Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

crm posted:

Let's talk about this some more.

It is very important, and I cannot stress this enough, to find your appropriate role, especially as a newbie, and refine the skills needed to play that role.

If you are a 6'3 guy, you are a big man by pickup standards. Play the big man role. Don't run around the 3pt line. Don't try to handle the ball. Get your fat behind in the lane and get rebounds, contest shots, get rebounds and make put backs. DO NOT JUST SHOOT JUMPERS OH GOD.

If you are 5'8 and 145 lbs, DO NO WORK ON A POST GAME.

I'm a "big man" and I have I have a very good classic back to the basket game. It makes me want to punch people in the face when I see a little dude practicing a hook. I do not want to play with this guy, because he is going to screw up the spacing on the floor. He's going to go try to post up some other little guy, and either clog up the offense because you end up with 3 offensive players and their defenders down around the basket, or he's going to force the big men out of the lane where they are uncomfortable.

"But!" you say, "I have a very good hook!". I DO NOT CARE. GET OUT OF THE POST. Even if you can hit it with your eyes closed, you are hurting your team, because if I am a defensive big man and I see you posting up in the lane, I am going to the weak side and I am going to destroy your shot.

If you are a small dude, learn to shoot a jumper. Every court has a couple old guys who hit 90% of their twos or threes when they are open. Ask them to teach you. They will. Old guys love to teach young guys how to play.

There is nothing I love more as a big man than a guy who can 1) make a post entry pass and 2) hit an open 3. If you're a shoot dude, practice that 3. Shoot a hundred a day. Make a big man smile. Get open looks.

On the flip side: if you're a big man posting up and catching an entry pass, CATCH THE loving PASS WITH YOUR ARMS EXTENDED. Don't wait for the ball to hit you in the chest, have the man guarding you poke it away before it gets there and then blame the passer. Goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

stephelopholus posted:

There is an Asian kid where I play that loves to undercut people or step under them when the shoot a jump shot.

This is the one situation in life where I will try to start a fight with someone. gently caress that poo poo.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Oh yeah, the #1 tip for pick up ball (and basketball in general) is when you're playong on-the-ball defense, KEEP YOUR HANDS UP. Like, arms fully extended, going-in-for-a-hug-style hands. People just cannot force themselves to do this for some reason, and it makes your defense SO much more effective. Instead they just keep their hands kind of by their sides or in front of them with their elbows bent, like they just touched something gross. Make yourself super duper wide!

Face guarding is stupid and only dumb jerks do it. If someone does it to you grab their fingers and tell them to them to cut it out before they poke you in the eye.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

cisneros posted:

gay

Don't do this :(

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Boosh! posted:

Rolling an ankle is one thing, but I had one of those crazy sprains where you hear a pop in the ankle and I was out for ages.

Yep, I had one of these happen at a grappling tournament and was out 6 months. It's the worst.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Doltos posted:

In all fairness it's not like I'm out there hacking people left and right, it's only if I'm in the area and just enough so they can get a shot off. I don't grab arms and pull them down but I'll slap a wrist while they're shooting.

Don't do this, man.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Jesus Christ, being smaller than other people doesn't mean you should be allowed to do illegal things and otherwise be a lovely opponent. Physical differences are part of sports, don't be a baby about it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Yeah, if you want to pick up some post moves watch Olajuwon tape. Also, to get better at passing watch Magic Johnson tape and to get better at layups watch the Dr. J baseline move over and over.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

BIZORT posted:

Can you really avoid tearing a ligament, though? What kind of precautions can you actually take? Don't those kind of injuries just occur from bad luck?

Yeah, you can definitely take precautions. Not playing with minor injuries is the first thing you can do, since they can change your body mechanics in subtle ways. Balance and stability exercises will especially help, as is being conscientious of how you move around on the court, land after jumping, and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

It has nothing to do with "planning out your moves" and everything to do with being conscientious about, say, making you sure you land softly and not on straight legs. After a while those things just become good habits, but you need to start doing them consciously at a certain point.

• Locked thread