Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Don't ever get old, basketball dudes...Old man rant incoming...

Seriously, I'm 37 and haven't played in probably 7 or 8 years. I recently started shooting baskets for a few hours a week at a local college. It's great...no one but me there if I go during the day. But, holy poo poo is my body not what it was in my late 20s.

I used to be able to play full court a couple times a week and be just fine. Now, I shoot baskets and my knees and feet ache like crazy.

Aside from feeling like I'm going to fall to pieces after an hour of shooting, there's nothing like having a gym all to yourself with nothing but the sound of the ball dribbling and the swish of the net.

Didn't realize how much I missed it. Wish I could find an over 35 game around my area but internet searches have turned up nothing.

Edit: read back a couple pages to best indoor ball chat. I picked up a Wilson Evolution...best ball I've ever played with.

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

havelock posted:

Since I'm back in my home town but too sick to drop in on my old pickup game, a rules question instead.
Is stepping through after an up and under a travel? Ie, do you have to jump off of both feet?

For example, using your right foot as pivot you face up and shot fake. The defender bites so you pivot again on your right, stepping your left foot inside of the defender. If you then step through (by lifting your pivot and jumping off your left foot) is that a travel?

I think it is, but it probably doesn't matter because no one in pickup cares.

It's a travel unless you're in the NBA. You apparently get 9 steps in the NBA.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

danucleus posted:

Actually, as long as the ball is released before the pivot foot touches the ground again, all is kosher.

see Traveling:
http://www.nba.com/nba101/misunderstood_0708.html

Interesting. I was going to say I think the college rule is different than the NBA but it doesn't appear to be:

Art. 3. After coming to a stop and establishing the pivot foot:

a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the playing court, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;64 Rule 4 / definitions

I still think they call traveling on that scenario. I think about it this way:

You're one on one near the hoop with a defender in front of you. You stop, pump fake and he bites so you rotate on your pivot foot (right foot say), take a step with your left foot and jump off both feet simultaneously releasing the ball. That isn't a travel to me.

Same scenario but instead of jumping off both feet, you jump off just your left foot, it's a travel to me. Jumping off only your left gives you the ability to cover WAY more ground and makes it counter to what the travel rule is in place for.

But now I'm going to have to pay more attention watching college ball to see how they call it.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

If someone doesn't purposely move their leg to touch the ball it is legal.

Example: If you are standing still and someone throws a pass that hits your foot/leg/knee/whatever, it's still a live ball. Also if you are moving but looking the other direction/etc. If you are moving and looking at the ball it will always get called a kick because it's usually too iffy to prove otherwise(although it technically is legal if you didn't purposely kick it).

Other notorious pickup rules that are called wrong:

If you attempt a shot, and air-ball it, you can get your own rebound. As long as it is a legit shot attempt, it doesn't matter if it touches anything. It is not a self pass. It's legal to rebound it yourself.

If the ball touches the top of the backboard, it is still in play. It is only a dead ball/turnover if it goes OVER the backboard.

If the ball hits the top of the backboard it's in play but you can't rebound your own airball. That's a travel. Has to hit backboard or rim before you touch it again. That's why dudes throw it off the backboard to themselves for a dunk.

Otherwise they would just ally pop it to themselves.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

RCarr posted:

The NBA is the only level of basketball in the world where it is a violation. High school / NCAA / Junior College / Foreign Leagues / Rec Leagues / Pick up Games all allow it.

They can't alley-oop it to them selves because it's not a shot attempt. If it's a legit shot attempt you absolutely can rebound your own airball.

I guess you could argue that the NBA is the highest form of basketball so you should follow those rules, but in that vein if you are gonna call that in a pick up game you might as well call 3 in the key, 8 second back court, and other violations. You should also paint a giant NBA 3 point line on the court too.

Can't believe I didn't know that. That's crazy. Honestly, I think it's a dumb rule. Should always be a travel in my mind.

I mean especially in pick up games where you always have "that guy." You know, the one that drives to the hoop, elevates with nowhere to go, drops the ball and says the defender touched it and then gathers it back and scores.

That rule just seems like it'd be so easy to abuse.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

becoming the old guy... :negative:

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Where's Mr. Surprisingly Athletic For a Fat Dude, though?

Seems like there's always been that husky kid that would be really good if he weren't overweight but is still good.

Or Mr. I'm 6'8"but have never played basketball in my life, dude.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

and its v fun to do a bunch of different things on offense

I agree. I mean in most of the pickup games I played in, I could get around my defender almost every time with my quickness/fakes but honestly it isn't that fun doing the same thing every time down the court. jab step, go around defender and make a layup or dump it off to someone else for a layup.

I would always mix it up, pass the ball (even to the dude that no one would pass to). Keep the game close and then go to the easy points moves at the end in "winning time" lol. Of course, sometimes it wouldn't work and my team would lose but yeah...it's a pickup game, who gives a poo poo. Unless you're talking about a league or something where you're actually playing seriously for something.

Nothing worse than that team that just takes advantage of their one mismatch over and over and over for an easy win. Now queue the "winning is everything" replies. :)

Scrapez fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 21, 2015

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

havelock posted:

I'm over 30 and only 6' tall with no hops. My best post move is a fade away jumper off the glass. Where the hell do I start?

