Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I actually honestly can't remember ever seeing someone call a foul on an outlet pass or passes in general. I think that's because a lot of people play off on defense to avoid giving up a drive and never really get close to foul on normal passes. And on outlets I think I'd be embarrassed to call a foul on a pass unless the other guy says something first.

A lot of what goes into my game is making sure regulars on the court like me so I get picked up more and sit less. I let a ton of poo poo go foul wise for this reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Doltos posted:

I actually honestly can't remember ever seeing someone call a foul on an outlet pass or passes in general. I think that's because a lot of people play off on defense to avoid giving up a drive and never really get close to foul on normal passes. And on outlets I think I'd be embarrassed to call a foul on a pass unless the other guy says something first.

A lot of what goes into my game is making sure regulars on the court like me so I get picked up more and sit less. I let a ton of poo poo go foul wise for this reason.

You guys don't shoot for teams? Everywhere I go you shoot to get on if there's an odd number of players.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Accident Underwater posted:

You guys don't shoot for teams? Everywhere I go you shoot to get on if there's an odd number of players.

Oh yeah to start but once the games get rolling and people are waiting for the court to open it's nice to have the guy who has next pick you up so you can keep playing

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
Played on a team with some old guy and his son or grandson today who proceeded to bark out orders and giving me grief for leaving my man during a 3 on 4 fast break to contest the wide open corner 3; which I did successfully and forced the pass back up the top of the arc, where my guy then catches the outlet pass and drains a 3. Honestly, if he was going to yell, it should've been at the next closest guy who should've 'helped the helper'. It should not have been at a guy who was at least attempting to force either a contested shot or pass out.

That's who I hate playing with. Old guy quarterback.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I know they're probably sold for 8x the production cost, but the made in USA nike basketball socks are great, they might be the greatest. I can go for so much longer without footaches

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Caught some games at the famed Rucker Park summer tournament in NYC earlier this summer. Fun atmosphere with MCs narrating the game and a DJ slinging music.

Players are pretty drat fit. Going to the rack is not for the timid.

Surprised to see that they play on lowered rims- maybe 9.5'.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

socketwrencher posted:

Haha what? That's ridiculous.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

RCarr posted:

Haha what? That's ridiculous.

i thought so too. A couple locals said it's so there's more dunking.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

I know they're probably sold for 8x the production cost, but the made in USA nike basketball socks are great, they might be the greatest. I can go for so much longer without footaches

Might have to try them because I spend the hours between ball and bed alternating between walking gingerly around the house and using the shiatsu foot massager I've at this point basically confiscated from my wife

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

socketwrencher posted:

Caught some games at the famed Rucker Park summer tournament in NYC earlier this summer. Fun atmosphere with MCs narrating the game and a DJ slinging music.

Players are pretty drat fit. Going to the rack is not for the timid.

So Above the Rim was actually accurate?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Intruder posted:

Might have to try them because I spend the hours between ball and bed alternating between walking gingerly around the house and using the shiatsu foot massager I've at this point basically confiscated from my wife

The socks are great. People say the official NBA socks are the best, but the stores nearest to me don't sell them, so I can't buy them enough for my sake rotation purposes.

Have you tried wrapping your ankles and your insoles? That helps a lot. If I don't, the big knobby bone on the top of the arch aches forevermore.

My strategy now is to wrap everything, I wrap insoles, ankles, knees, and elbows. When you pass 26 any lateral movement in the joints comes back to haunt you, better to prevent it at the source.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

cisneros posted:

So Above the Rim was actually accurate?

Dunno, haven't seen it.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Dejan Bimble posted:

The socks are great. People say the official NBA socks are the best, but the stores nearest to me don't sell them, so I can't buy them enough for my sake rotation purposes.

Have you tried wrapping your ankles and your insoles? That helps a lot. If I don't, the big knobby bone on the top of the arch aches forevermore.

My strategy now is to wrap everything, I wrap insoles, ankles, knees, and elbows. When you pass 26 any lateral movement in the joints comes back to haunt you, better to prevent it at the source.

What do you wrap it with?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I don't really want to shave my ankles :v:

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

socketwrencher posted:

What do you wrap it with?

