Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Nilbop posted:

Wait a second aren't Obsidian essentially toxic?

They've been consistently hosed over by publishers (Bethesda promised them a completion bonus on New Vegas if it got a metascore of 85 or higher. It got an 84, mostly due to bugs. Bethesda did the QA) over the years, but they make drat fine RPGs.

New Vegas is the real Fallout 3. No, really - it picks up from where Fallout 2 left off, and has gameplay and writing much more on par with the first two games.

And anyone that says that Obsidian can't make a polished game? You could practically see your own reflection in Dungeon Siege 3, and that was the one game in the past few years that they had full control over the development of.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Damnnnn Obsidian collabo! If isn't well over $2.1 million when time starts running out I'm definitely gonna bump my contribution from $15 to $100.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back
I usually don't like to kick in support on a game as long as it's going to be completed for sure because I don't like waiting for a delivery of a game that could take years to come out. It's why I liked how Banner saga had a five dollar option, because I think it's cool as hell and plan on supporting it when comes out but don't want to wring my hands till then.

Obsidian is one of my favorite companies and I'm sure as hell going to support them being part of this however.

Gutrot
Dec 17, 2004

you're*
Black Isle studios reunion tour?
That's a pledge upper.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

signalnoise posted:

I wish I could pledge additional money only on the condition they hit 2.1

You functionally can. Pledge more now and then if they don't hit 2.1 by the final day draw your pledge back down to whatever it is now.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

As posted by Smol over in the Steam thread, this is why you should be excited about Obsidian being involved in Wasteland 2:

This is an incomplete (there's some options not shown here) completion flowchart for a single sidequest in Fallout: New Vegas. Look at those options, and look how many branches open up based on character development and abilities.

That kind of design is so rare in RPGs these days.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I dunno I kind of prefer a simple kill self vs kill others scenario. Nice and simple. You could even make it a game-ender! (DONATE TO THIS KICKSTARTER)

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Gutrot posted:

Black Isle studios reunion tour?
That's a pledge upper.

Not sure how much to pledge anymore :)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

Hell Gem
These news have to hit more sites, pronto. Why aren't the PR guys doing their job? :argh:

signalnoise posted:

I dunno I kind of prefer a simple kill self vs kill others scenario. Nice and simple. You could even make it a game-ender!
Could we please, please keep that topic out of this thread? Thank you.

r1ngwthszzors posted:

Not sure how much to pledge anymore :)
Your money. All of it. :toot:

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

signalnoise posted:

(DONATE TO THIS KICKSTARTER)

I just did!

I haven't even played any of the originals. I never heard about Wasteland before this thread, and I played Fallout Tactics before I tried Fallout and just couldn't get over the interface. I just bought them all in the recent Steam deal and I WILL play through 1 + 2 if it kills me.

I have played plenty of Avellone and Obsidian's other stuff to convince me though.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

So is Brian working on an official update email right now or what? Not that I don't believe RPS, I just don't want to get too excited before it's official.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HondaCivet posted:

So is Brian working on an official update email right now or what? Not that I don't believe RPS, I just don't want to get too excited before it's official.

Fargo linked to the RPS article on Twitter with the comment "Here's the news I was hinting at" so yeah, it's legit. Upgrading my pledge now.

I wonder if they can get Avellone to sign the collectors edition boxes?

Also they should put rope kid on this project please.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee
An important clarification from Brian Fargo via email:

Brian Fargo posted:

Also important to note that [Obsidian's] contribution is purely in design. We are doing all the code here.

HondaCivet posted:

He's already sent the following presser to a number of websites:

quote:

inXile to collaborate with Obsidian on the design of Wasteland 2!

Newport Beach, CA - March 30, 2012 - inXile entertainment confirmed today that they have reached an agreement with award-winning RPG developer Obsidian Entertainment to collaborate on the game design and writing for their Wasteland 2 project if the funding level reaches $2,100,000. Obsidian’s Chief Creative Officer Chris Avellone will be working directly with the design team at inXile to help bring the world of Wasteland together. Avellone stated, "Wasteland is one of my favorite RPGs of all time, and when Brian asked if I wanted to work on the sequel, I jumped at the chance. While I've worked on Fallout 2 and Fallout: New Vegas, getting the chance to work on the spiritual successor to the Fallout franchise is a honor." Brian Fargo added, “I have a history with the guys at Obsidian that dates back to the days of Interplay’s Black Isle studios. Together we created some of the greatest RPG’s of all time, from Fallout 1 & 2 to titles like Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment. It is great that we now have a chance to reunite on a project like Wasteland 2.”