Pump fake, layup. No one fakes in pickup ball.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I'd like to add "wears a bunch of axe body spray" guy to the stereotypes. Seems like it must be a thing with younger dudes.

There was a guy playing at the far end of the gym today with so much Axe on that it was overpowering at the other end of the gym.

I'm all for dudes wearing deodorant but holy poo poo.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Intruder posted:

For me and my friends we always played that every shot could be tipped, including missed tips, so if you tried to tip someone you were in danger of getting tipped yourself. Each make was 2 points, you had to take it back if you weren't tipping it, you get three free throws and if you make them all you take it out from up top. If you have 20 and miss your FT you go back to 15, a tip takes you to 0 no matter how many points you have

We played same way but counted 3 pointers if the line was marked. Missing free throw at 20 took you back to 13. Tips to 0.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Shield the ball with your body. Only way to protect it.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

danucleus posted:

Man I did a poor job presenting my problem. I guess I'm talking about after picking up dribble, and also contest balls (such as a just received pass) where there is just not enough space to start the dribble before the other guy puts his hands on the ball

For the latter, a jab step is your friend. Get the defender moving to one side and create space and then drive the opposite way. Just make sure you practice going left and right.

The biggest thing is not to do the same move every time. Generally in pickup games, if I'm defending someone, I'll figure out their go to move pretty quickly and be ready for it. So if a guy puts his head down and dribbles right every time he catches the ball, I'll time it and tap it away after the second time he does it or so. A big part of your problem might be that you do the same thing every time you catch the ball.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Intruder posted:

The side busted out of one of my shoes and so I got new ones, now it seems like the new ones are collecting every speck of dust and every drop of sweat and I'm sliding all over the floor. What do you guys do to keep your shoes nice and grippy? I've never had this issue before

Some soles are worse than others about this. I remember I had a pair of Jordans back in the day. Can't remember what model but they had like a clear looking sole. They were awful. I ended up getting a different pair of shoes they were so bad.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

TheFallenEvincar posted:

As the "overweight" dude in pickup for the longest time I kind of relied on being the energy guy with a post game and an okay jump shot
Now I lost a billion pounds in the last two months or so and I'm returning to pickup as a basically totally different person with a normal frame for a dude my height. And I've totally lost all post game ability, obviously, I've got no Big Baby mass or Mark Jackson rear end anymore.
Any good moves you guys recommend now that I have no idea how I play basketball now. Anything good involving elbows? I might just try a Reverse Diaw. Or maybe ill just dribble nimbly aimlessly and shoot a lot of fade away midrange jumpshots, I think I've earned that.

Learn some handles and practice your jumper.

You used to rely on size/strength to create space, now you're going to have to do it with fakes/quickness.

Extend your range...

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

RaySmuckles posted:

Hey guys, played a couple pick up games today, and I definitely need to improve my game. The Steve Nash video in the OP doesn't work, does anyone have any recommendations for self drills, or 2 person drills? Thanks.

Especially recommendations for improving speed? I got fat and slow.

You can't really improve your speed unless you lose weight or gain muscle.

The slower you get, the more you have to rely on fakes. The good news is that no one uses them so they work really well in pick up games.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Boosh! posted:

:corsair: checking in. Getting old blows.

The good: Hit 14 straight college 3s warming up.
The bad: Tweaked my knee warming up and limped home.

Funny thing about 3 point shooting: I find it much easier to shoot elbow 3s then corner 3s. Conventional wisdom says the corner 3 is the easiest because of the distance but the better depth perception helps a lot imo.

Elbow 3s are definitely way easier for me. Top of the key around the elbows. Corner threes are tough. I was always impressed with the guys that could make them consistently because it's easier to get open down there on the baseline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

iamsosmrt posted:

You good 3 point shooters, how consistent are you in practice? 3 pointers are generally my main offense (I'm short and unathletic) but I'd say in practice I'm probably around 60% on a good day. I see the guy posting about hitting 14 in a row though, which I've never done. I think i've gotten to around 10-12 a few times in my life but usually I'll hit maybe 3-6 in a row before a miss or two.

I definitely hit a lot higher percentage when practicing. In a game situation, you can't always get squared up and set, not to mention some dude flying through the air at you.

That said, I probably hit 75%+ if I'm practicing just set position shots. A dribble for rhythm and shoot. Now, a lot of the time when I'm practicing 3s, I'm starting in the lane, throwing the ball up in the air out to the 3 point line, letting it bounce as I sprint out to the elbow, catching it to simulate a pass and then shooting. When I do this, I'm under 50%.

Practicing set shots is great and you need to do that but I get much more out of simulating what I'm going to be doing in an actual game which is sprinting out to the 3 point line to leave my defender, catching a pass and shooting before he can recover.

I've seen a lot of guys that were dead-eye shooters in practice when they could take their time and be set but you get them in a game where there is someone guarding them and they drop way off because they just stand in one spot or if they move to get open, they can't stop and make a shot.

• Locked thread