Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I've been playing pick up ball in parks for ages but I'm in my 30s and pretty much stick to rented gyms in NYC now. Too :corsair: to deal with AND1 mixtape shitheads plus the asphalt is killer on the knees.

Vladimir Putin posted:

Edit: I also don't like when people face guard me. I can see poo poo.

My ultimate pet peeve. Hyper scrappy little guy who face guards me at halfcourt like a man cover DB even when I'm without the ball.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
In halfcourt, losers ball or no-keeps seems to up the intensity in games for w/e reason.

TIP for defending the AND1 dudes. I like to zero in on their chest and midsection when they're trying to cross me over. All of that wild hand movement and shoulder shaking won't register as much.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 8, 2012

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

BIZORT posted:

A friend of mine from high school is only 5'11 but posted videos of himself doing 360 dunks and I couldn't believe it. He's just a typical looking white kid. I asked him what his secret was and he said it was your basic leg and calf strength stuff, calf raises especially. I think he even bought those things for your shoes that raise half of your shoe up like Kramer had in that one Seinfeld episode. However, the eye opener was him saying it was as simple as bending your knees more before the jump along with trying to build up momentum. If you think about it, when you jump you just run and do it rather than really putting any sort of effort into trying to explode off the ground. I've been meaning to try and make that a habit for about 3 years now. He sent me to this url too http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/jumphigher.html

I tried those strength shoes ages ago in HS and they do work. I went from failing to nip backboard to jamming volleyballs with ease in a year or so at 5'10. Thanks for the link, I'm back to having zero vertical due to age and bad knees. I might work some of this stuff into rehabbing the knee.

My game has changed over the years, I used to have pretty good handle and fly around the court. Now, I'm the resident spot up 3pt shooter.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 13, 2012

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

euphronius posted:

After I rolled my ankle (the first time) the paid was outrageous and it takes forever to heal. Then I watch the NBA and you see NBA players miss like a quarter or one game with a sprained ankle. What the christ. Those guys in the NBA are insane (and they have great trainers.)

Then there is Spencer Hawes who has missed most of the season.

Rolling an ankle is one thing, but I had one of those crazy sprains where you hear a pop in the ankle and I was out for ages.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
It never occurred to me until recently when I whipped out some retro Jordans to play in the gym: Ball sneakers have come a long way in terms of weight, support, comfort and grip. Flat soles killed my feet.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 19, 2012

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I've been wearing the Kobe line for awhile now and they're decent but nothing exceptional. I feel they are kind of gimmicky because of the low top thing. You should look into the LeBron 9 though. I believe they are considerably lighter and a few of my friends swear by them. Both are expensive as hell though.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Mar 19, 2012

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
You should film him. People think they look great playing but 95% of the people look awkward, myself included, and not the smooth Wade euro stepping vision they had of himself. There's a guy in my league who is like your guy. No idea how awful he is, I'm talking about taking off at the 3 pt line for a runner kind of stuff. "drat, just missed it..." My rear end

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
^^^ Hahah not going to lie I HATE that. I don't even talk trash.

edit: Off!

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

dudemanbudguy posted:

if you're not a volume shooter, but you are a good shooter, nothing is better than nailing a three while someone yells "off!" Even better if you come back down the court and do it again. :clint:

I know, I consider myself a pretty good shooter now (no choice my knees are shot), but I never trash talk. There's a regular who plays in one of my rented gym spots who pulls the "drat, I HAD that" after you smoke him or "man, I should actually try and play some D" if you score. People are ridiculous. These are guys in their 30s too, mainly Wall street weekend warriors.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I only wear "beaters" outdoors, stuff I'd find at the Nike outlet since they won't last more than a dozen wears before the tread starts to go.

Rose's kicks are real nice but they're over a bill so I wouldn't waste them outdoors.

edit: that's not to say there aren't nice kicks at the outlets; there will be just older models which I'm, sure is fine with you.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 30, 2012

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

crm posted:

Never saw him again. I did find out that at the time he was CFO of the Bobcats.

Fact: The higher up the corporate ladder one is, the dirtier he will ball.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Raptor Jesus posted:

pick-up yesterday in NYC was really fun. got to play with some really good old guys who looked like just-for-men gel ads, some quality ballers in their 20s, and some youngins. We won all of our games 4 v 4 half court.

going out again today around 5 if anyone wants to join in. courts at Houston and Chrystie

Nice, that's where i play outdoors. The courts are pretty good there

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Just find games where you match up better size / skill wise. I just assumed this is what everyone did.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I believe "watch Dream tape" was suggested in jest. That was you growing up though as opposed to a grown man at 6'7 who doesn't play; he might tip over trying to do a dream shake. I'd aim lower for starters. Work on putting the ball in the hole from the paint, throw in a dropstep or 2 and watch some entry level post game vids.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
An unused court in broad daylight. I'm getting misty.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Dogs Bower posted:

Part of it was just the close up... and I'll admit im a little jealous as a grown rear end man who cant grow facial hair.

