Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Two gripes:

1. 7-8 people are hanging out at a court shooting but don't want to play 3-on-3 or 4-on-4, they want to play 21.

2. People who insist on playing full court even though several others want to play half, then don't hustle up and down the court so the game turns into a sloppy breakaway layup affair. Real fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Regnevelc posted:

I've never seen the first one happen. As for the second go half unless everyone wants full.

The first one happens around here, Oakland CA. The second gets tricky when say 8 people want to go full- probably wouldn't go over too well if you were one of the holdouts.

I just despise playing 21 when there are 4 or more people.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Cherry picking lob passes are not loving basketball and if I could I would just walk off the court and do something else once that starts happening because it's a complete waste of my time.

My thoughts exactly.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

mastershakeman posted:

I'm fine just staying up by someone if he's a jumpshooter, but since 99% of dudes, even those taller than me, will simply drive to the basket, I have no idea what I'm allowed to do.

If you're unable to stop guys from driving by moving your feet and keeping them in front of you, then you're going to have to rely on team defense. Your teammates should help out on the drive while you cover someone who's left uncovered due to your teammates rotating to help. At the very least you should "follow" your man and get after the potential rebound.

Work on your lateral quickness to keep guys in front of you. Watch players to spot tendencies- there aren't many players who can go left or right with equal skill. "Steer" your man one way or another into defensive help. Talk with your teammates about helping out and how to handle switches.

Also, if you're playing a guy who can beat you off the dribble, you might try to deny him the ball. Guard him everywhere and see if you can take him out of his game a bit. If he's going to go all Reggie Miller on you and run incessantly to get open, or if his team knows how to set screens, then again you're going to need team defense.

Half court basketball is the greatest game on earth.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Doltos posted:

It's really confusing knowing what will or what won't set someone off. What seems like a legitimate tactic to me can be the biggest no-no on the court.

I bet anyone with experience could show you what's reasonable and what's not in about 30 minutes on the court. If you don't know who to ask, you might consider Craigslist or TaskRabbit. Post an ad and see how it goes. I'd be surprised if you can't find someone qualified to offer guidance.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

mastershakeman posted:

But when they just push into you with a shoulder , then what? Can I push back so long as I don't use my arms? I'm usually stronger than the people I play with but I don't understand when I'm allowed to push vs not. Hell, this applies to post work too, where some guya will push as hard as they can to get a few feet from the basket while waiting on a pass, then get mad if I try to slow, stop, or reverse their progress.

You're right, it's a hard thing to gauge, and can vary from game to game and player to player. Try to think not in terms of an absolute scale- like it's always OK to push THIS hard- but a dynamic process. If someone is pushing into you with a shoulder, I believe you have the right to stand your ground and provide equal resistance. If someone is pushing as hard as they can to get open, and this is a common thing among several if not all the players and no one is calling fouls for it, then drat you're in a tough game. I've played in games like that where setting screens means you WILL get elbowed hard- and all I can say is good luck and maybe try to find another game.

Same applies to guys pushing for position in the post. Push back as hard as they're pushing. If you're usually stronger than the people you play with and know how to use leverage, you should be able to keep them in check.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

CrazyLikeAMadDog posted:

And yes, don't leave your feet, arms up, and try to funnel guys into bad shots or the help.

While I agree that it's probably best not to leave your feet at this stage, at some point you have to learn how to go up vertically and contest shots. When they figure out you're not jumping they'll shoot right over you.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

IanTheM posted:

It's ridiculous how time consuming being in real good shape is in terms of conditioning. I learned about active rest the other day though, think I'm gonna try that. Basically the idea is that even on your rest days you do some sort of workout, like stationary bike, swimming, short run, whatever. It just gets your body recovering faster by getting your blood flowing, and you feel better than if you just plain rest.

This helps me as well. Even a brisk walk is good. I've also taken to stretching at my desk- I mean really stretching, like you're straining to touch something above your head, out to your sides, down on the ground, etc. that's just beyond your reach.

The orthopedic surgeon who scoped my knees likes to say that once you hit a certain point- and of course it varies but in general he says around 35 for men- you have to take care of yourself almost as if you're a professional athlete if you want to keep going at it. Gotta reduce the load on your joints by shedding excess weight and building muscle. He's also a big proponent of more sleep, both for the restorative value and because being tired can hinder your ability to cope with stress.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
I've had this idea for a few years and wonder if it could work:

A basketball only gym. Courts rented by the hour. No locker rooms or showers, just vending machines.

It would just be so nice to be able to play when you wanted to play. I live in Oakland CA and it's surprisingly hard to find a good game. Outdoor courts are a crapshoot and gyms are either expensive or crowded or both.

