova and the chargeable melee attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I heard your armor (and weapons?) carry over from ME2. Where can I buy these at?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I am generally enjoying this game so far, and surprising liking the two new squadmates so far. Also not used to how talkative the party can be in missions in compare to ME2 where they may have one line or two. Bought ED-I to the From Ashes DLC, and she already has just as many lines as Liara who is required for the thing!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Goodchild posted:

Is an imported character supposed to start out with 59 skill points? I wasn't expecting to be able to max almost every skill at the very beginning. Apologies if it's been asked already.

Yep, the game surprising remembers your level in ME2. I was level 31 in ME2 and started that way in ME2. Also hard-core in this game is way harder then ME2. Grenade guys and turrets can go just go gently caress off.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dan Didio posted:

Something something books something something Bioware railroading.

Basically, as I understand it, in one of the terrible books that bridges the games that you shouldn't ever read, Anderson steps down as Councillor.

Also the Codex does talk about why Anderson left as well.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of the Citadel, is there more to see there besides the Hospital, Dock, and Ambassador region? Or do the other sections open up later in the game?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just got the Prothean (do we need to spoil this still?) and man people weren't kidding about him being a huge dick. Glad the Wrex/Zaeeed role of the party rear end in a top hat is filled. Also glad that his mission did bring back all the other stuff related to his race in the first game, including Vigil.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

WMain00 posted:

Tali lovers will be ever happy.

EDIT: He hosed up the [url]http://[/url] at the start of the link.

Unless they accidentally sent her into the vents. How could I know that it would kill her in my first playthrough of ME2.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ShineDog posted:

But.. Tali is a valid vent choice?

Tali, Legion and I think Kasumi can survive the vents.

Oh, I think the fire line choice was the wrong one then. I just remember that run had Tali and Zaeeed dying.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

omg car crash posted:

How does the Hardcore difficulty feel in this? I normally played Veteran in ME/ME2 but it, of course, doesn't exist. Seems like Normal in 3 is very little challenge, should I just go to Hardcore?

Hardcore feels much tougher then the hardcore from ME2. Mostly due to the fact health doesn't regen all the way anymore (Unity to heal) and the nastier enemy types.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Aside from some dumb things "stuff Generl Battuta mentioned, the kid", I am rather enjoying this game a lot. I was prepared for the worst due to the spoiler stuff like robo ED-I and Dragon Age 2, but it's been great so far. Just wish I can find Kelly already so I can get her and those fish back on my ship!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Can someone spoil the missions that can expire if you don't do them in time?

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I did, if it's at the same spot (after the first flashback) then start mashing Esc when the camera starts to swing over Shepard's shoulder to return control. Opening the menu seems to avoid the crash.

Yeah I got the crash after that part, but I did a quick save after hitting ESC at that point, so when I returned later on, the game was done with the flashback and acted like normal.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

kater posted:

The map updates with most of the quests. It's still pretty lovely, but hey.

Man, it's really lovely. It's like they just forgot to enable the bulletpoints that open up for each quest like 1/2 had.

While it does suck that they removed the bullet points, at the same time it got really annoing in ME2 when you had a bunch of quests everywhere and you couldn't see some of the systems under their giant floating texts. Really bad if you activated the N7/Firewalker/Rich Mineral flags.

Also I just noticed on the wikipedia page for From Ash that there was a new rifle on Eden Prime. I already did the first mission there and didn't find one. Did I miss it or is obtained later on?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Heti posted:

you get it automatically when you finish it.

That probably why I didn't see it then, as I haven't done a new mission since completing it. Thank you.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Someguy posted:

Did they eliminate neutral dialogue options completely? From the stream I'm watching it looks like just renegade and paragon options exist.

Yeah, but at the same time, paragon/renegade don't really matter as much, just filling up a points pool that unlocks the deeper dialog options.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Captain Spoon posted:

This might be completely irrelevant, but Javik says at one point that Ilos was inhabited by a different civilization and some Protheans just sort of moved in. So all of those statues were of a different alien species entirely.

Also he mentions that the Protheans were also a catch-all name for their empire, which had a number of lesser species that were forcefully joined into their empire. But more likely just the statues of the last race.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FirstPersonShitter posted:

You saw them dying in flashbacks and you saw statues of them. There was also the husk prothean they showed in the codex in ME2 who looked like a husk version of the protheans shown in ME1. The ME3 prothean has a totally different head and body shape to any previous prothean so its not like the statues were stylised versions of the ME3 prothean.

Amusing enough they play that familiar cutscene from ME1 & ME2 of the Prothean beacon when you talk to Javik.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That said, the chase was amusing when you constantly teleporting with the vanguard charge.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man, talking to Thane is giving me flashbacks to the Persona 3 social link for The Sun. :smith:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lotish posted:

On the subject of ME1 face codes not transferring, I think it works like this.