In addition to Chris Avellone's help, Obsidian will be lending the experience they have in the development of RPG games and tools to inXile. Fargo believes this collaboration will allow him to focus more energy on the game, “Obsidian has an incredible library of story, dialog and design tools that they have used to create hits like Neverwinter Nights 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II, and of course, Fallout: New Vegas. Regardless of the tech we use to develop the game, experience with these tools will help us efficiently design the game without wasting time and resources on the tools needed for development.”

Wasteland still has 17 days remaining until the Kickstarter funding ends. At this time the project has around 33,000 backers and has raised more than $1,650,000. In addition to the PC version, inXile has officially announced Mac OS X and Linux versions of Wasteland 2.

InXile is also announcing a solution for everyone who wants to back the project, but who live in a country where backing it on Kickstarter is just not possible. Fargo reports, “We want to let everyone know that we are now accepting PayPal pledges directly though the Wasteland web portal. Some of our biggest fans come from Germany and Eastern Europe, yet they have been unable to support us through the Kickstarter/Amazon pay system. We now have an alternative PayPal site set up for such gamers at Wasteland.inXile-entertainment.com.”

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

All right, you got me Fargo. Decided to back because I enjoy Avellone's works.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I wouldn't be surprised if it's 90% PR.

The mention a big chunk of it is is licensing Obsidian's tools/engine, and then presumably a couple Obsidian devs might do some minor area design/collaboration.

I wouldn't be surprised if Obsidian's primary contribution was supporting the toolset/Onyx(?) engine.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I guess I'll be throwing in for this, then. Yikes.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Personally, I'm glad that Obsidian's help is purely design and hopefully, writing, since that's what they're excellent at. They're absolutely, completely shithive awful at nearly everything else, so hopefully this collab gives us a game with great gameplay and excellent writing, and not one or the other.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Fintilgin posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if it's 90% PR.

The mention a big chunk of it is is licensing Obsidian's tools/engine, and then presumably a couple Obsidian devs might do some minor area design/collaboration.

I wouldn't be surprised if Obsidian's primary contribution was supporting the toolset/Onyx(?) engine.

Oh probably. I'm sure a big chunk of the extra $500k goes to licensing the toolkit. But on the flip side, if someone like Avellone is going to have his name associated with the project, he'll likely want to be involved enough to make sure it isn't a complete washout. And he has all those old Van Buren design docs just gathering dust...

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Any confirmation if this includes rope kid? That would more than double my pledge. poo poo, I might go $1000 and see if I can get the "Sword of Wrathraven" put into the game.

Is that how you spell his name? I think he left the forums, but a dude with a bulbasaur avatar posted about Icewind Dale and finding a sword with his user name on it, and he posted about it so excitedly then rope kid had to explain it was something the game did for everyone, based on the name of the character they put in.

Leb
Jan 15, 2004

Change came to America on November the 4th, 2008, in the form of an unassuming Senator from the state of Illinois.
Welp, Avellone equals pledge.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Occupation posted:

Personally, I'm glad that Obsidian's help is purely design and hopefully, writing, since that's what they're excellent at. They're absolutely, completely shithive awful at nearly everything else, so hopefully this collab gives us a game with great gameplay and excellent writing, and not one or the other.

This isn't true at all, but keep perpetuating that loving notion.

Seriously, they had months of developing time cut on almost every major project.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

AxeManiac posted:

Any confirmation if this includes rope kid? That would more than double my pledge. poo poo, I might go $1000 and see if I can get the "Sword of Wrathraven" put into the game.
The $1000-level pledges have been sold out for two weeks (I snagged like the 4th to the last one), so you'd need to go up to $2500 for something like this.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Haha holy crap

edit: even better

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 30, 2012

seal it with a kiss
Sep 14, 2007

:3
Threw in my $15 after hearing the Obsidian announcement. Hope it happens!

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Dominic White posted:

They've been consistently hosed over by publishers (Bethesda promised them a completion bonus on New Vegas if it got a metascore of 85 or higher. It got an 84, mostly due to bugs. Bethesda did the QA) over the years, but they make drat fine RPGs.

New Vegas is the real Fallout 3. No, really - it picks up from where Fallout 2 left off, and has gameplay and writing much more on par with the first two games.

And anyone that says that Obsidian can't make a polished game? You could practically see your own reflection in Dungeon Siege 3, and that was the one game in the past few years that they had full control over the development of.

Anyone who read the Brian Fargo interview from a couple of pages ago shouldn't be surprised that a lot of independent developers get hosed over by publishers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Just take it, take all my money. Changed $50 to $100.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
You mentioned Chris Avellone.

