Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

BigLeafyTree posted:

Keeps vs. No-Keeps: If you're playing keeps the team that scores keeps possession of the ball after scoring. If it's no-keeps the team that just got scored on gets the ball after a basket. Keeps isn't used much if you're playing fullcourt. Don't use keeps if the teams are grossly uneven because the weaker team will rarely get the ball.

Bump: Everyone lines up either at the foul line or at the 3 (depending on skill level), and the first 2 people in line have a ball. You shoot and if you miss, chase the ball down and put it in as fast as you can. If the person behind you gets their ball in before you do, you're out. Keep passing the ball to the people waiting at the front of the line and keep going until there's one person left standing. Here's a video for easier understanding: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ez1_DUgTwA

Rules you might use:
-no interfering with other player's shots
-second person in line can't shoot until the first player's ball has hit the rim
-first and second place in the last round are first and second in line the next round

I'm not sure where you're from, but I've never heard either of these terms. Not trying to start a soda/pop/Coke type argument, but I've always heard Keeps referred to as Make It, Take It and Bump referred to as Knockout.

Also, there is nothing more satisfying to me in a pickup game than hitting a guy cutting to the basket with a sweet bounce pass out of the post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

If I'm just screwing around with friends and not really keeping score, I'll shuffle in front of dudes and take ridiculous flops, but if you actually seriously try to draw charges in a pickup game then you deserve ridicule.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

It would probably be like trying to call someone for palming or 3 in the key.

Has anyone here tried running a pick and roll in pickup? There were two guys that used to be high school teammates at the court the other day that were running the court with it but I was wondering if it'd be difficult/in bad taste to do it with someone you just met.

Pick and roll is like the most fundamental play in basketball. I don't think anyone will get mad if you do it, although whenever I play, pick and pop is much more common just because the lane is always clogged.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Can someone explain to me how to actually shoot a proper hook shot? I've been trying off and on to learn this for years and it's never stuck. All I can do is a kind of baby hook going across the lane like a 6'2" white unathletic Dwight Howard.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

americanzero4128 posted:

Do people call over the back in pickup games? I haven't played pickup in a few years, since I moved away from the college town, and I have been scarred by one rear end in a top hat going over the back on me every rebound. I am talking one hand on my back using me as a springboard type over the back, not just once in a while, focused on the ball, type poo poo. I never called it because half the time I got the rebound and the other half it was a toss up between whether he got it or I tipped it to a teammate, but one guy we played with was like "You need to call the over the back man" and I never had before, and haven't heard a rule/etiquette one way or the other on it.

Also, just got a pass to the YMCA, ready to ball it up with some old white dudes Saturday morning.

If it's not egregious, let it go, but what you're describing? Yeah, call that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Doltos posted:

Is there a general shooting motion that I should have down or should I just shoot in a way that works for me? I have this awful technique on my 3 point shot that looks like Marion's jump shots, but it works, and I'm not sure if I should keep doing it or correct the technique before it gets even uglier.

Well, if it works it works, but you definitely need to be aware of how low your release point is with that kind of motion and be wary of blocks. Personally, I try to bring the ball to face level before even starting my motion buy ymmv and all.

• Locked thread