Between ME1 and ME2 they didn't tweak the face rig that much. Pretty much all of the original options were there in their original places, but not everything was a perfect translation. This meant ME1 faces could be put in without needing too many references or edits (in fact, there wasn't a mechanism in ME2 to edit an existing face, suggesting that the settings were kind of "fire and forget" in ME1 and didn't leave proper references for editing). There wasn't a subroutine, however, that then reviewed the ME1 settings and spat out a face code for later reference.

The problem with this is that they *did* make changes to the faces for ME3. Necessarily this means that ME3 has to look at the face code for your ME2 character and translate that into the new face rig, which then has to be editable. But ME3's rig can only translate from ME2's rig because the code is present, while ME1's lacks the necessary references to make the translation. Furthermore, they don't have a mechanism that can detect if the face is from ME1 so they can't (at least not yet) make a proper translator that can look at the ME1 settings (whatever or wherever they may be) and then retrofit those to the ME3 rig.

Spergy guesswork on my end, but I think I understand the problem. Coding myopia six years ago is biting them in the rear end today.

That said, you can get your ME1 face if you select "rebuild face" in ME2 when importing and go back, as it then generates a code. I am using the same face in ME3 that I had in ME1 and ME2. I can tell from the Steam screenshots I have that they are the same minus the hair growing out more and more each time (from real short to medium length).

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So when exactly Kelly shows up on the Citadel? I'm about to do the second mission from the demo, but I heard after that the Citadel gets attacked and Kelly dies if you haven't spoke to her.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Still can't find Kelly. I did the mission on the Turian Home Planet and Grissom Academy and still no sign of her in the Relief areas. I heard the next mission available is when she can missed for good!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
So exactly when in the game does Cerberus invade the Citedal. I'm about to do the second mission from the demo after clearing other areas out.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Bringing Javik with you when you meet Wrex and Major Kirrahe leads to some great lines.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

twistedmentat posted:

So in 2 of my playthroughs i lost team members (thane and mordin respectively) but when I look at the saves in the ME3 loader, they say 11 crew alive. I'm not upset, because both of those deaths were me not paying attention to who i send back with the crew.

Forgive me, but I'm sure this has been asked and answered, but I looked for a few pages back, and didn't see anything, but does war readiness have any game impact outside of the big board in the war room?

Lastly, where does Origin keep its exes? I want to see if I can set this up to run through steam. I keep F12ing trying to screenshot all the cool stuff.

Use the "Add Non-Steam Game" option and browse to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Mass Effect 3\Binaries\Win32" and add the MassEffect3.exe. Just make sure Origin is off when you launch or it won't get the overlay.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/rirse/screenshot/522655038156202403

Example picture to prove it works. That picture is the reaction shot of Shepard when ED-I tells the recycle air joke.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a save editor yet for Mass Effect 3? The bug with Kelly is annoying me and I want to fix the flag that causing her to not spawn along some other things.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ScarletOHara posted:

Does the game slow down at all? I know the theme of this one is supposed to be panic and impending doom but my favorite parts of ME2 were lampin around doing loyalty quests and stuff and hanging out at the citadel and talking to people. If the rest of the game is like Earth + the first mission I think I am about to return this stinker.

After the first mission post Earth (Mars) you get both the Noramndy unlocked and the ability to visit the Citadel at any time, and they are generally the chill place it was from ME1 and 2. There more to do in the Citadel after doing the Turian Homeworld mission. Easily spent a few hours just chatting with people at both places.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I'm enjoying my playthrough as a sentinel. I'm a lot more mobile than I was as a soldier. Took armor piercing ammo as a bonus ability and really enjoy how the shield the guardians carry around are basically non-existant. Very satisfying to just walk up to them and shotgun blast their heads off.

Anyway, about the ending:
It seemed like ME3 wanted all the trappings of some big 2001 Space Odyssey transcendental ending but didn't want to do the legwork to get you there. I can see an ending like this work, some kind of Everyman stripping away of your material self as you ascend to a position equal to the Reapers where you can decide their fate, but that requires a hell of a lot more setup than what you are given. Instead the transition is so jarring that it's absurd. For a game where the theme is survival against impossible odds and maintaining some semblance of humanity in the face of an incomprehensible evil, Shepard being reduced to a charred, shaky near-corpse who can't think of anything to say and can only be led around by a holographic child seems like a defeat. That could have been overlooked if there were any closure. Instead there's just a hell of a lot of poo poo that isn't explained. The cycle that gets mentioned barely gets mentioned, and sounds like a ridiculous contrivance as a result, and the endings themselves are not explored in any meaningful way. It's just a different colored laser beam happens and then Normandy is in trouble and whatever whatever blah here's your credit screen now go away.

People have brought up the Fallout endings to contrast and the Deus Ex endings to compare and it really works. Fallout's endings have generally been "here are the results of your work. Here are the lives and communities you have encountered. How they have thrived and how they have suffered as a result of you." while Deus Ex was all "make a choice that will decide the course of all humanity. Because these choices are fundamental changes in life and society we can only conjecture what it would mean for everyone involved, so just imagine an ending."

