Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

euphronius posted:

If he already has position you cant push.

But it gets hard if he is still pushing you closer to the basket. I don't know. Some guys like to fight and don't care and some guys get real pissy and call fouls.

If you're unsure, ask a teamate, another guy who's been around. I've played with groups that tell the offensive player to cut it out, and others who've said "tough luck you're outweighed by 100 lbs dude".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

euphronius posted:

When my friend and me ran PNR once it worked but all the kids laughed us and called us old white men and then didn't let us play anymore.

We get this all the time when the 16 year olds get up early enough on saturday to play with us 30 year olds. I actually love these games. On the one hand, they get 5 or 6 easy baskets because they're so athletic and can dunk. On the other hand, we get 5 or 6 easy baskets because we set screens and force turnovers by helping out D and box out rebounding.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

rscott posted:

I wear a sweatband because if I don't sweat gets in my eyes! I should really get some goggles too, my glasses are getting hosed up from being knocked off by hands and I can't see a drat thing otherwise.

Get some rec specs. I can't wear contacts, and used to wear an old pair of glasses, but rec specs changed so much for me. They take some getting used to w/ depth perception, but not having to push them up the nose/back on/etc is great. Also, really lessen the risk of horrific injuries from busted glasses.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

But when they just push into you with a shoulder , then what? Can I push back so long as I don't use my arms? I'm usually stronger than the people I play with but I don't understand when I'm allowed to push vs not. Hell, this applies to post work too, where some guya will push as hard as they can to get a few feet from the basket while waiting on a pass, then get mad if I try to slow, stop, or reverse their progress.

I've asked my friends these questions a million times but they can never distill their instinctive defense into words. Plus, since they're all a lot taller, they go for blocks much more which I can't do. And the few small guys seem to be able to get away with lots of pushing because of their size. Stronger short guys like me fit into a strange area where I'm either too rough or not rough enough and there's no way to learn without constant fouling or weak defense. I'm just super frustrated with my last few games, is all, to where I feel like I should start knocking people completely off their path when they drive right into me.

If you're getting pushed around in the post, you can always pull the chair out, or front them...give them something different when it's not just pushing. If you're getting barreled into, I'd at least jaw with them. We don't call offensive fouls where I play, but I'll call folks out for playing reckless like that.

And yes, don't leave your feet, arms up, and try to funnel guys into bad shots or the help. I've also gone to guys who called a lot of fouls on me after a game, and asked them what I've been doing that has them calling me so much. Especially if you play with guys a lot, you can learn that some folks give more leeway than other and you learn to play certain folks differently.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007
Oh sure. I was mainly going on mastershakeman's comment that he was shorter. I'm (usually) the shortest dude on my courts. If it's a straight up jumpshooter, it's fine to go and contest. When there's guys driving in and using their bodies, I've found it a lot better to stay straight and funnel. If I jump on someone who drives a lot, I'm too short to really get a good opportunity on the ball, so I either foul or can't do much on the play.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007
Steve Nash had a good shooting drill here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejTrZOkFXtk

and Jimmer Fredette has a decent breakdown of shooting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_FdUdj_zKk&feature=relmfu

other than that, practice practice practice. I'm still not a great shot, but I've improved markedly by just getting to the courts 15-20 mins before my regular group does and shoot that whole time

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

mynameisjohn posted:

I understand that it is annoying, but stop whining and encourage/help them. you cant expect everyone to be a student of the game. try to have fun, it sounds like youre spoiling the game for yourself.

Yeah, if you're not telling guys what to do or how you'd like the offense to (maybe) run, it's going to be the same old all of the time.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

Doltos posted:

In my experience, the people who stand around and call for the ball know what they should be doing, they're just being lazy.

Yeah, that sounds more like what RCarr was talking about. But I've been in plenty of games with kids who only play pick-up and/or adults who've not played much before. It's never hurt to be assertive in those situations...I'm not a dick, but let folks know they need to call out picks/set off ball picks/etc.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007
Dude moves from Sarasota to find himself. Learns about new york and life through pick-up ball. Seems destined for a Nora Ephron movie someday.

It's actually a really good read. Lots of pick-up court regulars one can relate to. I enjoyed his thought about the courts kids have and how it relates to their ball skills as adults (kids can't find the time to work on shooting on NYC courts, so they learn ball handling. Midwestern kids have no one around, so they are great shooters).