I used to use plain bandages, but then I developed an allergy to the latex, so I bought some FUTURO brand ankle/knee/elbow wraps

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

Slowly but surely you will become a compression sleeve like Kirk Hinrich.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I used to use plain bandages, but then I developed an allergy to the latex, so I bought some FUTURO brand ankle/knee/elbow wraps

Thanks. I'm going to give it a try for the ankles.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Dejan Bimble posted:

but then I developed an allergy to the latex

sure, that's what they all say

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
This might go against conventional wisdom in the thread, but I can attest that wrapping is not as necessary as I once thought (at least pre-30). From personal experience, strength conditioning, endurance training and stretching the lower extremities are really the best thing to avoid joint pains. There was a period of time in my early 20's where I felt like every joints in my body was breaking down, and I had to start wearing pads and wraps when I worked out or played. What finally worked for me, was to switch to a high collagen/elastin diet whenever I exercised; strengthening my hamstrings, shins and ankles to prevent rolls, giving up lifting more than my body weight in squats and a brief period of therapy via yoga. What was also instrumental was playing in footwear that had proper padding and feels light on my feet. Now I'm 28 and I just need my trusty sneakers and I can play anytime and feel like I did when I was in high school.

thompson
Jun 6, 2006
So over the last 4 months I've been installing a Euro Step. Am I the only one who finds it easier to do with my off hand? I swear Euroing left, right, and then finishing left while protecting my left with my body is much easier than Euroing with my right. Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone else found this when they Euro.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

danucleus posted:

This might go against conventional wisdom in the thread, but I can attest that wrapping is not as necessary as I once thought (at least pre-30). From personal experience, strength conditioning, endurance training and stretching the lower extremities are really the best thing to avoid joint pains. There was a period of time in my early 20's where I felt like every joints in my body was breaking down, and I had to start wearing pads and wraps when I worked out or played. What finally worked for me, was to switch to a high collagen/elastin diet whenever I exercised; strengthening my hamstrings, shins and ankles to prevent rolls, giving up lifting more than my body weight in squats and a brief period of therapy via yoga. What was also instrumental was playing in footwear that had proper padding and feels light on my feet. Now I'm 28 and I just need my trusty sneakers and I can play anytime and feel like I did when I was in high school.

Wrapping your joints and muscles are used for a variety of reasons that depend from person to person. So you're right that wrapping for everyone isn't necessary, but it is for a lot of people.

Strength conditioning and endurance training are great, same with stretching, but everything has to be done with specificity. Specificity basically just means train/stretch to mimic the actions you'll take in game. Pickup basketball is a bit different than normal basketball in that the games are shorter but you don't get a break until the game is over. That means if you're playing a 20 minute game you're surpassing the glycolytic energy system and enter into the oxidative one, the energy system long distance runners use.

So basically if you want to keep your joints healthy wrapping can be smart, but restricting joint movement isn't always great, especially if you jump a lot or shoot a lot. Like big guys who wrap their knees in the NBA do so because they're only jumping for rebounds or standing dunks. But if you're a 5'11 weekend warrior playing PG and your repertoire is exclusively outside turn around jumpers, then limiting the plane of movement and the range of movement of your joints isn't that smart. Arm sleeves/leg sleeves are also used for stability. Like you know why you use a lifting belt? It gives stability to the spinal column by increasing abdominal pressure through restricting the flow of blood (side note: people who wear weight belts all the time at the gym and never take them off are doing themselves no favors at all for long term muscle strength). Same concept with arm sleeves/leg sleeves. You should only wear the compression kind if you actually have problems with blood pooling in your feet or you have ridiculously long arms that get cold. Normal non-compression wraps are fine though. Look like Kirk Hinrich, we all secretly know it's cool as poo poo to wear four sleeves.

Stretching is really weird. Basically there is a ton of research that says it helps prevent injuries and also does nothing to prevent injuries. In fact, many people stretch completely wrong. Like they'll stretch out their elbows and knees with an isocentric movement, hold it there for 10-15 seconds, and all of a sudden they actually weakened the ligaments in their joints, which means they'll lift less/jump lower. Stretching should always mimic the action you're taking in game. So for basketball it's really good to roll from the heel to the balls of your feet and hold it for just a moment or two. Mimicing running helps too, so like putting your arm against the wall and moving your leg back and forth. Also believe it or not skipping is like one of the best stretches you can do for basketball. It's why you see NBA players skip around the court early. Moving your hips up and down while keeping stride smoothly is basically an awesome warmup and great for your joints.

