Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
Paint-Drinking Pete
Apr 9, 2009

Poor people are stupid and it's funny when bad things happen to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

Hell think of it this way, if she's too stupid to keep ahold of her winnings, then she's *way* too stupid to not just blow every last dollar of her assistance, so really she's encouraging economic growth on two fronts. Every dollar spent on food stamps generates something like 2+ in GDP. Let her keep spending.

Macintyre
May 6, 2006
Slow Rider

de_dust posted:

The whole story is kind of funny and sad. I know it would feel good just to cut her off because she won a lottery and spent it on dumb stuff... but you can't just let her starve.

Too late, they did cut her off. The State's hotline was getting hammered with calls from upset citizens. She is now off of Government assistance.

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

really piss me off.

Macintyre posted:

Too late, they did cut her off. The State's hotline was getting hammered with calls from upset citizens. She is now off of Government assistance.

The amount of tax dollars wasted on employee salaries answering all the calls, along with the wasted time of the callers that could have been working probably dwarfed the yearly cost of food stamps for one person.

Macintyre
May 6, 2006
Slow Rider

ArchDemon posted:

The amount of tax dollars wasted on employee salaries answering all the calls, along with the wasted time of the callers that could have been working probably dwarfed the yearly cost of food stamps for one person.

Given that it was only going on for a couple hours, you're probably incorrect.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Oh, hey, cool, it's a ridiculously rare case that will be touted as an example of how everyone on Wellfare is rich and lazy, will prove, totally, that Wellfare is completely corrupt and broken, and will probably fuel a new wave of 'gently caress you wellfare-queens!' reforms.

Those are always great. Because that's what America's real problem is. A handful of people bilking the government out of a few hundred dollars a month, even though they've got some money.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

A guy at work yesterday said the reason that social security is in a bind is "cocaine babies".

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Your authority is not recognized in Fort Kickass.

Leon Einstein posted:

A guy at work yesterday said the reason that social security is in a bind is "cocaine babies".

I had no idea cocaine was so big between 1946 and 1964.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I hate stories like this because it's inevitable that they will be used as evidence of government waste and welfare queens. I bet I'll have one of those "FWD: FWD: YOU'RE TAX DOLLARS AT WORK!" emails citing this in my inbox before tomorrow.

If a few people end up on assistance that shouldn't be who cares? It's $200/month, and it's money that goes straight back into the community immediately. It's probably more wasteful trying to find people that shouldn't be on assistance than it would be just to pay out to 100% of applicants.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

fantastic

Let's overhaul the entire welfare system with emphasis on poor people winning the lottery (literally or metaphorically).
Lottery winners are the newer, hipper welfare queen boogeymen.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

If you're a savvy investor, the lump sum pays off better over the long term. Taking the installment, the value diminishes over time due to inflation.

If you're any kind of investor it's still better than what they give you, which is probably no interest at all.

For anyone that doesn't know what we're on about : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_value_of_money

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

Leon Einstein posted:

What does Paris Hilton have to do with this?

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Well, hopefully she'll read this post and realize how much the internet scorns her. She may even find out what happens when Shepard uses the Catalyst to destroy the mass relay system, killing all synthetics and allowing organic life to make their own destiny, even if that means that eventually they will create synthetics again that could kill them. (Of course this might create a dark age so lol sorry galactic society!). But if he uses the Catalyst to take control of the Reapers, then that's it. Also, if he uses the Catalyst to merge organic and synthetic life, ending the cycle once and for all, through the power of SPACE MAGIC, then that's another way Mass Effect 3 can end.

Not an Anthem
Apr 27, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

Clearly we should end public assistance because the original poster is against it.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

ArchDemon posted:

Obviously since this one person abused the system it is horrible and should be removed forever.

Exactly, because of this woman, I realize that my pregnant fiance and our 4 y\o no longer really need WIC after all! No, you can't have any cereal baby, some woman on the other side of the country did a thing.

Vilerat posted:

I don't think anybody in this thread has made this point...

In this thread, no, but it's the implicit argument in reporting the story in the first place, and will be the explicit argument made by conservatives ( I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up in one of mitt romney or ron paul's speeches ).

Ebjan
Feb 20, 2004

I actually feel sorry for her. She is clueless and has a pretty big chance she'll be right back in poverty in less than five years. Every Tom, Dick and Jane knows her name and how much money she has now. Family is going to be knocking on her door asking for help for whatever scam.

Over here when some one wins the lottery they sit the person down and give them financial help.

KiloVictorDongs
Apr 12, 2007
Not emo, I swear.

Don't we end up getting like 1.6 dollars back in the economy for each dollar spent on food stamps?

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

really piss me off.

KiloVictorDongs posted:

Don't we end up getting like 1.6 dollars back in the economy for each dollar spent on food stamps?

At least that much, yes.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

ArchDemon posted:

At least that much, yes.

So why not put everybody in the country on food stamps so we can make money?

I don't seriously think that, but that's an argument you'll hear after throwing out that tidbit.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Skyworks posted:

. Finding a loophole is what rich people do, call it a learning curve.

Technically she is a rich person.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Your words are as empty as your cereal bowl. I am the Vanguard of your Hanzo steel's destruction. This exchange is over...

clammy posted:

then that's another way Mass Effect 3 can end.

Huh, people still think pulling a "SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE HARHAR GOT YOU FAGITS" is cool...

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3594 days!

Another thread that some how made it to three pages, considering the comments who the gently caress knows why...Toot on SA! Toot on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Niwrad posted:

Technically she is a rich person.

She probably owns TWO refrigerators!

«3 »