You obtain $150 more.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Okay I finally decided to become a backer. $15 for now, but I might go up to $75 later.

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

Donated $115. Anything that Chris Avellone touches gets my support. ANYTHING.

To be honest I'd been kinda "eeeeehhh" about donating because I never played Wasteland, and Fallout 1+2 are the games I truly fell in love with. But I have to admit, just hearing that Obsidian could very well be a part of this production got me to pull the trigger. I hope to god the total makes it to 2.1 million.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I'm really torn about this announcement. On the one hand, I couldn't be more thrilled at the prospect of adding Chris Avellone and any other Obsidian folks to the project. They're the company I most want to support via kickstarter. On the other hand, it feels a little slimy to make that participation depend on a new, higher donation level. Yes, there are probably licensing fees, but we're already well over half a million above the original goal. That money was supposed to go to creating a bigger world with more choices, which is exactly what partnering with Obsidian is going to make easier. Essentially, I feel like we've already paid for this, and now Brian Fargo wants more.

I still upped my pledge (by more than double), but the details leave a kind of a bad taste in my mouth.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

seorin posted:

On the other hand, it feels a little slimy to make that participation depend on a new, higher donation level. Yes, there are probably licensing fees, but we're already well over half a million above the original goal. That money was supposed to go to creating a bigger world with more choices, which is exactly what partnering with Obsidian is going to make easier. Essentially, I feel like we've already paid for this, and now Brian Fargo wants more.

Keep in mind that they need to pay the wages of whoever from Obsidian comes to join the party. If the game is going to be in development for over a year, then that means a lot of cash if they bring in more than a couple of people.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

seorin posted:

I'm really torn about this announcement. On the one hand, I couldn't be more thrilled at the prospect of adding Chris Avellone and any other Obsidian folks to the project. They're the company I most want to support via kickstarter. On the other hand, it feels a little slimy to make that participation depend on a new, higher donation level. Yes, there are probably licensing fees, but we're already well over half a million above the original goal. That money was supposed to go to creating a bigger world with more choices, which is exactly what partnering with Obsidian is going to make easier. Essentially, I feel like we've already paid for this, and now Brian Fargo wants more.

I still upped my pledge (by more than double), but the details leave a kind of a bad taste in my mouth.

Well I imagine Obsidian is going to work on a contract basis, which this is to pay for. So think of it as Obsidian's getting paid a $400,000 or so for their contract work.

This means that Obsidian gets some needed cash, as well as possibly greatly improving Wasteland 2.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
Ugh, this sucks; I'd rather Obsidian work on something on their own rather than work with someone else, or for someone else as the wording implies. I don't even want wasteland 2, but I have to support Obsidian so...

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Edit: Nevermind.

This news did make me pledge, though!

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

seorin posted:

He wants more...so he can give you more. Do you think Obsidian are volunteering their time? I'm baffled at your suspicion.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

seorin posted:

You did already pay for that, so you're already getting it. They aren't saying that you WONT get a bigger world now unless obsidian gets on board. More money always means more people working on the game and an even more fleshed out game world. In this case, the additional money wont mean more people within inXile, but instead people from Obsidian.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

seorin posted:

In comparison to the other things that Fargo has done to increase publicity and generate more cash for Wasteland 2 (Kicking it Forward, placating NMA, whatever the hell that "social networking" comment was), this one's pretty innocent and at least somewhat logical, since Obsidian's strength is in design and writing.

It's not like that horrible Class of Heroes 2 kickstarter with its literally holding a better translation hostage or something, this is at least intuitive and marries well with his original vision.

Ed: yeah, and like the guys above me said, it's not like Obsidian can work for free. They gotta pay the bills too, you know.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

theblackw0lf posted:

Well I imagine Obsidian is going to work on a contract basis, which this is to pay for. So think of it as Obsidian's getting paid a $400,000 or so for their contract work.

This means that Obsidian gets some needed cash, as well as possibly greatly improving Wasteland 2.

Also imagine most of the Obsidian dudes are doing this as a passion project, most of them started in this business because of Wasteland and Fallout.

Also consider backing them so you can finally have a project where Obsidian can't say "The publisher didn't support us".

Everyone wins, plus we get Obsidian working on the game, they have straight up video game gods working for them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Hmmm, massive thread bump out of nowhere. Did a rabid pedophile fanboy kill Fargo or something? ....

"OBSIDIAN JOINING WASTELAND 2"

Holy poo poo sticks! This is pretty much on par with the day we got news Obsidian was going to handle New Vegas. So so so beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Everyone should chip in because this is probably the closest we'll get to an Obsidian Kickstarter.

• Locked thread