And if you're an old gently caress and you don't want to get gassed in the middle of a game, just go outside and walk/jog/run.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 29, 2015

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

thompson posted:

So over the last 4 months I've been installing a Euro Step. Am I the only one who finds it easier to do with my off hand? I swear Euroing left, right, and then finishing left while protecting my left with my body is much easier than Euroing with my right. Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone else found this when they Euro.

I'll tell you once I can consistently euro without straight up crashing into the guy I'm trying to go around :v:

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Intruder posted:

I'll tell you once I can consistently euro without straight up crashing into the guy I'm trying to go around :v:

Hey that's part of the fun! That's what gets me to the line in the grand scheme of things which is a very good place to be. It doesn't have to always look clean and i'm sure most of the time it doesn't. :)

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
:corsair: checking in. Getting old blows.

The good: Hit 14 straight college 3s warming up.
The bad: Tweaked my knee warming up and limped home.

Funny thing about 3 point shooting: I find it much easier to shoot elbow 3s then corner 3s. Conventional wisdom says the corner 3 is the easiest because of the distance but the better depth perception helps a lot imo.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

thompson posted:

That's weird man heh! Are you a right handed shooter who usually leaps off the left foot?

I like to do this too (without the dunking). It's similar to the classic left-right-left euro but here you bounce the ball to your right (the left side of the defender) then skip over to the left in one stride: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E-l-iiG_aA. It works really well in traffic, where that 2 step hop / stride allows you to go between two people more explosively than the classic Euro. It's especially great vs a shorty since you can cradle the ball over his head while you bring it over off the dribble.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 29, 2015

thompson
Jun 6, 2006

Boosh! posted:

Funny thing about 3 point shooting: I find it much easier to shoot elbow 3s then corner 3s. Conventional wisdom says the corner 3 is the easiest because of the distance but the better depth perception helps a lot imo.

Bummer about the knees dude. I've been lucky with those...knock on wood. Foam roller for life though!

It sounds like you're able to replicate your stroke really easily though from everywhere but the corners. I was very similar in that I was also a pretty decent 3 point shooter but I had the same problem with the corner 3. I tinkered with it last year as I found myself hanging on the wings all the time and my inability to consistently hit from the corner was limiting the space I had to really work in. Guys were sagging off of me there after I missed one or two which really kills my ability to Euro, drive baseline, and do all of the fun stupid stuff! I started releasing the ball with a minimally higher trajectory (I let it float up instead of through off of the fingers) from the corners with the same overall amount of power and it seemed to fix it. Give it a shot and see if it works for ya! It worked for me but who loving knows if it will work for anyone else. I don't even know if I did a good job of explaining it.

Boosh! posted:

That's weird man heh! Are you a right handed shooter who usually leaps off the left foot?

I like to do this too (without the dunking). It's similar to the classic left-right-left euro but here you bounce the ball to your right (the left side of the defender) then skip over to the left in one stride: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E-l-iiG_aA. It works really well in traffic, where that 2 step hop / stride allows you to go between two people more explosively than the classic Euro. It's especially great vs a shorty since you can cradle the ball over his head while you bring it over off the dribble.

Yes my plant leg is actually my left on my shot. As long as that foot is set i'm usually good to go. It's definitely my dominant foot and this is likely because it's how you serve in tennis, my dominant sport through the years.

It looks exactly like this on both sides of the hoop but less athletic i'm sure!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPJ1JRVpbZk

Oh man that Wade Euro move will go nicely in the arsenal. I get out on the run a lot and am faced with those odd man situations quite a bit. That's a really nice way to get some space for one hand or another as you could use it on both sides. Can't wait to test that out, thanks for the vid!

thompson fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 29, 2015

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Regnevelc posted:

sure, that's what they all say

Hahaha it causes micro-tears and is nearly inevitable!!!!!!

Doltos posted:

Wrapping your joints and muscles are used for a variety of reasons that depend from person to person. So you're right that wrapping for everyone isn't necessary, but it is for a lot of people.

