Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

How old are you anyway? My old boss used to play with us. He was about 63, used to throw 'bows all the time and called every dinky touch foul you can think of. He was pretty decent for his age but by the time he retired (from work and balling with us), it was pretty much a joke amongst the rest of us that he'd call a foul on anything.

We have a few mid 40 year olds around who are pretty good about moving the ball around though. Generally they're similar to how you describe yourself as far as trying to move the ball and direct younger guys. Men who've accepted that they're no longer at their best. I'm in my early 30s myself and find myself accepting my physical limitations more and more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Old men can never shoot the three with any reliability. They are kings of the standing uncontested layup and will always put it up with a two handed volleyball set shot. Old men will always ask to switch on defense with a shy smile. Old men play the best sweaty chest face in your face perimeter defense that quashes all threes and lets by all driving layups. Old men set the best sweaty screens that work because no one wants to run into them. Old men wear low top adidas running shoes to the court. Old men have a turn around fade shot that would make Nowitzki blush, but it only goes in from one specific spot on the court. Old men give everyone on both sides of the court a hand shake after the game while being completely red in the face from running for 10 minutes.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Doltos posted:

Old men have a turn around fade shot that would make Nowitzki blush, but it only goes in from one specific spot on the court.

This is canon

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I play with this one older guy who gets really upset if you don't pass him the ball even though he never moves from his one spot on the floor so his defender can basically stand in front of him waiting to play help defense if needed. When he does get the ball, he either tosses up an ugly baby hook or a runner, neither of which ever manages to get higher than the rim except once in a blue moon, then complains that he doesn't know what's going on with his shot (for the fifth year running now)

Dude, in warmups you can't even make an 8 foot jumper, why are you tossing up an 18 foot running hook?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

iamsosmrt posted:

How old are you anyway?

49. I think I'm the oldest poster on the SA forums.

Doltos posted:

Old men do things.

Go gently caress yourself.

It's gonna happen to you too, guru. I've read your posts through this whole thread and you don't come off as Ray Allen or Kevin McHale either. It's coming. You won't even have to wait for it. You think you suck now?. Sorry for getting old and still enjoying playing basketball occasionally though.

Everything I've read that old guys do and pisses off people is not how I play at all. I catch more elbows and roughhouse poo poo from the younger set, frankly. The reason our threes don't drain is simply because we don't practice as much. We're also, yes, older and weaker than we used to be, especially in the leg and back areas. We get tired faster too.

Ah, who am I kidding? Yeah, we suck, but not entirely.

Reading most of what you guys post, I bet most of you would enjoy having me on your team. If you guys cut, screen, move, post up, look for backdoor cuts, roll off a pick or get out on an outlet pass I got you. I can also box out. If I can't hit, I stop shooting and wasting possessions, unlike some types I could name.

As you get older, fundamentals become more important than ever. If you young dumb fuckers would move once in a while, rotate the ball, space, crash the boards, hit an open 10 foot jumper and quit jacking up dumb threes once in a while you might win with an old dude on your team. We can't do what the young bloods can do but we know what we're supposed to do.

See? You guys are the reason I'm old and I suck at basketball. I'm tired of it. You dicks.

Now get off my lawn. Or my court. Off.

*posts "old man yells at cloud" meme*

*has heart attack*

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I play with a 70 year old dude that's wet as hell from 3

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

BiggerBoat posted:

It's gonna happen to you too, guru. I've read your posts through this whole thread and you don't come off as Ray Allen or Kevin McHale either.

I model my game after present day Lamar Odom

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Doltos posted:

Nothing like a brothel to warmup the jumpshot

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Doltos posted:

Thanks for making me laugh tonight.

You know what cracks me up every time I read this thread? I picture a 10 man All Goon squad complied entirely of our avatars. So far, I have my starting five:

Point Guard

Shooting Guard

Small Forward

Power Foward

Center

That's quite a squad even though we're undersized at center.

How'd you like to see that poo poo come running at you on a sunny Sunday afternoon? That tiny ape at the point can mad dish and that power forward just straight up murders people who gets in his way.

