Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

rscott posted:

As for advice for new players: Rebound with two hands god damnit. You are not an NBA player who can palm a ball. Nothing is more annoying than the other team getting an easy offensive rebound and open shot because someone on your team only went up with one hand and the best they could do was tip it out somewhere.

People can usually jump higher if they stretch out with one side of the body and reach for the ball. When I do that for a rebound, I don't try to palm it. I try to maintain control until I can bring the ball to my other hand and snap it shut like alligator jaws.

Re: Pick and roll. It's done in almost every single game I've played. When I don't have the ball, it's usually my last resort though, because it works so well and thus I find it boring.

My first preference is to screen somebody off the ball so he can get a open jumper or create a mismatch when the teamates switch off on defense. If that doesn't work, I try to get away form my man and get a open shot. Or I try to post up if the guy guarding me is shorter. Finally, if my team's offense is still stalled, I try to PnR with the ball handler. Mostly pick and pop though because as somebody mentioned the lane is usually clogged and it takes a pretty deft passer/ball handler to run the rolls well. It's easier to pass it off on a pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Waroduce posted:

They will also foul the poo poo out of you once you're within two points of winning. Big guys get swarmed and hit under the basket and shooters get pushed around.

Yes, this absolutely happens when I play at the playground. When you get close to game point, it will get absolutely physical and people will foul the gently caress out of you.

Edit: I also don't like when people face guard me. I can see poo poo.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Oh yeah, the #1 tip for pick up ball (and basketball in general) is when you're playong on-the-ball defense, KEEP YOUR HANDS UP. Like, arms fully extended, going-in-for-a-hug-style hands. People just cannot force themselves to do this for some reason, and it makes your defense SO much more effective. Instead they just keep their hands kind of by their sides or in front of them with their elbows bent, like they just touched something gross. Make yourself super duper wide!

Face guarding is stupid and only dumb jerks do it. If someone does it to you grab their fingers and tell them to them to cut it out before they poke you in the eye.

That is a good tip. You're going to take up way more space and it will be harder for people to get around you.

I like to keep my arms above my head as much as I can when I'm in the low blocks (when I'm not shoving people in the back to get them out of position). It annoys people trying to post me up. And when I post up I do the same because it makes me a bigger target for an entry pass.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'll be honest I remember seeing video footage of Michael Jordan face guarding somebody with the ball early in his career. Maybe it was Joe Dumars? Everywhere that dude looked or turned, MJ just put his hand in his face and blocked his vision like a blindfold.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
If you don't want your ball to get stolen, put your name on it with big letters. :barf:

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

mastershakeman posted:

I'm 5'9, 170, white, can't jump, dribble, or shoot. I started playing pickup a year or two ago and do it every few weeks despite it being frustrating. All I do is set picks.

Should I just be focusing on my jump shot for pick and pops? The friends I play with are all taller than me, with most at 6'2 or 3. I tried learning post moves since I'm stronger than them but I get rejected too much.

Also all the 6'3 guys dribble drive easily on me, you guys make it sound so easy to steal the ball.

I think you should work on your jump shot. Once you show that you can hit it, people will have to start respecting it, and it opens up a lot of penetration/drive opportunities. Good post moves I think are harder to develop. You have to have good foot work, and general awareness of where the defender is behind you. That can take a lot of time/experience to develop.

teagone posted:

The last "pick-up" game I played, I was like a sophomore in HS. Unfortunately back then, I was morbidly obese (5'1" 300lbs), and as such, pretty loving horrrible outside of my just hanging around the wing, waiting for someone to pass it to me so I drop a wide-open 3. I slimmed down over the last few years to a lean 160 and have been looking to game a lot more, but never found the time to work on my fundamentals thoroughly. My new job has given me ample amounts of it though, giving me days where I can hit up my nearby court and do a shoot-around for an hour or two. Looking forward to it.

The guys I normally play with (not pick-ups, but just loving around, horse, 21, etc.) are pretty big; two of them are 6'1, 6'3" dudes respectively who I've been playing against since elementary school. One of my best friends is also Filipino, but he's slightly taller (about 5'7") and he's quick as gently caress. Way faster than I am. They play in a winter/summer league occasionally at a park district here, and I might consider joining them. Maybe I can talk my two bigger friends to set picks for me. Heh.

Also, the correct term for people hailing from the Philippines is spelled "Filipino". The more you know! :eng101:

One of the best players that I used to play with was a guy who showed up at a park I balled in every once in awhile. He was a 5'3" Asian dude who was the best pure PG I ever played pickup with. He had good handle, but more importantly, he knew how to pass, set up people and do all the things a good PG did to help you win games. For example, he instinctively knew when to give up the ball on a 3v2 fastbreak and who would be the best person to pass to. He had excellent court vision and could "see" plays develop 2-3 steps ahead of everyone. Everytime I saw him, I would try to get on his team because I knew that he would just make it easier for all of us to win. All we had to do was run around and wait for the ball, and hit wide open shots/layups.

Unfortunately, he had the worst, and I mean THE WORST jump shot I have ever seen. In like 6 years of playing pickup games with him I think I saw him hit like 10 jumpers.

Vladimir Putin fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 10, 2012

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BIZORT posted:

Set picks, rebound, get garbage buckets, block the And1 guys. It's an easy existence.

