Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
Concur on the Pilate or Yoga. I tried out Yoga from P90X of all things, and it made me feel like I was back in high school again in terms of joint strength, and I am now more flexible than I ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
I need some basketball kick advice from you guys with the new hyperfuse and hyperdunks if you have used them before, because I might be getting a new pair.

I've been wearing the 2010 hyperfuse and I love it even better than the 2011 ones since I hated the 2011's heel. I love hyperfuse's light weight and responsiveness, but the cushion does run on the light side and the upper bruises the top of my feet when I tighten it really tight.

So, has anyone tried the new hyperfuse/dunks? What are your thoughts?

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

Declan MacManus posted:

Hyperdunks are even lighter than the Hyperfuse (at least the 2011s that I've compared them to), although in my experience they tend to run pretty narrow. However, for some reason, they're less breathable than the Hyperfuse (probably added support). Also you have to clean the soles of the Hyperdunk regularly otherwise you'll lose traction. The new Hyperdunks have really good cushioning although I've heard some people complain that it feels uneven after a while, which hasn't happened to me.

Yeah I suspected that Hyperdunks were the way forward over Hyperfuses and I guess it's true.

IanTheM posted:

http://nightwing2303.com/

This dude tests them all for you, apparently the 2012 hyperdunk is great.

drat I totally forgot about this awesome guy. Just saw his '5 Great Sneakers for PG's' and it's definitely not making the decision any easier for me lol

http://sneakerreport.com/features/the-5-best-basketball-sneakers-for-point-guards-today/6

edit- oop nevermind that article wasn't him.

danucleus fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Nov 6, 2012

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
You can pick up soccer

Kidding aside, my sincere condolences man. I've fortunately/unfortunately have only had one concussion before, I can't imagine having 7! But if I were you, I would look into a custom helmet like the one the Chelsea keeper has. I think he would literally drop dead or something if he takes one more hard hit to the head.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

BIZORT posted:

Good socks are a must if your shoes are doing that. Get sport socks. I had never heard of them until a few months ago but they have elastic around the middle of your foot so nothing slips

This cannot be stressed enough. I used to get gigantic blisters before I realized my socks sucked. Now a days I only play in the most comfortable and softest socks I can find.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
If you must play, try driving less and be more of a spot up shooter or passing man. The more you get out of contact situations the less chances you'll hurt it again. This way you can still run with your friends and not feel left out.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
My wrists and hands will hurt for days after playing for the first time after a long drought. I haven't played for so long I'm even missing that feeling...

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

mynameisjohn posted:

don't buy anything underarmour

this dude at http://kicksoncourt.com/ has reviewed almost every basketball shoe known to man

I've always thought that dude has pretty good regards to Underarmour shoes? What's wrong with them?

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
Stiff arm him to the ground.

or Eurostep is fine too.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
And that's why adults should always dunk hard and block the hell out of eighth grader's shots

Injury related: Do you guys bike or do stationary bikes at all? I did this once a week in addition to keeping my knees warm all the time, and all of my chronic pains went the gently caress away! :aaa: I also realized the value of leg curl/extension machines for basketball knees. For the first time in more than a year I can say that my knees feel strong instead of always fearing they'll blow out just by walking up stairs.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
I've been told I have a hitch... a hesitation, shooting in games vs when I practice; which I thought looked pretty good. Maybe this is why sometimes I'm on fire and sometimes I can't buy a bucket to save my rear end. This probably makes me a shooter like 2012-2013 Blake Griffin :(

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

Cole posted:

This poo poo works, so try it. It will only work once a game, and probably only once a day if you keep playing with the same people.

When the teams are picked, there's usually this natural "is this person that I am about to pass to on my team?" for the first few seconds. No poo poo, guard your own teammate when he has the ball. The other team will usually be paying more attention to whoever they are guarding and think you are on their team and just let it go. If you and the ball handler knows what's going on, it's an easy point.

This will not fly at the gym I play in.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

Sypher posted:

Well, I am officially joining a basketball league that starts in April. I am 29 and haven't played an organized game of basketball since I was a Junior in High School. I was a PG and will most likely reprise my role in the league. However, getting my ball handling skills back to what they were might prove to be challenging. Luckily I have access to a free open gym less than 5 miles away.

I am mainly just looking for shoe suggestions. I went to Dicks Sports and tried on a few pair. I really liked the feel and comfort of the CP3.VI AE; however, I am worried that there isn't enough ankle support for someone that hasn't maintained an athletic build. Hyperdunks seem to be highly reviewed online. I tried them on, and they felt decent, but it kinda felt like they would hinder sprinting. They just felt a little too.. constrictive? Maybe they have a break in period? Any other shoes I should look at? I am looking in the $90-$120 range.

