Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Regnevelc posted:

My ADIDAS T-Mac 2's.

http://www.nikebrandstore.com/tracy-mcgrady-shoes/1542-adidas-t-mac-2-shoes-in-white-blue.html

God drat those shoes own.

"Nike" brand store selling Adidas stuff? :monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
beats me, those are just the website that I linked to show how badass those shoes are

crm
Oct 24, 2004

So Saturday night league, my team is down by 1, 3 seconds left, our dude shooting the back half of the 1-1...

and then the whistle blows. One of our dudes had a toe on the 3pt point line. Turnover, other team gets the ball, we lose.

Ugh.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

crm posted:

So Saturday night league, my team is down by 1, 3 seconds left, our dude shooting the back half of the 1-1...

and then the whistle blows. One of our dudes had a toe on the 3pt point line. Turnover, other team gets the ball, we lose.

Ugh.

Oh man, that's nasty. A particularly technical call for a (presumably) social league.

ChuckNade376
Mar 13, 2008

MOTHERFUCKER. It is going to happen.
Any San Francisco goons know where I can get a pick up game outside? I haven't even seen a court here.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Speaking about shoes... what brand are you people attached to? I started out with the very first Air Penny in 1995, stuck with Nike for a couple of years, switched to Fila (Jamal Mashburn!) for a while, came back to Nike, and finally settled on Adidas four or five years ago. I am currently wearing something called Mega Soft Cell and I wish I could make love to these shoes. Low-cut, light as a feather, perfect.

http://www.adidas.com/us/product/mens-originals-mega-soft-cell-bhl-shoes/MI530

The weather's been getting better and better, so I ordered a new ball. Time to get the jumper back before the outdoor season begins.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

Jack's Flow posted:

Speaking about shoes... what brand are you people attached to? I started out with the very first Air Penny in 1995, stuck with Nike for a couple of years, switched to Fila (Jamal Mashburn!) for a while, came back to Nike, and finally settled on Adidas four or five years ago. I am currently wearing something called Mega Soft Cell and I wish I could make love to these shoes. Low-cut, light as a feather, perfect.

http://www.adidas.com/us/product/mens-originals-mega-soft-cell-bhl-shoes/MI530

The weather's been getting better and better, so I ordered a new ball. Time to get the jumper back before the outdoor season begins.

I am going to pick up a pair of these and give them a try. I love low-tops and it is the price I like to pay for bball shoes.

I tear up shoes playing basketball extremely fast, so how long have you had these and how often do you play in them?

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
While we are on shoe chat, I'm currently using LeBron 7's still, they've lasted forever, but it is getting close to time for new shoes. I like the LeBrons but they are a tad heavy and I was looking at the KDs or Kobes, does anyone have any experience with them and how they fit, comfort, etc.? I have a slightly wide foot which sometimes makes it annoying with these things.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I've been wearing the Kobe line for awhile now and they're decent but nothing exceptional. I feel they are kind of gimmicky because of the low top thing. You should look into the LeBron 9 though. I believe they are considerably lighter and a few of my friends swear by them. Both are expensive as hell though.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 19, 2012

crm
Oct 24, 2004

spamman posted:

Oh man, that's nasty. A particularly technical call for a (presumably) social league.

It wouldn't have bothered me so much had they ignored the lane violations that happened on every free throw - the rule here is "off the rim", not "on the shot"

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I used to wear a vintage pair of Air Penny IIs but decided I liked them too much to beat them up on the basketball court every day. :shobon: I still wear them, just not on the court.

I picked up some Adidas TS Commanders, the Gilbert Arenas model which mysteriously went on sale for like $30 around the time he started shooting finger guns, and I've been wearing those ever since. About time to switch to a new pair, though.

I like a lighter shoe and low cut tops because I change direction on the court a lot and high tops are too restrictive. Any recommendations?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It's me. I wear a sweatband and goggles every time I play basketball. I'm that guy.

