Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Tips are awful. If anybody's even reasonably athletic the game ends up going on forever, and it just turns into a shooting drill since nobody's playing defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

That's why we do 1 handed tips only. 2 handed tips are stupid, if anyone is even reasonably talented every miss will be tipped.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Well, if anyone is reasonably talented, they will hit open shots if nobody's playing defense on them. Also tips allow for cool fun poo poo like flinging long rebounds behind your back in midair and just ruining folk.

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011

rscott posted:

If you call an offensive foul in the pick up games I play you will get laughed at pretty hard, not sure how it is in other places

The only thing I get annoyed with is when I have position, just stand there, get barreled into, and when the dude loses the ball he just calls a foul on me. I'm fine with it not being a charge, but it shouldn't be anything.

iamsosmrt posted:

I've had some issue with this in the past as well. Guys would keep their off hands out as shields and try to pre-emptively slap away any potential attempts to knock the ball away. One guy I've played with has integrated it into his offense where he's essentially handchecks you with his offhand to keep you at a distance to create space.

As somebody who does look for opportunities to tip the ball to compensate for poor foot speed, I hate when guys do this, especially when they act like I'm the bad guy for reaching in when he intentionally hits my arm. If it was any kind of officiated game you can bet I'd be over there like Kobe during a break telling the official to watch for the guy putting his forearm up and initiating contact, because just reaching to get a guy to hesitate on the dribble isn't a foul unless I make contact. But since there's no ref, there's not a whole lot you can do. If you want to escalate poo poo you can always hand-check and otherwise start playing dirty, but I try to avoid getting into pick-up fights.

Speaking of which, I was out there a few weeks ago with a guy that was a great athlete with a pick-up Dwayne Wade-y type game. No 3's, but plenty of hanging in the air floaters and a quick first step to get into the lane. Unfortunately on the other end he was extremely dirty, even when he didn't have to be (much like Dwayne Wade). When I'd set a screen, he'd pop out to guard the shooter and just literally grab my shirt. When I'd go up for a rebound he'd just two-hand push me under the basket. Note to everyone: don't be this guy. Especially if you're athletic enough to actually play, but just don't want to put in any effort.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

If I'm playing 21 one on one then I play tips since it's just the two of you. Otherwise I don't like playing tips since it rewards the fat guy that doesn't like to do anything but lay under the basket, as everyone has said. People play really lazy defense and will only guard threes or drives to the basket. My whole game revolved around garbage points near the bucket or 15 footers so I'd just calmly knock down free throw jumpers until I won. And I play 21 one on one because I am lazy and you get more breaks if you play that way.

I was not aware that people above elementary school age still played knockout

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Someone who actually knows how to play physical post defense showed up at pickup this week! Unfortunately he doesn't know how to keep his nails trim, they were half a drat inch long and combined with the physical D it made for fun times

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I play tips in 21 because who cares? It's just a screw around game. Plus tips make it funny sometimes.

Out of no where I got really better. Fixed my stance in my shot and I'm starting to knock down 3's and open 2's. Started shooting around every day so my conditioning got better too. Plus I played really good defense yesterday on guys much bigger than me, mostly because people are terrible at passing inside and getting low on rebound box outs. Huge dude, 6'2 200 something pounds was getting boxed out by my tiny 150 lbs rear end because he couldn't get lower than me.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I live in Boston now, but I grew up in the hood in Philly. We played a variation of 21 called "rough-house" to 45 points. First player to make a free throw decided all the calls for that game like travel, tips, or the ever popular "block party" where if you get blocked it puts you back to 0.

At 5'6 I was never a fan of tips or block party, but hey what can you do. My greatest accomplishment in one of these games was getting a surprise block on a kid who had something like 43 points. He got mad and said "now nobody's going to win." And no one did.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Block party sounds fantastic

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

BIZORT posted:

If I'm playing 21 one on one then I play tips since it's just the two of you. Otherwise I don't like playing tips since it rewards the fat guy that doesn't like to do anything but lay under the basket, as everyone has said. People play really lazy defense and will only guard threes or drives to the basket. My whole game revolved around garbage points near the bucket or 15 footers so I'd just calmly knock down free throw jumpers until I won. And I play 21 one on one because I am lazy and you get more breaks if you play that way.