Back on topic though, I can't shoot 3's with any consistently what is the best way to improve? besides just practice which i do. I don't need to be Ray Allen Steph Curry, it's just frustrating to be so disrespected that pump fakes no longer work, which hurts my ability to attack the hoop. Any small tips would help

Does your shooting form deviate much? When I practice I start out focusing on my form for a bit so I get that muscle memory working.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

cisneros posted:

Yeah, I only fake to one side right now, otherwise I get confused.

Well, you kind of have to I feel since you take off with your dominant foot, allowing your jab foot to on in only one direction. As a righty, I've been eurostepping for a decade and can only jab right then go left.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

cisneros posted:

Well, I'm basically ambidextrous (:smug:) and should be able to fake both sides, but it just feels "wrong" to finish with the opposite foot and then I end up taking an extra step. It's not really a thing I can do more than once per game yet.
Here's both Manu and Wade doing it from the right, that's kinda what I'm aiming for https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KA5PUVBm4w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqx7OqmJpL8

Heh well, I never really thought about ambidexterity feet-wise. RE: Wade video: He is right handed and his dominant lift off foot is his left like myself and the majority of people. Conversely Manu is left-handed and in his video his first foot, the jab is left, then he finishes off going right. I think faking only to one side is pretty much the norm. I've seen Harden euro both directions ina game and was floored.

Are you right handed and take off from the left foot?

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 23, 2013

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Sounds like a guy who has never seen film of himself playing and legitimately thinks you are committing a foul on him and not charging straight through you.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

GNU Order posted:

Why the gently caress can nobody else keep track of the score in a game?

There's a guy in my gym who asks for the score every dead ball despite score calls after every basket. It's probably ADD or something.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
This may work in the NBA since they are professionals at the sport who pour in hours a day practicing over the majority of their life but egging teammates who are 0/10 to "keep shooting, you got this bro!" during pick up games is not OK. Wasted my entire night.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I was at the park recently and saw something pretty wild. There's a competitive (in effort not skill) game of 3 on 3 going on, one guy falls, does a monkey flip to get back up and nails his teammate in the face with his foot who staggers back 5 steps.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

I'm in my 30s so I'm basically planning to destroy a knee sometime soon. Already had some bursitis but we've got that solved for now. Anyway the day you turn 30 they should hand you the number for the best sports medicine doc in your area.

Welcome to the club (arthritic knees and tracking issues). I've started to play with the older guys at the Y now.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

BIZORT posted:

I've always had knee issues where they would swell up a bit if I stood in one place for a very long time or if I played ball for awhile. I'd just ice them or ride it out and they'd be ok the next day. Almost the minute I turned 30 it started to get to the point where I had to actually do something about it. I went to a physiotherapist and it turns out in one of my knees the ligaments grind against each other and I just have to do some exercises every day to correct it. Go see someone and see what's going on before you snap something.

I'm almost 6 months removed from ankle surgery and I played my first rec league game last night. I did not play very well but I played and didn't hurt myself. Got a few boards, missed a shot. The game moved pretty fast so I gotta get used to the speed again. I've played pickup games and played really well but full-court organized ball is something different. As is the loving zone defense everyone in league games plays here ugh. I've been here for about 5 years now. You'd think I would know how to play against a zone by now

Glad you're back balling my dude. You play down low mostly right? I feel bigs get boned by zone defenses the most cause it's so easy for a wing to get open for a j.

My tracking problem sounds like yours. Bending my knee / extending my leg makes a lovely mortar + pestle grinding noise. My ortho had me work out my glutes of all things which has helped.

cisneros posted:

This is me, too.

Loving all the older dudes in black Reebok low top runners. Playing with the 30 and over crowd has been pretty rewarding in the fun department. My free time is too sparse to waste with random scrimmages where dudes jack up bad shots / don't pass or play d / run next to you and clap for the ball while making bird noises.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 23, 2014

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

peer posted:

I feel like my form is much better than yours but I have a fear I'd look equally silly in a still image :smith:

Have you ever seen yourself shoot on film? If not, then yes, you probably look equally silly. I used to think my form was picturesque like Allan Houston's until we filmed our games. Very, very, very humbling.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Doltos posted:

My form is perfect and looks great. Too bad the ball never goes in.

My accuracy is pretty good, especially from 3 now that I am evolving to older dude spot up duty, but I have a bad habit of catching the ball, taking an unnecessary step in place before I RISE AND FIRE. It looks pretty retarded and adds unnecessary time to my release.

I can't seem to find the vid but Ray Allen has a little tutorial on how he squares up with an early plant/hop, even before he catches. Seems simple in theory but is a lot trickier in practice.

edit: Not the same video but he goes into it for a second: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bud84dpeXo

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 28, 2014

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

THE RED MENACE posted:

Think about it as stepping into (or away from) a shot. Shooting off a pass should incorporate the same footwork as shooting off a dribble. Busy feet!

