Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

About two months ago I pulled my groin playing pickup and since then every time I play it comes back. Do I have an option other than not playing for a few months to heal it? First groin pull I've ever had

I'm almost willing to say gently caress it since the pain doesn't come until I've had a chance to sit for awhile and cool off

e: also tonight I got a pass stuffed back into my hand which hyperextended my finger backwards, and now it hurts like a motherfuck. This hasn't happened to me in probably a decade and I forgot how much it hurts. Any tips on healing faster?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

jimcunningham posted:

Light stretching, ice and heat, anti inflammatory. I didn't really move for about 3 weeks and it was fine. I didn't go to the doctor so I don't know if it was a strain or a pull or broken dick or what, but it hurt.

As I get older and less athletic (fatter), I find that young guys want to block everything, so work on pump faking and doing moves afterwards.
I'm 28, 6'7 380 lbs. Hadn't played basketball more than about 2 hours a year since early college days. I played against a 6'10 lanky kid that I pump faked out of his shorts almost every time. After he block my first three.
Especially off of a rebound if you are well defended, pump - spin/drive - layup.

This works even better if you've established a midrange jumper. With my group, I established that I can drill any uncontested dream shake (I practiced that move nonstop for years as a teen since I was/am a Rockets fan) so now anytime I get the ball in the post whoever I'm guarded by gets told to watch the turnaround, making a pumpfake and dropstep the easiest basket ever

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Should have said more along the lines of they have to jump toward me instead of straight up, basically sell out on the fadeaway

e: I'm probably not the best guy to give advice though granted, I'm an older guy who plays with other older guys, none of us are that good

Intruder fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 9, 2013

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

I think it's time for me to retire from pickup. I'm legitimately too old to be this consistently humiliated attempting to play sports.

Just do what I do: play with even older guys

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I've kind of given up on setting picks for most of the guys I play with because they stay about four to five feet away from me when they go by

There are maybe two or three guys who'll actually bump shoulders with me

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I have a pretty good jab step, unfortunately I have no jumper so tonight I got laughed at for jabbing since the man guarding me knew I wouldn't shoot and just took a couple steps back :saddowns:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I think the MourningView seal of approval can only be earned with a massive tomahawk

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Icy Penguigo posted:

I found out how true this is for the first time ever last week. I was the tallest, fastest, strongest, most coordinated person on the court and it felt unbelievable. I dunked on one kid, and also blocked one hard enough to put him on his rear end (he tried to call a foul and I had to gently explain how loving stupid he was)

I hate this poo poo, there's one guy I play with who'll call a foul basically any time he's blocked or gets the ball stolen. Unfortunately he's been playing with the group forever so it's not like he'll get chased away, and he doesn't care when people complain or talk poo poo about his lovely calls

I also really hate when people call fouls when you block their shot and on the follow through graze their arm or hand

cisneros posted:

Where I live, there's something like that but with indoor soccer fields, and it's pretty successful. It's like a hundred bucks per hour, and you just split it between the guys playing.

Color me surprised, I'd never think something like that would work out

Of course, i live within a mile or so of a park with about 10 free soccer fields

Intruder fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Aug 11, 2013

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

IanTheM posted:

Kid needs to go for the block so that you can crash into him, then land straddling him as he bleeds on the cement.

I want the kid to go for the block and actually get it, followed by 100 years of shame

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

e: nevermind missed where he wasn't actually your man. tell your teammates to step it up :mad:

What are the circumstances? Is he just blowing by his man? Is he coming free on pick and rolls?

Intruder fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 31, 2013

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Go to any church with a gym and ask if there's a pickup night

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I wish I could play with a team where there aren't at least two people ballwatching every time on defense

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

chunkles posted:

You should really ask for a trade from the Rockets

I did but they asked for three firsts for me which is crazy

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Also if you pull your groin for the love of god stop playing for awhile

I don't know when I'm going to be able to get back on the court since I played for months with a pulled groin until it became practically impossible for me to ignore the pain after playing

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

falconry posted:

Worst I've gotten in b-ball was a jambed middle finger trying at the last second to catch an errant full-court shot. Sounds funny, but holy poo poo, jambed fingers equal serious loving pain in my experience.

I've had my knee lock up multiple times in rec soccer though, so that's what I'm most paranoid about when playing ball. Seldomly happens in my sleep too, so I should probably get it checked out some time.

e: as an aside, the ankle roll from my last post cleared up in about a week with ice and elevation

Those injuries can definitely suck. Last year I made a two handed chest pass that my defender pushed back into my hand, and of course my fingers were fully extended at that point and so he's shoving the ball into my finger and my finger is shoving outward as I'm making the pass and next thing you know I have finger pain that takes six months to go away

Hell it was three or four days before I could even gingerly, painfully begin to bend the thing

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My favorite is the inexplicable badass. One of the regulars brought a relative who was like 6'8 but huge and fat, so it was no surprise he was able to body his way to every rebound. Then he started draining 3 after 3 after 3

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

One guy I play with is the best. He never wears shoes that aren't Jordans and apparently doesn't know how to tie them because he just tucks the laces inside. He throws up awful chest shots from four feet behind the line whether he's open or not but still manages to go on hot streaks where he'll hit five or six in a row from time to time. The rest of the time he airballs most of them. He also dribbles the ball around the three point line three or four times every time he touches the ball before either jacking one up or making a ridiculous behind the back pass that usually ends up either a turnover or forcing his target to sprint after it before it goes into the backcourt. Also every time someone hits a three while he's sitting he yells "Frazier!"