Mass Effect should have gone for the Fallout style, but it went for the Deus Ex ending, and it did so without exploring the implications of making such decisions, or providing a context by exploring any of the possibilities beforehand. It's simply heaped upon you from out of nowhere. The only person looking towards a future of any kind was the Illusive Man and your only interaction is "Shepard I am so in love with myself, do you agree?" "No TIM you are indoctrinated and dumb" "Dang so that's what all this Reaper poo poo on my face is".

Ultimately I feel that ME3 tries to aspire to tell a story beyond the immediate survival of the characters in its world, but it tries only in the last fifteen minutes of the game. I'm not one to go "heh they were rushing to get this out of the door and slapped some bullshit at the end to cover it up", but they really seemed to be rushing to get this out of the door and slapped some bullshit at the end to cover it up.

Yeah, not having beat this game myself but reading the spoilers, a New Vegas styled ending card would been perfect, with the party and important NPCs narrating, like Tali talking about the fate of the quarian, Wrex and Grunt for krograns, etc. It would did the closeure and they still could used the ohter option at the end in reaction to the final fate of Shepard. Oh well, knowing EA there will be a post ending dlc in the future due to negative reaction, ala Fallout 3/Prince of Persia.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Cyra posted:

So uh, why is Wrex alive when I killed him in the interactive comic? I'm on the PS3 version, obviously.

...and you have a problem with this?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

etalian posted:

I guess they learned nothing from the horrible Knights of the Old Republic water level.

Don't remind of that awful level. Between the slow water movement and the "hippie aliens", that part always puts me off on replaying the game.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

There's so much drat death in this game :negative:

...or maybe I just make terrible decisions in it!

Making me want to do the gently caress up Shepard run at some point.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I haven't beat the game, but I do think a "revised ending DLC" will probably happen (like Fallout 3 and Prince of Persia). Mostly due to how universally hated it is. Both games above also had universally hated endings that got fixed later on. Also the very little use of Harbinger is probably the other sign. There is no proper "fight" with him in the game. I imagine if they do one, it ends with Shepard fighting him to save the galaxy or some poo poo.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I installed the collector's edition via Origin but was wondering: does it come with the day dlc 1 squadmate stuff included or do I need to go find and download that dlc too?

Right click the game and look at Game Detail. From there you can download From Ash and the other content for free.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Jarmel posted:

This is definitely becoming a gaming myth equal to the keeping Aeris alive rumor back in the day.

So the ending happens when Aeris and General Leo unite to fight Ben the ghost kid from the Majora Mask cart and his reaper master?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Also, this is the aftermath. Good job all around. Monster.

Even if I ever do a gently caress up Shepard run, I won't ever have this scene or the other one play. Those are just wrong. Forced to kill two of the most likeable cast members is just awful..

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Zoolooman posted:

They didn't focus group it, I imagine. It's an example of the developers expecting one thing from their game and the audience expecting another. For the devs, the main theme was sacrifice. A lot of background choices mirror that theme. They tried to tailor the experience towards it.

For the audience, however, the game was about succeeding at the impossible dream. For most of them, even a suicide mission ended with all hands alive. They never had to sacrifice anything important to them, so the things that represented sacrifice (the choice at the end of ME1, the choice on Virmire) had little impact. The ending felt inappropriate because the game everyone played was thematically different from the game Bioware wanted to make.

That probably make sense if the "canon Shepard" option is the Numerous, which has most of the ME2 crew dead along with Wrex/Virmire Survivor if you start fresh.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I know the ending suppose to be bad and that fine to blast, but some of you don't want to replay the series again because the ending was awful? That just a really dumb thing to say. Call me old, but after going through countless NES and SNES games as a kid and the only reward was "Thank you for Playing", I just generally care ultimately about the ending of a game. So long I had fun playing and was generally entertained (which the game has done both) then I will return in the future.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Why didn't anyone tell me you can do a running heavy melee attack! It adds to my vanguard combo of death!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I know this sounds bad, but I really enjoyed this game a lot, even the ending wasn't that bad (people in the other thread make the events sound way worst then what little we see of the aftermath). I can't believe some people are so stupid to want to not only never play this series again but also demand their money back as well! I bought several rpgs in the past few years that I just couldn't get into or didn't like, but I just simply sold them to a goon or took the Gamestop credit hit, but never once did I demand all the money I used back.

And you know what, I will return to ME3 in a year when I replay the series. It was a fun ride starting from February in ME1 to now in ME3, but I need to let the game cool down before replaying again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Viperix posted:

Why am I only discovering now that you can double click on a planet/wreckage to investigate it, instead of having to move down and click the button, wasting precious time when eluding the angry crayfish?

Dammit, that would made my life earlier the other day when I kept trying to get the last scan, but a reaper kept spawning right next to it.

• Locked thread