I was not aware that people above elementary school age still played knockout

Knockout happens where I play (college rec center) seemingly only when a group of dudes who don't ever play pickup or basketball at all wander in to the gym, get wrecked in one game of pickup, then start proposing all sorts of weird schoolyard games everyone should play instead that they promise are "really really cool" if you'll just let them explain the rules. Meanwhile everyone looks at each other in shared understanding that this is just a big excuse for these guys to not have to play real sports

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

mynameisjohn posted:

AU how did the tourney go?

I finally got pictures on my computer then the forums died

My team got swept even though we were probably the favorite. Our second game we blew the lead on two banked in 3-pointers, which is bullshit and I should have suspended the tournament right there. We only ended up with 6 teams, after having 9 last year, but it was cool. We made a few hundred bucks to donate to a pre-school, and the winning team was a group of guys from the Coast Guard. They got $320. Then when we finished we had a lot of food leftover so we ate it all and played beer pong. A rousing success.

long two being made

weird perspective but this was a great move to get to the hoop

and me hitting a sweet fadeaway

Might post a few more later. It was awesome and lots of fun. May not wait a whole year to do the next.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That is a tiny gym

Or maybe the pictures kind of skew the perspective, idk

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Intruder posted:

That is a tiny gym

Or maybe the pictures kind of skew the perspective, idk

You're right, it is really tiny. It's about 2/3 the length of a real court and 3/4 the width. Works well enough for 3's or 4's, but we don't even attempt to try 5 even on a full court. Our 3 point arc is high schol distance but there are no baseline 3s because of the width issue.

I wish the rim height was proportional so I could jam on people and feel good about myself for a few seconds.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Accident Underwater posted:

You're right, it is really tiny. It's about 2/3 the length of a real court and 3/4 the width. Works well enough for 3's or 4's, but we don't even attempt to try 5 even on a full court. Our 3 point arc is high schol distance but there are no baseline 3s because of the width issue.

I wish the rim height was proportional so I could jam on people and feel good about myself for a few seconds.

There's really nothing better than playing full court basketball on a smaller court with shorter rims, like 9'6". Alot of people still can't dunk on those, so if you're somewhat tall and/or have decent hops, you can still get a sense of accomplishment from dunking on fools. :smuggo:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

iamsosmrt posted:

I live in Boston now, but I grew up in the hood in Philly. We played a variation of 21 called "rough-house" to 45 points. First player to make a free throw decided all the calls for that game like travel, tips, or the ever popular "block party" where if you get blocked it puts you back to 0.

At 5'6 I was never a fan of tips or block party, but hey what can you do. My greatest accomplishment in one of these games was getting a surprise block on a kid who had something like 43 points. He got mad and said "now nobody's going to win." And no one did.

Hahahahahhahahahha! Never thought I'd hear "Philly Rules" outside.of the city. Which hood?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Hahahahahhahahahha! Never thought I'd hear "Philly Rules" outside.of the city. Which hood?

Another Philly hood goon? I grew up in the Olney section, playing at this park near Central High. The main thing guys did there was smoke weed and play ball, often at the same time.

The one thing I really dislike about outdoor courts in Boston is the rampant availability of "Fan-shaped" backboards as opposed to the rectangular ones I know and love.

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Hey pickup thread hopefully you can give me some advice as I'm sure there are a few people here with the same problem.

I'm trying to find a pair of non-fleece warmup pants for basketball that will actually fit me. I'm a skinny 6'4" and wear a 32" waist and 35" inseam.

It looks like Nike / Jordan should make some M-Tall pants that would fit, but they are sold out on their website. Any recommendations on where to buy / which brands would fit?

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I play in a small league of 5 companies and my main contribution to our team is balls-out hustle and defense because that's all I'm really good at; I have poor offensive awareness and subpar handles. I have a nice floater though and an open jumper but again - handles. Basically, I'm a short and skinny Adrian Griffin.

On our next game we are going up against the only undefeated team in the tournament who blew out their last two assignments. They're a very beatable, average team IMO with no stand out players and pretty much play well due to one guy: a point guard that can distribute the ball efficiently and can also turn it up when he needs to but mostly from open shots and oddly-angled breakaway layups.

