Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Admiral BJ
May 28, 2005
Kicking ass and taking names
Cool thread. I've been playing basketball for a while and recently got a membership to the college in town's rec center. 6 full size courts and usually two full court games going at once.

Unfortunately it's spring break so they don't open again till next week. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Do people call over the back in pickup games? I haven't played pickup in a few years, since I moved away from the college town, and I have been scarred by one rear end in a top hat going over the back on me every rebound. I am talking one hand on my back using me as a springboard type over the back, not just once in a while, focused on the ball, type poo poo. I never called it because half the time I got the rebound and the other half it was a toss up between whether he got it or I tipped it to a teammate, but one guy we played with was like "You need to call the over the back man" and I never had before, and haven't heard a rule/etiquette one way or the other on it.

Also, just got a pass to the YMCA, ready to ball it up with some old white dudes Saturday morning.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

americanzero4128 posted:

Do people call over the back in pickup games? I haven't played pickup in a few years, since I moved away from the college town, and I have been scarred by one rear end in a top hat going over the back on me every rebound. I am talking one hand on my back using me as a springboard type over the back, not just once in a while, focused on the ball, type poo poo. I never called it because half the time I got the rebound and the other half it was a toss up between whether he got it or I tipped it to a teammate, but one guy we played with was like "You need to call the over the back man" and I never had before, and haven't heard a rule/etiquette one way or the other on it.

Also, just got a pass to the YMCA, ready to ball it up with some old white dudes Saturday morning.

If it's not egregious, let it go, but what you're describing? Yeah, call that.

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

americanzero4128 posted:

Either speak up or do it right back.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

The one true heezy posted:

Either speak up or do it right back.

That's what I do with stuff like that. When they complain, you just say something along the lines of: "Well you've been doing it all game so I assumed it was cool....".

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I usually play around 3-4 times a week and split time between two different places. I'll either play in the college gym, or at city park 15 mins from campus. There is a huge difference in the playstyles of each place. My campus gym has mostly white kids, with a handful of really athletic black guys. There's a pretty decent range of skill level, but no one is horrible. Quite a few kids played in High School, so you'll see most people trying to set picks, playing defense and getting some ball movement going. Shooting is definitely favored of driving though.

When I go to to the park, I am usually one of 4-5 white kids,and everyone is really good. I love playing there because it makes me better as a one on one player, and really does alot for my defense. Everyone can handle the ball, drive and lay it up. Defense is a little lazier in general, but when games get close it turns really heated. I'm one of the only predominantly shooter type players there, and because I'm white, and kind of look like Jimmer, whenever I get on a scoring tear, you'll hear "JIMMER" from the sidelines. I didn't know who the gently caress this was until I started playing there. There is 3 courts, one usually runs full court, and the other two are half court- 4v4s. Winner stays, take everything back, call your own fouls and those are pretty much it rule-wise. Pick and Rolls happen, but the kids here usually put alot of effort into stop them fairly quickly. The post guys here really know how to play defense and will block your lane or alter your shot if you try to drive. Passing isn't as free as the campus gym, but if you make good cuts, or prove you can finish you'll start getting the ball more. The guys there kind of know me now, so I'll get fed open shooting looks off drives, but originally when I started, I would score by cutting opposite a drive and waiting for the dump off to put up.

Personally, I'm 5'11 around 180. My sweet spots for shooting is anything around the high post,than between the foul line and the 3-point line (specifically the left side), and finally either side baseline out to maybe 15 feet. I have a really solid mid-range game, but those 3 spots I'm money from. I have absolutely no 3 point shot though. I started playing basketball maybe six months ago, and it's just something I never worked on. I figure its hard to make 3's even if your a good shooter, so I'd rather work on higher percentage shots.

