Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

You stop people in the post by not letting them get position. The majority of the time if someone gets the ball in good position, you're not going to stop them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
im going outside to play ball in this 93 heat, pray for me fam

me guarding people in the post is hilarious, my only real course is to try and get low as hell and stand my ground

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
These days, if you can just hold your ground in the post as a defender you're doing fine. Against a taller guy or someone who is close to your height, get a bit low with a stable base and don't let the offensive player get good position. Against shorter guys, get your hands up so they don't have a clean look.

Nobody posts up anymore anyway, everyone wants to pull off a crossover at the top of the key for the step back three (which invariably misses, badly).

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
The Steph Curry effect is real

Smellyhead
Jun 20, 2003
Cabbages smell funny too.

cravius posted:

Seriously. Put it on my hand. I love playing with guards that can throw a good entry pass and then cut. That's a free basket for them every time.

I'm glad that you know this. I wish I played with people like you instead of people who get it in the post and immediately try to make a move to the middle where I'm cutting for said free basket and they inevitably lose the ball trying to take on two defenders.

Also, post defence, force the guy to the middle. The key is almost always jam packed with other dudes that make it harder for whoever you're guarding. Pretty much don't ever give up baseline in the post when you're playing pickup.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I've out positioned huge guys just from putting a leg into them when we're boxing out and getting my center of gravity lower. People get so pissed that they try to go really hard after that and then you just pull the chair out from under them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Intruder posted:

I like 4 on 4 ok, but the guys I play with always play no "fast breaks" (no passing across the half court line to initiate a fast break) so that's kind of ehhhh

Wait. What?

5 on 5 full court usually works out to 4 on 4 or 3 on 3 anyway because after a few trips up and down, people start getting gassed and stop running as much.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
gently caress the guy who just parks his rear end in the post and just wants wrestle. Good workout though.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Boosh! posted:

gently caress the guy who just parks his rear end in the post and just wants wrestle. Good workout though.

Match bitch move with bitch move and call a 3 second violation

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
How do you decide to play 5 on 5 and then house rule "no fast breaks?" That's the dumbest thing I ever heard.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

BiggerBoat posted:

How do you decide to play 5 on 5 and then house rule "no fast breaks?" That's the dumbest thing I ever heard.

In 4 on 4

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

The rule was in place before I started playing with them :shrug: And yes, in 4 on 4

Once it drops to 3 on 3 we just go half court

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Yeah the no fast break rule in 4v4 only makes sense when you're playing in some abnormally small court (usually a crummy playground). Some of these courts literally have half court lines less than 5 feet behind the 3 point lines. We played it once in a regulation indoor court and it really hosed my team over in the particular matchup (we had a shorter, quicker team).

I'm 5'6 and am for some reason one of the few decent post defenders amongst the 15-20 guys i play with. To be fair, only like 3 guys ever really post up ever, but yeah everyone who says it's about playing for position are right. I hate playing in the post though, because, especially at my height, I'm vulnerable to all sorts of unintentional blows to the head.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

cravius posted:

Match bitch move with bitch move and call a 3 second violation

Hehe well, despite him it was a good crew and I may have found a cool indoor pickup scene that fits my sched. Definitely didn't want to alienate anyone with any 3 second calls or taking charges.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Playing with a sore achilles is the worst thing. Every jump and landing feels like its going to be my last.

I don't know if its because I'm getting slow or what but I've been getting dinged for ticky tack offensive fouls lately (arm bar on layups, hooks, etc). I will continue to blame it on the refs though. Tonight I got one for butt checking my defender on a power dribble in the low post. :psyduck:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I showed up at the courts when it was super nice out the other day and a ton of people were there. Waited 45 minutes until I could get my team on then proceeded to turn the ball over like 5 times to a 16 year old that was defending me, miss my only shot, and give up the game winning basket.

I just picked up my stuff and left.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I hate when you have to slow up on a fast break and no one calls out the guy coming from behind to pick your pocket

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Can't even loving sleep because of the massive shoulder I took beneath my ribs tonight. gently caress, I hate how much breathing hurts right now

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

So even though you got hit you grabbed the rebound, right? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

cougar cub posted:

So even though you got hit you grabbed the rebound, right? :v:

I blocked the layup :toot: It was on a fast break

Unfortunately it went right back to them

• Locked thread