Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

RaySmuckles posted:

Hey guys, played a couple pick up games today, and I definitely need to improve my game. The Steve Nash video in the OP doesn't work, does anyone have any recommendations for self drills, or 2 person drills? Thanks.

Especially recommendations for improving speed? I got fat and slow.

You can't really improve your speed unless you lose weight or gain muscle.

The slower you get, the more you have to rely on fakes. The good news is that no one uses them so they work really well in pick up games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Get lower when you post up by crouching more, get more bend in the knees and stick what's left of your rear end out as much as you can. Use any newfound quickness and hops to extend fast and make up the fact that you're playing lower to the ground. Thats the same way you box out bigger/stronger dudes.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Being a post player is rough in pickup games. I have everything going against me.

1) I'm not tall, so no one thinks I'm able to play in the post
2) No one knows how to throw an entry pass
3) People seem to think anytime the ball is in the post, they should stop moving/cutting and watch
4) I'll make my first 3 shots, and never see the ball again

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

RCarr posted:

Being a post player is rough in pickup games. I have everything going against me.

This seems unlike every pickup game I've ever played or seen.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Depends who you play with obviously. Most of the time it's kids who think passing is a weakness or some poo poo and need to go 1v5 every game to show their dominance. If I don't dribble the ball down the court after a defensive rebound, I'm not getting a shot attempt.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

RCarr posted:

Depends who you play with obviously. Most of the time it's kids who think passing is a weakness or some poo poo and need to go 1v5 every game to show their dominance.

The people I play with (when I get to play 5 on 5) all hate screens for some reason. It's bizarre.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The guys I play with like to set screens on both sides of the ballhandler so he can go either way, nevermind that now you have three defenders there as well

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

RCarr posted:

3) People seem to think anytime the ball is in the post, they should stop moving/cutting and watch

Most of my friends have no problems with this but when we get some of the younger high school kids in to fill in our games those are issues.

They also like to make bullshit soft foul calls that we ignore because gently caress you kids.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The same people who hate screens are the ones who are dumbfounded when you play against them and are getting layups and free back door cuts all game. Do they not teach screens in middle/high school basketball anymore?

Like you run a pick and roll and they say "drat, how many times did you practice that play?"

Play? It's a pick and roll you idiot. You should be doing this all game.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I need to get out of the habit of picking up my dribble right after going around a screen expecting a roll because it happens like 10% of the time

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

About to play today after work. Feeling rusty as heck though. My hamstring's also bothering me. Main goal is to play good team ball, knock down a few 3s and set some bodyrockin' picks.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

RCarr posted:

1 2 and 4 are directly related, it might not look that way from the inside, but it gets harder to get the ball inside as the game goes on, people adjust to it. It would be helped by 3, but i'll give you that, it sucks when people stand around doing nothing.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Intruder posted:

I need to get out of the habit of picking up my dribble right after going around a screen expecting a roll because it happens like 10% of the time

This is annoying as hell. I just wish people would roll and roll in a way that I can get them the ball.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Scrapez posted:

You can't really improve your speed unless you lose weight or gain muscle.

The slower you get, the more you have to rely on fakes. The good news is that no one uses them so they work really well in pick up games.

Sort of. Sarcopenia kicks in around 25-35 so usually a loss of speed can be attributed to a loss of muscle strength and endurance in the legs. You can actually teach speed. If you're unhappy with your current speed get in the gym and start doing leg presses, deadlifts, and squats. Once you get good functional strength (about 4 weeks into strength training the legs, increasing load by about 5-10% a week and working out 2-3x a week max as well) you can start working on power exercises. Vertical jumps and box jumps are great for specificity training and for power training in the legs. There's also a variety of basketball drills you can practice by yourself to improve court speed.

Also another thing to point out is that aerobic capacity needs to match the energy system you're using. Typically in organized basketball you're seeing about 1-3 minutes of action on any given shift interspersed with constant breaks for timeouts, free throws, and general stoppages. This mean's you're going between the ATP/PCr system and the Glycolytic system constantly, which means you should train your aerobic capacity using Interval or Fartlek training methods (high intensity interspersed with low intensity for Interval, and randomized intensities with Fartlek). However in pickup your stoppages are usually up to you. Kids take breaks midway through possessions or don't run back on defense or call time for a quick water depending on where you're playing. This means if you want to improve your speed you should be focusing on short bursts before training yourself up to be fast throughout a typical time period of a pick up game. Training has to match what you're doing in the game or else what good is it?

So don't worry, you can train speed. Just hit the gym, do leg exercises for strength, transition into power exercises once strength plateaus, and raise your aerobic capacity by going out and doing some shuttle runs above your lactic break point.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

JRizzle posted:

This is annoying as hell. I just wish people would roll and roll in a way that I can get them the ball.

I always cut/roll behind my defender. So dumb…Gotta get better at that.