Strength conditioning and endurance training are great, same with stretching, but everything has to be done with specificity. Specificity basically just means train/stretch to mimic the actions you'll take in game. Pickup basketball is a bit different than normal basketball in that the games are shorter but you don't get a break until the game is over. That means if you're playing a 20 minute game you're surpassing the glycolytic energy system and enter into the oxidative one, the energy system long distance runners use.

So basically if you want to keep your joints healthy wrapping can be smart, but restricting joint movement isn't always great, especially if you jump a lot or shoot a lot. Like big guys who wrap their knees in the NBA do so because they're only jumping for rebounds or standing dunks. But if you're a 5'11 weekend warrior playing PG and your repertoire is exclusively outside turn around jumpers, then limiting the plane of movement and the range of movement of your joints isn't that smart. Arm sleeves/leg sleeves are also used for stability. Like you know why you use a lifting belt? It gives stability to the spinal column by increasing abdominal pressure through restricting the flow of blood (side note: people who wear weight belts all the time at the gym and never take them off are doing themselves no favors at all for long term muscle strength). Same concept with arm sleeves/leg sleeves. You should only wear the compression kind if you actually have problems with blood pooling in your feet or you have ridiculously long arms that get cold. Normal non-compression wraps are fine though. Look like Kirk Hinrich, we all secretly know it's cool as poo poo to wear four sleeves.

Stretching is really weird. Basically there is a ton of research that says it helps prevent injuries and also does nothing to prevent injuries. In fact, many people stretching completely wrong. Like they'll stretching out their elbows and knees with an isocentric movement, hold it there for 10-15 seconds, and all of a sudden they actually weakened the ligaments in their joints, which means they'll lift less/jump lower. Stretching should always mimic the action you're taking in game. So for basketball it's really good to roll from the heel to the balls of your feet and hold it for just a moment or two. Mimicing running helps too, so like putting your arm against the wall and moving your leg back and forth. Also believe it or not skipping is like one of the best stretches you can do for basketball. It's why you see NBA players skip around the court early. Moving your hips up and down while keeping stride smoothly is basically an awesome warmup and great for your joints.

And if you're an old gently caress and you don't want to get gassed in the middle of a game, just go outside and walk/jog/run.

Thank you for the info. I have a food sensitivity that I didn't know I had for a few years, and part of the triggered immune response was against my joints, which left me with arthritis-like pains in the ones that got the most wear. If I know I haven' had any exposure in a while, then I'll play without wrapping them, but if I've had any exposure in the last week or so, or I've just been playing a lot, I wrap them, just based on what hurt and what didn't hurt when/where.

The Arnie Kander training tip videos on pistons.com have some good stuff in the vein you're recommending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwswF-KSqco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist
Here are some short videos that show some basketball drills

He was forcibly demoted by Stan Van Gundy, after overseeing one of the healthiest teams in the NBA during his tenure. Van Gundy is a huge fat rear end in a top hat

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 29, 2015

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Had one of those nights that makes it extra painful when you have a poo poo night the next week. It was beautiful but I definitely played above my level

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Boosh! posted:

Elbow 3s are definitely way easier for me. Top of the key around the elbows. Corner threes are tough. I was always impressed with the guys that could make them consistently because it's easier to get open down there on the baseline.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

Doltos posted:

Stretching is really weird. Basically there is a ton of research that says it helps prevent injuries and also does nothing to prevent injuries. In fact, many people stretch completely wrong. Like they'll stretch out their elbows and knees with an isocentric movement, hold it there for 10-15 seconds, and all of a sudden they actually weakened the ligaments in their joints, which means they'll lift less/jump lower. Stretching should always mimic the action you're taking in game. So for basketball it's really good to roll from the heel to the balls of your feet and hold it for just a moment or two. Mimicing running helps too, so like putting your arm against the wall and moving your leg back and forth. Also believe it or not skipping is like one of the best stretches you can do for basketball. It's why you see NBA players skip around the court early. Moving your hips up and down while keeping stride smoothly is basically an awesome warmup and great for your joints.

Yeah I agree with everything you're saying. I didn't know about skipping though, that makes common sense once you point it out.

