Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChuckNade376
Mar 13, 2008

MOTHERFUCKER. It is going to happen.
If you are really worried about it, I would recommend

The Inner Game of Tennis.

It is a great read, really helped my in game performance in all sports.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Inner-Game-Tennis-Performance/dp/0679778314

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
I don't dominate the ball at all (catch and shoot or cut a lot, catch, and blow the layup) so that makes me super self conscious of missing a shot, which of course makes me miss more.

I'm trying to focus more on whether I took a good shot instead of if it was a make, but it's tough. Especially when the ball dominating guys who play get super pissed when you miss after they finally decide to pass on the 5th time down the court.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

havelock posted:

Especially when the ball dominating guys who play get super pissed when you miss after they finally decide to pass on the 5th time down the court.

Can you find guys to play with that aren't assholes? That would probably help a lot too.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
It's strange, when I first begun playing in last year's church league, I was very self-conscious and analyzing myself in-game, playing pretty badly, but in the final game I played, I was really on target and drilled several threes that got us almost coming back. Half the reason I played well is because I knew I wouldn't have to come out, and that I felt like I wasn't having to prove I could shoot or anything.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Also, try to get a feel for why you might be missing, and then play normally but give some extra focus to that issue. I have a problem where I will slightly fade back on shots, and I end up missing because I try to put some extra arm into it. So I try to just focus on catching and jumping straight up, and let the rest of my shot/play be as natural as I can. It's extremely difficult to fix more than one issue at a time while you play.

Played some ball for the first time in probably two years yesterday. I won perhaps my first game of 21 in a decade, had to shoot 2 threes to win, with the last one threatening to send me back to 13 if I missed. Pressure like that used to get to me, it felt nice to ignore that small pit in my stomach and just trust my shot.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Fisticuffs posted:

Can you find guys to play with that aren't assholes? That would probably help a lot too.

Almost all of the regular group I play with are really great, but it only takes a few to set a bad tone. The level of play is pretty high (though not probably D1 gym pickup level) and I'm on average middle of the pack I think.

I'm sure there's some pop psych explanation for how my self critical comments/attitude invite the same criticisms from others, but I dunno. Maybe I just need to do the Steve Kerr thing and write gently caress It on my shoes.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

I actually need to go pick up some new shoes. Are there any websites that reviews shoes as far as actual performance goes?

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

While it's baseball rather than hoops, "Don't think, it'll only hurt the ballclub" is a dictum I try to play by.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

havelock posted:

Almost all of the regular group I play with are really great, but it only takes a few to set a bad tone.

Venting in 3..2..1...

I hate the players who don't realize that they aren't as great as they think they are. Had a guy this week who was complaining about losing to us, when he was single handed keeping his team in the game. I think he went 1 for 4 down the stretch, gave up an offensive rebound that was put back to tie the game, and turned the ball over that led to an easy game winning layup. His obliviousness was pissing me off. He is lazy as poo poo on D as well.

The laziness gets me the most. I have never seen him play hard defense, and only plays well when a better player is getting him open looks. Just hearing him talk during the games is grating on my psyche. He won't ever guard me, but eventually due to a switch he is on me and can't even enjoy scoring on him because he is so lazy.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
You should film him. People think they look great playing but 95% of the people look awkward, myself included, and not the smooth Wade euro stepping vision they had of himself. There's a guy in my league who is like your guy. No idea how awful he is, I'm talking about taking off at the 3 pt line for a runner kind of stuff. "drat, just missed it..." My rear end

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

havelock posted:

I don't dominate the ball at all (catch and shoot or cut a lot, catch, and blow the layup) so that makes me super self conscious of missing a shot, which of course makes me miss more.

I'm trying to focus more on whether I took a good shot instead of if it was a make, but it's tough. Especially when the ball dominating guys who play get super pissed when you miss after they finally decide to pass on the 5th time down the court.

