Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Impper
May 10, 2003

If a guy loves switching hands and crossing over without moving a lot, pin his off arm to his body when you think he might switch hands. It's almost a guaranteed steal, and only great ballhandlers will burn you.

If somebody dribbles high, try to stick your hands under his when he's dribbling. Steal

Always shade somebody to their weak hand. Most guys playing pickup can't score or be effective with their offhand.

Most guys don't guard the ball when they're in a triple threat position or even when they're dribbling. Just get in and poke it away. This can be hard at first but once you get the knack for it it's dead simple.

If there's a weak player on the other team, try to ignore him to disrupt the other players. Soft zone it, especially if you're playing with somebody you know who'll guard the interior against a guy who can only hit wide open layups.

If you aren't getting the ball, talk to your teammates about passing it. Most guys will oblige every time.

Spend a little bit of time every day working on some skill or move.

Most people don't box out in pickup, so try to move to the open space as soon as the shot goes up. Some people are great at predicting where the ball will go (the other side of the basket from where the shot came from), but I generally have more success just avoiding the other guys.

Definitely learn how to perform an explosive first step from a triple threat or stationary dribbling position. Even a fat or slow person can get by most players because nobody moves their feet or performs proper defense in pickup. This will be the most valuable skill you can have other than generally being able to shoot.

If you're dribbling into a shot, always try to think of yourself as moving towards the basket (and actually move that way). This will tremendously improve your accuracy regardless of your shooting ability. Some people can shoot while fading away or moving side to side but most can't. I hit most of my pullups when I can focus on this and brick most when I don't.

BEEF: Balance, Eyes, Elbow, Follow through. Jimmer lists this in one of his videos, but it's essential to getting your shot right even if your form is wonky. The components are fairly simple. Focus on the basket...

Anyway, I used to be a great pickup player until my knee got hosed. I've been getting back in for a year or so, so I've been looking at a lot of sports medicine and workout sort of things, which has helped my health tremendously. These in particular:

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/5_superior_single_leg_exercises&cr=

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/the_essential_8_mobility_drills&cr=

After a good 5 months using these mobility drills, my knee is basically as good as it's ever been. I still can't explode like I used to and I'm fairly slow now, but it's great knowing that I can play for a few hours without looking forward to a few days of excruciating soreness.

p.s. if you dunk once before the game starts everybody will automatically assume you're a god even if you're hot garbage and prove it over and over. Don't I know this...

Impper fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impper
May 10, 2003

BIZORT posted:

Calling more than, like, one foul in a pickup game is pretty douchey in itself. If you know you didn't get him then he's trying to save face and I'm not helping some jerkoff out like that. You dont have to complain but it's well within your right to make fun of him or just say something about him calling fouls that don't exist

I've been playing at a gym where a ton of guys call fouls and everybody respects it every time. It's the weakest poo poo and I laugh at it every time. There was one game where it was game point for about 20 minutes, and the guy on the defending team had gotten so pissed off at that point that he was fouling on every play, and the guy that had kept calling them called the fouls every time. There was an audience of 15 people who laughed the whole way through

Impper
May 10, 2003

After my injury/long layoff, I'm not nearly as athletic or strong as I used to be, so I started working on my floater a lot more. It's an amazing shot . . . People don't use it all too often, and guys just refuse to guard it. I've popped a floater on a guy 4 or 5 times and he still doesn't guard it the next time. Scoring on poo poo like that will piss people off in a hurry. I really wish I'd learned this when I was still actually good.

Welp, I keep thinking of pickup now. If your team has strong rebounders, you should leak out every single time a shot goes up. I've played games to 11 where I've scored 5 points on that alone. Guys are usually too lazy or stupid to stop you, and after about two of them they'll start to complain that you're cherry-picking.

The asian players . . . Every injury I've suffered has been from an Asian.

Impper
May 10, 2003

Declan MacManus posted:

E: Also, Eurostep to Layup until I die :smug:

I've been working on eurosteps and most of the time it seems that it was pointless to do because guys don't move anyway

Impper
May 10, 2003

I think jamming your fingers has a lot to do with luck. But you're doing it every day so that's probably on you . . . In six or seven years of pickup ball I probably jammed a finger 20 or 30 times, but in the last year I haven't jammed a finger once. also lol @ calling charges

Impper
May 10, 2003

mikeraskol posted:

Anyone know some good ways to improve your ballhandling skills?

I'm a pretty solid spot up shooter, and move without the ball in order to get open shots, but when I'm forced to put the ball on the floor I'm just terrible, I either get shut down quickly or they swipe the ball away.

Youtube videos. Lots of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impper
May 10, 2003

I use steroids & HGH & amphetamines then before every pickup game I take a monster dose of clenbuterol. King of the Courts Baby!

• Locked thread