Good to know about the weight belts. I was always kind of skeptical of it, good to know there's scientific logic that backs up the skepticism. I guess short term it'll still help with getting over the hump? Or maybe it's just much better to lower weights and get better rest?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

You good 3 point shooters, how consistent are you in practice? 3 pointers are generally my main offense (I'm short and unathletic) but I'd say in practice I'm probably around 60% on a good day. I see the guy posting about hitting 14 in a row though, which I've never done. I think i've gotten to around 10-12 a few times in my life but usually I'll hit maybe 3-6 in a row before a miss or two.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

iamsosmrt posted:

You good 3 point shooters, how consistent are you in practice? 3 pointers are generally my main offense (I'm short and unathletic) but I'd say in practice I'm probably around 60% on a good day. I see the guy posting about hitting 14 in a row though, which I've never done. I think i've gotten to around 10-12 a few times in my life but usually I'll hit maybe 3-6 in a row before a miss or two.

I feel like I hit the same percentage when covered in a game as I do while practicing. I can hit stretches of makes practicing, but I likely don't pay as much attention as in game. Too easy to over think while just shooting around.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

I definitely hit a lot higher percentage when practicing. In a game situation, you can't always get squared up and set, not to mention some dude flying through the air at you.

That said, I probably hit 75%+ if I'm practicing just set position shots. A dribble for rhythm and shoot. Now, a lot of the time when I'm practicing 3s, I'm starting in the lane, throwing the ball up in the air out to the 3 point line, letting it bounce as I sprint out to the elbow, catching it to simulate a pass and then shooting. When I do this, I'm under 50%.

Practicing set shots is great and you need to do that but I get much more out of simulating what I'm going to be doing in an actual game which is sprinting out to the 3 point line to leave my defender, catching a pass and shooting before he can recover.

I've seen a lot of guys that were dead-eye shooters in practice when they could take their time and be set but you get them in a game where there is someone guarding them and they drop way off because they just stand in one spot or if they move to get open, they can't stop and make a shot.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

danucleus posted:

Good to know about the weight belts. I was always kind of skeptical of it, good to know there's scientific logic that backs up the skepticism. I guess short term it'll still help with getting over the hump? Or maybe it's just much better to lower weights and get better rest?

The NFHS guidelines for using a weight belt is only for an attempted one rep max. You're supposed to put it on and tighten it only right before you attempt a one rep max, then immediately take it off. Like I said in my other post, what weight belts actually do is apply pressure to the blood in your abdominal cavity in order to put stability on your lower spine. Your lower spine being stable basically allows maximal muscular force to transition through your body, so if you're super stable you can transfer all your lift from your legs to your core to your arms if you're doing a power clean, or your legs to your legs to your hamstrings to your lower back if you're doing dead lifts. If you wear a tightened belt all the time then your abdominal core is never getting stronger, and in fact you're weakening your abdominal core over time.

People love belts. They'll wear them tightened constantly and nothing you can say will keep them from taking them off. It's like people and their compression sleeves; they like the accessories to make them look cooler. You'll still get big wearing a belt all the time, it's just not very healthy/efficient.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Boosh! posted:

I'm the same way.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Anyone have a recommendation for some solid men's basketball shoes in the $60-100 price range? This might be useful to have in the OP.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I like mine quite a bit, they had some grip issues when they were new but that seems to have gone away so either the floor was dirty or I broke them in

Nike Overplay VIII, ~$50

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for some solid men's basketball shoes in the $60-100 price range? This might be useful to have in the OP.

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/zoom-hyperrev-2015-basketball-shoe/pid-1607480/pgid-10977356

on sale plus if you use "BACK2SPORT" you get an additional 20% off for a total of $71.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Salvor_Hardin posted:

DRose's adidas are on sale on footlocker right now for 90 bucks and they're pretty top tier. Seconding Nike Overplay VIII's and Nike's in general. They make a shoe called the Hyp3rfresh that's pretty good, same with the Zoom. Both are about 80ish bucks depending on where you get them. I personally use Nike's women's shoes because I'm broke as gently caress and they were given to me free and they fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Intruder posted:

I like mine quite a bit, they had some grip issues when they were new but that seems to have gone away so either the floor was dirty or I broke them in

Nike Overplay VIII, ~$50

Awesome, they look good. Thanks.

• Locked thread