Here's my bench:

PG

SG

SF

PF

C

My god, we'd straight up destroy people. They'd run in fear at the very sight of our starting five alone. And I figure with a drunk guy guy with a machete, a six month old baby who can't even crawl establishing position in the paint, an actual former NBA player and nine guys coming off the bench to play shooting guard we'd be a pretty tough out.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 30, 2016

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
old man waterbug here

being 29 and average short, I still have to rely on quickness to get my shots off. it sucks. I can feel the old man game creeping in though, especially the fadeaway thing, mine is right elbow/kyrie dagger 3 area.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I actually have a decent post game but for some reason I always end up with a teammate who can't shoot setting up at the wing so his man slacks back to keep any entry passes from coming in

e: One fun thing was when a couple younger dudes who were super athletic showed up (they dunked a bunch of times) but they were big time ball watchers so I got a ton of easy back cuts for layups

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 30, 2016

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
friggin hot out there eh??? eh

here's a pickup question that came into play today:

when playing full court, let's say 4v4, when the defending team knocks it out of bounds, do you do an inbounds play? or just check it up top?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Brolander posted:

when playing full court, let's say 4v4, when the defending team knocks it out of bounds, do you do an inbounds play? or just check it up top?
Up top

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Brolander posted:

Yeah take it up top everytime. Related question. How do y'all play backcourt violations in 5 on 5?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Brolander posted:

If it's in transition (dunno why you want to play 4v4 full court unless you want to blow out a lung running) then you take it from where it went out. If you've passed mid court then it's check it up at the top.

I took a while off before playing again last week and it's amazing how in shape I am despite being heavier than what I'm used to playing at. I was able to keep up with a lot of young punks and managed to play three games straight in 100 degree weather before bowing out.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

cravius posted:

Yeah take it up top everytime. Related question. How do y'all play backcourt violations in 5 on 5?

Anywhere I've played we've ignored them because the half court isn't big enough to worry about or people just don't care that much.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

stopping the game for anything other than blood is a bitch move and, while valid, we like to play our games with the most liberal interpretation of the rules possible. you usually get a warning and then you might get a technicality like back court called on you if someone's salty/the game's close.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

cravius posted:

If it happens on accident then ignore it. If the game is the the kind of game where people want to do this sort of thing and try to trap someone against the line I'd count it. Depends on the crowd.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
agreed. my teammate threw it in(so we could take it up top, I thought) and it got stolen and taken in for a layup and i just say "so we're doing inbounds plays now?"

Doltos posted:

If it's in transition (dunno why you want to play 4v4 full court unless you want to blow out a lung running) then you take it from where it went out. If you've passed mid court then it's check it up at the top.

I took a while off before playing again last week and it's amazing how in shape I am despite being heavier than what I'm used to playing at. I was able to keep up with a lot of young punks and managed to play three games straight in 100 degree weather before bowing out.
I find anything more than 3v3 in the half court to be too crowded, especially on the smaller outdoor courts I play on. plus not playing make-it-take-it avoids one team just making a run and winning out without a chance for rebuttal. I also like being able to take it coast to coast and get a full head of steam.

cravius posted:

we just kind of ignore it, i'm not sure there's even a half court line painted. that seems a little too formal to call in a pickup game.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The only time I would call a back court violation is if the dude went like 6 feet onto the other side of the court trying to escape something or other. And only if he does it a few times.

If the ball gets tapped or whatever, calm down Joey Crawford.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
If the ball gets tapped into the back court you can chase it down. If the pass misses you can chase it down. If you get punked so hard by the press that you can forced all the way across midcourt then maybe you can call backcourt then but usually by that time there's a cross court pass or a turnover anyway.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
And I actually like 4 on 4 full court, especially if you're like me and play with a bunch of guys that can't shoot anyway. 5 on 5 the spacing gets pretty hosed if only a couple guys are threats from more than 9 feet out.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I like 4 on 4 ok, but the guys I play with always play no "fast breaks" (no passing across the half court line to initiate a fast break) so that's kind of ehhhh

With 5 on 5 at least there's a risk reward aspect to streaking down the court when a shot goes up

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I dunno, I'm actually better at 4 on 4 fullcourt because I can run longer than most of the out of shape guys that play pickup, and I try harder than most of the in shape guys that play pickup. It's just that 4 on 4 fullcourt leads to nothing but fast breaks and sometimes that just doesn't feel like basketball.