It's just that as we get older our free time becomes so limited. Can't hang out at the park all day on the weekend trying to get in a few games. My friends and I would love to book an indoor court a couple times a week if the price was reasonable.

But I guess this is less of a business idea and more just wishful thinking.

Do you guys have difficulty finding good games/good courts? The worst for me is getting to a court where 7 guys are dicking around playing 21 and don't want to start a game.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

cisneros posted:

Where I live, there's something like that but with indoor soccer fields, and it's pretty successful. It's like a hundred bucks per hour, and you just split it between the guys playing.

I can see the appeal, especially at $5-10 a person.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

EMC posted:

In Australia it's pretty easy to get access to courts, because despite being terrible at the sport internationally it remains popular as a social sport. I usually play here for a couple of hours on the weekend with a group of about 12 of us, ends up about 6-7 bucks each - http://www.venueswest.wa.gov.au/our-venues/wa-basketball-centre/

Whoa- sweet facility. The other stadiums and arenas are impressive as well.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Regnevelc posted:

I think you'd need facilities to support events. Empty courts I don't think would hold much appeal or would generate any revenue without the support of tournaments and such.

I think you're right. The market is probably quite small. I've played in leagues that rented pretty crappy gyms though, maybe that could be another angle.

LOL basically, I just want a place to play hoops indoors at specific times with friends.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

The high-end gym by me actually has a really nice hoops setup. Full-size court, scoreboard, they'll even book refs for you if you're playing a league game, etc., but the downside is it's like $200/month for membership.

There are a few high-end options out this way too, but you know how that goes.

Near my work there are a lot of vacant warehouses that rent for cheap. Whenever I drive by I think about installing a wood floor and putting up hoops, which would of course be much cheaper than a $200/month membership :o)

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

big boi posted:

Pickup basketball is the most fun in the goddamn world. That's all.

So true. I've started to enjoy 3 on 3 more than full court, where there's too much cherry picking and people not getting back.

Gripe: I play at a couple of parks where the competition is generally the same level, mostly people who played in high school with a couple who played JC ball. Just about everyone knows each other and it's a great time, competitive enough to make it interesting but not a life-and-death struggle or hack-fest. Recently there have been groups of friends (non-regulars) who get on the same team who are much better than the rest of us, and they end up staying on the court for literally 3-4 hours winning game after game. They refuse to break up the team to make the games more even. And it's not like they're working on offensive sets for some league or something, they're just screwing around and crushing far inferior teams.

Learning to shoot bank shots from 10-16 feet on either side has really improved my game. It's much easier for me than shooting straight on. Whether it's popping out around down screens or running the baseline and curling back up for the pass, it's usually possible to get that shot even against better competition. And if the defense starts to overplay and deny it, it opens up some great cutting opportunities.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

RCarr posted:

Winner stays on the court, that's just how it is. Step yo game up, son.

I know what you're saying. There's too wide a gap in skill level and size, strength and quickness though. I just don't get why the stacked teams enjoy such lopsided games.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

cisneros posted:

Every time an obviously loaded team shows up, we gather a team that can stand up to it from around the court. I like how, when some 6'6"+ dude shows up, everyone suddenly remembers defensive rotations, boxing out, and stuff like that.

Unfortunately even the best of the regulars can't make it a good game let alone beat the stacked teams.

True that better competition can make people play better though. I'm all for that.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

RCarr posted:

In my situation, I've played basketball with the same couple friends for 10+ years. We know each others game inside and out. I know where they will be on the court, I know when they will cut, set a pick, etc. I don't want to spend my time playing basketball with people I don't know who suck/dont play defense/ dont set picks / dont rebound / etc.

It's not any fun playing with people like that. I just want to play with my friends.

I get that. But let's say that your opponents are well below your level such that if you wanted to, you could easily shut them out (barring miracle lucky shots). In the case of me and my friends, it would be the equivalent of playing junior high school kids. You would really rather play like that than even out the teams? I guess you'd get a decent cardio workout since you're playing so many games in a row, so maybe there's that.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

If they are staying on the court 3-4 hours you need to run more.

You mean the regulars need to improve their game so they can better compete? We play once a week (if that) and I think most of us have reached our peak (and are heading down the other side).

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

RCarr posted:

No, if it's clearly just embarrassing the other team or something, scoring 5+ points in a row, then I would definitely switch up teams after a game or two.

I'm with you on that.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

No I mean you need to pick up the pace so they get tired.

We can't keep up with THEIR pace.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

cisneros posted:

You should just cherrypick.