Seriously, everyone loves this guy

e: Oh forgot a couple things. Whenever his team needs one more point to win he says "Let me win it!" and if he touches the ball at any point he's guaranteed to throw up a shot. He also doesn't know how to shoot a layup, so one time he was way ahead on a breakaway and got the ball passed to him and he immediately dribbled out to the three point line and jacked up an airball

If we took this more seriously we'd probably like him a lot less instead of just laughing it off

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 30, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Nothing feels worse than beating a guy then blowing the layup

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Jack's Flow posted:

Doppelganger talk. Mark Price JJ Redick. I guess. Had one game in high school where I made 11-of-14 3-point shots. Good passer. Horrible defender who gambled on steals, and was really bad when it came to blocking out his guy. Also, my coach once berated me for not fouling enough because I averaged less than two fouls per game. More fouls = better than!

All of this explains my unconditional love for players like Ben Gordon.

edit: Downgraded my doppelganger because I basically just ran around and came off screens.

I definitely had coaches who thought that if you weren't committing fouls then it was a sign you weren't putting forward a good enough effort on defense

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

The guy who would unironically yell swish every time just before he clanked a long 3

The guy who yells "and 1" every time he's fouled and it never goes in

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The worst I ever do is "Bucket!" when I feel really good about a release. I don't know if that pisses people off or not. Also I usually miss

Makes up for the times I yell "Short!" on my own shot and it swishes

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Regnevelc posted:

Someone called 3 seconds when we were playing 5 on 5 one day vs some people we didn't know.

The next play, my buddy called 8 seconds up the court on the guy. The look on the guys face was hilarious.

This is pretty great

The guys I play with never actually call three seconds, but they will start loudly counting off seconds if you just park in the lane

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

"Hey batter batter, SWING batter batter" is a good one. Also if you get to play QB yell "Heat check" and chuck the ball into coverage every now and then

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I've found that in pickup, pump faking more than once it pretty useful. It's like most people can't even fathom that you're going to do it again. "The first one didn't work, so he's going to shoot for real this time!"

Pump fake, jab, pump fake, drive

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The B_36 posted:

As a defender, I love it when a guy pump fakes on me, because I'm a super quick jumper. I'll bite on most pump fakes because I love blocking shots, but even if the offensive player is smart enough to pump fake me a few times, I know I can quickly get back up to challenge the shot. This skill also helps alot with rebounding - Dennis Rodman was the best rebounder in NBA history because he could jump 2 or 3 times before most guys could get up once.

That being said, a good pump fake is a potent weapon against most defenders.

When I bite on a pump fake, the guy going up for another attempt on the shot is usually the least of my concerns :v:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

BIZORT posted:

I've never gotten mad at someone for not being any good. We're all there to have fun so I keep passing them the ball unless they have this look on their face or have the body language saying no don't pass me the ball right now. They'll miss 6 shots in a row but when they make one I'll make a point to tell them good shot or something like that. I have embraced the role of guy who makes jokes with the guy I'm guarding and encouraging guys on my team as I've gotten older. You'll get the ball a lot more for it, too, and they assume you're better than you probably are.

I'm the guy who apologizes after missing a few and starts passing up open looks, so I know exactly what you're talking about. It definitely helps to have teammates remind you that you should take them when you're open and they'll start dropping

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

JRizzle posted:

Where I play now, everyone tries to play on one court and it's awful. They're also really cliquey and have dumb rules for next. Like one person can call next and grab four people from the game that's being played, while a bunch of other people are waiting.

That's some bullshit right there

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I have a hard time believing that a majority of pickup players know how to implement a zone. Of course, I'm equally sure that very few know how to bust a zone either

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I can't imagine a zone in my pickup games but that's mostly because you have a huge array of ages and skill levels so there are some guys who would just get utterly abused if they weren't manning up on someone of a similar skill level

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

My favorite thing ever regarding pickup and "make it take it" was arguing with a guy who thought make it take it means that the team that didn't score gets the ball, and that I was thinking of "make it keep it"

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yo someone explain to me the proper way to shame the guy who gets trapped against the OOB line and calls timeout to keep possession

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Unfortunately this group has been playing together forever and for the most part, aside from arguing about it, let him have the call with the caveat that he can't call any more timeouts that night

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Regnevelc posted:

If you weren't playing the last game, you're playing in the next game. Winners stay. That's how we play. The people sitting out the longest get priority. We also shoot for teams.

I guess I play lame pickup rules, we play where the first 10 people play, the winning team stays and plays a second game, then after that each team that comes on plays two games then comes off

If a team coming on has less than five people who've been waiting the maximum time, we draw cards to see who else comes on. New arrivals jump to the front of the line

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

We play a kinder, gentler brand of pickup ;)

With no vicious dunks or fights of any kind

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Vicious jumphook airballs

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Playing with 2s is fun because it creates actual spacing, but also bad because everyone decides to start chucking like crazy

Finally, space to make real cuts but nope the ball is already on its way to the back of the rim

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

RCarr posted:

I never liked how if you are playing 1's and 2's, then 2 pointers become way more valuable. In the NBA a 3 is only worth 1.5 times what a normal bucket is. In pickup its worth twice as much.

In pickup there are a lot fewer guys who can regularly hit them

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

One time a buddy of mine drilled a 3 right when the power went out at the Y when I was in high school and shouted "He's shooting the lights out!"

That was pretty funny

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The joy of one of the biggest blocks I've had in recent memory was tempered by the fact that the dude jammed his knee into my quad (unintentionally) and I spent the next two or three weeks with a slight limp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Doltos posted:

The first game is the roughest game. You can always tell it's the first day of spring when half the guys on the court quit after a game or two.

I recently came back after three months off from a groin pull and holy poo poo it was rough, I was out of breath after like half of the first game

• Locked thread