Anyway, I have to say a pair of hyperdunks was the best shoe purchase I made.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I wear a sweatband because if I don't sweat gets in my eyes! I should really get some goggles too, my glasses are getting hosed up from being knocked off by hands and I can't see a drat thing otherwise.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Boosh! posted:

You should look into the LeBron 9 though. I believe they are considerably lighter and a few of my friends swear by them.

I think I heard this somewhere, so this is great news because I love the way LeBron's fit my feet. I'll have to check them out.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

rscott posted:

I wear a sweatband because if I don't sweat gets in my eyes! I should really get some goggles too, my glasses are getting hosed up from being knocked off by hands and I can't see a drat thing otherwise.

Contacts man, got to get contacts. Best purchase I made.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

stephelopholus posted:

I am going to pick up a pair of these and give them a try. I love low-tops and it is the price I like to pay for bball shoes.

I tear up shoes playing basketball extremely fast, so how long have you had these and how often do you play in them?
I usually kill my shoes in six months flat, no matter the brand. I bought these last summer, but I didn't get to play a whole lot back then, so they are still in good shape. I usually play four to five times per week though and have to buy new sneakers regularly.

That wasn't very helpful, sorry.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

Jack's Flow posted:

I usually kill my shoes in six months flat, no matter the brand. I bought these last summer, but I didn't get to play a whole lot back then, so they are still in good shape. I usually play four to five times per week though and have to buy new sneakers regularly.

That wasn't very helpful, sorry.

I am still gonna try out a pair. Good timing because my current shoes are almost done.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Thanks to this thread I've gone out five of the last six nights and tried to learn how to actually shoot a jumper. My situational awareness and ridiculous competitive streak have kept me alive in the three pick-up games I've played, but I have almost no athletic skills currently. I have a bit of a stupid question- when you guys are going up for layups, are you jumping as high as you can? A guy last night was calling me a tryhard for going up "hard". He was 6'3" to my 5'10" though, so I don't know if he was just trying to psych me out

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
All I know is don't play in Nike Free Run shoes. Terrible for your feet especially if you do a lot of rebounding.

I'm a cheap rear end dude so i just wear some Li-ning Baron Davis shoes

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

rscott posted:

Get some rec specs. I can't wear contacts, and used to wear an old pair of glasses, but rec specs changed so much for me. They take some getting used to w/ depth perception, but not having to push them up the nose/back on/etc is great. Also, really lessen the risk of horrific injuries from busted glasses.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Omnikin posted:

Thanks to this thread I've gone out five of the last six nights and tried to learn how to actually shoot a jumper. My situational awareness and ridiculous competitive streak have kept me alive in the three pick-up games I've played, but I have almost no athletic skills currently. I have a bit of a stupid question- when you guys are going up for layups, are you jumping as high as you can? A guy last night was calling me a tryhard for going up "hard". He was 6'3" to my 5'10" though, so I don't know if he was just trying to psych me out

That's stupid. That's like calling someone a tryhard for boxing out (has happened to me). I don't jump all out on layups but I guess it could be an advantage since you're releasing at a higher point so there's less space to contest it in. If it feels weird scale it back.

CrazyLikeAMadDog posted:

[Rec specs]

The first time I saw rec specs I thought it stood for Recording Spectacles and I thought they were :krad:. Then I found out what they really were and they were still cool.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

Omnikin posted:

I would just tell him if he is going up to block your shot then you are going to go up hard to make sure he doesn't. As long as you aren't lowering and driving your shoulder right into him you can do whatever you want.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Omnikin posted:

As always, it is best in these situations to cite the works of one Dr. Flocka Flame.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
Pick up basketball is the best. I've asked you guys a few years ago in the NBA thread about how to get better and since then I've developed a pretty decent jump shot, learned how to move without the ball and am now able to dribble down the courts without looking like an idiot.

I went out and got some nice shoes instead of using my cheap $30 pair I had been using. I wasn't expecting much of a difference but drat it's HUGE. I feel so much more support and am able to move much better.

Thanks for making this thread guys I look forward to more tips from some of the better players. I just started with the Curry's dad jump shot drill and Nash's little 20 min routine for my cardio days.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Declan MacManus posted:

I picked up some Adidas TS Commanders, the Gilbert Arenas model which mysteriously went on sale for like $30 around the time he started shooting finger guns, and I've been wearing those ever since.