My strategy is to run a box and 1 and deny him the ball and not let him touch it the best I can which I really take pride in, but are we going by this the right way?

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Disharmony posted:

I play in a small league of 5 companies and my main contribution to our team is balls-out hustle and defense because that's all I'm really good at; I have poor offensive awareness and subpar handles. I have a nice floater though and an open jumper but again - handles. Basically, I'm a short and skinny Adrian Griffin.

On our next game we are going up against the only undefeated team in the tournament who blew out their last two assignments. They're a very beatable, average team IMO with no stand out players and pretty much play well due to one guy: a point guard that can distribute the ball efficiently and can also turn it up when he needs to but mostly from open shots and oddly-angled breakaway layups.

My strategy is to run a box and 1 and deny him the ball and not let him touch it the best I can which I really take pride in, but are we going by this the right way?

If their team can shoot they'll probably wreck this. Another issue with this is that once the guy you are denying the ball from actually gets his hands on the ball there will be huge cutting lanes that he can pass into.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Disharmony posted:

Nah if he's getting a ton of layups he can probably easily shake your ball denial with his quickness. Just keep him in front of you and make him shoot. That's definitely the best way to take down almost anyone you'll face in pickup.

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.
So I played my first few pick-up games (holy poo poo, it was fun) and have a few questions about how to deal with someone bigger and taller than you are. I'm an ok shooter and handler, but I do everything else fairly better, so I generally act as a center. I'm only 5'11 and go up against guys that have a few more inches on me. What can I do to keep them from taking advantage of their height over me? I already get more rebounds than they do, but they can shoot over me pretty easily, usually from post-ups.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If they've only got a couple inches on you, fronting them can be effective. I get a lot of steals when people try to go over the top with a pass because pickup players usually aren't very good at it

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Tailwhoop posted:

What can I do to keep them from taking advantage of their height over me? I already get more rebounds than they do, but they can shoot over me pretty easily, usually from post-ups.

You can try fronting them in the post. If someone is taller than you and a good shooter you can't completely shut them down, though. Just get in their space, make them uncomfortable, and force them to hit tough shots. Keep your hands active, especially if they try to put the ball down.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

If a guy shorter than me fronts me in the post then I loving eat them for lunch. Don't ever do that if the guy has decent hands at all.

I have a post or two I want to say like two pages back on guarding guys in the post that are bigger than you. Give that a look

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Deny them the post position they want in the first place. You're allowed a forearm into them. Get low and keep them off their spot. Then, if they do catch it, they're already farther out than they want to be. Stay low and into their body and immediately turn and box out when they shoot.

If they're huge and just want to drop their shoulder into you and bull you over, there's not much you can do beyond trying to grab the ball as you fall into a heap.

It helps if you have a decent team that can collapse and double off a non shooter who nevertheless camps the 3 point line.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
3 game winning threes hit today during 2v2, out of 9 total games. We play to 5, 2s are 1s, 3s are 2s, make it take it, don't have to pass in on check. I talked so much poo poo, it was glorious. On one, my teammate asked me "3?" as I got the ball checked to me, meaning our score and I say "Don't mind if I do!" and drain it for the win. Another one where it was 1-0 us, I drain a 3 after the check putting us up 3-0, say, "You know I'm putting that back up, right?" and I guess they didn't believe me because I did put that dang ball Right Back Up and ended it. These are all after breaking my glasses and playing essentially half blind. Needed a place to brag cause it felt super good after making GBS threads all over the court last week.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Brolander posted:

3 game winning threes hit today during 2v2, out of 9 total games. We play to 5, 2s are 1s, 3s are 2s, make it take it, don't have to pass in on check. I talked so much poo poo, it was glorious. On one, my teammate asked me "3?" as I got the ball checked to me, meaning our score and I say "Don't mind if I do!" and drain it for the win. Another one where it was 1-0 us, I drain a 3 after the check putting us up 3-0, say, "You know I'm putting that back up, right?" and I guess they didn't believe me because I did put that dang ball Right Back Up and ended it. These are all after breaking my glasses and playing essentially half blind. Needed a place to brag cause it felt super good after making GBS threads all over the court last week.

This is awesome, except games to 5 what the hell is that?