I'm pretty solid post wise. I have a nice little turn around J I like to do off the right block, or I'll take em baseline. Off the left block I'll dribble with my right hand and bump them as close to the basket as I can and than just shoulder down, power up. I used to play football, so I understand how to use my frame and body to block people/shield the ball. Pump fakes are absolutely devastating inside the paint. I' pretty strong in the post for my size and have successfully guarded kids as tall as 6'3. I am a bit of an rear end in a top hat about it though. I'll just get low, squat, and push my body against them until they quit trying to get position in the paint/ around the low block. I'm really really physical and haven't had anyone complain about it yet. I'll also have my hand about an inch from your eyes anytime you try something. I also bump anyone who comes in the paint while I'm there on defense. Just a little shoulder to impede their path. I played with an old guy one time who said " I don't have to let you be in the paint, you have to want to be in the paint", and I've really taken that to heart. I don't give no easy fuckin lay ups. I'm notorious for getting in front of drivers, planting my feet and putting both hands up. I never call a charge,but if some kid starts saying I fouled him, I just tell him my feet were planted, hands were up and I wasn't moving. They can have the ball, but no bucket.

I've never jammed my fingers while playing. I probably will now that I typed this.

I've never played at a court that does AND-1. You just get possession back. Kids on campus will actually call fouls though, while everyone in the park will just play unless you straight up slap their shooting arm. They will also foul the poo poo out of you once you're within two points of winning. Big guys get swarmed and hit under the basket and shooters get pushed around.

I'm surprised at all this "is it ok to pick and roll" talk. I thought most people just did it.

Finally, I called for and made a game-winning shot for the first time in my life last week and it felt loving awesome. I was on the left side baseline and made a cut up to right below the 3 line,with kid driving across the court from the right baseline. I knew my man was trailing and that I was going to come open so I called for it, he passed and I went up and swish. Best sports feeling I've had in a while. This was awesome, except for one small thing. I didn't know it was game point :ssh:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Waroduce posted:

I'll also have my hand about an inch from your eyes anytime you try something.

Face guarding isn't cool man, you can hurt someone doing that.

rscott fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 8, 2012

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

rscott posted:

Face guarding isn't cool man, you can hurt someone doing that.

I like to win, and if you're bigger than me it one of the most effective ways I can impede your shot. It's legal,and I've yet to hurt someone. Plus, if I was on your team doing it, and causing lovely looks you'd love it.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Waroduce posted:

They will also foul the poo poo out of you once you're within two points of winning. Big guys get swarmed and hit under the basket and shooters get pushed around.

Yes, this absolutely happens when I play at the playground. When you get close to game point, it will get absolutely physical and people will foul the gently caress out of you.

Edit: I also don't like when people face guard me. I can see poo poo.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I've been playing pick up ball in parks for ages but I'm in my 30s and pretty much stick to rented gyms in NYC now. Too :corsair: to deal with AND1 mixtape shitheads plus the asphalt is killer on the knees.

Vladimir Putin posted:

Edit: I also don't like when people face guard me. I can see poo poo.

My ultimate pet peeve. Hyper scrappy little guy who face guards me at halfcourt like a man cover DB even when I'm without the ball.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 8, 2012

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Face guarding has been illegal in the NCAA since like 1913 or something, and its illegal in the NBA too though it's pretty poorly defined. Remember when Kobe was face guarding T-Mac a few years back and he accidentally poked him in the eye? That poo poo happens all the time. Pick up games aren't fun when people are legit getting hurt.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Oh yeah, the #1 tip for pick up ball (and basketball in general) is when you're playong on-the-ball defense, KEEP YOUR HANDS UP. Like, arms fully extended, going-in-for-a-hug-style hands. People just cannot force themselves to do this for some reason, and it makes your defense SO much more effective. Instead they just keep their hands kind of by their sides or in front of them with their elbows bent, like they just touched something gross. Make yourself super duper wide!

Face guarding is stupid and only dumb jerks do it. If someone does it to you grab their fingers and tell them to them to cut it out before they poke you in the eye.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
In halfcourt, losers ball or no-keeps seems to up the intensity in games for w/e reason.

TIP for defending the AND1 dudes. I like to zero in on their chest and midsection when they're trying to cross me over. All of that wild hand movement and shoulder shaking won't register as much.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 8, 2012

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Oh yeah, the #1 tip for pick up ball (and basketball in general) is when you're playong on-the-ball defense, KEEP YOUR HANDS UP. Like, arms fully extended, going-in-for-a-hug-style hands. People just cannot force themselves to do this for some reason, and it makes your defense SO much more effective. Instead they just keep their hands kind of by their sides or in front of them with their elbows bent, like they just touched something gross. Make yourself super duper wide!