There should be a special court in each city where people who cherrypick can play by themselves.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Regnevelc posted:

We had a prick playing this Saturday AM. He didn't like a call that was called on him so next time down the court I caught his elbow as I got a rebound.

Usually I'm a relatively passive player, but that pissed me off. I guarded him 2 games after that and he had 1 basket and 0 rebounds. If you're playing against me, don't be an rear end in a top hat.

I love it. You just know he was seething inside, especially with everyone on the sidelines watching him get shut down.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

RCarr posted:

I've gotten into plenty of scuffles on the court and came close to throwing punches many times. Never actually happened though. (I would never start a fight, but I have no problem getting in people's faces if they try to talk poo poo or bully me)

Sometime last year though, I was playing against a dude who had a good 6-8 inches on me, and was locking him down on defense, and boxing him out easily on the boards because he was lazy and had no footwork. He was getting REALLY pissed and started throwing vicious elbows. He caught me square in the teeth with one eventually. Knocked me out cold, split my lip wide open, and left me with a wonderful scar for life! gently caress that dude. When I woke up he was gone. I was told the second he saw me go down, he just ran off the court, got in his car and booked it.

Edit: Found the picture in this thread!

Holy crap! But yeah, you get a sense that some people are working out their personal issues on the court.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
90% of the full court games I play in outside devolve into the crappiest cherry-picking games very quickly when people get tired and don't come back and play D. It's baffling why most people lobby to play full court. I much prefer playing half court these days, I think it's more of a thinking person's game. Having said that, I'll take a good full court game over half court any day.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

thompson posted:

I'm 26 and am currently battling shin splints and plantar fasciitis.

Have you considered getting checked for orthotics? I had the same issues as you around the same age and they made a huge difference. Unfortunately it took me 3 tries with different podiatrists to get one that worked, which ended up being the flimsiest-looking one of the 3, and cost $450 a pair.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

thompson posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm going to need to. I have chronically flat feet. Like seriously 0 arch. I've been wearing the cheapo dr. Schools crap. Was it worth upgrading over that? I feel I probably know the answer to that.

Mine are pretty flat too. I'd tried many over the counter products to no avail before trying orthotics. They felt kind of awkward at first, especially the first pair, maybe because they were made out of a piece of steel and were more rigid. The 3rd pair which worked is just a relatively thin piece of plastic that has held up for 4 years and counting. It's fraying a bit but it's still solid. The 3rd podiatrist was much more comprehensive in his exam, he not only took a plaster cast of my feet but also had me walk on a pressure sensitive mat which showed the lbs/sq inch I was exerting on different parts of my feet as I walked.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Intruder posted:

Full court is significantly more fun IMO even with the cherry picking that inevitably goes on

I'd say you're in the majority on this one. Maybe I'm getting old.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

straight up brolic posted:

Half court 3 on 3 is how pick up basketball is meant to be played imo

Full court 4 on 4 on a smaller, shorter court can also be really fun.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Doltos posted:

Cherry picking is so easily stopped, just run back on defense. Even if you're the only guy who runs back on defense or spies the person cherry picking you effectively stop the tactic. Cherry pickers usually suck at beating a guy who's clogging their lane which is why they cherry pick in the first place.

Sometimes it's not so easy when multiple people cherry pick and you're trying to stay involved in your team's offense or go after o-rebounds. So yeah I suppose you can change the way you play on offense to chase after cherry pickers, but it's not much fun for me. And defending endless 2 on 1 or 3 on 2 fast breaks isn't much fun either, and there's nothing more thrilling than stopping the layup or the layup being missed, only to have one of the other team's trailers put it back in while you see the rest of your team not even past half court.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

thompson posted:

Tell the guards not to crash and do their jobs? I mean when that craps happening to me I just tell them to get the f back or I'm going to crowd their space on the three point line so I can do it.

In my experience, telling people what to do on the court during pickup generally doesn't go very well nor get positive results. And even if the guards get back if everyone else isn't hustling back it can still result in being outnumbered and overrun.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

cisneros posted:

2+ people cherrypicking is rare, usually it requires something like your team's ballhandler being really bad, constantly forcing the issue despite the numerical superiority and throwing up impossible-to-rebound bricks, is something like that the issue?

Not exactly. Teams generally push the ball up the court and take quick shots, and it's not unusual for all the defenders not to get back. So Team A pushes it up while some Team B defenders are still on their offensive side of the court. When Team A misses a quick shot or the ball is stolen, those lagging Team B defenders are now available to cherry pick a long pass and layup. I suppose that Team A can have some of their players hang back too, but that's kind of lame. In the games I play in, the cherry picking seems more a function of players getting tired/not being in shape than anything else, so it's not like telling them to hustle (which I have) does much good.