Thanks for the tips. Any centralized resources like "basketballdrills.com"

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?

RaySmuckles posted:

I always cut/roll behind my defender. So dumb…Gotta get better at that.

Thanks for the tips. Any centralized resources like "basketballdrills.com"

Screens can be tricky and it also depends a lot on the size of the court and how the rest of your team is spacing the floor. The guys I used to play with a lot would all crowd the paint so it was usually impossible to run the pick & roll (but a pick & pop would work really well).

Anyway, here's the USA Basketball youth development website, some good drills & articles: http://www.usab.com/youth/development.aspx

Time to revive sneaker chat: I'm finally getting back into playing but my old shoes have no tread on them - any recommendations for a good indoor shoe (specifically for wide/flat feet)?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'll recommend the Reebok D-Rose sneakers. I'm a size 12 with wide feet and they fit me really well. I like them a lot.

My buddy really likes the new LeBron's but I can't justify spending $180 on a sneaker that basically can only be used indoors.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I like Hyperdunks, but I have normal size feet. If you have a Nike outlet near you, you can easily find a pair for around 60 bucks.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

the wildest turkey posted:

Screens can be tricky and it also depends a lot on the size of the court and how the rest of your team is spacing the floor. The guys I used to play with a lot would all crowd the paint so it was usually impossible to run the pick & roll (but a pick & pop would work really well).

Anyway, here's the USA Basketball youth development website, some good drills & articles: http://www.usab.com/youth/development.aspx

Time to revive sneaker chat: I'm finally getting back into playing but my old shoes have no tread on them - any recommendations for a good indoor shoe (specifically for wide/flat feet)?

Kyrie 1 or the Air Zoom Soldier 8s. I have ridiculously flat feet and both of these work for me. Go get some orthotics though!

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

the wildest turkey posted:

I love. LOVE. Under Armour Anatomix Spawn. They are so comfortable and the mobility is great. The shoes I wore previously were the Hyperdunks 2013 (great at the time, but stiff once heels are locked down); they are still in good shape but I just can't get myself to wear them anymore because of how great the Anatomix Spawn feel. I have the breathable original, and not the Anatomix Spawn 2 by the way. This is one of those rare cases where the design philosophy actually worked and comes through in on court play. :allears: I will milk these shoes til they're smooth and never. NEVER. ever take them outdoors (what the Hyperdunks is used for now).

They hold up great too. I've played regularly 1-3 times a week since September and the treads are still as good as new (only once outdoors).

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think it's a universal law that holds true on every planet that the moment you get ready for summer basketball you jam the poo poo out of your loving thumb.

drat it this is going to suck for the next sixth months.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Are the HyperRev's 2014 edition any good for perimeter defense and overall quickness? Looking to give up on my 1st gen Micro G Torch in favor of it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I need to find out if I'm a liar. Do you have to be facing the guy you're setting a pick on? I got frustrated last week when one guy set a pick and just stood there facing the basket while my man kept going back and forth behind him so I kept having to run underneath the pick to not run into the pick setter's hip

I could swear I've seen illegal screens called for not being set up facing the defender

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Intruder posted:

I need to find out if I'm a liar. Do you have to be facing the guy you're setting a pick on? I got frustrated last week when one guy set a pick and just stood there facing the basket while my man kept going back and forth behind him so I kept having to run underneath the pick to not run into the pick setter's hip

I could swear I've seen illegal screens called for not being set up facing the defender

I mean if it's true I break the rule all the time with hip screens as I pretend to roll and get my guy a second screen with my back turned for an open three.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Nahh you don't have to be facing the dude you are setting a screen on.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well poo poo. Glad I didn't call it then, though I did say something after the game

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Intruder posted:

Well poo poo. Glad I didn't call it then, though I did say something after the game

Cant really call it in the game short of saying, "man loving face the guy you're picking at least," then calling him an idiot if he keeps doing it. Really the only poo poo I ever see get called in pickup are obvious travels, someone obviously stepping out of bounds, someone's wrists getting slapped on a shot or their arm getting barred when they're going up for a layup, and kick balls. I was playing 21 with some dudes at the university the other day and one got straight elbowed in the mouth and got blood pouring out and he still didn't call foul.

Today some kid got called for shuffling his feet before passing and the court argued for like two solid minutes before getting back into it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got called for a foul because on a loose ball both I and another dude dove for it and I got both hands on it, but as he was reaching for it he hit his thumb on my shoulder

Yeah. Seriously.

I also got this huge friction burn on the back of my calf that I have no idea how or when I got it, I just remember feeling this terrible stinging when sweat ran into it and looking down and seeing it. Every time I walk today the inside of my pants leg brushes against it, it sucks so bad

Intruder fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 20, 2015

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Intruder posted:

I got called for a foul because on a loose ball both I and another dude dove for it and I got both hands on it, but as he was reaching for it he hit his thumb on my shoulder

Yeah. Seriously.