Face guarding is stupid and only dumb jerks do it. If someone does it to you grab their fingers and tell them to them to cut it out before they poke you in the eye.

That is a good tip. You're going to take up way more space and it will be harder for people to get around you.

I like to keep my arms above my head as much as I can when I'm in the low blocks (when I'm not shoving people in the back to get them out of position). It annoys people trying to post me up. And when I post up I do the same because it makes me a bigger target for an entry pass.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011
Cut your fingernails. This should be rule #1.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Waroduce posted:

I like to win, and if you're bigger than me it one of the most effective ways I can impede your shot. It's legal,and I've yet to hurt someone. Plus, if I was on your team doing it, and causing lovely looks you'd love it.

They're not slowing down because of your good defense, they are because they're afraid of getting their eye poked. If you must persevere in your faceguarding ways, at least do it the Shane Battier way and whip it out when they're releasing their shot, that way to can claim you were challenging the shot or something. As for AND1 dudes, they're like internet trolls, you can't beat them if they're there to just do stupid and gay poo poo, I don't really try against them.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

cisneros posted:

gay

Don't do this :(

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Don't do this :(

It's a quote.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

stephelopholus posted:

Cut your fingernails. This should be rule #1.

Word.

I'll stick my hand in someones face if I can't get a good contest on their shot, I didn't really think of that as dirty play, I can't think of a time anyone made a big deal about it. Face guarding someone dribbling or squared up or whatever is cheap play, you probably shouldn't be doing that on a playground game.

Also nthing the "talk to your teammates and take 5 loving seconds to be supportive" thing too. Telling someone who just missed a wide open 3 "Good look, man" helps a shitload. It's a team game.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'll be honest I remember seeing video footage of Michael Jordan face guarding somebody with the ball early in his career. Maybe it was Joe Dumars? Everywhere that dude looked or turned, MJ just put his hand in his face and blocked his vision like a blindfold.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Vladimir Putin posted:

I'll be honest I remember seeing video footage of Michael Jordan face guarding somebody with the ball early in his career. Maybe it was Joe Dumars? Everywhere that dude looked or turned, MJ just put his hand in his face and blocked his vision like a blindfold.

I'm talking about putting a hand in their face while they shoot, or if they play me face up in the post. I don't face guard perimeter players or guys moving around the court. I'll put a hand in anyone's face when they shoot, but I only face guard in the post if your way bigger than me.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

If a guy is completely lighting me up on the perimeter and I've run out of ideas then I'll try to face guard him but that's happened to me maybe 3 or 4 times in my life. I don't recall anyone doing it to me and I'd imagine it's pretty annoying to the point that I'd slap their hand away.

Cut your loving fingernails. Agreed. Almost every rec league game I play, I come back with scratches all down my forearms.

Play hard, of course, but if you knock someone down then help them back up. Always. Don't be Mr. Macho and act like this is your court or whatever. Even if the guy is a total jerkoff, help him up then when he's up, make fun of him. Talking playful poo poo is one of my favorite things about pickup ball

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Do you guys have any good recommendations for outdoor balls that don't fall apart after 2 or 3 months of use?

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

rscott posted:

Do you guys have any good recommendations for outdoor balls that don't fall apart after 2 or 3 months of use?

I go with these. http://www.amazon.com/Spalding-63249-Official-Street-Basketball/dp/B0009VELG4/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1331319446&sr=1-1

You can get them anywhere. It is nothing great, but I would never spend more than $20 on an outdoor basketball. They are a bit better than the generic ones, and you won't be upset when it gets worn out or stolen.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
If you don't want your ball to get stolen, put your name on it with big letters. :barf:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Boosh! posted:

In halfcourt, losers ball or no-keeps seems to up the intensity in games for w/e reason.

TIP for defending the AND1 dudes. I like to zero in on their chest and midsection when they're trying to cross me over. All of that wild hand movement and shoulder shaking won't register as much.