You need to learn to go into Mamba mode.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

If a guy is an rear end, you're allowed, even encouraged, to talk poo poo to him. One of the best things about pickup ball is talking poo poo. Playfully, though; not like telling them you'll murder their family or anything

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011

BIZORT posted:

If a guy is an rear end, you're allowed, even encouraged, to talk poo poo to him. One of the best things about pickup ball is talking poo poo. Playfully, though; not like telling them you'll murder their family or anything

I find it beneath myself to even talk to this guy since I am substantially above his talent level, in addition to being 6 years older than him (He is 22). I don't talk trash ever, but If someone is getting on my nerves I will stare him down after scoring on him.

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

It's not really beneficial to brood when you're playing sports since most guys play like poo poo when they're mad. If he puts up a bad shot and you end up guarding him, just say something pseudo playful. "Did someone open a window?" I don't know, something. I think half of the reason why guys play like that is they honestly have no loving idea how bad they are and no one has ever mentioned it to them so if you put that thought in their head, you 1) put doubt in their head, 2) might get them a bit mad, going back to what I said before, and 3) he might not do that same thing again since he's probably an insecure baby and someone ridiculing that play is something he doesn't want to happen again.

I'm a pretty quiet guy in my every day manner but when I'm playing basketball I'm slapping people on the back telling them good take, good pass, etc. But if they do something lovely, I say something, too. It's all part of it. Have fun. If someone is being a dick, though, then no one is having fun.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

stephelopholus posted:

I find it beneath myself to even talk to this guy since I am substantially above his talent level, in addition to being 6 years older than him (He is 22). I don't talk trash ever, but If someone is getting on my nerves I will stare him down after scoring on him.

Shame him. At first, whenever he shoots yell, "REBOUND! REBOUND!" Then eventually whenever he releases just yell, "BRICK!" and run for the board. This will really, really piss him off but he probably won't say anything until after he misses like ten shots and by then most people will be laughing at him and maybe doing the same thing. If you play with any of your friends have them do the same thing.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
^^^ Hahah not going to lie I HATE that. I don't even talk trash.

edit: Off!

dudemanbudguy
Jan 2, 2008
guybudmandude
if you're not a volume shooter, but you are a good shooter, nothing is better than nailing a three while someone yells "off!" Even better if you come back down the court and do it again. :clint:

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

dudemanbudguy posted:

if you're not a volume shooter, but you are a good shooter, nothing is better than nailing a three while someone yells "off!" Even better if you come back down the court and do it again. :clint:

I know, I consider myself a pretty good shooter now (no choice my knees are shot), but I never trash talk. There's a regular who plays in one of my rented gym spots who pulls the "drat, I HAD that" after you smoke him or "man, I should actually try and play some D" if you score. People are ridiculous. These are guys in their 30s too, mainly Wall street weekend warriors.

stephelopholus
Feb 24, 2011
I never talk poo poo but I do like it when others do. I am extremely competitive, but am able to take it back a bit when the games aren't intense. As soon as someone talks poo poo it gives me an excuse to go at him hard on offense. I always play hard on defense, but will take it easy on offense and I enjoy letting other players get involved.

I played college ball so I don't really find a need to prove anything to random guys at the gym playing pick-up. I still hate losing, so if it is close towards the end I will take over or like I said, if someone is talking poo poo.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Nothing is better than talking poo poo back and forth with someone and then just lighting him up. I don't usually talk much to the other team unless they start it or are acting like assholes though.

I need to get some new shoes since mine just got all torn up yesterday and I'm trying to figure out what to get. My roommate has the Derrick Rose ones and loves them but he hasn't had them long and said he thinks they aren't gonna last much longer. I don't feel like buying a pair for inside and one for outside so I guess I'll go for something heavier than those.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I only wear "beaters" outdoors, stuff I'd find at the Nike outlet since they won't last more than a dozen wears before the tread starts to go.

Rose's kicks are real nice but they're over a bill so I wouldn't waste them outdoors.

edit: that's not to say there aren't nice kicks at the outlets; there will be just older models which I'm, sure is fine with you.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 30, 2012

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

BIZORT posted:

No that's a good burn. Say it early then go into detail about how you'll do it as the game goes.

My favorite pickup ball moment was someone called a carry when my buddy was bringing the ball up. The next time down the court my buddy immediately called 3 seconds in the lane on him. It was hilarious.