For what its worth I am 5'10" with an average to slim build. Just recently started getting back into shape after 11 years of smoking and knee surgery.

I wear a pair of 2012 Hyperdunks. You really must lace it all the way up to the top, that way even with the lace tight, you'll still get adequate ankle movement. It's definitely not the most comfortable pair of shoes, but it does break in a bit.

I will always remember the pair of 1999 Reebok Iversion Answer III (DMX cushioning) I wore in middle school. Those were honest to God the most comfortable pair of shoes I've ever worn to this day (the movement I got from those shoes were amazing). But then again I haven't tried many pairs other than Hyperfuse and Hyperdunks and cheap And 1's.

Having done the whole light weight thing, I think I'm ready to try to maximize comfort again. Anyone have recommendations? I prefer shoes with wider bottoms and the Hyperdunks do have that right.

danucleus fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 4, 2014

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

EMC posted:

I have the current CP3's (CP3 VII I think) and they are really comfortable, didn't have any real break in time and have remained comfy a few months down the track, getting a good 3 hours of ball in a week. Before that I had the Kobe 8's and these are much nicer to wear

I gotta give those a try then. I also want to try the Under Armor shoes. I hear those are great as well.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
I find that I must be constantly drinking water to play well at all (alcohol destroys my shot). It might be psychological or I'm just chronically dehydrated, but if I don't hit the water fountain between every game, I turn useless. I also can never play well when hungry.

Hit a game winner 3 in my first game yesterday. Felt pretty good because the show-off guarding me tried to be Steph Curry and hit a couple long bombs early on, and decided to go under the screen on me.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

mynameisjohn posted:

I go straight to eating finger foods, the dirt and grit add flavor and hustle to my meal.

It's just court spice

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

Guru Yaekob posted:

Its not really my shooting ability that is bad in the post I just cant handle the ball when there are 3 people swarming to me, I need space to play, soon as I try to back someone up everyone swarms and I either have to pass or lose the ball. I'm much more of a catch and shoot player.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is I have bad shooting ability in the post.

You can play your game, or you can work to add another dimension to your game. It sounds like you have bad footwork. Playing in the paint is all about footwork and less about dribbling especially if you're the tallest guy on court (cuz you'll get stripped). tell them to pass high and work off your pivot foot and pump a few. Only dribble in the paint if you can gain a quick position advantage before help D comes and it's all over.

Basically, I'd try to at least go in the post once or twice a game and wait for a pass or rebound if I were you. Rest of the time just knock down 3's. If you only shoot, your game becomes way too predictable.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
Played like complete poo poo today missing big left and right. I really need to mentally get myself to get to the basket more in a 5x5. Anyone struggled with that as well and beat it?

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
If only I had someone to set screens for me... I'll probably start calling my own screens.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
In college I had a snowboarding collision on an icy slope(some newbie girl cutting in without looking) followed by her full weight landing on my knee. Clamped down by the board, I felt the knee twist unnaturally between her weight and the slope. I had awful health insurance and it was the scariest moment of my life as my knees were already a bit unstable due to bad weight-training habits at the time (if you squat, also work on your hammies/glutes and cycling, kids).

Then as I waited for the perpetrator to bring her full weight up from my knee, I hear who I presumed to be her boyfriend asking her, if she was okay (of course she was as my knee absorbed her entire landing). I was so mad I couldn't even speak.

I thanked Jesus, the stars and the mountain that I was able to get up after that and limp off the slope (probably a severe sprain as I never got it diagnosed). That same knee bothered me for years after that and it took targeted training, lots of heat pads, padded shoes (no more sandals and flats) and stretching to finally gain my lateral basketball moves back.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

Mandrel posted:

use your body and off arm to shield your dribble and slap them away if they try to reach and grab.

Is this actually legal to do? If it is then I've been missing this important piece of defense in my arsenal.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
I just picked up a pair of 2013 UA Anatomix. I hear they're super sweet and super comfortable and can't wait to try them (I wish I could have grabbed any of the killer colorways other than blacks). I also tried on a pair of CP3 VII and I was surprised at how responsive they were, so I also snagged a pair with a killer discount. I feel like a total sneaker head right now but I figured I deserved it after two months of continuous hard work with no time to play or work out at all.

e: pix
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-FLWIsWjSByg/UbtyHZEdLKI/AAAAAAAAL8Q/qTBcZuTkQHE/s1600/Under-Armour-Anatomix-Spawn-First-Look-2.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/95soleman/cp3_vii_ae_blackconcordinfrared23.jpg

cougar cub posted:

So I use Jordan XX8 for indoor and I bought another pair for outdoor pickup. Unfortunately it only took 2 pickup games to tear a hole in the rubber sole where I pivot. Are there any shoes that fit as tight as the XX8s that wont disintegrate on outdoor concrete courts?

hyperdunks/fuse last forever, I use them for outdoor courts. The outsoles of any shoes will get trashed outdoors if you are into lots of pivot and lateral turns.

danucleus fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 23, 2014

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

BIZORT posted:

In my experiences, any ball that's really, really good needs to be broken in and will frustrate you the first ten or or so times you use it. I haven't played in a few months but I have a brand new Spalding TF-1000 waiting to be broken in. My friend has the same one and it's my favorite ball that I've ever used but they're really hard to find in Australia

Second vote for TF-1000 Leather. My gym has them and they're great! A guy brings the Evolution, it's fine but it feels kinda bouncy/spongy.