You should always look at the torso when you're defending someone. Hands and legs can lie to you but a guy always has to go where his torso is going. (Credit to Coach Schmitt, 7th grade PE teacher)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's like what Shakira said, hips don't lie.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

This thread brought me out of my pickup hiatus and I wasn't completely terrible! I do want to start and international court to try people who stop running back on d and letting games degenerate into Lob Ball for crimes against basketball though.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You know this thread would be a lot better if it was "Pick Up Basketball Thread: Traveling Without Moving"

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Face-guarding is perfectly good defense that is not :brucebowen: if you do it properly. Hint: Don't put your hand 6 inches away from their face. Put it 12-18 and you have the same defensive result and you're not going to hurt anyone. The problem with face-guarding is that you get the "rhinos" who like to do the charge and headbutt. They'll tend to thrust their head into your body and if you are face-guarding that means finger meets the eye.

The real bastard move already has been mentioned. Under-cutting someone when they're basically sprinting and several feet off the ground is really dangerous. Each time I've seen an ambulance called to a court (twice) it's been due to someone throwing their weight into the lower half of someone else's body when they were going for a layup/rebound. It also tends to be the "rhinos" that do the undercutting.

fakeedit: I was an obsessive-compulsive pick up player for a decade before my back went out. Got to play against Kobe a couple of times :ssh: This is the greatest thread and almost every comment has me nodding my head.

:woop:

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

If you're in a weird foreign area or country like I am and want to find a court near you, courtsoftheworld.com has been kind of helpful.

ad libitum
Jan 31, 2006
-
Any recommendations for good basketball shoes?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm a 5'3" Filipino with terrible ball-handling skills, but I'm pretty efficient when it comes to 3 pointers and spot up shooting. Am I hosed when it comes to pick-up games?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No, outside shooting is disproportionally better than normal basketball because of the rules.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

teagone posted:

I'm a 5'3" Filipino with terrible ball-handling skills, but I'm pretty efficient when it comes to 3 pointers and spot up shooting. Am I hosed when it comes to pick-up games?

Play with a few people who can set good picks that can give you enough distance between your defender so that you can get off your shot. Also, play help defense by blocking off lanes; it doesn't matter what your size is, a body blocking the path to a layup has the tendency to make people shoot from a greater distance or pass the ball. Since length/height is your issue, be extra sure to keep your hands at/above your mid-section at all times; it's cliched advice, but it will get you a surprising amount of turnovers.

BTW
I was babbling in a N/V thread a few weeks ago about "countries that you don't understand how much they love basketball" and mentioned Belize. Phillipino basketball has the same type of fandom. They're intensely passionate and love the sport. My first year or two of pick up was pretty much playing with a bunch of Phillipino dudes.

Funfact: Abarrientos was a very fringe NBA prospect back in the day. He was 5'6"-5'7", 160-170 lbs and the Hornets offered him a preseason contract.

He also played for the Alaska Milkmen which is probably the greatest name ever for an athletic team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Abarrientos

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

Redgrendel2001 posted:

BTW
I was babbling in a N/V thread a few weeks ago about "countries that you don't understand how much they love basketball" and mentioned Belize. Phillipino basketball has the same type of fandom. They're intensely passionate and love the sport. My first year or two of pick up was pretty much playing with a bunch of Phillipino dudes.

I had no idea about the Philippino culture and basketball until I came across this book. http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Rims-Flip-Flops-Philippines-Basketball/dp/0451229991

The author writes frequently for the Grantland.com website which is a part of ESPN.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The Pacific Rims guy also wrote pieces for FreeDarko back when that was a thing. (RIP)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm 5'9, 170, white, can't jump, dribble, or shoot. I started playing pickup a year or two ago and do it every few weeks despite it being frustrating. All I do is set picks.

Should I just be focusing on my jump shot for pick and pops? The friends I play with are all taller than me, with most at 6'2 or 3. I tried learning post moves since I'm stronger than them but I get rejected too much.

Also all the 6'3 guys dribble drive easily on me, you guys make it sound so easy to steal the ball.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I'm the weirdest loving guy to have on a team.

5'9, 205 or so, pretty thick and solid.

I can rebound pretty well, I suck on defense (too short or too slow), but I can hit the 3 pointer pretty well and hang in the air. Cannot dribble, thus cannot drive, but I'll out jump 90% of the players on the court... too bad I cannot drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Played some 5v5 fullcourt the other day. The entire other team all camped 3 point lines. They'd even inbound it full court to a half open guy on the 3pt line who chucks it immediately. They did this for 3 straight 13 point games. It was the least fun I've ever had playing pick up.

• Locked thread