I also got this huge friction burn on the back of my calf that I have no idea how or when I got it, I just remember feeling this terrible stinging when sweat ran into it and looking down and seeing it. Every time I walk today the inside of my pants leg brushes against it, it sucks so bad

I've gotten something like that when someone jumps and their sneaker slides down my lower leg.

I'll never understand people calling weak fouls in pickup, you look like a loser and half the possessions end up in turnovers anyway. I don't think I've called a foul in like a month, and I play 5 or 6 games a week. I mean, a foul is a foul, if it's for real no one will complain, but I can't stand the guys that call something every drive like they're in the NBA.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

RCarr posted:

Nahh you don't have to be facing the dude you are setting a screen on.

I hope not, because I'd break this rule every game. I watched Joakim Noah setting plenty of basket facing picks and running right in for easy dump passes or good rebound positioning and figured it was a pretty good move. As long you set yourself first, I think it's fine.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

My favorite is the guy who wildly bull charges into the lane anytime he touches the ball and calls a foul if the shot doesn't go in. gently caress that guy.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Accident Underwater posted:

I'll never understand people calling weak fouls in pickup, you look like a loser and half the possessions end up in turnovers anyway. I don't think I've called a foul in like a month, and I play 5 or 6 games a week. I mean, a foul is a foul, if it's for real no one will complain, but I can't stand the guys that call something every drive like they're in the NBA.

Because it's a win-win, they either make you play farther away and give him space, or you end being too overeager and foul him a lot, validating his whining. Every court in the world has those guys.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

RCarr posted:

My favorite is the guy who wildly bull charges into the lane anytime he touches the ball and calls a foul if the shot doesn't go in. gently caress that guy.

Yeah, we have that guy, he also happens to be one of the best scorers we play with which makes it even worse since if you actually contest his shot to make him miss he calls a foul for the most minor of contact but if you back off he's probably going to make the shot every time

That's why lately he just gets completely mugged, might as well since he's going to call a foul anyway and it takes away the chance of the shot going in

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

RCarr posted:

The guy who does that at the park I play at is affectionately called "bull."

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Intruder posted:

Yeah, we have that guy, he also happens to be one of the best scorers we play with which makes it even worse since if you actually contest his shot to make him miss he calls a foul for the most minor of contact but if you back off he's probably going to make the shot every time

That's why lately he just gets completely mugged, might as well since he's going to call a foul anyway and it takes away the chance of the shot going in

That's really funny you say that. The guy I play with that I was talking about is one of the best scorers on the court as well. He's also a big juice head and will try to start fights with you if you call him on his bullshit.

A few weeks ago he hurt his knee and you could tell no one felt bad for him.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

RCarr posted:

I agree but there's another version of this dude I hate even more. He plays normal all game then as soon as it's game point he starts bull rushing and every time he calls a foul. It pisses me off even more because you think you're having a friendly game with the dude and then bam, he Chris Pauls your rear end.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I like his counterpart, the big fat short guy who can't move very well and doesn't have any appreciable skill so instead he never calls anything when he gets fouled then uses that as an excuse to foul the poo poo out of everyone on the other team because if he didn't call it then neither should they

I think I called a foul on a pass for the first time ever last night. It was tied at game point and I made an outlet pass down the court, only the pass never reached my teammate because my arm was stopped mid-motion by a hard as gently caress foul and I took a lot of poo poo for calling something on a pass

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
gently caress them that's legit, anytime you lose control of the ball because someone whacks your arm is an easy call, be it pass, shot, or dribble.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I also had one of my more embarrassing moments. I was all alone on a break and had two defenders in front of me, I try to euro between them since like 95% of the time in pickup they'll try to get out of each others way, instead they close the elevator doors on me and I'm in the air at this point so I spin around and try to pass it to basically anyone, had a teammate about five feet behind me who wasn't ready for it so my at this point wild pass goes through his hands, bounces off of his face and goes to the other team

:downs:

I break the "Don't jump without a plan" rule all the loving time

Intruder fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Intruder posted:

I also had one of my more embarrassing moments. I was all alone on a break and had two defenders in front of me, I try to euro between them since like 95% of the time in pickup they'll try to get out of each others way, instead they close the elevator doors on me and I'm in the air at this point so I spin around and try to pass it to basically anyone, had a teammate about five feet behind me who wasn't ready for it so my at this point wild pass goes through his hands, bounces off of his face and goes to the other team

:downs:

I break the "Don't jump without a plan" rule all the loving time

Its kind of a dumb "rule" anyway. Dont do it all the time, and probably not when you're just learning the game, but when you have a good feel for the game, jumping and changing your mind mid air to pass it to an open teammate isn't a bad thing.

• Locked thread