Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.
I am told that the chemicals in some fire extinguishers may weaken metals, so I cleaned it off posthaste and you might want to clean off that toaster as well. Still, as far as our health is concerned, not so bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Cadbury Chef: Final Round!

We haven't heard from our good friend Paula Deen in a little while. Let's see what she recommends for a .. hmm.. chocolate custard, to bring this little project full circle?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/chocolate-creme-brulee-recipe/index.html

...The recipe starts with 1 quart of heavy cream. :blarggh:

Okay, this could be salvageable..

...Or at least Cadburiable.

Cream, and in place of sugar and cocoa, 7 Cadbury eggs ought to be sweet enough. I added 1 TBP vanilla, and 1 TBP rum extract. I figured either that or espresso powder would be a way to kick the recipe slightly away from "pure fat and sugar" zone, though what is creme brulee without those two flavors predominating?

The "eggs" are tempered into the cream, stirring regularly until the cream takes a single moment's inattention to boil over. I guess that means it's done!

Pour into six ramekins, then place in a water bath in the oven to bake for 50 minutes at 450 degrees fahrenheit.

Sprinkled with ultrafine baker's sugar on top and broiled instead of torched, as I've had enough brushes with fire today and 2 am is not the time to bust out a propane torch.

Now for the amazing fact: The revised Cadbury version of this recipe has nearly 1/3 less calories than the original. (460 vs 650) Let's hear it for Paula Deen.

This coming Easter evening I will of course post my credits, thanks, and a recap of everything I've learned. This Cadbury experience has now drawn to a close.

I want to thank everyone for visiting, from GWS, PYF and everywhere else, and say thank you for joining in on how fun this has been! :woop:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Taft Punk posted:

Now for the amazing fact: The revised Cadbury version of this recipe has nearly 1/3 less calories than the original. (460 vs 650) Let's hear it for Paula Deen.

This is too hilarious

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
How did the "pickled" eggs turn out? I didn't see any further mention of them, and it's exactly the sort of gross thing that I would copy, if they're vaguely edible.

Asbestos
Jun 2, 2004

techknight posted:

How did the "pickled" eggs turn out? I didn't see any further mention of them, and it's exactly the sort of gross thing that I would copy, if they're vaguely edible.

my money is on them dissolving, and separating into chocolate and 'cream' strata on the bottom of the jar, underneath the most disgusting color liquid ever witnessed by man.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Well, now that I know the context behind the Cadbury balut: :golfclap:, Empty Sandwich. I apologize.

Taft, thanks for an incredible journey. With a salute and a diabetic stroke, I say unto you adfabjia;d ag.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

pork never goes bad posted:

IM NOTICING A DISTINCT LACK OF CUSTARDMAKING AND/OR EGG EATING FROM OUR NEWFRIENDS

See how easy making a chocolate custard pie and taking a horrible cell phone picture of a slice of it is, Ricola? You have brought shame to yourself, and diabetes to Taft Punk, by not making a custard.

You monster.

Lady Charlemagne
Apr 23, 2008

GOD I'M TIRED
This is the best Easter present ever. Jesus has returned and he smiles upon Taft Punk.

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

An amazing thing has happened. We have witnessed a thing of beauty.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

So! In this last couple of weeks, I have learned that custards set just perfectly with no real eggs, though it takes overnight, Paula Deen recipes cause abdominal distress for twelve to twenty hours, and that you should always pipe your frosting onto something at the same spot you plan on photographing it on.

I also learned that goons love a good train wreck, and that you can, in fact train a human to wince at the sight of a Cadbury egg in a Pavlovian manner -- the family-in-law was very thoughtful and left us each a Cadbury egg on our dinner plate.

Pickled egg results:

After a day and a half pickling, the egg was noticeably lighter, but lost no external definition.

When broken open, the contents were mostly unchanged. I suspect a couple more days in the drink would have continued the transformation.

One of the housemates and a fellow goon trying one of the pickled eggs -- he reported that he likes neither Rockstar nor Cadbury eggs, but that them combined was not entirely horrible.

He's still alive and not in a hospital, I promise.

This concludes the Cadbury Challenge. I hope you enjoyed it, and I'll be monitoring my bloodsugar results for weeks to come. Have a happy Easter!

To wash out the Cadbury taste, have some bunnies!

And some chickens.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

:golfclap:

This was magnificent. Thank you Taft Punk.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Tremendous. Tremendous.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:
PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU POST IN THIS THREAD, FAILURE TO MAKE A CUSTARD AND FAILURE TO COMPLETE THE PENALTY CHALLENGE MAY RESULT IN MODERATOR INTERVENTION NOT LIMITED TO HUMILIATING CUSTOM TITLES
:siren::siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

So many new friends! I'll just put this here.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

gently caress.

Is there a new deadline that doesn't require a DeLorean?

PS gently caress Ricola

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

pork never goes bad posted:

IM NOTICING A DISTINCT LACK OF CUSTARDMAKING AND/OR EGG EATING FROM OUR NEWFRIENDS

poo poo-goddamn. I know at this point never to post in a thread without carefully reading the OP, dammit. Thank you for the reminder.

Gonna make a cheesecake. Gonna make it fast. :ohdear:

EDIT: 25 minutes from horrified realization to finished (but uncooked) cheesecake. (It's in the oven now. I just don't want to bring shame upon my account.) I even added some SPECIAL TOPPINGS in honor of Taft Punk's diabetic sacrifice:

Thank you, Taft Punk. I learned even more about Cadbury Eggs.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

GrAviTy84 posted:

This seems a little unfair, given that the deadline has passed. But yeah, alright, I guess I'll whip something up when I can do groceries again. Wednesday, thursday maybe. Weekend at the latest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCJ-600
Apr 17, 2001
No need; I think we're good here.