Yup, I hear that, thanks man. I got the motion down pat off the dribble since I don't have to look at anything but the rim whereas off the pass, I'm frozen stiff staring at the ball as the pass comes to me; it's all mental. Time for some drills.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Doltos posted:

Who is the guttiest scrappiest hustlingest player that is actually really lazy and doesn't deserve any of those monikers because that's me.

Derek Fisher?

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I had those Fila Gran Hill sneakers in HS. The exterior was basically a rock-hard, not flexible boot mold with a lot of wiggle room in the ankle area. Terrible.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Plus they look nice.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

RCarr posted:

It's always the tallest dude on the court that feels like he's a shooter (and is also scared to enter the paint). You're 6'3. You should be absolutely dominating the paint and the boards.

Either that or the tallest dude is always trying to play point and gets stripped / turns it over.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Question bout shooting form.

Always have shot in an arc, but it's really hard making the ball reach the rim from a little beyond the key using my current form (yes I do use my legs, no jumping forward though). I found that it's extremely easy if extend my arms and raise my arm at the same time, ending up in more of a pushing motion. However I've always been under the impression that proper form should be to raise the shoulder slightly before you extend the shooting arm, resulting in a catapult motion. I've looked in the mirror before to try to see the difference, but it's really difficult to compare the shots since they are extremely similar in appearance. I'd appreciate any input!

I'd go with whatever works best for you TBH. My two favorite shooters of all time are Allan Houston and Steph Curry. The former has a more "catapult" stroke to it while I always found Steph Curry's form to be more of a pushing motion.

H2O's form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TeaMT8Lw3g
Curry's form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEQ9KXPTCbs

Unless you mean like a chest shot which means you probably need to get stronger if you're struggling from the top of the key.

Unrelated: I played on a concrete floor in NJ on Memorial day, my first time not inside a gym in years and my knees are still paying the price. Being 35 blows.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 30, 2014

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

BIZORT posted:

You don't need to be particularly great at traditional defense to be competent in a zone. It's a totally different thing from man defense. If you've played it enough then you'll be alright at it if you're putting any effort into it. I hadn't played a zone since 9th grade when I moved here but I remembered enough of it to the point that I had to tell my rec league team that they were doing it all wrong. A few games later we improved dramatically and got a lot better overall

My rec team plays zone a lot. Early on, our biggest issue was the other team having a 3rd wing who could shoot curl "up top" and our big didn't follow because his zone was "down low." Being on the same page is definitely a requirement, something you don't necessarily need if you're playing man.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 3, 2014

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
I'm 36 and I now I'm playing with the older guys at the Y with the sole mission of not getting hurt. It's pretty funny when they call me rook or young man. This is your future young bucks.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
:corsair: checking in. Getting old blows.

The good: Hit 14 straight college 3s warming up.
The bad: Tweaked my knee warming up and limped home.

Funny thing about 3 point shooting: I find it much easier to shoot elbow 3s then corner 3s. Conventional wisdom says the corner 3 is the easiest because of the distance but the better depth perception helps a lot imo.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

thompson posted:

So over the last 4 months I've been installing a Euro Step. Am I the only one who finds it easier to do with my off hand? I swear Euroing left, right, and then finishing left while protecting my left with my body is much easier than Euroing with my right. Anyways, just wanted to see if anyone else found this when they Euro.

That's weird man heh! Are you a right handed shooter who usually leaps off the left foot?

I like to do this too (without the dunking). It's similar to the classic left-right-left euro but here you bounce the ball to your right (the left side of the defender) then skip over to the left in one stride: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E-l-iiG_aA. It works really well in traffic, where that 2 step hop / stride allows you to go between two people more explosively than the classic Euro. It's especially great vs a shorty since you can cradle the ball over his head while you bring it over off the dribble.

Boosh! fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 29, 2015

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Anyone have a recommendation for some solid men's basketball shoes in the $60-100 price range? This might be useful to have in the OP.

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/zoom-hyperrev-2015-basketball-shoe/pid-1607480/pgid-10977356

on sale plus if you use "BACK2SPORT" you get an additional 20% off for a total of $71.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

havelock posted:

Tell me more. The 6s are my favorite shoe ever, but obviously long gone.

Long gone for you maybe. I still have a pair of these in the China colorway, and they're still in pretty great condition (since I hardly ball anymore and only busted them out for crucial rec league playoff games back then):

They really are fantastic ball kicks, probably my fave performance-wise.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
gently caress the guy who just parks his rear end in the post and just wants wrestle. Good workout though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

cravius posted:

Match bitch move with bitch move and call a 3 second violation

Hehe well, despite him it was a good crew and I may have found a cool indoor pickup scene that fits my sched. Definitely didn't want to alienate anyone with any 3 second calls or taking charges.

• Locked thread