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Boosh! posted:

You should film him. People think they look great playing but 95% of the people look awkward, myself included, and not the smooth Wade euro stepping vision they had of himself. There's a guy in my league who is like your guy. No idea how awful he is, I'm talking about taking off at the 3 pt line for a runner kind of stuff. "drat, just missed it..." My rear end

I remember the first time I watched video of my friends and I playing I thought "drat we spend a lot of time standing around staring at whoever has the ball.". After that I started trying to remember to always be doing something, instead of standing around and hoping whoever has the ball is going to score. Recording yourself is useful!

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Picturing one of those "What I think I look like when I hoop/What I actually look like".

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
I live on the outskirts of the Bay Area and there are almost no pick-up games here. I miss New York, I could find a game any day.

If there is an active place to play I wouldn't mind a short commute to a good game.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
That courts of the world site that was posted here earlier really is great. I've used it to success a few times already.

http://www.courtsoftheworld.com/courts

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

Picturing one of those "What I think I look like when I hoop/What I actually look like".

I experienced this upon watching my shooting motion in front of a mirror for the first time after someone commented on it. I look like a fool and have much worse form that I thought; but I spent a night messing with it and just got frustrated, so I figure I'll stick with what works (kind of)

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

Accident Underwater posted:

I live on the outskirts of the Bay Area and there are almost no pick-up games here. I miss New York, I could find a game any day.

If there is an active place to play I wouldn't mind a short commute to a good game.

Which part of the Bay Area? I only know about San Francisco.

I know Dolores Park has some active basketball games. Also probably the park in North Beach. Also check out 24 on Ocean all day for games.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

spamman posted:

That courts of the world site that was posted here earlier really is great. I've used it to success a few times already.

http://www.courtsoftheworld.com/courts

I missed this earlier, it's great thank you.

E2M2 posted:

Which part of the Bay Area? I only know about San Francisco.

I know Dolores Park has some active basketball games. Also probably the park in North Beach. Also check out 24 on Ocean all day for games.

I'm in Fairfield but it is a not too bad drive to get to Berkeley or Oakland. San Francisco is definitely a weekend option, thanks.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
I've noticed that I've been shooting with my left hand, even though I'm right hand dominate.

gaxsezu
Jan 28, 2008
How did that even begin?

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

gaxsezu posted:

How did that even begin?

I don't know, I just realized that I was shooting with my left hand all of a sudden. I mean its not like I'm a great shot anyways, and they're still falling at about the same clip as if I was shooting with my right. But now at least its more of a consistant motion.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Hyper extended/broke another god drat finger playing today. I'm seriously wondering if something like an over inflated ball leads to higher incidences of that happening since we leave our balls outside and it was a good 20 degrees warmer today than it was yesterday.

Icy Penguigo
Nov 7, 2010
I always beat myself up when I'm playing. Last game I turned the ball over early and missed an open 3, got my morale really low. One of my teammates overheard me muttering to myself after a missed shot and was like "dude, we'd be out of this game if it weren't for you".

We lost but some encouragement and a realistic perspective went a long way for me personally. You don't have to shoot 50% from the field and rack up a million blocks/assists to be a positive part of your team. Just gotta' make smart, unselfish plays.

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010
^^
Yeah try not to beat yourself up that much over a pick up game nobody really cares that much as long as they know you're trying.

I played a nice game of 21 today after not playing for awhile. Hit a bunch of pull up jumpers felt pretty baller.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

That Courts of the World site has an iPhone app that finds courts all around you. It found 3-4 around me I didn't even know about. 99 cents, but pretty cool.

Obviously you can just use the website if you're not mobile balling.

Updating to add: I used this while I was out and about yesterday and found a nice court in a huge park, got a new place to ball. :cool:

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 16, 2012

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
The worst games ever are the ones where you're able to get open for layups shots that you can hit normally, but you just brick them all. Last night I played for a while and I swear to god I missed 10 straight layups that I'd hit any other day. I can't really quit shooting them cause they're hittable but I feel like I'm dragging my team down with missed shots.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah, today was pretty windy and it totally wrecked my confidence going up for easy shots because just could not judge what the wind was going to do to the ball when it was in the air.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
:goonsay:

Just shoot the ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
When the wind pick ups, I just move closer to the basket before I shoot.

• Locked thread