Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

bloodychill posted:

Man, was there some campaign organized somewhere to spread massive hate of this game? SA is cool as usual about it but on just about every more public forum and rating system, the game has gotten thousands of 0/10 reviews by users in the last four hours.
It's typical for any major new release. Same thing happened with Portal 2, Skyrim, etc. There's some collective group of people who review-bomb AAA games the second they are able to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

The Aberrant posted:

Well according to the guys who actually made the thing there's more than enough assets in the game to get the best ending. Chances are you missed something or made a bad decision somewhere.
Well, I hope that someone finds a way to hack those numbers, because it will suck if you want to play this game 3 years from now or something and you have to do every single side mission to get the best ending because there is nobody playing multiplayer.

Speaking of which, is there a point of no return for when those numbers are taken into account in the game? I tend to take forever to finish games so I'ld rather wait until the last possible moment before playing a lot of multiplayer sessions to improve that thing.

Also, does the special armor (Blood Dragon, Collector's, etc.) still have that problem where the helmet stays on no matter what? I won't bother buying them back if that's the case.

I do like how you don't need to carry weapons you never use anymore.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

It's a blatant attempt at shameless cross-promotion and all they had to do was have Anderson have one line where he goes "Boy, sure am glad I quit the Council to get back in the military" and there would be absolutely no issue with it.
I would hardly call it a blatant attempt at shameless cross-promotion when you literally wouldn't know this information was covered in the novel unless you had read it or gone to a wiki.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Zomodok posted:

Does it degrade overtime if you don't play MP?
Yes, I lost a percentage point this morning and some people have reported up to 3%. It's probably best to play to near the end of the game and then play a bunch of multiplayer if you're worried about that stuff. However, it won't go below 50%.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

So final thoughts now that I'm pretty much done:

- A little more glitchy than I would have liked. It was more stable than general as the previous games had several crashed. However, in ME3 I also had a quest that I couldn't complete, two missions I had to restart from a previous checkpoint to correct a scripting error, Shepard becoming invisible during a cutscene, the issue where Shepard becomes stuck in the cockpit of the Normandy several times, and multiple instances of characters becoming possessed by demons because something in their animations didn't work properly. I never had a single issue with either of the previous two games.

- I can only assume the interface stuff came last in the dev cycle and they ran out of time, because nothing else explains the bizarre lack of info in the quest descriptions, and on one occasion flat-out wrong information on how to progress.

- The combat scenarios were far, far superior than the previous two games. The actual mechanics are good, but the differences between weapons, powers and armor were more unique, as were the choices in levelling up. Also, the level designs did a much better job of giving you a sense of place in the epic story and felt like massive environments instead of tiny locations and warehouses.

- Okay, ignoring the ending, the storytelling continued to be good. Similar to Dragon Age, having to convince completely different cultures who have a history of hating each others coming together for the best of society makes a compelling narrative. Of particular note is the conflict between Liara's research of Prothean culture and what Javik revealed they were actually like. Some of the choices in this game actually made me stop and squirm rather than just go "Paragon choice" without even thinking.

xxEightxx posted:

Been staying out, for the most part, of these threads until i at least finish a run-through, considering all the hubub behind the ending etc. As someone who has switched platforms, has there been any further information about what you start with if you have no ME2 save? I know there are couple decisions you can make, but they seem to leave a lot of out of ME and ME2 (i have completed both, so i am familiar with any storyline lingo regarding those games and how those decisions may impact me3)
They leave out a lot. It does make sense in the terms that if you are a new player to the series, they don't want characters you have no clue about to start talking to you as if you should know where you left off with them. But it sucks for people who just lost their saves or whatever.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 14, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Red Mundus posted:

I mean how bad could it possibly be? Is it St. Elsewhere levels of horror? Are people just exaggerating? I just don't want to get to the end and then have all the enjoyment I've had crashed to poo poo without at least some preparation.
I thought people were exaggerating because people have become kneejerk negative on everything BioWare does recently, but it is St. Elsewhere levels of bad. Read this after you finish the game. It's also just executed poorly.

There is another potential ending that is hanging around from the leaked script that apparently was what they originally planned that also contains left field ridiculousness but also foreshadows itself constantly throughout the trilogy. This one they went with doesn't even make sense in the context of it's own fiction.

The game is still worth playing, though. Everything before that last 5 minutes culminated beautifully.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 14, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Viridiant posted:

The Reapers catching you has such a trivial penalty to it that it may as well not even be in the game.
Eh, if the Reapers catching you had a big penalty that would probably be even more annoying. People would just exit the game and reload constantly.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

MadRhetoric posted:

It's a drat fine game with a drat fine end sequence that doesn't happen to be the actual end. I think I liked ME2 more, but if there was actually a plot, I'd unironically say this is some of the best storytelling in gaming. The scenes were powerful, if a little basic; a drat shame the narrative thread ended up as a noose.
I agree with you, but that's why it's disappointing. I know some people on the internet are turning it to a ragefest, and demanding they go back and change it is kind of dumb, but you gotta admit it was a let down. You're right in that it would have been a fine denouement regardless but that's what's so frustrating. In terms of story and character dialogue, ME3 easily met my expectations and everything culminated beautifully. So why add an additional 5 minutes of nonsense that deliberately says "Actually, we don't really give a poo poo about this universe we created" to begin with? I would have rather have an ending that still leaves a lot of questions hanging in the air, then one that basically eliminates all of them and creates a bunch of confusion.

precision posted:

Why in the world isn't there a way to import a Shepard without starting at the level you were when you beat ME2? There's something really anticlimactic about being level 30 with all the powers I care about maxed, or nearly maxed, from the very first second of the game. A big part of the fun of RPGs is character progression and it's like I'm being punished for having played ME2!
They should have provided an option, but I think it's one of those "can never satisfy your fans" kind of thing. When ME2 came out, all I saw on forums was endless bitching about how your experience and levelling didn't carry over.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Despite being called a 'cover shooter', playing a Vanguard I am hardly in cover at all. :black101:
That's exactly what makes the Vanguard such an interesting class, though. To play it well, you have to play it in the way that is unintuitive in a cover shooter because you literally have to put yourself in harm's way to be effective.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Yup, that's why I don't agree with people talking about the "downfall of quality" similar to DA2 with this. When you discount the last 5 minutes, I feel like the writing and dialogue is easily the best in this game out of the series.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Capt Happhypants posted:

So I just read a good article about why the ending is bad in so many ways. I tend to be very forgiving of movies, games, and all sorts of media and try to enjoy myself no matter what. I was willing to appreciate whatever ending ME3 gave me, but after reading this (massive spoilers in it so don't read if you don't want to know them) I truly do hope that Bioware will do something to fix it at some point, even if I have to buy a freaking DLC to get a better resolution:

http://www.gamefront.com/mass-effect-3-ending-hatred-5-reasons-the-fans-are-right/
I agree with some of that article but I think a lot of it is just more complaining for the sake of it. I found this article to be more compelling, because it points out the absurdity while also ponting out how ridiculous the idea of BioWare "fixing" the ending should be.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Charlie Mopps posted:

I hate this idea that fixing the ending is some horrible thing. We arent talking about art here (and even artwork sometimes get changed if the people paying for it dont like it), we are talking about a consumer product which a shitload of people are complaining about. We dont think that fixing bugs is strange, or that fixing performance issues is strange, and neither get bitching about such things called having 'entitlement issues'. Yet the story is apparently sacred and cannot and should not be touched.
It's art. If it wasn't art and was just a video game product than people wouldn't be bitching so much about how it ended. The video game landscape is filled with lovely endings.

Furthermore, I cannot think of anything more dangerous and stupid then suddenly setting a precedent that the story in games should be changed so that it satisfies the vocal minority of their core audience, especially when it comes to something like the BioWare fanbase.

What should they do? Take a poll to determine the new ending? Ask what everyone wants at the end and take a bit of each suggestion? The ending sucked but it happened and demands that they "fix" it is silly entitlement nonsense. I'm not outside the front doors of Warner Brothers with my ticket to The Matrix Revolutions screaming that they need to re-film it according to my personal preferences.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 15, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

CaptainCarrot posted:

Why? Movies and books change their endings all the time when the screening audience objects. And where are you getting the 'minority' bit, or is this just unprovable 'silent majority' crap?
And that almost always turns into a bad thing when they do it? You really want game stories to be subjected to the same treatment as movies that try to be as bland, inoffensive and catering to the lowest common demoninator possible? We already have focus groups turning video game mechanics into milquetoast entertainment as it is.

Also, I hate to break it to you, but if you're posting about video game stories on the internet, you are the "minority". Talk to me when that "petition" reaches a million signatures and you might have a counter-argument.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

For people who are adamant that the ending stay the same and that any deviation from what we're given would be an insult to the concept of art, are you saying that you wouldn't want to see any post-storyline DLCs whatsoever? Not even if it somehow fits into the events as they were shown?
It depends on the ending you chose, but to me it seems clear that the ending provides for post-storyline DLC anyways, although the way the message is worded in the game suggests theymight intend for all future DLC to take place before the ending.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Sombrerotron posted:

Absolutely. Throughout ME3, I was constantly impressed and pleased by the much more refined interaction with your squadmates, as well as the interactions between them. The Normandy felt much more alive, and your squadmates much more like actual characters instead of animatronics that would only activate when Shepard spoke directly to them.
I feel like the whole game was like this. For instance, yes, the levels were essentially just typical cover-shooter dungeons but they did a much better job of hiding that and making you feel like you actually were in these epic environments. In one level you are in a building that breaks into an underground cave that then turns into a giant hallway of ancient ruins. In another, you fight in a war-torn urban environment with a giant Reaper overhead until it culminates at a giant museum/cathedral. Meanwhile, 90% of the levels in the first two games were basically cramped corridors going one way and they just told you it was either a spaceship or space station.

DLC controversy aside, I actually don't use him during missions, but I like what Javik adds to the story. Everyone in the past two games talked about how the Protheans were this brilliant culture based on all the research they did on their race, and how Javik basically goes "Actually, we were space nazis."

kuddles fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 16, 2012

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

When does the game check your Effective War Asset number? Is it when you choose the final mission, or during it, or what?
I'm pretty sure after the "point of no return" mission, when they go "Are you sure you don't want to do side stuff anymore? Also once you do this the Reapers will come for us" is when it does it a.k.a. Cerberus HQ

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

I played as a Vanguard so it was almost always Garrus/Liara or Kaiden/James, where the only deciding factor was who I thought was going to produce the best commentary for the level I'm going into. I wish Legion was part of your team. You barely get to use him in ME2 because he joins you right at the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Does the Arc Pistol actually have any useful anti-synthetics properties, or should I just ignore it and leave Tali and EDI both on the usual Carnifex/Paladin?
It became my favourite gun to use because you can also charge it for a stronger hit and I liked the energy weapons overall, but I don't recall it doing anything extra special.

• Locked thread