Awesome, I did the same exact thing and those shoes have held up really well after a year+ of 4 times a week basketball. Though I wouldn't mind if the next player became such a Menace To Society that they'd have to sell their shoes at a reduced price.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I only play indoors but I'm on my 2nd pair of Zoom Kobe VIs. I feel a lot more stable in them even though they are low tops because they are lower to the ground. It feels like your foot is on the floor instead of on a big bag of air that is itself on the floor. There's only the bottom to land on instead of getting stuck on a big side ledge or something.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Playing pickup basketball with your buddies is the best thing in the world because you can give each other the fist antlers when you assist each other.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Does anyone here ever put themselves through drills?I never played formalized basketball and the last time I played 4 kids who played together in high school picked me up to fill out their team. After we ran a few games we started talking and I mentioned I never had anyone teach me fundamentals or the finer points of the game. I just taught myself everything on the fly as I was playing. They showed me two really great drills to improve yourself. One where you stand under the basket and alternate laying it up with each hand. The other they called either "Texas" or "Oklahoma". Basically you have 5 spots around the 3 point line, spaced equally. One on the baseline, one halfway up/around the 3 point line, and than one at the top middle of the 3 point line, behind the foul line. You do a layup, shoot a 3 and than step in and take a jump shot from each position, going around the 3 point line until you do it from every spot.

Anyone else have any little drills they could share to improve yourself?

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Waroduce posted:

Does anyone here ever put themselves through drills?I never played formalized basketball and the last time I played 4 kids who played together in high school picked me up to fill out their team. After we ran a few games we started talking and I mentioned I never had anyone teach me fundamentals or the finer points of the game. I just taught myself everything on the fly as I was playing. They showed me two really great drills to improve yourself. One where you stand under the basket and alternate laying it up with each hand. The other they called either "Texas" or "Oklahoma". Basically you have 5 spots around the 3 point line, spaced equally. One on the baseline, one halfway up/around the 3 point line, and than one at the top middle of the 3 point line, behind the foul line. You do a layup, shoot a 3 and than step in and take a jump shot from each position, going around the 3 point line until you do it from every spot.

Do the three-man-weave.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

Waroduce posted:

Do this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oevwWUe9XB8

There are a million youtube videos for basketball drills. First, I would advise work on your shooting form first. It is extremely difficult to change and will be frustrating, but in the long run it is worth it.

Second, I would find some general ball-handling drills. Even if you are playing in the post it is nice to work on these skills. It also helps your overall hand-eye coordination, which is never a bad thing.

dudemanbudguy
Jan 2, 2008
guybudmandude
I have a question for you guys that are good dribblers. I'm an above average dribbler when I'm not pressured, but when I drive the lane and get pushed around a bit (I'm 5'9 135 pounds, so I'm typically smallest dude on the court) I lose control of the ball sometimes. Obviously one solution to this is to get stronger so I don't lose my balance, but are there any other solutions?

I know dribble low and protect the basketball with my off hand and body, but how can I practice driving the lane and losing my balance? I'm completely fine in a fast break situation or dribbling around the court it's just when people actually body me up when I drive the lane. Also, I drive with my head up because I really like making good passes. Of course this is great, but sometimes the ball gets away from me since I'm not looking at it. I'm guessing this is because I'm dribbling to high?

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Waroduce posted:

I do one where I pick a hand, then start at one of the posts and shoot from that side, the center of the paint, then the other post with that same hand. I have to start over, but use the other hand, if I miss any of the shots. If I make all three, then I move to the next tick mark and do the same thing. Eventually, if the hoops gods are smiling on me, I'll wind up at the free throw line.

Kinda like that video stephelopholus posted, now that I watch it.

