Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BIZORT posted:

Just keep in mind it's a pickup game and not the NBA finals.

This is the most important point in the whole thread. Basketball is fun, people play to have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

This thread brought me out of my pickup hiatus and I wasn't completely terrible! I do want to start and international court to try people who stop running back on d and letting games degenerate into Lob Ball for crimes against basketball though.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

cisneros posted:

What I can't take is their constant cherrypicking, every 2 plays or so someone won't go back to defense, and there's at least 1 guy that will straight up just stay under the other basket.

That is literally not basketball, gently caress those people.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Yeah, the best way to play pickup is to find a group of folks to play with consistently that you know are not complete knuckleheads. I know I play way better with my buddies than just a bunch of randoms because we all know where we like the ball and move around without the ball and make passes and will actually pass me the ball when I'm wide open instead of playing one on five hero ball while everyone just stands around and tries to get the inevitable rebound. More importantly, I like playing with my buddies because I know they're not assholes and don't take things way too seriously.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Playing pickup basketball with your buddies is the best thing in the world because you can give each other the fist antlers when you assist each other.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Basketball is a game, it is fun, go have fun and play basketball.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Cherry picking lob passes are not loving basketball and if I could I would just walk off the court and do something else once that starts happening because it's a complete waste of my time.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

elbow him or her in the sternum

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

If that happens again, just claim that the move is a crab dribble.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Wear a suit on the sidelines and draw up plays for your buddies. Look the part, be the part, motherfucker.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I'm basically blind, but if I didn't wear contacts, I'd definitely be balling in some Horace Grant-style goggles.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dog Jones posted:

I hosed up and told some guys I had never played with before that I was left handed way early in a game today.

Yeah, my secret leftiness is pretty much the only way I can score in pickup games until they figure out I can only go left and then I'm done.

Actually, I'm usually done when teams literally look at me for two seconds and see how appallingly unathletic I am and then I spend the rest of the game futilely running up and down the court never touching the ball and probably guarding the other lovely guy who never touches the ball on their team.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Dogs Bower posted:

Cut hard to the hole and set screens. Eventually your gonna be so open when you roll or cut that your teammates would be idiots to not pass to you. Also you'll open space for other people to score. IF your team wins you get to keep playing so it doesn't matter if what you isn't related to scoring. I am a big believer in that idea.

I do those things, but I usually play with a bunch of knucklehead college students who are much younger than me and would rather play kobeball than actually pass to an open person who the other team has literally stopped guarding.

e: In their defense, it takes me half a game to figure out who is on my team and I often fall prey to the unsporting "here pass it to me" subterfuge which is really embarrassing.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I think it's time for me to retire from pickup. I'm legitimately too old to be this consistently humiliated attempting to play sports.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

When I play pickup basketball, I constantly scream GET THAT poo poo, NOAH, never close my mouth, play matador defense, and use shoe polish on my bald head.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

e: Oh forgot a couple things. Whenever his team needs one more point to win he says "Let me win it!" and if he touches the ball at any point he's guaranteed to throw up a shot. He also doesn't know how to shoot a layup, so one time he was way ahead on a breakaway and got the ball passed to him and he immediately dribbled out to the three point line and jacked up an airball

If we took this more seriously we'd probably like him a lot less instead of just laughing it off

That's the best pickup basketball move of all time.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mine is Anthony Bennett because I am comically inept at playing basketball.

e: and any team that picks me up instantaneously regrets it

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 30, 2014

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

There's someone unironically posting about having killer instinct in pickup basketball games and I just want to pause and savor that for a little while.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It's important to let people know when you are dropping bombs on their moms.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I don't know much about sports, but I do know that anyone who asks the internet for flag football-related taunts before playing flag football is more likely to be humiliatingly owned in a flag football game more than any other human being in the history of flag football.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Fall on the ground and shout "MY VALVE"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I believe it's a modified version of a zone defense that occurs when the opposing team realizes how poo poo I am at basketball and actively just stops guarding me since no one in their right mind would pass the ball to me if they want to win.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Intruder posted:

Unfortunately this group has been playing together forever and for the most part, aside from arguing about it, let him have the call with the caveat that he can't call any more timeouts that night

You should have told him he was out of timeouts, T'd him up, and then vacated all of his wins for accepting money from a booster.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Does anyone's pickup court have time fracture wickets or a Pernicious Poem Place?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Played my first game in ages today. Managed to get some boards, grab some hustle points, box some dudes out, and only get blown by a couple times. The other team was playing some sort of weird zone and I got some open looks by moving into space, but it's hard for me to figure out how to set off-ball picks against a zone.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BIZORT posted:

I don't think picks help in a zone all that much unless you and your teammates sort of bunch up in an area on the court. If you're spread out, like you'd normally be, and set a pick and get past one guy then you still have two more waiting so there's really no point. It's all about cuts to the basket and finding soft spots

Good to know, that's what I ended up doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

BIZORT posted:

A friend of mine, who plays in a middling rec league here in Australia, played against a team that had a former NBA Player named Darrell Waters, who I never heard of and had to Google him. It looks like he had a cup of coffee in the preseason or something like that. Of course, this guy dominated everyone even though he's almost 40 and has a bad knee or something like that. What was funny about it, though, was he was hitting layups and getting and-1s on guys on my friend's team and he'd turn around and muscle flex on them, which my friend got really mad about it. Really, though, if you were an old NBA player wouldn't you just go to middling rec leagues and just clown guys and flex on them? Because that's the first thing I'd do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOw8aC78LoU

• Locked thread