Igor Strelkov posted:

What's the best basketball shoe review place? I'm looking for some basket shoes that are extra fortified and that can support the brittle ankles of a pan european body.

Nightwing2303 on Youtube remains the most trust worthy reviewer. Guy is a genuine sneakerhead and reviews everything. He finally got big enough to launch a review site a few years ago. http://weartesters.com/

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
5v5 is such a good workout. A two week gap is enough to leave me dead on the floor the first day back.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

havelock posted:

Since I'm back in my home town but too sick to drop in on my old pickup game, a rules question instead.
Is stepping through after an up and under a travel? Ie, do you have to jump off of both feet?

For example, using your right foot as pivot you face up and shot fake. The defender bites so you pivot again on your right, stepping your left foot inside of the defender. If you then step through (by lifting your pivot and jumping off your left foot) is that a travel?

I think it is, but it probably doesn't matter because no one in pickup cares.

Scrapez posted:

It's a travel unless you're in the NBA. You apparently get 9 steps in the NBA.

Actually, as long as the ball is released before the pivot foot touches the ground again, all is kosher.

see Traveling:
http://www.nba.com/nba101/misunderstood_0708.html

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
I feel like one of the stereotype should be that guy who nobody knows shows up demanding to play point, then pretend he has mad handles every chance he has touching the ball and dribbles between his legs like poo poo, and refuses to pass to open teammates, resulting in both teams watching him dribble at the top of the key with everyone like "wtf is this guy doing?" and then jacks up a 3 that misses badly, then quits halfway into a game with no one to sub for him. gently caress that guy.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
This is more a strength (probably technique too) related question: how do you guys keep from getting stripped within the arc? I'm 5'10" and I would like to cut and get in the paint way more than I normally do, but it's hard because when interior D is packing in, I sometimes get stripped. I just hate getting stripped in these or 50/50 situations and sometimes I think the defense may be reaching in, but who wants to be that guy? I hate hugging the ball in these situations because it stops everything, but maybe that's what I should just do?

So, any workout or general tips?

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

Regnevelc posted:

learn the euro step

I use the euro fairly often, actually. It doesn't really apply in a slowed half court situation with packed paint.

Intruder posted:

Without knowing anything about how you handle the ball, most people I know who get stripped a lot dribble way too high and don't do a good job of keeping their body between the ball and the defender

I can dribble pretty well with both hands, but I probably do dribble too high when I slow down.

Dejan Bimble posted:

If they're reaching in, don't be afraid to hip bump them or give them a stiff arm. I suppose you might want to do squats to strongthin your legs and do some back and core work to give you the power to push

That might be my problem right there. For a long time I thought stuff arming was illegal and tended to avoid arm contact st all cost. It still feels kinda weird to me. I have pretty strong leg strength, but I should work on being more explosive.

I also need to work on something to make sure I win two hand contested balls.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

RCarr posted:

Are you talking about being stripped while driving to the hoop? Or when you're just dribbling in general? When you say hugging the ball, do you mean standing still after you've picked up your dribble? Or protecting the ball on a layup?

Man I did a poor job presenting my problem. I guess I'm talking about after picking up dribble, and also contest balls (such as a just received pass) where there is just not enough space to start the dribble before the other guy puts his hands on the ball

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
Thanks for the great tips friends :) Getting out hustled doesn't happen that often, but when it does, it's super irritating.

Now to hit the gym harder and get all these stuff committed and do them on court...

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

the wildest turkey posted:

Screens can be tricky and it also depends a lot on the size of the court and how the rest of your team is spacing the floor. The guys I used to play with a lot would all crowd the paint so it was usually impossible to run the pick & roll (but a pick & pop would work really well).

Anyway, here's the USA Basketball youth development website, some good drills & articles: http://www.usab.com/youth/development.aspx

Time to revive sneaker chat: I'm finally getting back into playing but my old shoes have no tread on them - any recommendations for a good indoor shoe (specifically for wide/flat feet)?