I'll also do things like pick an arbitrary chunk of time where I can only use one or the other hand for everything (dribbling, shooting, etc.), which helps considerably if you want to be the guy who can actually use both hands.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

dudemanbudguy posted:

I have a question for you guys that are good dribblers. I'm an above average dribbler when I'm not pressured, but when I drive the lane and get pushed around a bit (I'm 5'9 135 pounds, so I'm typically smallest dude on the court) I lose control of the ball sometimes. Obviously one solution to this is to get stronger so I don't lose my balance, but are there any other solutions?

I know dribble low and protect the basketball with my off hand and body, but how can I practice driving the lane and losing my balance? I'm completely fine in a fast break situation or dribbling around the court it's just when people actually body me up when I drive the lane. Also, I drive with my head up because I really like making good passes. Of course this is great, but sometimes the ball gets away from me since I'm not looking at it. I'm guessing this is because I'm dribbling to high?

Unfortunately there's no easy way, yeah you can practice protecting the ball with your body, but if you're weak, people can still go through you(I think you need at least 20 pounds more to be able to hold your ground). And driving while still looking for the open man is really hard, I don't think there's a way to teach it, otherwise they would to all those 6'2" SGs in the NBA.

dudemanbudguy
Jan 2, 2008
guybudmandude

cisneros posted:

Unfortunately there's no easy way, yeah you can practice protecting the ball with your body, but if you're weak, people can still go through you(I think you need at least 20 pounds more to be able to hold your ground). And driving while still looking for the open man is really hard, I don't think there's a way to teach it, otherwise they would to all those 6'2" SGs in the NBA.

Yeah, I've started working out so I anticipate I'll at least put on 10ish pounds from just doing strength exercises (squats, deadlifts, bench, etc) I'm so tired of being pushed around because I'm fast enough and quick enough to beat my man it's just when I get pressured or pushed I kind of lose control. :(

It is difficult to keep your head up while driving into crowds and pass, but man, one of my main skills in basketball is being a killer passer. I'd rather turn it over once in awhile then keep my head down and score.

ChuckNade376
Mar 13, 2008

MOTHERFUCKER. It is going to happen.
I ran the floor all night, followed in transition break away got two easy follow ups. Got rewarded on the pick and roll in the half court. It is is perplexing me that people go to play basketball and get exercise and than show no effort. Also hit a sky hook from the left elbow and got a hopefully unironic round of applause, felt good enough I decided to type it up and tell you all about it.

pat
Sep 20, 2001

Judy can pat the bunny. Now YOU pat the bunny.
Anyone else guilty of being a self-conscious nerd and over-thinking the game? If I'm in the frame of mind where I'm counting my makes and misses and thinking "oh I shot and missed last possession, I need to pass this time" then I just play really badly. Hard to resist that and easy to get down on yourself sometimes.

I figure myself as a thoughtful kind of player, but weirdly enough I read the game much better when I'm not actively thinking about it, it just happens.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

In sports in general, the more you think the worse you perform. I have an analytical mindset but over the years it's just kind of shut off as soon as I play anything. It's easier to fall into the trap if you're playing with people you don't know, though, so play with friends for awhile if it really bothers you.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

pat posted:

Anyone else guilty of being a self-conscious nerd and over-thinking the game? If I'm in the frame of mind where I'm counting my makes and misses and thinking "oh I shot and missed last possession, I need to pass this time" then I just play really badly. Hard to resist that and easy to get down on yourself sometimes.

I figure myself as a thoughtful kind of player, but weirdly enough I read the game much better when I'm not actively thinking about it, it just happens.

I'm in the same boat, and it leads to me pre-meditating what I'm going to do rather than reacting to the game around me. Sometimes I don't know how to switch it off, and it makes me perform way worse because of it.

spamman fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Mar 29, 2012

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
What's happening is that you're killing your reaction speed. Taking a second to think about your next move is always going to take way longer than just reacting, which is probably what everyone else on the floor is doing.

Count your makes and misses when you're practicing or shooting around. Figure out where you can be most consistent from the floor. In a game, focus on whether or not you're taking good shots. Don't shoot too much and don't shoot every time you touch the ball but don't stop shooting just because you missed a shot either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Fisticuffs posted:

In a game, focus on whether or not you're taking good shots.

Some people don't even focus that much. :v:

• Locked thread