The guys I loving hate playing against are short fat guys. You can't box them out, they take up space in the lane, all of them have some unstoppable move down low, and they board like crazy on me and I can't do a god drat thing about it. They are my kryptonite.

Draw them out to the FT line and hit some jumpers over them or laugh as they try to keep up with you as you drive past them.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^^^^^^^^^^ Or what he just said

From a physics standpoint, higher jump equals more acceleration for the ball. There's two components giving the ball energy 1.) your arms and 2.) your legs. Add the two together and that's how high/far your ball will go. People tend to jump higher when its farther from the hoop is probably because they want to give the ball extra energy because they are farther away.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

BigLeafyTree posted:

Sup tiny hands buddy :hfive:, my hands are smaller than guys I know who are a full 6 inches shorter than I am. It is so weird for me to read about guys who are 6'0 being the smallest guy on the court. I feel so small.

Does anyone have any tips for going for steals? I know the basic 'wait for their crossover with your hand out', and just being low and ready will let you get a few off of mistakes but is there more to it? I've seen guys do this reach around steal as someone is driving by them and I don't know how to replicate it.

I sometimes do this when I'm bored and the guy that I am guarding is slow. I let him go by me on my left and from behind I slap the ball away with my right hand in an up to down motion. Like I'm trying to do a strip. I don't attempt this move if the ball handler knows what he is doing or I actually expect consistent results. In other words I do it when I don't care.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

crm posted:

Something I've added to my game is a high post/face up move that is very effective.

Basically you get the ball at the elbow or just below it and without dribbling do a "reverse pivot*", where instead of pivoting off the foot closest to your defender, you pivot off the one away from the defender and face him, giving you a quick moment where you've got some separation and you can get off a quick jumper. If the defender jumps at the shot, put the ball down and just go to be the basket. If they lay off, you've got an easy 12' jumper.

It's my favorite thing to do against hyper aggressive/athletic dudes. I've made some quality AAU kids look very silly.

* This move was made famous by Jack Sikma. Go look up his videos, it's a work of art.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1KEWqgZmeE&feature=related

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

pat posted:

Rolled my ankle pretty badly 3 weeks ago, this thread is making me depressed. Anyone been sidelined for longer than 4 weeks with an ankle sprain? (I rolled it the "wrong" way, which is less common, to the inside of my foot.)

I have. I stayed off it for maybe two months. Then it was fine and I slowly regained my full range of motion. Just take is slowly and let it heal.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

stephelopholus posted:

Someone had some fingernails last night. I have a nice sized scratch across my entire forehead, and clients have been staring at it all day.

Also a fight with real punches thrown during a game last night. Standard pick-up stuff.

I hate fights at a pick up game. I reeaaallllly hate when someone gets on their bike/car and says "Ima get my buddies and kick your asses/Ima get my gun and shoot you all" Then I'm like "Oh gently caress, I didn't want to leave yet, but now I guess I have to."

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

mastershakeman posted:

I keep seeing posts about 'just focus on rebounding,' but how the heck do I learn to get position over people 6+ inches taller than me? I can do it when I crash in and and not man up on someone, but when I'm playing defense low, it seems like there's nothing I can do since tall dudes can just reach over me even when my body is on theirs.

If I were playing people 6+ inches taller than me, I would probably move away from the basket area and focus my play on more "guard"-like things.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jack's Flow posted:

It works for me, but maybe it is a stupid tip in general: learn to tip rebounds to yourself. I'm a short dude with average hops, but I can snatch a lot of rebounds by tipping them out of the hands of the bigger dudes (if they go up with just one hand, they just gave up their height advantage). You don't need to control the ball right away, a little controlled tip can go a long way to grabbing the rebound in a spot where no other player is around.

I think timing (jumping at the right moment) and position have a lot to do with it also. But a six inch difference is just killer. If I was playing somebody six inches shorter than myself, I would murder them on the boards no matter when I jumped or what position he was in. Unless he had the physique of a brick wall and just shoved me out of the way.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

rscott posted:

I rebound over people 6"+ shorter than me without even leaving my feet.

I would have a field day in all aspects of the game if playing somebody 6" shorter than me. Posting up, I wouldn't even have to put in any effort. I would take jumpers from anywhere on the court since I wouldn't even be afraid you could block my shot. On defense, I'd probably block everything.

I would be *very* afraid of the following: 1.) If you had skills and can dribble, you could probably blow by me and make me look stupid. I'm assuming here that you are fast. 2.) If you established that you had skills and could get by me, and started taking me out way past the basket. I'd have to give you space to respect your drive and you could start hitting jumpers all day on me.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Regnevelc posted:

My ADIDAS T-Mac 2's.

http://www.nikebrandstore.com/tracy-mcgrady-shoes/1542-adidas-t-mac-2-shoes-in-white-blue.html

God drat those shoes own.

"Nike" brand store selling Adidas stuff? :monocle:

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
When the wind pick ups, I just move closer to the basket before I shoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
To be honest, when the wind picks up that badly, I don't even like to make banked up layups. I just try my best to elevate and dunk it to ensure that the ball goes right into the hoop. I only do that on breakaway fast breaks though. The rest of the time I just try to finger roll it as close to the rim as I can.

Also, if you have to fix a backboard that was broken due to errant shots, it may be a problem.

• Locked thread