I love. LOVE. Under Armour Anatomix Spawn. They are so comfortable and the mobility is great. The shoes I wore previously were the Hyperdunks 2013 (great at the time, but stiff once heels are locked down); they are still in good shape but I just can't get myself to wear them anymore because of how great the Anatomix Spawn feel. I have the breathable original, and not the Anatomix Spawn 2 by the way. This is one of those rare cases where the design philosophy actually worked and comes through in on court play. :allears: I will milk these shoes til they're smooth and never. NEVER. ever take them outdoors (what the Hyperdunks is used for now).

They hold up great too. I've played regularly 1-3 times a week since September and the treads are still as good as new (only once outdoors).

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
Played on a team with some old guy and his son or grandson today who proceeded to bark out orders and giving me grief for leaving my man during a 3 on 4 fast break to contest the wide open corner 3; which I did successfully and forced the pass back up the top of the arc, where my guy then catches the outlet pass and drains a 3. Honestly, if he was going to yell, it should've been at the next closest guy who should've 'helped the helper'. It should not have been at a guy who was at least attempting to force either a contested shot or pass out.

That's who I hate playing with. Old guy quarterback.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
This might go against conventional wisdom in the thread, but I can attest that wrapping is not as necessary as I once thought (at least pre-30). From personal experience, strength conditioning, endurance training and stretching the lower extremities are really the best thing to avoid joint pains. There was a period of time in my early 20's where I felt like every joints in my body was breaking down, and I had to start wearing pads and wraps when I worked out or played. What finally worked for me, was to switch to a high collagen/elastin diet whenever I exercised; strengthening my hamstrings, shins and ankles to prevent rolls, giving up lifting more than my body weight in squats and a brief period of therapy via yoga. What was also instrumental was playing in footwear that had proper padding and feels light on my feet. Now I'm 28 and I just need my trusty sneakers and I can play anytime and feel like I did when I was in high school.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

Doltos posted:

Wrapping your joints and muscles are used for a variety of reasons that depend from person to person. So you're right that wrapping for everyone isn't necessary, but it is for a lot of people.

Strength conditioning and endurance training are great, same with stretching, but everything has to be done with specificity. Specificity basically just means train/stretch to mimic the actions you'll take in game. Pickup basketball is a bit different than normal basketball in that the games are shorter but you don't get a break until the game is over. That means if you're playing a 20 minute game you're surpassing the glycolytic energy system and enter into the oxidative one, the energy system long distance runners use.

So basically if you want to keep your joints healthy wrapping can be smart, but restricting joint movement isn't always great, especially if you jump a lot or shoot a lot. Like big guys who wrap their knees in the NBA do so because they're only jumping for rebounds or standing dunks. But if you're a 5'11 weekend warrior playing PG and your repertoire is exclusively outside turn around jumpers, then limiting the plane of movement and the range of movement of your joints isn't that smart. Arm sleeves/leg sleeves are also used for stability. Like you know why you use a lifting belt? It gives stability to the spinal column by increasing abdominal pressure through restricting the flow of blood (side note: people who wear weight belts all the time at the gym and never take them off are doing themselves no favors at all for long term muscle strength). Same concept with arm sleeves/leg sleeves. You should only wear the compression kind if you actually have problems with blood pooling in your feet or you have ridiculously long arms that get cold. Normal non-compression wraps are fine though. Look like Kirk Hinrich, we all secretly know it's cool as poo poo to wear four sleeves.

Stretching is really weird. Basically there is a ton of research that says it helps prevent injuries and also does nothing to prevent injuries. In fact, many people stretch completely wrong. Like they'll stretch out their elbows and knees with an isocentric movement, hold it there for 10-15 seconds, and all of a sudden they actually weakened the ligaments in their joints, which means they'll lift less/jump lower. Stretching should always mimic the action you're taking in game. So for basketball it's really good to roll from the heel to the balls of your feet and hold it for just a moment or two. Mimicing running helps too, so like putting your arm against the wall and moving your leg back and forth. Also believe it or not skipping is like one of the best stretches you can do for basketball. It's why you see NBA players skip around the court early. Moving your hips up and down while keeping stride smoothly is basically an awesome warmup and great for your joints.

And if you're an old gently caress and you don't want to get gassed in the middle of a game, just go outside and walk/jog/run.

Yeah I agree with everything you're saying. I didn't know about skipping though, that makes common sense once you point it out.

Good to know about the weight belts. I was always kind of skeptical of it, good to know there's scientific logic that backs up the skepticism. I guess short term it'll still help with getting over the hump? Or maybe it's just much better to lower weights and get better rest?

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
You guys have any good tips on how to improve handling? I can dribble both hands, do cross overs, but I lose the ball way more than I'd like when I'm pressured.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm

Great advice. I'll be working on this on the gym.

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
Partying with bandaid on any finger just never works

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007
hmm
I had to google what carpeted basketball courts look like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danucleus
Nov 22, 2007