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

Ugh, more counting stats instead of efficiency :colbert:

It's well known that the pick-up teams with statisticians on retainer outperform those without statisticians. Also, they accrue more wedgies/36min than other teams.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

spamman posted:

One of the guys I play with bit the bullet and went for some goggles, he maintains it's the best thing he's ever done for his game.

I just started playing in a social league for the first time ever and after pretty much only ever playing 3 on 3 my entire life I'm completely lost on offence. I figure it'll get better with time, but my only real use at the moment is setting high screens and offensive rebounding.

Oh, and it's absolutely 1s and 2s and make it take it (we call it possession). And you must win by two.

Recspecs were the best thing I ever did. I can't wear contacts and I had such a problem with not only seeing the rim, but also seeing things like where teammates were looking for passes. I was always a decent defender and rebounder, but only when I got recspecs could I contribute offensively.

Don't just set high screens, set lots of off-ball screens for other guys cutting. Whatever you do, don't get caught just sitting on the perimeter, always be moving somehow. Don't drag your defender near your teammate if he's got the ball in the post, but otherwise, movement is key.

1+2s to 16, win by 2. Strait win at 21.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

Dogs Bower posted:

Ya it does i'll try to work on that next time i go to shoot around.

There's this video that I always liked as inspiration. I actually always start facing the basket ~5 feet out just to get a feel for the hoop and reset my form (I have some thigh and hip issues that make it hard to square up so this really helps me). Then move out to the FT line/that arc. Finally, only if I'm feeling good with those shots will I even try 3 pointers.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

jimcunningham posted:

As I get older and less athletic (fatter), I find that young guys want to block everything, so work on pump faking and doing moves afterwards.

This...even against good pickup players, so many guys have a natural instinct to block. Use that.

Learn to watch for a cutting teammate. A lot of times, esp. if you're bigger than your defender, you'll get doubled in the post. That means someone is open for an easy basket. You don't need to put it up every time you've got the ball in the post, just enough to keep them honest.

Passing to a teammate also gives you lots of putbacks. Practice repetitive jumps, get used to tipping the rebound up and not grabbing it.

All of this is coming from a shorter guy who is a good defender, so I often have to guard a bigger guy in the post.

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

rscott posted:

Anyone else find it way easier to roll off the pick when you set a screen with your back instead of the front?

For a long time I did, but I've gotten a lot better at the 'right' way w/ a lot of practice. It's pretty noticable how much better my roll is now, it really gives you an edge on when you're ready to receive the ball if you set the standard pick. Trick is to have your head/neck turned towards the basket as you set the pick, then as you turn your body, your head/shoulders are ready to receive the ball. If you set the pick with your back, you're at a big disadvantage regarding knowing when you can start the roll and the D can recover on you more quickly.

Also, to all the folks upset with their offence above...relax, esp. on the court. If you are the last option on offence on your team, they don't need you to score 5-10 points a game. They need you to score 1 or 2 points on 3 or 4 (good) shots. Even if you barely shoot 50% on open layups, still do it. Your goal should be to be enough of an offensive threat to force your man to not cheat off of you. If the defense can cheat off of you, it's a huge negative. If they have to at least keep some track of you, you help your better offensive teammates out so much.

Also, put more energy into crashing the offensive boards. If you're short, don't try to secure the rebound, tap it out and let others fight for it. Can't do worse than just not crashing. This can also force your opposing man to stay on you at all times.

Do yourself a favor and when you're sitting and just check out the makes and misses other players have. Everyone misses a ton in pickup, this isn't the NBA. You all need to get over your nerves about missing layups and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLikeAMadDog
Jul 1, 2007

angry climber posted:

What do you guys do if there is a tie-up between two guys/gals for the ball?

A. Shoot for possession, then alternate possession if it happens again.
B. Shoot for possession, shoot again each subsequent occurrence.
C. Call "first", then alternate possession.
D. Call "first", call "first", every subsequent occurrence.
E. Continue struggling for the ball until someone gets upset/fight breaks out.

Any options I didn't list?

We go with the team that didn't start the game with posession getting the 1st jump ball/questionable call and alternate from there.

Alternately, you give it to the sweatier, littler guy that's somehow managed to worm his way to the bottom of the pile. But he's got to clean up the floor first.

• Locked thread