Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Face-guarding is perfectly good defense that is not :brucebowen: if you do it properly. Hint: Don't put your hand 6 inches away from their face. Put it 12-18 and you have the same defensive result and you're not going to hurt anyone. The problem with face-guarding is that you get the "rhinos" who like to do the charge and headbutt. They'll tend to thrust their head into your body and if you are face-guarding that means finger meets the eye.

The real bastard move already has been mentioned. Under-cutting someone when they're basically sprinting and several feet off the ground is really dangerous. Each time I've seen an ambulance called to a court (twice) it's been due to someone throwing their weight into the lower half of someone else's body when they were going for a layup/rebound. It also tends to be the "rhinos" that do the undercutting.

fakeedit: I was an obsessive-compulsive pick up player for a decade before my back went out. Got to play against Kobe a couple of times :ssh: This is the greatest thread and almost every comment has me nodding my head.

:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

teagone posted:

I'm a 5'3" Filipino with terrible ball-handling skills, but I'm pretty efficient when it comes to 3 pointers and spot up shooting. Am I hosed when it comes to pick-up games?

Play with a few people who can set good picks that can give you enough distance between your defender so that you can get off your shot. Also, play help defense by blocking off lanes; it doesn't matter what your size is, a body blocking the path to a layup has the tendency to make people shoot from a greater distance or pass the ball. Since length/height is your issue, be extra sure to keep your hands at/above your mid-section at all times; it's cliched advice, but it will get you a surprising amount of turnovers.

BTW
I was babbling in a N/V thread a few weeks ago about "countries that you don't understand how much they love basketball" and mentioned Belize. Phillipino basketball has the same type of fandom. They're intensely passionate and love the sport. My first year or two of pick up was pretty much playing with a bunch of Phillipino dudes.

Funfact: Abarrientos was a very fringe NBA prospect back in the day. He was 5'6"-5'7", 160-170 lbs and the Hornets offered him a preseason contract.

He also played for the Alaska Milkmen which is probably the greatest name ever for an athletic team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Abarrientos

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

I keep seeing posts about 'just focus on rebounding,' but how the heck do I learn to get position over people 6+ inches taller than me? I can do it when I crash in and and not man up on someone, but when I'm playing defense low, it seems like there's nothing I can do since tall dudes can just reach over me even when my body is on theirs.

Timing your jump to be a fraction of a second later in order to tip the ball out of their hands has been said and is good advice. The other thing is to learn the typical rebounds of a shooter and his shots; some guys will shoot long from the top of the key and consistently clank it off the front of the rim or they'll hit glass and bounce it off the rim high and long when they take a mid-range from the baseline, etc. In general looking at the arc of the shot, flat/high, helps a lot. Barkley was a genius at these things.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

lmao zebong posted:

I saw something almost exactly like that happen to my friend last week, except he caught a hard shoulder instead of an elbow. He broke a tooth, scraped the poo poo out of his gums, loosened the roots on two teeth, and had a shard of tooth jammed in his gum that he had to slowly work out with his tongue. It was brutal and made me go get a mouth guard to play with. I haven't played with it yet but I'm seriously considering bringing it next time I play pick up. I've seen multiple mouth injuries while playing ball and I'm scared of it happening to me. I do feel like I'll look a bit cheesy playing with a mouth guard though, I don't think I've ever seen someone play casual pickup with one before.

It's a really good idea unless you want to be snaggletooth for the rest of your life; elbows are hard. Make sure to get one that let's you breathe and let it be chomped in at the same time. Some don't don't and you can end up hyper-ventiliating

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 17, 2012

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

BIZORT posted:

Friend of mine has been bedridden for the last two days because some guy in a rec league game who got pissy because my friend kept boxing him out for rebounds just drove into him and flailed, elbowing him in the face and then kneeing him in the balls to the point that my friend had to run to the bathroom and throw up. Now his balls are black and he can't move. The guy didn't apologize. Instead, he did the "What? Me?" thing.

I played pickup ball in really awful places in the states and most everyone has been somewhat courteous but in Australia there are so many dickheads. I cannot get over it.

From my experience lots of elbows, shoulders, and forehead nudging/headbutting with Aussies and Kiwis. There's a different sense of acceptable intrasporting violence in the cultures and I blame rugby culture ;)

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

I live in Boston now, but I grew up in the hood in Philly. We played a variation of 21 called "rough-house" to 45 points. First player to make a free throw decided all the calls for that game like travel, tips, or the ever popular "block party" where if you get blocked it puts you back to 0.

At 5'6 I was never a fan of tips or block party, but hey what can you do. My greatest accomplishment in one of these games was getting a surprise block on a kid who had something like 43 points. He got mad and said "now nobody's going to win." And no one did.

Hahahahahhahahahha! Never thought I'd hear "Philly Rules" outside.of the city. Which hood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

I called "money" on a three against Kobe in high school and I spent the next half hour with my head in his crotch because he dunked on me a dozen times in a row.

• Locked thread