Spacing is an issue no matter what because short guys like me insist on playing under the basket and tall or fat guys have to only shoot 3's at the top of the key.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I hate when short guys set up in the post tbh

I remember a few weeks ago I beat my man off the dribble and there's a short teammate set up on the low block. His man comes off him to help against my drive and I dish it right to him. He's literally all alone, about two feet from the basket, all he has to do is throw it up and hit the square. Instead he pump fakes with a look of terror in his eyes then passes it out once the defense recovers

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Intruder posted:

I hate when short guys set up in the post tbh

I remember a few weeks ago I beat my man off the dribble and there's a short teammate set up on the low block. His man comes off him to help against my drive and I dish it right to him. He's literally all alone, about two feet from the basket, all he has to do is throw it up and hit the square. Instead he pump fakes with a look of terror in his eyes then passes it out once the defense recovers

Sounds more like you hate playing with guys who don't know how to play tbh. Him being down low actually helped you, he was just too afraid to take the shot - it wouldn't have been any better if he just hung out on the perimeter anyway.

4 on 4 full court is fun, provided the court is a bit smaller than regulation size (most non-school courts will be like this). It does have a tendency to turn into a cherry picking fast break game, so adding in a "no passing past half court line to start a break" rule isn't a bad idea.

And apparently losing 30lbs in the last couple years has cancelled out my rapid aging, and I'm able to dunk again. Albeit it's on a slightly bent rim so it was probably only about 9'9' or so, but it still counts! Especially since I can throw it down on that rim and the quick and athletic 20 yr old kid from work I play with can't do it and he's the same height as I am. Granted, he's alot more springy than I am now, able to quickly hop around and grab rebounds over me, but I play smart and when I get a chance I'm able to get higher than him still (just not as often). Still, feels pretty good :grin:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Well he isn't used to being around the basket is my point. He had no idea what to do down low

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
No Intruder is right, I do the same poo poo. Short guys usually have no business in the post but the major reason I set up down there is to pass or go for easy rebounds. My post moves are excellent in practice but I turn into a scared bitch in the game.

I'm not the shortest guy in the world but being 5'9 does let me scrap for rebounds against 6 footers. I also love defending the post and I'm actually really good at it, even against guys much bigger than me.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm 5'10 and I am at my best and most comfortable in the post. I have a 6'3 wingspan and good hops so I can hold my own on defense as well as out-rebound most people bigger than me just due to good positioning and hustle. I can't tell you how many times I'll get myself into perfect position on the block, and be refused an entry pass. Hell, half the time when a teammate drives I'll be wide open 2 feet away from the basket when my man leaves to help, and I still don't get the ball. I can literally shoot 75+% on my hook shot against most defenders, just give me the ball once and I'll show you. *Point guard shoots a contested fadeaway 3*

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Entry passes to little guys are easily deflected regardless of your spunk. As a 6' 6" guy who has 5'9" is dudes try and post me up all the time please keep trying though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Also speaking about entry passes, guys if you're short and your big man is tall, please aim the ball at his chest or higher. I get so pissed off watching people feed big men at their knees.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Speaking of guys who have no idea what they're doing in the post, I love when a teammate is getting fronted and calls for the ball then I loft it in and he immediately turns around and boxes out because apparently a soft pass looks exactly the same as a shot going up to some people

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

cravius posted:

Entry passes to little guys are easily deflected regardless of your spunk. As a 6' 6" guy who has 5'9" is dudes try and post me up all the time please keep trying though.

I'm not going to post up a dude that's 9 inches taller than me. That's just stupid. A simple no look bounce entry pass will get the job done against any non-giant defenders.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Intruder posted:

Speaking of guys who have no idea what they're doing in the post, I love when a teammate is getting fronted and calls for the ball then I loft it in and he immediately turns around and boxes out because apparently a soft pass looks exactly the same as a shot going up to some people

Lmao

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Doltos posted:

Also speaking about entry passes, guys if you're short and your big man is tall, please aim the ball at his chest or higher. I get so pissed off watching people feed big men at their knees.

Seriously. Put it on my hand. I love playing with guards that can throw a good entry pass and then cut. That's a free basket for them every time.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

If I work hard to establish a good post position please don't be so afraid of the defender that when you pass the ball I'm forced to abandon the post and receive it halfway to the three point line

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I enjoy playing down in the post when I'm one of the taller people in a game, which happens more than I think it would since I'm only 6'0. I stay the gently caress out otherwise. Also I am a horrible post defender.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
What exactly makes you horrible at post defense?

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Metapod posted:

9/10 times it's stance and positioning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Metapod posted:

I dunno, I guess I'm just judging off of trying to guard one of my friends. I literally cannot stop him anytime he gets down there. I used to have to guard people a few inches taller than me a lot because I had a pretty long fro and it tricked them somehow. I couldn't do anything to stop them in the post either.

• Locked thread