I played really really bad this week but I did jump completely over a person for an alley-oop layup and it's probably the closest I'll ever get to feeling like I dunked on someone.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

2v2 is terrible and games to 5 are insane, especially with 2 pointers. Do most games take less than 5 minutes?

4v4 is the perfect game in my opinion. 3v3 is nice too, with the extra space it opens. 5v5 always just ends with 8 dudes in the paint at all times.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Yeah it's goofy but we only have 4 dudes in our little group, some other guys sometimes but usually just us 4. We play best of 3 games to 5 with each combo of guys. Games can be quick but sometimes get really intense and take forever, especially game 3's. We aren't very good at basketball.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Brolander posted:

Yeah it's goofy but we only have 4 dudes in our little group, some other guys sometimes but usually just us 4. We play best of 3 games to 5 with each combo of guys. Games can be quick but sometimes get really intense and take forever, especially game 3's. We aren't very good at basketball.

Who cares as long as you're having fun and getting a sweat!

Tailwhoop
Oct 18, 2008

Luigi to Kobe's Mario.
So I played my first 5v5 full-court game and good lord does it suck. Perhaps I was teamed up with the wrong person but this little guy, that was built like a linebacker, never passed and only drove to the hoop in a fast break. He missed every time. Never got the opportunity to use the advise I was given about post-defense. Sorry. :(

Lights above the court shut off and a couple guys left. Night basketball is fun as hell. 4v4, half-court. There was just enough light to see everyone and the basket. Played the most glorious game of 21 I've been a part of. I was given the task of defending this guy who used a bunch of street basketball tricks to confuse players. I took the bait up until I got fed up and just put a hand in his face for as long as he had possession of the ball. That more or less stopped him from using trick plays. It also forced him to drive. He was a great shooter but a subpar finisher. We won 21-18. Would definitely love playing with that group of guys again. Would also like to add that it's pretty strange playing with guys that dont get tired during 21.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
What's the best way to defend a 1-on-1 fastbreak?

Beating them early to the middle is the most likely first step (which is easier said than done) but after that: do I wait for them to come to me so I can block or alter the shot or do I try to engage them early on and hopefully force a turnover or an extra pass?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If you can stop them before they are close enough to gather the ball for a layup, definitely do that. You want to force them to pull up and hit a jumper, rather than get a layup.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 30, 2014

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

Make them do something that is rather uncomfortable. Most inexperienced players are more worried about the defender on a fast break so make them react to you in any way and you've most likely won. Try not to leave your feet so you can get the rebound afterwards or it's all for naught

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I usually just get in front of the guy, put my hands up, and don't back down. Don't like, run in front of him and do this btw. That's dangerous as hell. But if you get into position well before a collision will happen more often than not the guy who's barreling down on you will realize he'll get hurt if he tries to Westbrook you and will gently caress up his fast break. I've stopped a ton of guys who were much taller and stronger than me doing this.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010

Doltos posted:

I usually just get in front of the guy, put my hands up, and don't back down. Don't like, run in front of him and do this btw. That's dangerous as hell. But if you get into position well before a collision will happen more often than not the guy who's barreling down on you will realize he'll get hurt if he tries to Westbrook you and will gently caress up his fast break. I've stopped a ton of guys who were much taller and stronger than me doing this.

I generally agree with this, but one time I did this and the guy I was defending just jumped and hit me directly in the chest with his knee. It was a dick move, he made the layup, and I looked like a chump! No serious injury occurred (and most players aren't dumb/mean enough to jump directly into contact at full speed)

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
You deserved it for trying to take a charge in a pickup game

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The disclaimer to that is you deserve a knee in the chest and to never call a charge in a pickup game because then that'd make you a double chump

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

My friend sort of did that and got a knee in the testicle, which ended up breaking, and he had to have surgery to remove it. He didn't try to take a charge necessarily but it was the same type of move. So yeah, don't do that. These aren't coordinated NBA athletes you're defending. They're uncoordinated shipping managers at UPS that play once every two weeks and have no idea they kick their legs out when they go in for layups

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
Some guy threw a shoulder in rec league yesterday and knocked me out for a few seconds. Went to the doctor and I for sure have a concussion.

gently caress man it's rec league and I was playing like poo poo. No need to knock me out. Hah.

• Locked thread