It's just a really boring way to play to me, but again I realize that I'm in the minority, just about everyone always wants to play full instead of half and they don't seem to mind how the games tend to devolve.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

danucleus posted:

5v5 is such a good workout. A two week gap is enough to leave me dead on the floor the first day back.

So true, I love playing full 5 on 5. Maybe the fact that it's a good workout also makes it understandable why people who may only play once week or a couple times a month aren't in shape to play it, yet want to play anyway in order to get a good workout even if they can't keep up which (in my mind) messes up the game.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

thompson posted:

I mean I have fairly normal runs. A lot of the personnel is people I know or have played with before. I'm fairly mild mannered and work my rear end off to get rebounds and a lot of the dirty poo poo. Most of the time people listen if I say something. It's probably just the situation.

The games I play in are generally 80% regulars and 20% semi-regulars or non-regulars. I probably play a similar style as you do because I love the physicality of the game and because teams don't play like the Spurs, the ball is not being passed around that much so if I want to get more touches I often have to get them off the boards. The problem as mentioned is that telling someone to get back on D when they're huffing and puffing to catch their breath doesn't go very far, and it doesn't help when those same players are the recipients of easy baskets because they're too tired to get back on D.

socketwrencher fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 8, 2015

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

GrahamBLY posted:

Basically I love my local Y in the lovely part of town, it's the safest and best ball anywhere in my city. Maybe go check yours out instead of the Gold's or wherever you're doing your workout time, I'm sure it's cheaper and you might find a diamond in the rough too!

The Ys in my area are decent but a bit on the expensive side. Sounds like yours has some serious players.

Ever play at West 4th?

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Any recommendations on shoes with more than average cushioning? I got some Hokas for running and love the extra cushioning, and my bball shoes really pale in comparison. Thanks!

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

straight up brolic posted:

the boost shoes are supposed to be really good re: cushion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a74Go2Oj1M

Thanks straight up- I'll check them out.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Nightwing2303 has some good videos, thanks again for that link.

The Lebron Lunarlon insert seems really good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP1slqP025o

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

GrahamBLY posted:

...I don't live in the city anymore, I mostly ball in kingston, some in poughkeepsie and newburgh if I'm with friends or for a tournament. Sorry if I misrepresented myself as some NYC bigshot, I'm the furthest thing from that. I do love playing and I love good hard clean games, but I'm just not willing to get hit in them anymore. Like, at all. I have a bad knee and I think I can keep playing for years as long as I stay away from mongo games. 30+ dudes in those areas (6'4'' + with post game) we're always looking for bigs for league games.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I don't think you misrepresented yourself, I was just curious if you'd played at West 4th because my sister lives in NYC and I've spent a bit of time on that court in years past. Only played in a few serious games with the big time players and it was only because they needed one more; they were way out of my league. But on early weekday afternoons there would often be more casual games that were competitive and fun.

No PNRs were definitely the case and setting screens in general seemed rare (I tried a few times and got nice elbows in the ribs and one shoulder to the face, and that was the end of that). My sense was that needing a screen was considered weak, but that's just a guess.

Agree about the razzle-dazzle but going nowhere handle guys, but drat some of the handles were a thing to behold. The good point guards did something I don't see out on the West Coast as much, which is the Magic Johnson-ish dribble at the top of the key with their body between the defender and the ball- you know, where their body is facing the sidelines while they're surveying the action with a live dribble while protecting the ball. Good luck going for the steal, you're not going to get it. And if they pick up their dribble and you think you're going to swarm all over them, be prepared for some elbows.

I liked how if you could shoot, you'd get the ball. There were several players who had really good jump shots, and they would run their man like Juan Dixon trying to get open, often running on the baseline from corner to corner, then out to the wing, then back all the way around to the other side on the same possession. Running along the baseline or through the key provided screens even if no screens were actually being set.

Also liked how if there were 4 people shooting around, a 2 on 2 game would soon start up. People came to play. Nothing worse to me than 9 guys dicking around playing 21; such a colossal bore and waste of time.

I played at Rucker for the historical significance too but the games were horribly mismatched. That's another thing I don't get, how one team ends up stacked and will roll over much weaker teams for hours on end. Can't stand those games no matter which side I'm on.

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
Caught some games at the famed Rucker Park summer tournament in NYC earlier this summer. Fun atmosphere with MCs narrating the game and a DJ slinging music.

Players are pretty drat fit. Going to the rack is not for the timid.

Surprised to see that they play on lowered rims- maybe 9.5'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

RCarr posted:

Haha what? That's ridiculous.

i thought so too. A couple locals said it's so there's more dunking.

• Locked thread